2012 Ask Jeff Risdon a Question

Moderator: studcrackers

Jaruff
RealGM
And1: 16

Re: 2012 Ask Jeff Risdon a Question 

Post#401 » by Jaruff » Sun Apr 1, 2012 9:11 pm

Icness wrote:
Manhattan Project wrote:Any news on the Bacarri Rambo front? You think he would actually enter the supplemental draft and if so what round would a team spend on him?

Honestly haven't heard anything. He's very off the NFL radar.

I haven't heard anything beyond the suspension taking place and I live in "Dawg" country. I think he's going to do his four games (or less), come back, and it's going to blow over.

He says he ate pot brownies without knowing they were pot brownies. Happens to many of us. Honest mistake.
Kwame Brown Fan Club | Free Gilbert Arenas
Icness
NFL Analyst
And1: 129

Post#402 » by Icness » Sun Apr 1, 2012 10:21 pm

Pharmcat wrote:simple question:

1) does PIt did a LB with their first pick

and if yes why doesnt a team that picks b4 pit take said LB since we all know how good Pit is at identifying stud LBs :D

I would take a LB, either Hightower or Kuechly. I'd even consider Bobby Wagner. They certainly can justify taking OL or CB as well though.

The Steelers place a high value on two things: being physical and being instinctive. If a defensive player, esp. in the front 7, isn't both then they don't become Steelers. Other teams might want to think more like that. Some do; BAL, CLE, and HOU come to mind.
It's not whether you win or lose, it's how good you look playing the game
Magilla_Gorilla
RealGM
And1: 4,451

Post#403 » by Magilla_Gorilla » Mon Apr 2, 2012 5:45 pm

Icness wrote:
Magilla_Gorilla wrote:Jeff - In one of your earlier posts you said that you were told by at least one executive that a TE wouldn't go before 50 - you yourself said 30-35. After Fleeners performance at his pro-day workout do you believe he has pushed himself up into the mid-20's, or does the pro-day not sway opinion that much?

Also, The Bears have been reported to be very interested in Bruce Irvin, hopefully as a situational pass rusher, do you believe the third round is appropriate for him? Too early/late?

Thanks.

He's not a 1st rounder even after his pro day. I still don't see any TE in the top 35. Best chance is PIT in the 1st but they need so many other things more.

Bruce Irvin should not be taken before the 5th round. Complete knucklehead that drove his coaches and teammates crazy at WVU. He's got the best burst of any pass rusher in this draft but the same was said about Jerry Hughes. Very similar players actually except Hughes is a good kid. Maybe Rod Marinelli could knock sense into Irvin, might be good for him.

Thanks as always. Great responses in this thread.
Sham - Y U NO sell me a t-shirt? Best OB/GYN Houston
Manhattan Project
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,948

Post#404 » by Manhattan Project » Tue Apr 3, 2012 9:48 pm

Mainly due to Claiborne's wonderlic score leaking, do teams put any stock into this? Especially for positions outside of QB? It just seems that every year now we get a score that gets leaked for bad reasons just to knock a person down.
Jazz:
Allen l Wagner
Randle l Olynyk
Porter Jr l Marshall l Tucker
Herro l Okogie l Payton
Fox l Jones
Icness
NFL Analyst

Post#405 » by Icness » Tue Apr 3, 2012 10:38 pm

Manhattan Project wrote:Mainly due to Claiborne's wonderlic score leaking, do teams put any stock into this? Especially for positions outside of QB? It just seems that every year now we get a score that gets leaked for bad reasons just to knock a person down.

I don't know this for a fact but I would bet good money that this was leaked by a team interested in him so they could gauge his reaction. And the reaction of those around him. That kind of stuff goes on all the time, esp. with QBs. It's one of the reasons both Aaron Rodgers and Brady Quinn fell in the drafts, because they didn't handle the talk of them dropping very well. I do know for a fact one team that was very interested in Rodgers passed in no small part because of that. Their loss.

Some teams value Wonderlic more than others, and it's widely regarded as more important for players closer to the ball at the point of snap. Most important are QB, C, ILB, and S. Least important are WR, CB, and RB where great athleticism can trump strong football IQ. Bill Polian put a great emphasis on this, so does the Bill Walsh coaching tree (Eagles, Packers, Browns). It goes against perception but Belichick and the Parcells coaching trees tend to not give a crap.
Manhattan Project
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#406 » by Manhattan Project » Wed Apr 4, 2012 2:52 am

Interesting to hear. It's funny because the Claiborne hype seemed to be rising a bit this week where as Kalil was seen as a lock at three for some time. I was thinking that it shouldn't be that important for a CB mainly because their either in man, zone or scheme. Figure with the Vikings he would be playing man against the great WR's of that division. Tampa he would be playing in a zone, I can't see him falling past five in any scenario.

