ImageImageImage

2012 Draft

Moderator: JDR720

ohara
Head Coach
And1: 167

2012 Draft 

Post#1 » by ohara » Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:48 am

Well, the draft is in April. We pick #9 in the 1st. Combine wraps up in a couple days and we can start to ponder who will be there, and about our 2nd round pick.
penquin11
Sixth Man
And1: 148

Re: 2012 Draft 

Post#2 » by penquin11 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:58 pm

Good to see you start a thread:

Guys we should take a long look at

WR Stephen Hill: at 6'4 215ILBs the man ran a 4.31 (unofficial).... That is goddamn special- he also has made some pretty insane catches in his other games.

WR Brian Quick: I was a tad dissapointed with his 40 time of 4.55- but he had a pretty good vert jump, and has the largest wingspan in the draft so far (34 1/2 inches) which means not many others can out reach him. At 6'4 he is a huge player....

DL Nick Perry: He is a tad small but is fast as hell and dam strong too.... The issue is that he is a DE.

Morris Claiborne: I have a special feeling about this guy- like that he could be one of the best corners in the NFL....
Devilzsidewalk wrote:no, the DB's will just be thinking "damn, I thought that was going to be a run!" as they easily recover to intercept a Ponder pass 10 yards off the mark
ohara
Head Coach

Post#3 » by ohara » Sun Mar 4, 2012 4:10 pm

Although DT is not the biggest need, there is a lot of talk about Dontari Poe and Fletcher Cox being the Panthers pick at #9. Both would be a big upgrade, but I have to think that we go another way at #9. Blackmon will be gone, so if we address WR via FA, I will be happy. Claiborne will be gone. Do we go Kirkpatrick or Jenkins? We could trade back and get them in the early teens. Perhaps we go DE if someone is there we cannot refurse? Would we walk away from Coples or Ingram if they are on the Boards at #9? Have to think long and hard about it. I think both would be better than Hardy and they would complement Johnson quite well.
Jaruff
RealGM
And1: 16

Post#4 » by Jaruff » Tue Mar 6, 2012 7:06 pm

I think it's going to be Coples or Ingram. We just used two good picks on DT's last year, we have Ron Edwards coming back, and there are guys who stepped up last year. I think Hurney takes the chacne to add a local product AND solidify the end position. Coples/Ingram and Johnson should be a force for several years.

I think we have an opportunity to grab Alshon in the second round. He's fallen down but I think he'll be great next to Steve Smith. Another big target for Cam to lob passes at couldn't hurt.
Kwame Brown Fan Club | Free Gilbert Arenas
penquin11
Sixth Man

Post#5 » by penquin11 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:39 pm

I really can't see us drafting a DE considering we are likely to integrate more 3-4 schemes into our D. Also the likely hood that we will pickup a WR (outside of possibly Mario Manningham or another #2 WR) in FA is SUPPER SLIM (and for good reason). I think that it would be best for us to trade down in the 1st to get a later 1st plus a 2nd/3rd- and the Broncos/Jets could treasure our #9 selection enough to pull the trigger on a trade.
Devilzsidewalk wrote:no, the DB's will just be thinking "damn, I thought that was going to be a run!" as they easily recover to intercept a Ponder pass 10 yards off the mark
ohara
Head Coach

Post#6 » by ohara » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:32 pm

IDK if we can get a deal to trade back that makes it worth it. Cinci picks #17 and #22. Our pick is #9. By draft trade value charts, They wont swap 2 for 1 as they would be giving up too much. More likely they would offer #17 and #53 (their 2nd round pick). And depending on who may be there at #9, not sure that #17 and #53 are worth the trade down. Now if Cinci overpays and offers #17 and #22, I'd jump at it.

