hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Official Randy Wittman Thread - It's Playoff Randy Time LOL 

Post#1 » by hands11 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:40 am

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Randy_Wittman"

For those not up on all things Randy

College

6'6" Wittman played college basketball at Indiana University, winning an NCAA championship playing for Bobby Knight in 1981, and was the Big Ten Player of the Year in 1983. He became a member of the university's Hall of Fame and was named to Indiana’s Silver Anniversary Basketball Team, in March 1996.

Professionals

Wittman was selected by the Washington Bullets with the 22nd pick of the 1983 NBA Draft. However, he never played for the Bullets, his rights being traded to the Atlanta Hawks.

Wittman spent the early portion of his career with the Hawks, sharing backcourt with Glenn "Doc" Rivers and Anthony "Spud" Webb, and starting most of the games from 1985-88 (while averaging 12 points and 3.5 assists in those years combined).

After a small spell with the Sacramento Kings, he became a fringe player with the Indiana Pacers, retiring in 1991-92 after three unassuming years. For his career, Wittman averaged 7.4 points, 1.1 rebounds and 2.2 assists per game, shooting just over 50% from the field.

Announcement Interview
http://www.nba.com/wizards/video/2012/0 ... ov-1976688" target="_blank" target="_blank" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Long version 25 minutes
http://www.nba.com/wizards/video/2012/0 ... p4-1976560" target="_blank" target="_blank" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Interesting to hear Randy say he is the polar opposite of Flip.

- He would have walked if he didn't think they weren't better then they have played
- You will earn your minutes.
- Time to separate work and play. That has been mixed together to much.
- Mistakes will be tolerated but not half rss mistakes because of lack of effort
- Tempo will be increased but not running wild. Advance the ball to half court quickly.
- You'll be on the floor if you are playing the right way. If not, back to the bench for some rest.
- You will earn your minutes.
- They are focused on getting Wall to play the right way because if he does, other will follow.
- Simplify things. No time for information overload. Focus on 2-3 things.
- EG.. accumulated young talent that could get packaged in a trade later. They have caps space.

Who should be the next head coach thread
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=1149023" target="_blank" target="_blank" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ST21
Junior
And1: 1

Re: Randy Wittman Thread - Good Luck - You'll Need It 

Post#2 » by ST21 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:51 am

hands11 wrote:
- He would have walked if he didn't think they weren't better then they have played

as soon as he said that i knew he was full of ****..

i do like what he said about forcing the tempo though. and he also acknowledged we waste too much shot clock time. and he plans to improve that..

these 2 things alone will drastically improve our offense if he actually enforces it and the players buy in.
@garretts703 on twitter
keynote
General Manager
And1: 2,587

Post#3 » by keynote » Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:28 am

Always remember, my friend: the world will change again. And you may have to come back through everywhere you've been.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,968

Post#4 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:42 am

The good news is Wittman will do better than Flip Saunders.

The bad news is if he does as well as I fear, the Wizards may have very little shot at Anthony Davis. I believe the roster is way better than how the players played previously. All it will take is different substitutions and a new coaching emphasis to make this team better than about 4 or 5 other NBA team.

We shall see.
Bye bye Beal.
mandurugo
Starter
And1: 231

Post#5 » by mandurugo » Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:49 am

Wittman was brutal for the Wolves, if he hasn't improved he will not be better than Flip. For the sake of Washington fans I hope he has improved. Good luck.
hands11
Banned User

Post#6 » by hands11 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:25 am

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:The good news is Wittman will do better than Flip Saunders.

The bad news is if he does as well as I fear, the Wizards may have very little shot at Anthony Davis. I believe the roster is way better than how the players played previously. All it will take is different substitutions and a new coaching emphasis to make this team better than about 4 or 5 other NBA team.

We shall see.

But as we have found, there are always gems beyond the first 5 picks in most drafts.

And there is the lottery that doesn't always dish those higher picks to the worst teams.

And this team has caps space and huge expiring contract.