However to pass on a possible #1 pick due to a wonderlic to me is unfathomable, IIRC it wasn't until just a few weeks before the draft that Smith finally pulled ahead of Rodgers for the top spot.

Either way, thanks for the insight.
Jazz:
Allen l Wagner
Randle l Olynyk
Herro l Okogie l Payton
Fox l Jones
Judith27
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#407 » by Judith27 » Wed Apr 4, 2012 12:46 pm

ImageI think Floyd will go earlier but Fuller will be the better NFL receiver.
Magilla_Gorilla
RealGM

Post#408 » by Magilla_Gorilla » Wed Apr 4, 2012 2:06 pm

Manhattan Project wrote:Interesting to hear. It's funny because the Claiborne hype seemed to be rising a bit this week where as Kalil was seen as a lock at three for some time. I was thinking that it shouldn't be that important for a CB mainly because their either in man, zone or scheme. Figure with the Vikings he would be playing man against the great WR's of that division. Tampa he would be playing in a zone, I can't see him falling past five in any scenario.

However to pass on a possible #1 pick due to a wonderlic to me is unfathomable, IIRC it wasn't until just a few weeks before the draft that Smith finally pulled ahead of Rodgers for the top spot.

Either way, thanks for the insight.

Found this nugget from WalterFootball.com's 2005 NFL Mock Draft

Saturday Update: Sources have reported that the 49ers will indeed draft Alex Smith, but they will try to trade him to the team that drafts Aaron Rodgers for the California quarterback and a few draft picks. Tampa Bay wants Smith, so they may draft Rodgers and orchestrate a trade with San Francisco.

Well, that would have changed some things...

I thought the concern with Rodgers was all about whether he was another Tedford bust.
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,882
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#409 » by NO-KG-AI » Wed Apr 4, 2012 3:12 pm

There were a few issues with Rodgers, the Tedford thing was one worry, but he wasn't prototypical size, there were injury concerns, and he had that weird stance/throwing motion that needed time to be re-worked.
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
ohara
Head Coach
And1: 167

Post#410 » by ohara » Wed Apr 4, 2012 4:41 pm

Trying to find some info on how Floyd did at the ND Pro Day. Curious if he is creeping into the Top 10 on a few more NFL Team Boards. Any info on that for us?
Manhattan Project
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#411 » by Manhattan Project » Wed Apr 4, 2012 9:29 pm

Never heard of that rumor, who knows the validity to it though. It also makes me wonder why they couldn't facilitate a trade with any other team. Looking back I also wonder if the Redskins actually rolling the dice hoping that Rodgers would fall one more pick or they did really like Campbell and would have taken him over Rodgers regardless.

I was curious as to why I had a hard time remembering that draft, then it hit me. Mike Nugent was our first pick.
Jazz:
Allen l Wagner
Randle l Olynyk
Herro l Okogie l Payton
Fox l Jones
Bucksfans1and2
Banned User
And1: 189

Post#412 » by Bucksfans1and2 » Thu Apr 5, 2012 1:00 am

Are David Wilson's fumbling problems noteworthy?
Jaruff
RealGM
And1: 16

Post#413 » by Jaruff » Thu Apr 5, 2012 5:34 am

http://football.realgm.com/src_wiretap_ ... ichardson/\

Any possibility the Bucs would draft Richardson and trade Blount to prevent any problems?
Kwame Brown Fan Club | Free Gilbert Arenas
Icness
NFL Analyst

Post#414 » by Icness » Thu Apr 5, 2012 1:23 pm

ohara wrote:Trying to find some info on how Floyd did at the ND Pro Day. Curious if he is creeping into the Top 10 on a few more NFL Team Boards. Any info on that for us?

He's a top 16 pick. There will be teams where he is the #1 WR, at least two of which pick in the top 10 and might pull the trigger. Chicago really likes him and it will be interesting to see if they invest even more into the WR position.

I prefer Floyd to Blackmon but I'm not sold on either as much as Green or even Jones last year and I think y'all know I wasn't sky high on Julio Jones. Kendall Wright is the best deep/vertical threat and that makes him a different type of WR than these two.

I like Floyd to JAX myself but I don't know what they are thinking. Nobody there knows what they are thinking with the new owner alternately flexing his muscle and telling them he has no say.
Magilla_Gorilla
RealGM

Post#415 » by Magilla_Gorilla » Thu Apr 5, 2012 1:29 pm

Icness wrote:
ohara wrote:Trying to find some info on how Floyd did at the ND Pro Day. Curious if he is creeping into the Top 10 on a few more NFL Team Boards. Any info on that for us?

He's a top 16 pick. There will be teams where he is the #1 WR, at least two of which pick in the top 10 and might pull the trigger. Chicago really likes him and it will be interesting to see if they invest even more into the WR position.

