2012 Ask Jeff Risdon a Question

Moderator: studcrackers

Icness
NFL Analyst
And1: 129

Re: 2012 Ask Jeff Risdon a Question 

Post#421 » by Icness » Thu Apr 5, 2012 5:25 pm

Bucksfans1and2 wrote:With the new audio released of Greg Williams, is it safe to assume that Peyton is sitting in the year and Goodell just might forget to reinstate Williams???

You know what's funny? My whole family got to listen to it on the radio this morning. I thought it was damning given the context but I heard speeches just like that when I played in HS in the late 80s. OUr DC was always trying to fire us up to "go out and make some snot bubbles". When we played against Raymont Harris our entire gameplan was to try and get him off the field. I guess it just didn't strike me as overly unusual or dramatic. Obviously the money aspect escalates the issues and that is completely reprehensible but the rest of it sounded fairly commonplace, yet immature for being directed at NFL players.

My wife--a former pro athlete--was absolutely appalled by it. She's not a prude about violence in sports either. Her attitude was "I'll never let anyone I know spend a dime on any team that employs any of these neanderthals again". She knows that I know some staffers (AD of College Scouting and a couple of regional scouts) and she's like "Are those guys flaming a**holes too". This is the issue that is going to kill the Saints IMO; the casual fan is absolutely horrified by this and it directly impacts the finances.

My 6-year old son is starting football this summer. He was asking all kinds of questions about why players would want to hurt other players like that and why nobody stopped them. He was really nervous about being coached like that and having ot go out and hurt someone that might be his friend. I'm not even sure he wants to play football anymore.

My 3-year old daughter had no idea what was going on but she enjoyed yelling "Beep" when the profanity got bleeped out. She still wants to be a cheerleader.
It's not whether you win or lose, it's how good you look playing the game
Bucksfans1and2
Banned User
And1: 189

Post#422 » by Bucksfans1and2 » Thu Apr 5, 2012 7:28 pm

Icness wrote:
Bucksfans1and2 wrote:With the new audio released of Greg Williams, is it safe to assume that Peyton is sitting in the year and Goodell just might forget to reinstate Williams???

You know what's funny? My whole family got to listen to it on the radio this morning. I thought it was damning given the context but I heard speeches just like that when I played in HS in the late 80s. OUr DC was always trying to fire us up to "go out and make some snot bubbles". When we played against Raymont Harris our entire gameplan was to try and get him off the field. I guess it just didn't strike me as overly unusual or dramatic. Obviously the money aspect escalates the issues and that is completely reprehensible but the rest of it sounded fairly commonplace, yet immature for being directed at NFL players.

My wife--a former pro athlete--was absolutely appalled by it. She's not a prude about violence in sports either. Her attitude was "I'll never let anyone I know spend a dime on any team that employs any of these neanderthals again". She knows that I know some staffers (AD of College Scouting and a couple of regional scouts) and she's like "Are those guys flaming a**holes too". This is the issue that is going to kill the Saints IMO; the casual fan is absolutely horrified by this and it directly impacts the finances.

My 6-year old son is starting football this summer. He was asking all kinds of questions about why players would want to hurt other players like that and why nobody stopped them. He was really nervous about being coached like that and having ot go out and hurt someone that might be his friend. I'm not even sure he wants to play football anymore.

My 3-year old daughter had no idea what was going on but she enjoyed yelling "Beep" when the profanity got bleeped out. She still wants to be a cheerleader.

I just finished my senior year of highschool and our DL coach always was encouraging big hits, but we never had the comments of "aim for the head" and "lets try and break Vernon Davis' ankles." Maybe that's just our staff, but the "let's try and target Crabtree's concussion" is something I've never run into and I played under 8 coaching staffs in 5th-12th grade.

Maybe our administration wouldn't hire those types, or maybe it's different in Wisconsin, but I've never played under a guy who was encouraging players to target certain injuries.
Icness
NFL Analyst

Post#423 » by Icness » Thu Apr 5, 2012 8:44 pm

I do think there is a change of coaching culture going on at the lower levels. My HS DC played linebacker in college in the late 50s and was very much the old school "make 'em bleed" kind of guy. He wanted everyone to be Chuck Bednarik or Sam Huff. I haven't seen much of that kind of guy recently, not in Virginia or Michigan when I reffed back in the 00s. And I think that's a good thing.
Bucksfans1and2
Banned User

Post#424 » by Bucksfans1and2 » Thu Apr 5, 2012 8:56 pm

Icness wrote:I do think there is a change of coaching culture going on at the lower levels. My HS DC played linebacker in college in the late 50s and was very much the old school "make 'em bleed" kind of guy. He wanted everyone to be Chuck Bednarik or Sam Huff. I haven't seen much of that kind of guy recently, not in Virginia or Michigan when I reffed back in the 00s. And I think that's a good thing.

So I guess the question is whether or not Williams is a leftover from a bygone era that most experts are glad is gone? or he's just a little bit worse than everybody else and was just unlucky to get caught?