With wins will come more valuable assets to trade. With loses, come more ping pong balls. Its a win win. Just a wag. I say there is more to gain by winning and developing the assets that are already here.
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,506

Post#7 » by closg00 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:26 am

ST21 wrote:
hands11 wrote:

as soon as he said that i knew he was full of ****..

i do like what he said about forcing the tempo though. and he also acknowledged we waste too much shot clock time. and he plans to improve that..

these 2 things alone will drastically improve our offense if he actually enforces it and the players buy in.

THIS was encouraging, both Wittman and Ernie both spoke about playing to our strengths via an up-tempo offense, not fast-break points mind-you, but through an up-tempo offense. However, this made me cringe.
We don’t have the big bruiser inside to throw the ball to, to create double teams, to slug it out, at this point, so tempo has to increase.

I hope this^ doesn't mean that Wittman does not see the value of encouraging McGee's developing post-game. And what about Seraphin, is he chopped liva? I thought he was our bruiser in-training :dontknow:
hands11
Banned User

Post#8 » by hands11 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:50 am

I think what they are saying is they don't have an established post game.

It would be stretch to call McGee and KS that. I think they will still run post plays to develop them. I think they just meant no one is going to double team them so the defense shift to open other shots.

What they do have are young legs that should at a minimum be able to get the ball over half court quickly so they can get into their sets sooner. They want to run their plays with quickness and effort. You know, the stuff that drive many here nuts. Watching Nick job around picks. Watching Dray walk to his spot. Watching half effort picks.

If the play calls for you to be in a spot and you are going to let the clock wind down for some reason. Run to that spot, then stand. Don't walk there. It's lazy.

They want other teams to have to respond to their quickness and younger legs. That means more Booker for sure. That means when McGee and Dray get winded, they are coming out.
dangermouse
Lead Assistant
And1: 814

Re: The Randy Wittman Thread - Good Luck - You'll Need It 

Post#9 » by dangermouse » Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:43 am

hands11 wrote:- Mistakes will be tolerated but not half rss mistakes because of lack of effort

McGee: "Phew!"

Blatche: "Doh!"
long suffrin' boulez fan wrote:
NatP4 wrote:but why would the pacers want Mahinmi's contract

Well, in fairness, we took Mike Pence off their hands. Taking back Mahinmi is the least they can do.
hands11
Banned User

Re: The Randy Wittman Thread - Good Luck - You'll Need It 

Post#10 » by hands11 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:23 am

Congrats Randy. You beat a very bad Bob Cats team.

Post game was good.

played 11 players. Says if you wanta run, you are going to have to put in extra practice and get in shape to do it.

http://espn.go.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=320125027
hands11
Banned User

Re: The Randy Wittman Thread - Your New Head Coach 

Post#11 » by hands11 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:14 pm

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/wi ... ory_1.html

“The last time, I tried to invent the game of basketball,” said Wittman, who didn’t last two full years with the Timberwolves, “and I learned from that.”

Saunders was not a confrontational coach, choosing to dole out discipline in more passive-aggressive ways. Wittman doesn’t take the same approach, which he said helped them become an effective tandem, especially in Minnesota, where they worked together for all but two years between 1994 and 2005 and advanced to the conference finals in 2004.

We are kind of polar opposites,” Wittman said of him and Saunders. “I’m doing what I know to do. This is how I coach. You know what, most things people have ever told me when I’ve taken over jobs is be yourself. I can’t be anybody but myself.”

Wittman demanded assurances from Wizards President Ernie Grunfeld that he would have the ability and support to run the team the way he sees fit. He let his players know before their first shoot-around what would be tolerated and what would lead to extended time sitting on the bench.

“Coach Witt, as well as Ernie, they was very stern with their words and what they said, how we’re going to run things around here, put their foot down right away,” said veteran Rashard Lewis. “The only way you’re going to be able to earn minutes on the main court is you’ve got to get better on the practice court. It’s not going to be given, you’ve got to come in here work hard and improve your game. You’re not going to just be given any minutes.”

