ImageImageImageImageImage

2012 Minor Leagues/Prospect Discussion Thread

Moderator: JaysRule15

WpgPage
Rookie
And1: 1

Re: 2012 Minor Leagues/Prospect Discussion Thread 

Post#261 » by WpgPage » Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:35 pm

I doubt he can sustain those numbers in the bigs, I don't think he has middle order skills not in the AL East anyway, 6th maybe? In his prime. For a catcher that's still elite long term I think he will be a slightly above average defensive catcher that will slot into the 6th or 7th slot in the line up and hit 15-20 HR a year.
flatjacket1
Analyst
And1: 66

Post#262 » by flatjacket1 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:26 pm

Relentless88 wrote:D'Arnaud had a .900+ OPS in AA last year. Doesn't that give him middle of the order potential?

Another good point. He could be a middle of the order bat, but 7 1B's posted over an .900 OPS last season. 0 qualified catchers did. It just makes a lot more sense to have him bat as a catcher than to move to 1B and have a mediocre C.

Let's just use the wild assumption he posts the exact same OPS in the MLB as he did in AAA, and lets say JPA OPS'ed .720 (like he did last year). That is around 1.62 worth of OPS between catcher and 1B (assuming we stuck with that combo). If we just released JPA and played with an decent 1B (good but not great) like Casey Kotchman who OPS'ed .800. That gives us 1.70 worth of OPS between the two positions.

1B and DH have some filthy hitters, so I'd rather D'Arnaud not waste the spot even if he could be a league average or better 1B or DH. If your catcher can bat .900 OPS, you can put together some kind of a filthy lineup.

I think he will eventually be a middle order of the bat, just as a catcher, not a 1B.
Avp115 wrote:Bautista>>Mike Trout and Kendrick
flatjacket1
Analyst

Post#263 » by flatjacket1 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:28 pm

Schadenfreude wrote:
Leolovinliberal wrote:Solid to good? Isn't that redundant? I'd still take Weiters over Lind at first.

Of course you're likely to take Weiters over Lind; does not make it a good decision, however.

Let's use the WAR produced by Weiters, Lind and Arencibia in 2011. Weiters at catcher was worth 5 WAR; Lind at 1B was worth 0.5 WAR. Together, they would be worth 5.5 WAR. Conversely, a combination of Weiters at 1B (3.0 WAR) and Arencibia catching (0.9 WAR) would have been worth 3.9 WAR...thus, you'd be much better off having Lind at first and Weiters behind the plate, even if Lind is the weakest player as a standalone.

I love when I make a long post after you said pretty much the same thing. It's all about putting forth the best lineup possible.
Relentless88
RealGM
And1: 101

Post#264 » by Relentless88 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:09 pm

Thanks for the replies. Makes a lot of sense. I guess I'm just fed up with Lind.
Graham's Cracker
Analyst
And1: 647

Post#265 » by Graham's Cracker » Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:23 am

Yikes Chad Jenkins. 2.2 IP and 8 earnies.

Sean Nolin got touched for 4 earned runs over 4 IP. He did have five strikeouts though.

Danny Barnes has been perfect in save attempts 6-6
flatjacket1
Analyst

Post#266 » by flatjacket1 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:29 am

Relentless88 wrote:Thanks for the replies. Makes a lot of sense. I guess I'm just fed up with Lind.

You have every right to be. What angers me is that Cooper is still being held back in favor of Lind. He is an unproven alternative who at worst gains some trade value. He won the AAA batting title and has some power (50 doubles).
Graham's Cracker
Analyst
And1: 647

Post#267 » by Graham's Cracker » Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:36 am

Noticed Cuban Kenen Bailli played for Dunedin tonight. He only had 11 games last year between GCL and Dunedin.

He's 2-4 with 2 doubles and 3 RBI's.

Marisnick, Crouse and Knecht all have 1 hit each. Crouse and Knecht each have a walk.
Wally West
Starter
And1: 329

Post#268 » by Wally West » Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:11 am

Does anyone have a scouting report on Javier Avendano. He's been impressive so far this year. Our scouts must have seen something in this kid. Struck out 6 straight batters in relief the other night.
Want: Trae Young, Michael Porter Jr., DeAndre Ayton, Jaren Jackson Jr, Marvin Bagley III, Mohamad Bamba, Shai Gilgeous- Alexander, Elie Okobo, Jevon Carter
satyr9
Assistant Coach
And1: 563

Post#269 » by satyr9 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:28 pm

Well I know the starting pitching has been quite good, but no Cecil has really taken the options down for the 5th spot. With Carreno pitching tonight, it appears we're down to Hutch or Jesse Chavez for Saturday:

http://sports.nationalpost.com/2012/04/ ... z-gm-says/

Anthopoulos said he hopes the pitcher who gets the call will stay, at least until Dustin McGowan works through his latest rehab from a foot injury. McGowan probably would not be ready until June.

So whoever it is might be here for a while too. Feels pretty damn early for Hutch (3 AA starts) and I know pretty much nothing about Jesse Chavez.
Trilogy
RealGM
And1: 3,584

Post#270 » by Trilogy » Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:59 am

Interesting note, Joel Carreno has begun his scheduled start in LV tonight, so it looks like he's out of the mix for the 5th spot.

