2012 Ask Jeff Risdon a Question

Moderator: studcrackers

Manhattan Project
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,948

Re: 2012 Ask Jeff Risdon a Question 

Post#381 » by Manhattan Project » Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:42 am

Regarding Shea McClellin, in what aspect do you think he can succeed at in the NFL?
Jazz:
Allen l Wagner
Randle l Olynyk
Porter Jr l Marshall l Tucker
Herro l Okogie l Payton
Fox l Jones
SpeedyG
RealGM
And1: 1,310

Post#382 » by SpeedyG » Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:54 am

Jeff, how is Alshon's lost in weight and running a 4.47 (reportedly) being viewed in the nfl circle?
Bless the man if his heart and his land are one ~ FrancisM, R.I.P. 3/6/09
Icness
NFL Analyst
And1: 129

Post#383 » by Icness » Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:21 pm

Cliff Levingston wrote:Jeff; do you have any insight into what the Bears are thinking for their draft? There's plenty of talk out there that they'll still go WR in Rd1 despite grabbing Marshall. On the flip side, they were rumored to be after Mario Williams so maybe they're eying DE in the 1st? Thanks.

I know they have been looking hard at DT and DE, not just the top tier but the middle round guys too. So I would expect DL help in the first three rounds.

I also know they are looking hard at slot wideouts. The stuff about incorporating Hester more as a receiver strikes me as fluff. That's a later round pick though, perhaps as early as the 3rd (they still have CAR pick). Not sure they want to go WR in round 1 unless Floyd somehow plummets. They're in a strange no-man's land for WR. The top 3 will be gone and the next tier isn't really worthy of that lofty of a pick. Perhaps a trade...?

Don't be surprised to see a CB early either. I would suspect you will see multiple CBs drafted this year.
It's not whether you win or lose, it's how good you look playing the game
Icness
NFL Analyst

Post#384 » by Icness » Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:25 pm

Pharmcat wrote:jeff Im sure this has been asked b4

but what are your thoughts on mel kiper...fan? no fan of him?

I deeply respect Mel and like him personally. I've met him a couple of times and he is a genuinely nice and interesting guy, real sharp. I think his encyclopedic knowledge of prospects and what they've done in college is freaking amazing. NOBODY knows the prospects and their college attributes better than Mel.

Where I think Mel struggles is in projecting those college attributes into the pros. I think he gets blinded by scheme and by athletic ability. If you look at his rankings he almost always gets too wowed by athleticism and underestimates football IQ. If you wanted a college AS team, go with Mel. If you want more accurate NFL projections, look somewhere else.

But pay close attention to what he has to say about the Ravens and Eagles. He is very plugged in to those teams.
Cliff Levingston
RealGM
And1: 1,094

Post#385 » by Cliff Levingston » Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:26 pm

Icness wrote:
Cliff Levingston wrote:Jeff; do you have any insight into what the Bears are thinking for their draft? There's plenty of talk out there that they'll still go WR in Rd1 despite grabbing Marshall. On the flip side, they were rumored to be after Mario Williams so maybe they're eying DE in the 1st? Thanks.

I know they have been looking hard at DT and DE, not just the top tier but the middle round guys too. So I would expect DL help in the first three rounds.

I also know they are looking hard at slot wideouts. The stuff about incorporating Hester more as a receiver strikes me as fluff. That's a later round pick though, perhaps as early as the 3rd (they still have CAR pick). Not sure they want to go WR in round 1 unless Floyd somehow plummets. They're in a strange no-man's land for WR. The top 3 will be gone and the next tier isn't really worthy of that lofty of a pick. Perhaps a trade...?

Don't be surprised to see a CB early either. I would suspect you will see multiple CBs drafted this year.

Cool, thanks.
Icness
NFL Analyst

Post#386 » by Icness » Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:26 pm

Manhattan Project wrote:Regarding Shea McClellin, in what aspect do you think he can succeed at in the NFL?

