Bears Free Agent Signings

Moderator: chitownsports4ever

emperorjones
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 133

TIM JENNINGS SIGNS TWO-YEAR DEAL TO STAY WITH BEARS 

Post#1 » by emperorjones » Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:44 pm

The Chicago Bears announced Tuesday that they have re-signed cornerback Tim Jennings. Jennings and the Bears reached a two-year deal.

Though he was benched temporarily late last season and is undersized at 5-foot-8, 185, Jennings is a physical, feisty cornerback. He’s started 28 games over the past two years, securing three interceptions and forcing two fumbles.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... ith-bears/
BIGGIEsmalls 23
Banned User
And1: 810

Bears Free Agent Signings 

Post#2 » by BIGGIEsmalls 23 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:46 pm

I figured that I'd make a separate thread for the Bears signings & re-signings. That way we can have the other thread for other NFL signings & re-signings.

I will start with the Tim Jennings news.

I guess this means that we're not signing any FA corners.

We just re-signed Jennings.

ESPNChiBears Dickerson and Wright
Bears re-sign CB Tim Jennings to 2-year deal.

http://twitter.com/intent/user?screen_name=ESPNChiBears
BIGGIEsmalls 23
Banned User

Re: TIM JENNINGS SIGNS TWO-YEAR DEAL TO STAY WITH BEARS 

Post#3 » by BIGGIEsmalls 23 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:47 pm

We noted last week the dearth of cornerback depth on the Chicago Bears roster as free agency approached. Starter Charles Tillman and nickel back D.J. Moore were the only players under contract at the position, and at that point there were no indications that two-year starter Tim Jennings would return.

As it often does, however, that story changed in a hurry Tuesday afternoon. Jennings signed a two-year contract about an hour before the free-agent market was set to open. He has been a reliable if unspectacular starter over the past two seasons, appearing in all 32 games and starting 28 of them, and I'm guessing the Bears figured they had more important priorities to address than spending their premium money on a starting-caliber cornerback.

Former starters Corey Graham and Zack Bowman appear set to hit the free-agent market, but for now the Bears have their top three cornerbacks from 2011 under contract.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/ ... ngs-return

EDIT: You can delete or merge my Bears Free Agent Thread, Emp.

I was typing mine while you were submitting this one. I was trying to make a separate thread for ONLY Bears signings.
Cliff Levingston
RealGM
And1: 1,094

Re: Bears Free Agent Signings 

Post#4 » by Cliff Levingston » Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:51 pm

BIGGIEsmalls 23 wrote:I figured that I'd make a separate thread for the Bears signings & re-signings. That way we can have the other thread for other NFL signings & re-signings.

I will start with the Tim Jennings news.

I guess this means that we're not signing any FA corners.

We just re-signed Jennings.

Bears re-sign CB Tim Jennings to 2-year deal.

Stopgap. Stick with the guy who's done a decent job and make him look better with Super Mario terrorizing QBs along with Julius Peppers.
BIGGIEsmalls 23
Banned User

Post#5 » by BIGGIEsmalls 23 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:19 pm

AdamSchefter Adam Schefter
Free agent defensive end Mario Williams plans to visit the Buffalo Bills tonight.

http://twitter.com/intent/user?screen_name=AdamSchefter
Midway Bully
Assistant Coach
And1: 375

Post#6 » by Midway Bully » Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:47 pm

Says it wasn't about the money, but it always is. Time to go after Wimbley?

RT @michaelombardi Sounds like the Bears wont get Mario Williams, the deal is getting too rich and appears the Bills are in the lead
good intentions are microscopic to fat pockets
WEFFPIM
RealGM
And1: 473

Post#7 » by WEFFPIM » Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:53 pm

Still not gonna rule out getting Williams just yet.
ReddWing wrote:Being a fan of this team is tantamount to being in hell...There is no Christ that is coming to save us. Even if there was, we'd trade him for a 28 year old wing.
Cliff Levingston
RealGM

Post#8 » by Cliff Levingston » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:03 pm

Midway Bully wrote:Says it wasn't about the money, but it always is. Time to go after Wimbley?

RT @michaelombardi Sounds like the Bears wont get Mario Williams, the deal is getting too rich and appears the Bills are in the lead

Wimbley sure would be a nice consolidation prize. And if he allows us to pick up another decent FA, maybe Eddie Royal or someone like him, then yippee!
Balance-a-Bull
Bench Warmer
And1: 2
Location: Somewhere angry and lost in the Bulls brass psyche, where offense is an afterthought

Post#9 » by Balance-a-Bull » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:12 pm

Cliff Levingston wrote:
Midway Bully wrote:Says it wasn't about the money, but it always is. Time to go after Wimbley?

Wimbley sure would be a nice consolidation prize. And if he allows us to pick up another decent FA, maybe Eddie Royal or someone like him, then yippee!

:nod:
A plea for post scoring is a plausible Bulls plan, but plainly isn't a priority. In response to a post player's dismay about his lack of points in the paint, Paxson said.... "I'm not nearly as concerned about the offensive stuff as he is."
Cliff Levingston
RealGM

Post#10 » by Cliff Levingston » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:14 pm

Icness on the NFL GB is reporting that Campbell is our new backup QB. Biggie Smalls: go ahead and do your thing. ;)
Midway Bully
Assistant Coach

Post#11 » by Midway Bully » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:20 pm

Yep NFLN also confirming Bears got Campbell. Hope the price isn't too high.

