@@@@@@@@

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

supplyndemand69
Junior
And1: 4

Re: Do you think Brittney Griner can compete in the NBA? 

Post#201 » by supplyndemand69 » Tue Apr 3, 2012 4:02 pm

Really ? Really ? Really ?
Nets 3YR Dynasty

PG: Jason Kidd--Mark Jackson
SG: Joe Dumars--Jeff Hornacek--Steve Smith
SF: Dominique Wilkins--Glenn Rice
PF: Rasheed Wallace--Antawn Jamison--Otis Thorpe
C: Kareem Abdul Jabbar--Bill Laimbeer
RLakh23
Starter
And1: 0

Post#202 » by RLakh23 » Tue Apr 3, 2012 8:32 pm

Moggs24 wrote:
RLakh23 wrote:I'm not trying to start a debate. But if you look at Candace Parker to Brittney Griner to Skyler Diggins. Certain Women put in the effort to compete with men. Griner I think can play Small Forward in the NBA. If Kevin Durant can be a superstar in his rookie year (skinny mini all I'm saying)

Diggins and Parker I know have to chance but they helped rebuild Women's basketball.

Do you ever think a woman will play in the NBA?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

How can this be a serious question.

first off you don't bring up anything valid so why should i take you seriously.

Typical NBA SF are about 6'7 with a 6'8-6'10 wing span. Griner has one more year for college ball left. Working on her shooting game and vertical isn't that hard to work on. Griner's butt and knees would be my main concern. Knees because men have stronger knee caps. But give Griner some juice and a good post game, I think she would beat a lot of men. Also I heard her and RG3 are suppose to compete n a dunk contest against each other. I'm not sure if this is true or not.

Please go pay attention and watch some Griner film before you bash someone.

And yes I must suck at ball against girls, I got a weak spot for em. I get caught staring at that wobbled wobble
Badandy
Junior
And1: 18

Post#203 » by Badandy » Tue Apr 3, 2012 8:47 pm

RLakh23 wrote:
Moggs24 wrote:
RLakh23 wrote:I'm not trying to start a debate. But if you look at Candace Parker to Brittney Griner to Skyler Diggins. Certain Women put in the effort to compete with men. Griner I think can play Small Forward in the NBA. If Kevin Durant can be a superstar in his rookie year (skinny mini all I'm saying)

Diggins and Parker I know have to chance but they helped rebuild Women's basketball.

Do you ever think a woman will play in the NBA?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

How can this be a serious question.

first off you don't bring up anything valid so why should i take you seriously.

Typical NBA SF are about 6'7 with a 6'8-6'10 wing span. Griner has one more year for college ball left. Working on her shooting game and vertical isn't that hard to work on. Griner's butt and knees would be my main concern. Knees because men have stronger knee caps. But give Griner some juice and a good post game, I think she would beat a lot of men. Also I heard her and RG3 are suppose to compete n a dunk contest against each other. I'm not sure if this is true or not.

Please go pay attention and watch some Griner film before you bash someone.

And yes I must suck at ball against girls, I got a weak spot for em. I get caught staring at that wobbled wobble

Oh please. There isn't room in the NBA for a 6 foot 8 human being who can BARELY dunk with that height and wingspan, is skinnier than Tayshawn Prince, can't run the floor faster than Greg Ostertag, and has no jumper. Come off it.
BBgun
Analyst
And1: 1,210

Post#204 » by BBgun » Tue Apr 3, 2012 9:05 pm

I agree that the best chance for a woman to play in the NBA would be a skilled point guard, because there have been quite a few very good undersized guards in this league who compensate for lack of height with superior skills. But lets be real...what would happen defensively. She would be targeted every time down the floor as a mistmatch and would be the biggest defensive liablity in the world IMO.
MigrainePatrol
Banned User
And1: 3

Post#205 » by MigrainePatrol » Tue Apr 3, 2012 9:13 pm

Reggie Evans would feel more natural reaching for some titties and something else rather than a scrotum.
dice
RealGM
And1: 12,492

Post#206 » by dice » Tue Apr 3, 2012 9:15 pm

Tai wrote:
dice wrote:if a female was even CLOSE to having the ability to make an NBA roster we'd have seen it. the marketing value of having a woman as your "12th man" alone would make it worthwhile. you think people get excited about scalabrine getting into a game?