Special teams, where I think he'll be excellent. Maybe a nickel backer for a 4-man front. Maybe. Not a fan.
Icness
NFL Analyst

Post#387 » by Icness » Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:32 pm

SpeedyG wrote:Jeff, how is Alshon's lost in weight and running a 4.47 (reportedly) being viewed in the nfl circle?

It has brought back hope that the 2010 Alshon Jeffery is not gone. Talked to a few people about it and some are more skeptical than others. Some feel he got in shape and worked out great in order to get paid. Some give him more credit for all the crap that went on around him at SC last year, with Garcia's yo-yo suspension, Lattimore getting hurt, Spurrier being the mad scientist, etc.

My educated guess is that he salvaged his status as a top 45 pick and might sneak back into the bottom of the 1st round. His film from 2010 is better than anything Justin Blackmon or anyone else has and that's going to be hard to ignore for teams in need of size at WR. He's never played as more than a high 4.5 guy though.
Magilla_Gorilla
RealGM
And1: 4,451

Post#388 » by Magilla_Gorilla » Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:57 pm

Jeff - In one of your earlier posts you said that you were told by at least one executive that a TE wouldn't go before 50 - you yourself said 30-35. After Fleeners performance at his pro-day workout do you believe he has pushed himself up into the mid-20's, or does the pro-day not sway opinion that much?

Also, The Bears have been reported to be very interested in Bruce Irvin, hopefully as a situational pass rusher, do you believe the third round is appropriate for him? Too early/late?

Thanks.
Sham - Y U NO sell me a t-shirt? Best OB/GYN Houston
Da Schwab
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,619

Post#389 » by Da Schwab » Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:01 am

What're your thoughts on the McNabb/Shanahan "will ruin RG3" talk? Any ideas as to how he'd be coached up in Washington?
Icness
NFL Analyst

Post#390 » by Icness » Sat Mar 31, 2012 4:21 am

Magilla_Gorilla wrote:Jeff - In one of your earlier posts you said that you were told by at least one executive that a TE wouldn't go before 50 - you yourself said 30-35. After Fleeners performance at his pro-day workout do you believe he has pushed himself up into the mid-20's, or does the pro-day not sway opinion that much?

Also, The Bears have been reported to be very interested in Bruce Irvin, hopefully as a situational pass rusher, do you believe the third round is appropriate for him? Too early/late?

Thanks.

He's not a 1st rounder even after his pro day. I still don't see any TE in the top 35. Best chance is PIT in the 1st but they need so many other things more.

Bruce Irvin should not be taken before the 5th round. Complete knucklehead that drove his coaches and teammates crazy at WVU. He's got the best burst of any pass rusher in this draft but the same was said about Jerry Hughes. Very similar players actually except Hughes is a good kid. Maybe Rod Marinelli could knock sense into Irvin, might be good for him.
Icness
NFL Analyst

Post#391 » by Icness » Sat Mar 31, 2012 4:24 am

Da Schwab wrote:What're your thoughts on the McNabb/Shanahan "will ruin RG3" talk? Any ideas as to how he'd be coached up in Washington?

McNabb is bitter. I think he has a small point but he's probably the last guy to trust in critiquing Shanahan. Mike Shanahan is a good coach and he knows what he's doing. The fact that McNabb couldn't handle it says more about Mc5 than Shanahan.
Jaruff
RealGM
And1: 16

Post#392 » by Jaruff » Sat Mar 31, 2012 4:31 am

Panthers acquired Bruce Campbell today (well yesterday technically).

At one point I understand many people slated him as a top 10 but he fell several rounds. Have any info on him?
Kwame Brown Fan Club | Free Gilbert Arenas
Icness
NFL Analyst

Post#393 » by Icness » Sat Mar 31, 2012 5:01 am

Jaruff wrote:Panthers acquired Bruce Campbell today (well yesterday technically).

At one point I understand many people slated him as a top 10 but he fell several rounds. Have any info on him?

He was an athletic specimen with poor technique out of Maryland. Nobody ever seriously thought he was a 1st rounder, at least I hope not. I saw 4th/5th round grades on him. My own personal grade was 4th with potential to develop into a starter.

