Bill Simmons now ranks Dirk the 2nd greatest PF ever.

Moderators: penbeast0, trex_8063, PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier

mysticbb
Banned User
And1: 713

Re: Bill Simmons now ranks Dirk the 2nd greatest PF ever. 

Post#41 » by mysticbb » Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:51 pm

Balki-B wrote:Although Barkely and Malone are statistically in the discussion, they are also both automatically disqualified because they've never won a ring.

Swap Malone or Barkley with McHale. Do you think the Celtics would have won even one championship less with either Karl Malone or Charles Barkley instead of McHale on the team? I would argue that they would have been improved with such a move. And that's what should be evaluated when we are talking about players, not some rings someone won, because the circumstances were good for him. Brian Cardinal did not become a better player, only because he now has won a championship. Neither did Dirk Nowitzki or Jason Kidd.

Karl Malone played great basketball, had a huge impact even really late in his career. Charles Barkley was probably the best offensive power forward ever, that should count for something. Look at how they played basketball and how much of an impact the individual players had on that, not at championships won.

Imagine Nowitzki suffers more than just a minor injury to his finger in the first game of the finals last year, imagine he had suffered a broken wrist and would have been out. No championship for the Mavericks. What would be the argument here? Would Nowitzki now be a worse player? The logic behind the "ring argument" is completely absurd, given the fact that it is influenced by circumstances a lot. Putting someone like McHale ahead of Barkley or Malone, because McHale won some rings as a 2nd/3rd fiddle is just wrong.
mihail_petkov
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,431

Post#42 » by mihail_petkov » Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:05 pm

Dirk is too overrated after the championship.
Therapist
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#43 » by Therapist » Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:06 pm

mihail_petkov wrote:Dirk is too overrated after the championship.

Dirk was too underrated before his championship.
Kobe2ndFiddle
Sixth Man
And1: 3

Post#44 » by Kobe2ndFiddle » Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:08 pm

Therapist wrote:

MVP voting says you're wrong.
Therapist
Sophomore

Post#45 » by Therapist » Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:09 pm

Kobe2ndFiddle wrote:
Therapist wrote:

Come on now.. You're gonna sit there and have Kobe in your username and use MVP voting as a metric to measure someone's abilities?
richboy
RealGM
And1: 2,486

Post#46 » by richboy » Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:13 pm

mysticbb wrote:
Balki-B wrote:Although Barkely and Malone are statistically in the discussion, they are also both automatically disqualified because they've never won a ring.

Swap Malone or Barkley with McHale. Do you think the Celtics would have won even one championship less with either Karl Malone or Charles Barkley instead of McHale on the team? I would argue that they would have been improved with such a move. And that's what should be evaluated when we are talking about players, not some rings someone won, because the circumstances were good for him. Brian Cardinal did not become a better player, only because he now has won a championship. Neither did Dirk Nowitzki or Jason Kidd.

Karl Malone played great basketball, had a huge impact even really late in his career. Charles Barkley was probably the best offensive power forward ever, that should count for something. Look at how they played basketball and how much of an impact the individual players had on that, not at championships won.

Imagine Nowitzki suffers more than just a minor injury to his finger in the first game of the finals last year, imagine he had suffered a broken wrist and would have been out. No championship for the Mavericks. What would be the argument here? Would Nowitzki now be a worse player? The logic behind the "ring argument" is completely absurd, given the fact that it is influenced by circumstances a lot. Putting someone like McHale ahead of Barkley or Malone, because McHale won some rings as a 2nd/3rd fiddle is just wrong.

Who is Malone running PNR with on the Celtics. Lets not ignore the fact Malone was being fed by one of the greatest point guards in league history. Are the Celtics going to run 50 PNR with Malone when they have Bird and Parish as well.

Just to note if you ask Charles Barkley he would say Kevin Mchale is better than him and Karl Malone.
"Talent is God-given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful." John Wooden
narmerguy
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,052

Post#47 » by narmerguy » Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:19 pm

Gosh everyone is on Dirk's nuts after he wins one championship. Suddenly his fadeaway is God's gift to basketball but he's had that shot for years and somehow teams seemed just fine beating him. The dude had a good run, I agree, awesome job, phenomenal player.

Better than Duncan? Wtf. Better than KG? Let's consider offense and defense here. Dirk has been historically great on only one side of the ball. But whatever, I know in three years no one will be mentioning Dirk in this conversation because everyone's going to be on to whoever else the last championship winner was.
dice
RealGM
And1: 12,495

Post#48 » by dice » Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:21 pm

Therapist wrote:
Kobe2ndFiddle wrote:
Therapist wrote:Dirk was too underrated before his championship.

Come on now.. You're gonna sit there and have Kobe in your username and use MVP voting as a metric to measure someone's abilities?

he's not suggesting the MVP votes are an indicator of ability. he's saying that MVP votes are a measure of media respect. and by that criteria, dirk was not underrated before winning a title

dirk has been elite or near-elite offensively and poor in all other areas of the game
barkley was even better offensively and an excellent rebounder
malone was also better offensively, a strong rebounder and good defensively, playing at an all-star level 'till age THIRTY-SEVEN

dirk's ring does not bridge the gap between him and barkley, let alone him and malone. and the fact that dirk coasted early in the season after winning a ring does not lead me to believe he's ever gonna get there

malone
barkley
dirk
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
Therapist
Sophomore