Well....as a Celtics fan, I can say that they genuinely do hahaha, but point taken. : )

i meant it like "if you think fans are excited to see scalabrine get into a game, think how excited they'd be to see the only female in league history get some PT"

i'm a bulls fan, btw, so i'm well aware of the scalabrine factor
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
dice
RealGM

Post#207 » by dice » Tue Apr 3, 2012 9:22 pm

BBgun wrote:I agree that the best chance for a woman to play in the NBA would be a skilled point guard, because there have been quite a few very good undersized guards in this league who compensate for lack of height with superior skills. But lets be real...what would happen defensively. She would be targeted every time down the floor as a mistmatch and would be the biggest defensive liablity in the world IMO.

gimme a female point guard as quick as the undersized point guards we've seen in the league and you're onto something. not sure she's out there

another thing i'm not sure has been mentioned is the size of the basketball. female organized hoopsters have spent an awful lot of time playing with a smaller ball. thus, you're not even gonna find many female players with a good enough HANDLE to make it in the NBA as a point guard. let alone the requisite athleticism and at least one other strong skill
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
BBgun
Analyst
And1: 1,210

Post#208 » by BBgun » Tue Apr 3, 2012 9:25 pm

dice wrote:
BBgun wrote:I agree that the best chance for a woman to play in the NBA would be a skilled point guard, because there have been quite a few very good undersized guards in this league who compensate for lack of height with superior skills. But lets be real...what would happen defensively. She would be targeted every time down the floor as a mistmatch and would be the biggest defensive liablity in the world IMO.

gimme a female point guard as quick as the undersized point guards we've seen in the league and you're onto something. not sure she's out there

lol good point...just goes to further the point that a female being able to compete in the NBA is just not realistic at all. Maybe as a spot up shooter or something...but again...what about defense? The hypothetical woman guard in question would make Derek Fisher and Steve Blake look like Gary Payton on D
Brett
Junior
And1: 7

Post#209 » by Brett » Tue Apr 3, 2012 9:37 pm

RLakh23 should be banned.
astrallite
Starter
And1: 13

Post#210 » by astrallite » Tue Apr 3, 2012 9:47 pm

Derek Fisher is still in the NBA.
Tai
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,240

Post#211 » by Tai » Tue Apr 3, 2012 9:47 pm

dice wrote:
Tai wrote:
dice wrote:if a female was even CLOSE to having the ability to make an NBA roster we'd have seen it. the marketing value of having a woman as your "12th man" alone would make it worthwhile. you think people get excited about scalabrine getting into a game?

Well....as a Celtics fan, I can say that they genuinely do hahaha, but point taken. : )

i meant it like "if you think fans are excited to see scalabrine get into a game, think how excited they'd be to see the only female in league history get some PT"

i'm a bulls fan, btw, so i'm well aware of the scalabrine factor

Ah, I see. That's actually a good point. I'm getting the impression that guys like the OP and GloriaJames (who for all I know is really a caricature) think that NBA teams don't want to touch female players with a ten foot pole just cause they're women. Any of these bad teams that have nothing going for them....why do people think these teams wouldn't welcome good publicity such as a woman on their team, even as a 15th player?
smartyz456 wrote:oh i am a laker fan for life

i'm just gonna be a warrior fan until lebron leaves the lakers

true laker fans don't root for lebron

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1728641
BubbaTee
Head Coach
And1: 546

Post#212 » by BubbaTee » Tue Apr 3, 2012 9:57 pm

Kalidogg24 wrote:
RLakh23 wrote:
I think a 6'8 man who has never even heard of basketball has a better shot at competing in the NBA than Brittney Griner does.

#Harshtag

you kids must not get out a lot. I have played with girls that could out shoot me for days.

You must be a Terrible hooper then ! Haha j/p

I played with and against the WNBA's former Finals And Regular season MVP Diana Taurasi .
Which we all could admit is a deadly shooter.
As for myself nothing special played junior college ball a couple years as a pass first point guard with a decent shooting touch IMO . I try to patented my game off CP3/JKidd.
When me and Taurasi faced off in a LA fitness I must admit the Man ego inside of me wouldn't let her score a single point on me. LoL. I even blasted one of her layups off the backboard. It gets real in the battlefield :D Next game me and my squad picked her up as we continued the winning streak.

A girl out-shooting a guy is one thing.

The NBA is not a 3pt contest or a game of HORSE, however. There's a ton more to the game than shooting, even for guys considered one-dimensional like Korver or Novak or Kapono.