By the way, the Panthers met with Coples today in Charlotte.
penquin11
Sixth Man

Post#7 » by penquin11 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:37 pm

They actually might Ohara- the Bengals NEED a good RB- its essential to their system. And by all accounts Trent Richardson will be available at our pick. Also the Jets have got to know that they need an upgrade at RB, and I could see them trading their 1st and 2nd or 1st and 3rd for the #9 pick....
ohara
Head Coach

Post#8 » by ohara » Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:33 am

Good call on the Jets. They could trade #16 and #47 to us for #9. It would be just about a 4th rounder from us of being an even swap. So they might overpay that amount. I think I could deal with that. If we fell to #16, think I would strongly consider going after Michael Floyd, the WR from ND. Big, fast, and great hands. Perfect receiver for Cam since he does occasionally tend to throw high. Then use #42 and #47 for Defense. ***But my preference would be to see if we could go Defense with #16, trade #42 and #47 to get back up and grab the WR from Ga Tech, Mr. Stephen Hill. That kid is a burner. He is 6'4 and was clocked at a 3.91 40 at the combine.
penquin11
Sixth Man

Post#9 » by penquin11 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:53 am

Ohara no man in the NFL has ever ran a 3.91 40, Stephen Hill was clocked in at 4.31- which is still REALLY fast- but by no means is it a 3.91 (:D)....

Also I would rather grab Michael Floyd- remember proven players>Combine Numbers. Floyd also had a pretty solid combine- running a 4.47 40...... Really I would love to see us grab Justin Blackmon, the guy is a monster but I just cannot see a situation where he falls to us :( . The Other guy I would have loved to see us grab was Morris Claiborne....

If we are to trade down to pick #16 we have to consider Dre Kirkpatrick, Janoris Jenkins, Poe, Nick Perry, Mark Ingram, Courtney Upshaw, Donta Hightower, Whitney Mercilus, Kendall Wright, Luke Kuelchy (who looks like he could become a MONSTER in the NFL), Stephen Hill (as listed), Michael Floyd, or Mark Baron..... Remember that we already have a speedy but raw WR out of David Givens- so that sort of knocks Stephen Hill off the list (how tall is Givens anyways? Hell we might not even draft a WR this year outside of Brian Quick if the organization has faith in Givens.),

The next logical choice is for us to shore up our defense- and that could mean that we draft a CB- the best of the above being Janoris Jenkins- however we should have the opportunity to grab Stephen Gilmore in the 2nd- a guy who is actually more athletic than Jenkins and is probably bound to have a better career.

So that Leaves us with Mark Baron, Luke Kuelchy, Poe, Nick Perry, Whitney Mercilus, Donta Hightower, and Courtney Upshaw. Out of those guys I think that Mark Baron could really improve our safety play- however if we are choosing the best available prospect I think that we end up drafting Kuelchy/Poe/Perry...

Kuelchy is a guy that a lot of people underestimated athleticly- but as it turns out the BC product not only has great instincts- he also has insane athletism..... However he is a ILB- so unless we plan on primarly using the 3-4 it would be foolish for us to draft him,

Poe is a guy who is a monster athlete- men as big as him should not be able to run that fast and bench that much at the same time. However there are reports that he takes plays off at times (Julius Peppers anyone?)- if he can past that he could be a monster for the Panthers.

Nick Perry isn't the largest guy in the discussion and is projected to go at the end of round 1, however he had an outstanding combine and was a stud for USC during the year- I personally feel that he is vastly underrated!
ohara
Head Coach

Post#10 » by ohara » Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:12 pm

Good grief! Cannot believe I typed 3.91. I knew it was 4.31, and my brain nust have cut off when I typed it. My bad.

Unless we somehow saw Blackmon or Claiborne fall to us at #9, which just wont happen, I am really a fan of trading down. I agree with you that Floyd can be a huge asset if we trade back, but I would hate to have to grab him at #9. Reason I am so high on Hill is his size. 6'4 with that blazing speed is special. Love Keuchly if we trade back.