I prefer Floyd to Blackmon but I'm not sold on either as much as Green or even Jones last year and I think y'all know I wasn't sky high on Julio Jones. Kendall Wright is the best deep/vertical threat and that makes him a different type of WR than these two.

I like Floyd to JAX myself but I don't know what they are thinking. Nobody there knows what they are thinking with the new owner alternately flexing his muscle and telling them he has no say.

I know you have Floyd rated as the better receiver - but how big of a drop off is it from Floyd to Wright, as opposed to the dropoff from Wright to one of the second/third round WR's ( Sanu/McNutt/Quick/Randle)?

If the Bears don't trade up for Floyd, but decide to take Wright at 19 - how much of a downgrade would it make as opposed to going DE in the first round and the picking up a WR in the second?
Icness
NFL Analyst

Post#416 » by Icness » Thu Apr 5, 2012 1:32 pm

Bucksfans1and2 wrote:Are David Wilson's fumbling problems noteworthy?

Not as much as his inability to stay upright. He's a smaller back that runs very upright and that leaves him vulnerable to big hits. I know at least three of his fumbles came from hits that were just annihilating, where he pops through the hole and the defender unloaded and Wilson was too upright to protect himself and/or the ball. He takes an inordinate amount of big hits for a shifty/speedy back.
Icness
NFL Analyst

Post#417 » by Icness » Thu Apr 5, 2012 1:36 pm

Jaruff wrote:http://football.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/26674/20120404/blount_wont_be_happy_if_buccaneers_draft_richardson/\

Any possibility the Bucs would draft Richardson and trade Blount to prevent any problems?

Trade? How about cut. If Schiano wants to send a message, that would do it.
Icness
NFL Analyst

Post#418 » by Icness » Thu Apr 5, 2012 1:43 pm

Magilla_Gorilla wrote:
Icness wrote:

I know you have Floyd rated as the better receiver - but how big of a drop off is it from Floyd to Wright, as opposed to the dropoff from Wright to one of the second/third round WR's ( Sanu/McNutt/Quick/Randle)?

If the Bears don't trade up for Floyd, but decide to take Wright at 19 - how much of a downgrade would it make as opposed to going DE in the first round and the picking up a WR in the second?

I think Wright fits better with Chicago than Floyd does because Floyd is redundant with Marshall. Wright is a guy that can push the safety to the other side and that opens things up for Marshall but also for Forte. Plus Cutler throws an outstanding deep ball.

19 is a grey area for DE. It's too late for Coples, Ingram, and Cox and probably too early for the next tier. I know they'll look hard at guys like Perry, Mercilus and even Vinny Curry but that seems high for all of them. But if they want they are better off taking the chance on the DE (or DT) there and waiting for a receiver in the 2nd. WR class is incredibly deep. In the 2nd they could get a guy like Brian Quick or Rueben Randle or Marvin Jones or Alshon Jeffery or several others. The 2nd-4th rounds are going to have between 15 and 20 WRs drafted of all shapes, speeds, and styles.
Icness
NFL Analyst

Post#419 » by Icness » Thu Apr 5, 2012 2:07 pm

More on David Wilson, IMO one of the more interesting prospects in the draft:
On 3rd and short (less than 3) situations, he got the first down on just 14 of his 33 attempts and actually lost yardage on 8.

Inside the 5 yard line in the red zone he had 17 carries for 16 yards and 4 TDs. And he had that notable 22-yard loss against Michigan from the 4.

He's a big-time hit-or-miss back. In the last two years he had 72 runs of 10+ yards on just over 400 carries. But he also lost yardage or got no gain on 41. Very Barry Sanders or Chris Johnson. And 9 fumbles. He tries to outrun everyone outside on almost every carry and frequently tries to cut back and cross the field. For every time it works it fails four. Kelcie McCray from Arkansas State ran him down twice on plays like that because he took good angles and anticipated Wilson's move. McCray is a middle-round safety; guys like Earl Thomas, Eric Berry, Delmas and Polamalu are going to kill him when he tries that.

Despite not playing a great deal in passing situations (shared backfield/injuries) he was on the hook for 4 sacks the last two years. I'm going to give him some benefit there playing with Logan Thomas as the QB but it doesn't speak well regardless. He does catch the ball very easily with his hands.

If you can get him in the open field he's gone, but if he can't get a clear path to that open field he's in trouble. I see a lot of Felix Jones, except Wilson tries even more to get outside on every run than Jones does. Ignore his 4.49 Combine 40 time though, he can fly.
Bucksfans1and2
Banned User
And1: 189

Post#420 » by Bucksfans1and2 » Thu Apr 5, 2012 2:39 pm

With the new audio released of Greg Williams, is it safe to assume that Peyton is sitting in the year and Goodell just might forget to reinstate Williams???

Return to NFL Draft