With a lockout-shortened season, Wittman won’t have the opportunity to make many dramatic adjustments, but said he will hold his players accountable for not giving their all on the floor.

“I’m not the miracle maker here. We’ve got to change our outlook on how we play. Sometimes when you have such a young team, players get a little confused I think when the word ‘development’ is used, that they are going to be able to develop with just playing,” Wittman said. “There’s two ways to play. You can play very hard with heart and determination and screw up and that’s okay. But if you screw up without effort, heart and determination, I’m not going to play you. We’re not going to play a perfect game. There hasn’t been a perfect game played. We’re going to make mistakes. Make them good mistakes, hard mistakes. That’s what we’ve got to do.”

--

Sounds good to me.
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,961

Post#12 » by FAH1223 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:17 pm

Beating the Bobcats is all he's going to do

He's a sucky head coach and good for the tank
hands11
Banned User

Post#13 » by hands11 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:51 am

Randy does not suck as a HC
hands11
Banned User

Post#14 » by hands11 » Sun Mar 4, 2012 8:25 pm

I think this team is turning the corner before our very eyes.

Randy has done a lot of good things since he has taken over. The roster changes have been good and so have the offense changes.

The are 6-13 with him as HC which is .315

GS coming off a back to back on the road traveling from TOR may be rip for the taking.

Then things start getting nasty.

Wed, Mar 7 vs Los Angeles 7:00 PM - L
Sat, Mar 10 vs Portland - L
Mon, Mar 12 vs SA on the road - L
Tue, Mar 13 vs Dallas on the road back to back - L
Thu, Mar 15 vs New Orleans on the road - W - hopefully Nick is gone by then.

So I can see them going 2-4 before getting

Then 3 more road games against ATL, MEM and NJ
hands11
Banned User

Post#15 » by hands11 » Tue Mar 6, 2012 8:16 pm

http://www.nba.com/wizards/video/2012/0 ... p4-2025421

Randy trying to take responsibility for the lose but says he isn't putting up with it. So what happens next ? Shorter leash ? Different rotation ? We will see.

Says the game was lost in the locker room. I would have to agree.
tontoz
RealGM
And1: 3,824

Post#16 » by tontoz » Tue Mar 6, 2012 8:42 pm

I like how he is holding players accountable for their play. I also like his willingness to experiment with different lineups.
"bulky agile perimeter bone crunch pick setting draymond green" WizD
TheBigThree
Starter
And1: 124

Post#17 » by TheBigThree » Thu Mar 8, 2012 2:59 am

Phenomenally coached game by Randy. He does seem to have instilled a sense of urgency in these players. They're not talented to bring it every night but he's playing the guys that genuinely want to play and play within the system.

Definitely deserves some props for the win.
DallasShalDune
Bench Warmer

Post#18 » by DallasShalDune » Thu Mar 8, 2012 3:01 am

I'm not in favor at this point, but how bad an idea would it be to keep him around for longer than just this year?
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,961

Post#19 » by FAH1223 » Thu Mar 8, 2012 4:06 am

DallasShalDune wrote:I'm not in favor at this point, but how bad an idea would it be to keep him around for longer than just this year?

No. Just no.

He needs to go at the end of the season. Hire Joerger, hire a young assistant coach from a winning program with a track record of success. Clean house with the coaching and front office. It must be done
DallasShalDune
Bench Warmer

Post#20 » by DallasShalDune » Thu Mar 8, 2012 4:16 am

FAH1223 wrote:
DallasShalDune wrote:I'm not in favor at this point, but how bad an idea would it be to keep him around for longer than just this year?

No. Just no.

He needs to go at the end of the season. Hire Joerger, hire a young assistant coach from a winning program with a track record of success. Clean house with the coaching and front office. It must be done

I'm agreeing with you. I want to clean house and start fresh. The last time we did that, we put a decent team on the floor (Gil, Antawn, Hughes-then-Butler).

I will say that Witt's done a good job. Better than Flip, for certain, and I even like him more than Eddie "I Look Like A Catfish" Jordan.

Return to Washington Wizards