He's not been bad in limited duty, played both RT and G in a reserve role. Long limbs, good power, real quick. Still not real coordinated and his power isn't totally functional but he is getting better. IIRC he was on the hook for a bad sack against the Chiefs where he was late to see the inside stunt. He should be the swing backup tackle in Carolina. Oakland is trying to get rid of the athletic projects that Al Davis collected and they need a backup RB more than they needed a 7th OL, which is what he was there.
Frances69
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#394 » by Frances69 » Sat Mar 31, 2012 7:56 am

:spam:
Pharmcat
RealGM
And1: 19,000

Post#395 » by Pharmcat » Sat Mar 31, 2012 7:26 pm

Icness wrote:
Pharmcat wrote:jeff Im sure this has been asked b4

but what are your thoughts on mel kiper...fan? no fan of him?

I deeply respect Mel and like him personally. I've met him a couple of times and he is a genuinely nice and interesting guy, real sharp. I think his encyclopedic knowledge of prospects and what they've done in college is freaking amazing. NOBODY knows the prospects and their college attributes better than Mel.

Where I think Mel struggles is in projecting those college attributes into the pros. I think he gets blinded by scheme and by athletic ability. If you look at his rankings he almost always gets too wowed by athleticism and underestimates football IQ. If you wanted a college AS team, go with Mel. If you want more accurate NFL projections, look somewhere else.

But pay close attention to what he has to say about the Ravens and Eagles. He is very plugged in to those teams.

thanks!

I really respect his passion he shows for the draft
Manhattan Project
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,948

Post#396 » by Manhattan Project » Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:42 pm

Any news on the Bacarri Rambo front? You think he would actually enter the supplemental draft and if so what round would a team spend on him?
Jazz:
Allen l Wagner
Randle l Olynyk
Porter Jr l Marshall l Tucker
Herro l Okogie l Payton
Fox l Jones
Icness
NFL Analyst

Post#397 » by Icness » Sun Apr 1, 2012 2:13 pm

Manhattan Project wrote:Any news on the Bacarri Rambo front? You think he would actually enter the supplemental draft and if so what round would a team spend on him?

Honestly haven't heard anything. He's very off the NFL radar.
Da Schwab
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,619

2012 Ask Jeff Risdon a Question 

Post#398 » by Da Schwab » Sun Apr 1, 2012 2:50 pm

I'm feeling ballsy this morning, so here's my question:

Who's going to be the biggest bust of this draft?
Icness
NFL Analyst

Post#399 » by Icness » Sun Apr 1, 2012 8:05 pm

Da Schwab wrote:I'm feeling ballsy this morning, so here's my question:

Who's going to be the biggest bust of this draft?

Sort of depends on where guys get drafted, but if Brock Osweiler goes in the first two rounds that's the guy.

I genuinely do not get the love for Nick Perry. One of the key attributes for being an edge rusher is the ability to flatten around the edge and close with burst at the QB. Melvin Ingram does it great, Courtney Upshaw does it well despite not being overly fast. Perry always has to take an extra step to gather himself and then round the corner, every time. And his burst isn't as great as advertised. It's the difference between Cliff Avril and Brian Robison, a legit attack rusher and a good complementary rusher. If Perry went to Marshall and Vinny Curry went to USC you wouldn't hear boo about Perry in the top 50 and Curry would be a 1st round lock.

Blackmon carries higher bust risk than I like for a top 10 WR. He's not even my #1 WR and I'm def. not alone in that.

I worry that teams are going to expect too much too soon from Dontari Poe and Fletcher Cox. Neither is ready to be a stud contributor right away. Impatient teams/fans are not going to be happy if they want immediate impact from them.
Pharmcat
RealGM
And1: 19,000

Post#400 » by Pharmcat » Sun Apr 1, 2012 8:12 pm

simple question:

1) does PIt did a LB with their first pick

and if yes why doesnt a team that picks b4 pit take said LB since we all know how good Pit is at identifying stud LBs :D

Return to NFL Draft