Post#49 » by Therapist » Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:23 pm

dice wrote:he's not suggesting the MVP votes are an indicator of ability. he's saying that MVP votes are a measure of media respect. and by that criteria, dirk was not underrated before winning a title

dirk has been elite offensively and poor in all other areas of the game

I can't say that Dirk isn't poor in all other areas of the game but he won the MVP award because he was the best player on the best team. I just didn't know that anyone really puts much thought into it (the voters) as to who gets the award. So I guess I don't consider it as a measure of media respect moreso as a here's your reward for having the best record.
Tubal
Rookie
And1: 38

Post#50 » by Tubal » Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:23 pm

1. Malone
2. Barkley
3. Duncan (gets extra points for 4 rings)
4. KG
5. Dirk

I think Duncan gets overrated because he lead some talented Spurs teams. He's a career 20/11 guy.
richboy
RealGM
And1: 2,486

Post#51 » by richboy » Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:27 pm

narmerguy wrote:Gosh everyone is on Dirk's nuts after he wins one championship. Suddenly his fadeaway is God's gift to basketball but he's had that shot for years and somehow teams seemed just fine beating him. The dude had a good run, I agree, awesome job, phenomenal player.

Better than Duncan? Wtf. Better than KG? Let's consider offense and defense here. Dirk has been historically great on only one side of the ball. But whatever, I know in three years no one will be mentioning Dirk in this conversation because everyone's going to be on to whoever else the last championship winner was.

Dirk defense has been underrated. One of the reasons why IMO Dirk is very close if not better than KG is because KG offense is overrated. That KG who in his prime was taking a ton of shots just to score mid to low 20s. KG suffers historically because people penalize him for being on mediocre Minnesota teams. If he was on better teams I'm not sure he would have gotten the 18-20 shots per game he was getting. Great defensive player but more of a Scottie Pippen level offensive talent.
"Talent is God-given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful." John Wooden
dice
RealGM

Post#52 » by dice » Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:28 pm

Therapist wrote:he won the MVP award because he was the best player on the best team. I just didn't know that anyone really puts much thought into it (the voters) as to who gets the award. So I guess I don't consider it as a measure of media respect moreso as a here's your reward for having the best record.

i'll agree with that, but i still think he was appropriately respected, in part due to that MVP
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
Therapist
Sophomore

Post#53 » by Therapist » Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:28 pm

dice wrote:
Therapist wrote:he won the MVP award because he was the best player on the best team. I just didn't know that anyone really puts much thought into it (the voters) as to who gets the award. So I guess I don't consider it as a measure of media respect moreso as a here's your reward for having the best record.

i'll agree with that, but i still think he was appropriately respected, in part due to that MVP

Fair enough, I would probably change my mind now and say that he was appropriately rated or just barely underrated before the championship but it's getting to the point where he could be grossly overrated post title.
JunkYardSubs
General Manager
And1: 149

Post#54 » by JunkYardSubs » Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:30 pm

Duncan is better than Garnett guys
C-izMe
Banned User
And1: 15

Post#55 » by C-izMe » Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:31 pm

Tubal wrote:1. Malone
2. Barkley
3. Duncan (gets extra points for 4 rings)
4. KG
5. Dirk

I think Duncan gets overrated because he lead some talented Spurs teams. He's a career 20/11 guy.

Archerbro
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,219

Post#56 » by Archerbro » Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:31 pm

Kobe2ndFiddle wrote:
PippenAintEasy wrote:
Kobe2ndFiddle wrote:McHale
Barkely
Malone
Garnett
Duncan (yes he's a PF)

so which one of these guys is Dirk better than ? I'll wait all day.

Mchale easily. Barkley maybe. Malone, probably not.

is this a joke ?

I am now starting to realize that any superstar who wins a championship in this era will become GREATLY overrated. Even my favorite player has fallen victim to the media and fans overrating him to high heavens.

This bullshh has to stop immediately, Dirk is not better than ANYONE I listed, at all.

not sure you can build around mchale. He had a good low post game, and honestly his potential was there for top pf he just never got there.

Barkley-this one's tough. I take Dirk because he was in tip shape and did everything he could possibly do for a championship. Barkley repeatedly was out of shape.

Barkley's peak imo is higher than Dirk's, but Dirk's career overall is better.

Garnett-this one has been debated for the ages. Garnett is the better defensive player, and has as much as dirk. But there's something to be said winning it as "the guy." the thing abuot the 08 run, simmons even attests to-he realized Garnett could never be a #1 guy on a championship team.

I don't know, he got close in 04-but the fact that dirk's teams have never missed the playoffs since 00, and finals mvp -is arguable.
Archerbro
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,219

Post#57 » by Archerbro » Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:34 pm

mysticbb wrote:

agreed, but imo that Game 2 towards the end changed everything............and that in game 6 he played like absolute crap and "closed the game"
dice
RealGM

Post#58 » by dice » Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:35 pm

richboy wrote:Dirk defense has been underrated

well, you could make an argument for mediocre, anyway

KG....Great defensive player but more of a Scottie Pippen level offensive talent.

that's a pretty good analogy. both had excellent all-around games with the exception of being merely pretty good offensively. scottie 6 rings as clear #2 guy, garnett with 1 as #1 guy. interesting player comparison
dice
RealGM

Post#59 » by dice » Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:38 pm

Therapist wrote:
dice wrote:

Fair enough, I would probably change my mind now and say that he was appropriately rated or just barely underrated before the championship but it's getting to the point where he could be grossly overrated post title.

agreed

*highfive*
Ron Harper
Assistant Coach
And1: 2

Post#60 » by Ron Harper » Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:39 pm

Jay10 wrote:isn't duncan better than garnett?

all day every day
Keith Bogans does his job. Boo Hoo. You want him to quit?

Return to Player Comparisons