EDIT - apparently it hasnt been set in stone yet? Still talking I hear
BIGGIEsmalls 23
Banned User

Post#12 » by BIGGIEsmalls 23 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:27 pm

Cliff Levingston wrote:Icness on the NFL GB is reporting that Campbell is our new backup QB. Biggie Smalls: go ahead and do your thing. ;)

Midway Bully wrote:Yep NFLN also confirming Bears got Campbell. Hope the price isn't too high.

EDIT - apparently it hasnt been set in stone yet? Still talking I hear

I can't find a confirmation from any twitter accounts. The info that I'm seeing is that he's coming to visit soon.

The Chicago Bears appear intent on improving the backup quarterback position after the team struggled to replace injured starter Jay Cutler down the stretch of the 2011 regular season.

The NFL Network reports the former Washington Redskins and Oakland Raiders starting quarterback Jason Campbell will visit the Bears this week.

http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/bears/p ... um=twitter
Midway Bully
Assistant Coach

Post#13 » by Midway Bully » Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:28 pm

Apparently the Bears are talking to Campbell at 3 mil per year. No deal done as of yet
BIGGIEsmalls 23
Banned User

Post#14 » by BIGGIEsmalls 23 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:43 pm

Cliff Levingston wrote:

The Redskins are close to signing Eddie Royal. I wouldn't mind either drafting a WR or signing Robert Meachem for cheap.
Jeffster81
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,749

Post#15 » by Jeffster81 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:49 pm

Sounds like the Bears are trying to sign Jeremy Mincey, who would be a really good consolation prize for losing out to Mario Williams.

The Bears are "trying to sign" free agent DE Jeremy Mincey, according to the Chicago Tribune and the Chicago Sun-Times
Early signs point to Mario Williams signing in Buffalo, leaving the Bears with a fallback option at defensive end. While Mincey showed a high motor last season, five of his eight sacks came in two games against the Colts' injury-depleted O-Line.
BIGGIEsmalls 23
Banned User

Post#16 » by BIGGIEsmalls 23 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:48 am

Looks like we're gonna lose Kellen Davis.

Based on how Lovie Smith talked about Kellen Davis, I figured he'd be back. Maybe not. Can confirm TE is

scheduled to visit DAL,CIN, PIT.

fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 32,315

Post#17 » by fleet » Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:45 am

Costanza! errr Costanzo

By Brad Biggs, Tribune reporter
9:31 p.m. CDT, March 13, 2012

The Chicago Bears targeted Blake Costanzo because they realized Corey Graham would probably not be returning.

And they successfully landed the veteran linebacker Tuesday night, adding him to the mix as a top special teams player. He finished second on the San Francisco 49ers with 17 tackles on special teams this past season, and added four more in postseason competition. He came up big in the 49ers' playoff upset of the New Orleans Saints, forcing one fumble on special teams and recovering another.

The 27-year-old was developed by Brad Seely, following him from Cleveland to San Francisco, and is considered one of the better core special teams performers in the league. According to his agent David Canter, it's a two-year contract.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/fo ... 3434.story
Brad Biggs wrote:Fields was in the bottom third of the league in too many key statistical metrics for the Bears to commit to the idea of trading down from the first pick for a bundle of future assets and then building around him.
BIGGIEsmalls 23
Banned User

Post#18 » by BIGGIEsmalls 23 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:51 am

fleet wrote:Costanza! errr Costanzo

By Brad Biggs, Tribune reporter
9:31 p.m. CDT, March 13, 2012

The Chicago Bears targeted Blake Costanzo because they realized Corey Graham would probably not be returning.

And they successfully landed the veteran linebacker Tuesday night, adding him to the mix as a top special teams player. He finished second on the San Francisco 49ers with 17 tackles on special teams this past season, and added four more in postseason competition. He came up big in the 49ers' playoff upset of the New Orleans Saints, forcing one fumble on special teams and recovering another.

The 27-year-old was developed by Brad Seely, following him from Cleveland to San Francisco, and is considered one of the better core special teams performers in the league. According to his agent David Canter, it's a two-year contract.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/fo ... 3434.story

ImageImage
:dontknow:
heir_jordan22
Assistant Coach
And1: 325

Post#19 » by heir_jordan22 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:50 am

If the Bears end up getting a Marshall and Mincey, does that mean they don't target WR or DE in the first round? I hope Emery is just trying to set the Bears up to fill all the holes now and draft the best player available in the draft.
BIGGIEsmalls 23
Banned User

Post#20 » by BIGGIEsmalls 23 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:16 am

Looks like Mincy is gone back to the Jaguars
Pete Prisco ‏ @PriscoCBS Reply Retweet Favorite · Open

Smart move by Jaguars to bring back Mincey. He plays his ass off Not a star, but plays hard. And played

well against good tackles

http://twitter.com/#!/PriscoCBS

But Mario may still be in play
At this moment, the Bears' chances of landing premiere free agent Mario Williams remain a mystery.

Williams visited Buffalo on Tuesday, but he has yet to agree to a contract, which is certainly positive news for the rest of the teams trying to land the 27-year-old pass-rusher.

Remember, Williams is the top free agent left on the market. He could, in theory, take all the time he wants when it comes to deciding on a team. After all, it's not as if a team is going to threaten to pull an offer to gain leverage. Williams has all the leverage in this process, and if he wants to drag it out hear another sales pitch from a team like the Bears, it's a decision to other interested teams must honor and respect

http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/bears/p ... um=twitter

Return to Chicago Bears