I am really torn on the idea of taking a DT at #9. Poe does seem special. But the 2 Rookies showed they have skill, but need to improve. With Edwards coming back to start for us, not as concerned with DT in the 1st round. I have to say that if Blackmon or Claiborne are gone and we dont trade back, I am starting to feel we go with either Coples or Ingram, whichever was still available. Defensive minded Head Coach will find a way to put a standout defensive player to good use. And both of them can be impact players. I know the team already met with Coples this past week. Kind of expect they will also meet with Ingram before the draft.
ohara
Head Coach

Post#11 » by ohara » Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:03 pm

Panthers bringing in Kuechly today.
penquin11
Sixth Man

Post#12 » by penquin11 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:26 pm

Kuelchy is a monster- literally he is intelligent and athletic as hell. If there was one defensive player I would stamp as a future HOF in this draft it would be Kuelchy by a mile!
ohara
Head Coach

Post#13 » by ohara » Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:42 pm

penquin11 wrote:Kuelchy is a monster- literally he is intelligent and athletic as hell. If there was one defensive player I would stamp as a future HOF in this draft it would be Kuelchy by a mile!

Then you would be fine with taking him at #9, correct? I think, if the deal presents itself, we could trade back to around #12-#14 and get him. Would be ideal if we can do that and pick up another 2nd round pick to go with it. Considering we let Dan Conner walk, and you just dont know if Thomas Davis can make it on his bad knee, a stud LB may be what our FO has in mind.

**Isn't Ingram from SC projected as a player who can shift back and forth from DE to LB, depending upon the defense being played? I know he is projected as going in the #7-#9 range. Would you take him at #9 over Kuechly, or are you that high on Kuechly? I like Kuechly alot, but not sure I'd take him over Ingram. Have to do a little more studying up on that one.
penquin11
Sixth Man

Post#14 » by penquin11 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:05 pm

Yeah I like Kuelchy enough to take him at #9, and it would allow us to shift Jon Beason to LOLB, upgrading on Thomas Davis, and allowing for our blitz to be more effective.
Jaruff
RealGM
And1: 16

Post#15 » by Jaruff » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:40 am

I don't like the idea of taking another LB so high. It seems we get burned on them. Beason has been injured, Davis is injured, and Dan Morgan was always injured. Considering our ability to find diamonds in the rough, I wouldn't use our top pick to address that position.

Ingram, Coples, trade down

Would be my order of doing things.
Kwame Brown Fan Club | Free Gilbert Arenas
penquin11
Sixth Man

Post#16 » by penquin11 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:40 pm

Couples is a lethargic **** who isn't overly explosive, he also plays the wrong position for us to draft him. To be fair John Beason is one of the best ILB's in the NFL and has only recently had injury problems. We drafted Thomas Davis as a Safety....
ohara
Head Coach

Post#17 » by ohara » Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:06 pm

I dont think Coples position has anything to do with it. Panthers have already met with him, so they are interested. They will think long and hard on passing on him if he is there at #9.
TheKingofSting
RealGM
And1: 2,163

Post#18 » by TheKingofSting » Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:19 am

McShay has Justin Blackmon falling to us, I'd be ecstatic if that happens, our offense would be unstoppable for sure!
President of the Quinn Cook Fan Club

Bradley Beal has D Wade potential
ohara
Head Coach

Post#19 » by ohara » Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:08 am

Kemba2Hendo wrote:McShay has Justin Blackmon falling to us, I'd be ecstatic if that happens, our offense would be unstoppable for sure!

I would dearly love to have Blackmon at #9. But where did you see that? I just went to ESPN and the Mock 3.0 is from the 11th. Has Blackmon to Rams at #6 and Coples to Panthers at #9. Dont think 4.0 has come out yet. Were you looking at an earlier version perhaps?
TheKingofSting
RealGM
And1: 2,163

Post#20 » by TheKingofSting » Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:23 am

ohara wrote:
Kemba2Hendo wrote:McShay has Justin Blackmon falling to us, I'd be ecstatic if that happens, our offense would be unstoppable for sure!

I would dearly love to have Blackmon at #9. But where did you see that? I just went to ESPN and the Mock 3.0 is from the 11th. Has Blackmon to Rams at #6 and Coples to Panthers at #9. Dont think 4.0 has come out yet. Were you looking at an earlier version perhaps?

I guess it has gotten changed since I saw a week or so ago.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/draft

To the right on the big board at that link he was 9th or 10th then.
President of the Quinn Cook Fan Club

Bradley Beal has D Wade potential

Return to Carolina Panthers