Do Dick Lebeau and Dom Capers do this stuff?
Manhattan Project
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,964

Post#425 » by Manhattan Project » Fri Apr 6, 2012 5:32 am

My old HS coach used to give a speech to rape and pillage the opposing team. It always came off a extremely funny. The thing with the audio leak is not like the Saints listened and carried out what he said word for word, that gotta help in some small insignificant way.
Jazz:
Allen l Wagner
Randle l Olynyk
Porter Jr l Marshall l Tucker
Herro l Okogie l Payton
Fox l Jones
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,511

Post#426 » by Worm Guts » Fri Apr 6, 2012 1:11 pm

I think there's a pretty big difference between a generic "let's put him out of the game" and an emphasis on targeting the head and targeting the knees like in Williams speech.
Icness
NFL Analyst

Post#427 » by Icness » Fri Apr 6, 2012 2:14 pm

Worm Guts wrote:I think there's a pretty big difference between a generic "let's put him out of the game" and an emphasis on targeting the head and targeting the knees like in Williams speech.

Agree. And rubbing the fingers together to say he'll pay the first bounty is sickening.

There are some coaches that still use the old-school crap like this:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEbN6Vnr1g8[/youtube]

Chuck Cecil coaches like that. Lions DL Coach Kris Kocurek is like that. John Fox is like that behind closed doors. Former Ohio State DC Fred Pagac was like that, actually more like Williams; he was about sidelining the top opposing talent.
RiotPunch
RealGM
And1: 14,877

Post#428 » by RiotPunch » Fri Apr 6, 2012 3:38 pm

Some of my buddies are trying hard to sell me on the idea of McClellin at 28. I hate it, but I am trying to warm up to the idea. SNAP ME OUT OF IT, JEFF!
#FreeChuckDiesel
Bucksmaniac wrote:I'm sorry, but I'm starting to sour on Giannis
Magilla_Gorilla
RealGM
And1: 4,451

Post#429 » by Magilla_Gorilla » Fri Apr 6, 2012 3:54 pm

I'd love to have audio of what Buddy Ryan was like behind closed doors - although I don't know he would have been much different. He was very upfront about the fact that if you could get the opponents backup QB in there playing your odds of winning increase dramatically.

God Bless those 80's Bears teams...
Sham - Y U NO sell me a t-shirt? Best OB/GYN Houston
Magilla_Gorilla
RealGM
And1: 4,451

Post#430 » by Magilla_Gorilla » Fri Apr 6, 2012 3:58 pm

Jeff -

Quite a few of the online scouts/personalities have Illinois receiver AJ Jenkins moving up their draft boards/rankings. Have you watched much tape, and if so what is your impression? Where round do you think he will go off the board, and what player do you see as an appropriate NFL comparison?

Would he be able to come in from Day 1 and play as a #2 WR? Or is he more of a project?
Sham - Y U NO sell me a t-shirt? Best OB/GYN Houston
Icness
NFL Analyst

Post#431 » by Icness » Sat Apr 7, 2012 1:39 am

RiotPunch wrote:Some of my buddies are trying hard to sell me on the idea of McClellin at 28. I hate it, but I am trying to warm up to the idea. SNAP ME OUT OF IT, JEFF!

Here's the deal with McClellin the way I see it:
those of us that have watched him, and Boise, all year long aren't that high on him. Those that came late and only saw highlights and workouts or better process the context of his (somewhat meager) accomplishments are very bullish on him.

I'm not saying he's a stiff because he's not. I think he can play weakside OLB in a 3-4 and probably get a handful of sacks and a few PDs a year. I see him as a Matt Roth or Rob Ninkovic kind of player/contributor. Ninkovic would probably be the best-case for him, very similar build and athletic properties. I thought Frank Zombo could be that type of player but injuries and lack of functional power have stymied that. Is 5 sacks, 55 tackles, 3 PDs, and a forced fumble per year really worth a first round pick? That's a solid piece but not the kind of guy you blow a top 64 pick upon.
Icness
NFL Analyst

Post#432 » by Icness » Sat Apr 7, 2012 1:49 am

Magilla_Gorilla wrote:Jeff -

Quite a few of the online scouts/personalities have Illinois receiver AJ Jenkins moving up their draft boards/rankings. Have you watched much tape, and if so what is your impression? Where round do you think he will go off the board, and what player do you see as an appropriate NFL comparison?

Would he be able to come in from Day 1 and play as a #2 WR? Or is he more of a project?

I think he has Santana Moss-like upside if he can bulk up a little and play with better strength. His attitude and effort are questionable but I've heard he couldn't stand Ron Zook (he's not alone) and that was part of his issue.

He is pretty ready for the NFL if he plays like the guy in 2011, really improved his footwork and release from the line. I like his hands, like his confidence, good runner after the catch. He's a tough eval because for 3 years he basically was an average B1G receiver but his last year he looked like a guy that could start in the NFL. Some scouts like him a lot more than others; I'm in the middle.
studcrackers
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 6,100

Post#433 » by studcrackers » Sat Apr 7, 2012 4:12 pm

Icness wrote:

well im glad im not the only one who thought that
Jugs wrote: I saw two buttholes
studcrackers
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 6,100

Post#434 » by studcrackers » Sat Apr 7, 2012 4:15 pm

Magilla_Gorilla wrote:I'd love to have audio of what Buddy Ryan was like behind closed doors - although I don't know he would have been much different. He was very upfront about the fact that if you could get the opponents backup QB in there playing your odds of winning increase dramatically.