If just shooting was enough then Rick Barry would still be playing in the NBA, instead of yelling at Warriors fans during halftime. If just shooting was enough then Buzz Braman, who once made 92 3s in a row at a Sixers rookie camp as well as 700+ FTs in a row, would be a HOFer instead of some guy you've never heard of.

All that would do is make your franchise a laughingstock.

Why stop with a female 12th man as a publicity stunt? Why not a midget? Why not a horse?
Above The Rim
Sophomore
And1: 118

Post#213 » by Above The Rim » Tue Apr 3, 2012 11:22 pm

I've always believed that the seperation line is that the best wnba players would be equal to a good mens high school team. Good shooting (wnba) will get you that far. The women's team would still be outmatched physically though. The wnba all-stars playing a decent men's d1 college team isn't even worth talking about it would be that bad. If you disagree, well, sorry you're wrong.
sopclod
Freshman
And1: 35

Post#214 » by sopclod » Wed Apr 4, 2012 1:34 am

-[Clippers]- wrote:
dice wrote:no female will ever make it in a major pro sport. with the POSSIBLE exception of an insanely accurate placekicker. but we haven't even seen that in college yet

Or as a knuckleball pitcher in baseball.

I thought this was in reference to Eri Yoshida, the so-called "knuckle princess". There have been a few women in pro baseball (Ila Borders also comes to mind), but I think that has as much to do with the fact that there are so many pro leagues as anything else. None of them got anywhere.
Wile E. Coyote
Lead Assistant
And1: 835

Post#215 » by Wile E. Coyote » Wed Apr 4, 2012 1:43 am

The answer to the original question is "no".
dice
RealGM

Post#216 » by dice » Wed Apr 4, 2012 2:20 am

Above The Rim wrote:I've always believed that the seperation line is that the best wnba players would be equal to a good mens high school team. Good shooting (wnba) will get you that far. The women's team would still be outmatched physically though. The wnba all-stars playing a decent mens d1 college team isn't even worth talking about it would be that bad. If you disagree, well, sorry you're wrong.

i was gonna make a similar point. someone i worked with was on a division I mens soccer team. he said that they were better than the olympic womens team they scrimmaged against 'cause the girls just didn't match up physically. i would imagine that it'd be a similar scenario pitting a female dream team against a division I mens program in basketball. MAYBE they'd be competitive against a lower division college mens team. and again, we're talking about the very best women in the world

we've never even seen a woman make a college mens team, have we? certainly not division I

something else to chew on: at the division I college level the free throw shooting men vs women is roughly even (despite the smaller ball advantage for the women). 3 pt shooting is another story though. despite weaker defensive competition and the smaller ball, women shoot 3-4% lower on average than their male counterparts. so it's not even strictly a physical thing. i've heard that the reason female golfers are inferior to males on the average is due not so much to power (driving distance, etc) but to putting because of lesser depth perception. if true, i'd imagine that depth perception is an issue with women not being as good shooting a basketball

so...the correct answer to whether a woman could compete at the nba level is the same as whether an ape could bowl a perfect game. possibly...but i'd bet everything i have that i won't see it in my lifetime
NickPapagiorgio
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#217 » by NickPapagiorgio » Wed Apr 4, 2012 2:40 am

Johan Petro would just be completing a 3peat with the Baylor Lady Bears
MigrainePatrol
Banned User
And1: 3

Post#218 » by MigrainePatrol » Wed Apr 4, 2012 2:59 am

Griner has a condition where she's actually a man but born with female genitalia.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index ... 541AA6WjrT
ComboGuardCity
RealGM
And1: 4,536

Post#219 » by ComboGuardCity » Wed Apr 4, 2012 3:03 am

LOL OP. Come at me!!! :rofl2: Challenging a dude on the internet? Absolutely pathetic. No less you ask a guy to meet you at a Chevron?

HAAAHAHHA
Tai
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,240

Post#220 » by Tai » Wed Apr 4, 2012 3:28 am

MigrainePatrol wrote:Griner has a condition where she's actually a man but born with female genitalia.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index ... 541AA6WjrT

I hope you're being sarcastic.
smartyz456 wrote:oh i am a laker fan for life

i'm just gonna be a warrior fan until lebron leaves the lakers

true laker fans don't root for lebron

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1728641

Return to The General Board