It seems crazy, but we might be seeing Hutchison up here after just 6 total starts at AA.

Jesse Chavez is apparently the other option, which is just blah.
Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,047

Post#271 » by Schad » Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:02 am

Blah doesn't quite cover it; starting Chavez is wretch-worthy, if it comes to that. Worse than Laffey. Quite surprised that we're not going with Carreno, and I'd be stunned if it's Hutch.
**** your asterisk.
flatjacket1
Analyst

Post#272 » by flatjacket1 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:06 am

Schadenfreude wrote:Blah doesn't quite cover it; starting Chavez is wretch-worthy, if it comes to that. Worse than Laffey. Quite surprised that we're not going with Carreno, and I'd be stunned if it's Hutch.

Apparently Carreno was going deep into counts in LV, which scares AA for some reason. Chavez isn't terrible, better than Laffey for sure.
There There
Veteran
And1: 201

Post#273 » by There There » Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:40 am

flatjacket1 wrote:
Schadenfreude wrote:Blah doesn't quite cover it; starting Chavez is wretch-worthy, if it comes to that. Worse than Laffey. Quite surprised that we're not going with Carreno, and I'd be stunned if it's Hutch.

Apparently Carreno was going deep into counts in LV, which scares AA for some reason. Chavez isn't terrible, better than Laffey for sure.

You cannot be serious

Chavez is likely a much worse option than Laffey.

He has made four starts since 2005, three of them this year. He has been mediorce to awful as a reliever. He would be the 2012 right handed version of Dana Eveland and Jo-Jo Reyes.

If Chavez is starting for this team, Anthopolous has lost his **** mind.
Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,047

Post#274 » by Schad » Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:50 am

flatjacket1 wrote:

Chavez is unquestionably terrible. His xFIP is a little better than Laffey's, but that's because xFIP takes one look at his insane HR rate and says "holy ****, there's no possible way that's sustainable." But then you look at the fact that he's a power pitcher who has surrendered 1.0 HR/9 over his past 150 IP in the minors, and you realize that yeah, it's quite possible that it is in fact sustainable.
**** your asterisk.
Trilogy
RealGM
And1: 3,584

Post#275 » by Trilogy » Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:55 am

I don't get why a guy like Chavez is getting a look, if they are going the stop gap route it makes more sense to let either Villanueva or Perez start and keeping Evan Crawford in the pen.
satyr9
Assistant Coach
And1: 563

Post#276 » by satyr9 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:39 pm

Trilogy wrote:I don't get why a guy like Chavez is getting a look, if they are going the stop gap route it makes more sense to let either Villanueva or Perez start and keeping Evan Crawford in the pen.

Well, I think if either was the plan there would've been a conditioning stint or something by now to try and stretch them out a bit, but I wonder if they might consider something like what they're doing in the low minors and for the one start on Saturday let Villanueva and Perez go 3 each and get Carreno for the next one. I'd say there's almost zero chance of that happening, but I'm not certain that wouldn't be a stronger move than rushing Hutch or calling up Chavez. It could potentially wreak a bit of havoc on the rest of the 'pen though as they'd need recovery time.
Lateral Quicks
RealGM
And1: 16,359

Post#277 » by Lateral Quicks » Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:08 pm

At this point I'd be surprised if it wasn't Hutch. Farrell loves him, and AA has publicly stated that a promotion wouldn't hinder his progression (ala Alvarez's early promotion). They also don't want a stopgap, and that's precisely what Chavez (who?) would be.

Personally I thought Carreno did well enough to deserve another shot, but as of now I believe Hutch is the better starter.
Nick Nurse recounting his first meeting with Kawhi:
“We could have gone forever. (Raptors management) kept knocking on the door and I was like, ‘A couple more minutes.’ Because we were really into it."
Al_Oliver
Sixth Man
And1: 201

Post#278 » by Al_Oliver » Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:10 pm

satyr9 wrote:
Trilogy wrote:I don't get why a guy like Chavez is getting a look, if they are going the stop gap route it makes more sense to let either Villanueva or Perez start and keeping Evan Crawford in the pen.

Well, I think if either was the plan there would've been a conditioning stint or something by now to try and stretch them out a bit, but I wonder if they might consider something like what they're doing in the low minors and for the one start on Saturday let Villanueva and Perez go 3 each and get Carreno for the next one. I'd say there's almost zero chance of that happening, but I'm not certain that wouldn't be a stronger move than rushing Hutch or calling up Chavez. It could potentially wreak a bit of havoc on the rest of the 'pen though as they'd need recovery time.

The best option was Carreno, not sure why they had him start in Vegas last night. Makes far more sense to have him go and not change other players' roles
LBJSeizedMyID
Sixth Man
And1: 96

Post#279 » by LBJSeizedMyID » Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:47 pm

Agree with this. How many days between starts for Villanueva? They can't fit him anywhere, here's a perfect situation.
jim todd
Sixth Man
And1: 370

Post#280 » by jim todd » Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:23 pm

Like everyone else, I'm surprised it won't be Carreno. At the same time, I'd love to see Hutch in action.

Return to Toronto Blue Jays