God Bless those 80's Bears teams...

buddy ryan tried to end troy aikmans career his rookie year in 'the bounty bowl'

buddy ryan is a giant cockstain
Jugs wrote: I saw two buttholes
Pharmcat
RealGM
And1: 19,005

Post#435 » by Pharmcat » Sun Apr 8, 2012 5:04 pm

hey jeff

if the nfl wants to end these bounty and targeting players for hits, why dont they stop with the weekly injured reports? a team wont know where to hit opposing player if they dont know the specifics of his injury

cant they just have a weekly inactive list that doesnt specify the reason in details?
Icness
NFL Analyst

Post#436 » by Icness » Sun Apr 8, 2012 10:04 pm

Pharmcat wrote:hey jeff

if the nfl wants to end these bounty and targeting players for hits, why dont they stop with the weekly injured reports? a team wont know where to hit opposing player if they dont know the specifics of his injury

cant they just have a weekly inactive list that doesnt specify the reason in details?

didn't they do that in hockey? Instead of listing a knee or a shoulder they just went to upper or lower body injury or something like that. I don't follow hockey much anymore. Not a bad idea, though with NFL Network and ESPN devoting hours of programming to every little minute detail I doubt it would do much to mask specific injuries.
Bucksfans1and2
Banned User

Post#437 » by Bucksfans1and2 » Sun Apr 8, 2012 10:12 pm

Icness wrote:
Pharmcat wrote:hey jeff

didn't they do that in hockey? Instead of listing a knee or a shoulder they just went to upper or lower body injury or something like that. I don't follow hockey much anymore. Not a bad idea, though with NFL Network and ESPN devoting hours of programming to every little minute detail I doubt it would do much to mask specific injuries.

I don't know to much in the ways of specifics as to how the Free Agent game works, but I'd be really worried about a guys injury history if I saw 10 games missed with "lower body injury." It could be an MCL tear with long lasting impact or it could be a broken leg which will heal with no nerve damage and be fine. If you could look at a guys medical records that would be fine, but that would sort of defeat the purpose of going to upper and lower body injury.

Maybe make it so you could only look it up in the offseason? Planning the offseason would be much harder, plus teams would probably get a dozen doctors to watch the games and point out the slightest injury. Guys would have to go to the locker room for all treatment, if a team wanted any semblance of secrecy.

It'd certainly add another level of psycological warfare.
Bucksfans1and2
Banned User

Post#438 » by Bucksfans1and2 » Sun Apr 8, 2012 11:28 pm

Jeff, I need an explanation of Melvin Ingram. I can't figure him out.
RiotPunch
RealGM
And1: 14,877

Post#439 » by RiotPunch » Mon Apr 9, 2012 12:48 am

Bucksfans1and2 wrote:Jeff, I need an explanation of Melvin Ingram. I can't figure him out.

He is extremely unique. Don't let those short arms fool you; Ingram is a leverage MONSTER. He can take the edge and just as easily shove you on your backside. He is far and away my favorite 3-4 OLB prospect in this draft, it's a shame his stock has skyrocketed so much.

He's the type of player that can take on double-teams, opening things up for Clay and the guy just has "it" when it comes to making plays. We value creating turnovers in Green Bay and he has a rare knack for making that happen.

Now, I'll let the professional answer your question. I just love the guy (as you probably know) so I thought I'd chime in.
#FreeChuckDiesel
Bucksmaniac wrote:I'm sorry, but I'm starting to sour on Giannis
Icness
NFL Analyst

Post#440 » by Icness » Mon Apr 9, 2012 2:52 pm

I generally agree with riotpunch on Ingram. He's a mismatch at end because of his quickness, a mismatch at OLB because of his strength. He has the basic physical ability to play either spot and I know a couple of 4-3 teams like him as a SAM backer as well.

Two things I like that are underreported about Ingram:
1. He sets up his moves very well. He'll set up with different feet and shoulder presentations pre-snap but he can go power or speed or stunt out of any of them quite fluidly. Demarcus Ware does that extraordinarily well and it's a huge problem for linemen to read. Patrick Kerney was excellent at that too and he had a handful of 10+ sack seasons playing primarily 4-3 end but standing up outside the end too in nickel and either rushing or dropping, moving all over the formation.

2. Dude wants it. Bad. During Senior Bowl week I got the chance to talk to him and then Quentin Coples within about a 20 minute period. Ingram was almost giddy about playing and competing against the best, very motivated and humbly confident he was going to become great. Coples was unassuming and completely unenthusiastic about talking about football or his prospects. It was like going from talking to Hulk Hogan to talking to Diane Sawyer. Very different personalities and approaches. That's not to say Coples won't succeed because Julius Peppers and Kam Wimbley are both like him personally, but coaches are going to love the feedback and vigor with Ingram as opposed to Coples.

Return to NFL Draft