ImageImageImageImageImage

2012 Minor Leagues/Prospect Discussion Thread

Moderator: JaysRule15

Michael Bradley
General Manager
And1: 1,901

Re: 2012 Minor Leagues/Prospect Discussion Thread 

Post#281 » by Michael Bradley » Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:11 pm

If the Jays were willing to use a stop-gap 5th starter with McGowan injured I think they probably would have gone with Cecil or Laffey right out of the gate. If I were a betting man, I'd say Hutchison will get the nod.
satyr9
Assistant Coach
And1: 563

Post#282 » by satyr9 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:10 pm

Al_Oliver wrote:The best option was Carreno, not sure why they had him start in Vegas last night. Makes far more sense to have him go and not change other players' roles

Well I'm actually quite happy if they identified something they didn't like about his mechanics (non-repeating delivery I think I) and want to work on getting things right rather than going on his results and hoping he'll continue to be okay.

Really the Laffey up and down that keeps him from being eligible to return in time is the one that I don't get. Not that I'm in a tearing hurry to watch Laffey pitch for the Jays, but this seems to be exactly the situation he was signed for. It's not like they didn't know when they needed a 5th again.
flatjacket1
Analyst
And1: 66

Post#283 » by flatjacket1 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:20 pm

satyr9 wrote:Really the Laffey up and down that keeps him from being eligible to return in time is the one that I don't get. Not that I'm in a tearing hurry to watch Laffey pitch for the Jays, but this seems to be exactly the situation he was signed for. It's not like they didn't know when they needed a 5th again.

I completely agree with this. Although I don't like the idea of Laffey, why shoot yourself in the foot and not allow yourself at least the option. It seems like either a rookie mistake or somehow a planned move?

I don't know.
Avp115 wrote:Bautista>>Mike Trout and Kendrick
vaff87
RealGM
And1: 70,824

Post#284 » by vaff87 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:15 am

Nicolino, Sanchez, and Syndergaard have now combined for 27 innings, 15 hits, 9 walks, 35 strike outs, and 0 runs, by my count.
Graham's Cracker
Analyst
And1: 647

Post#285 » by Graham's Cracker » Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:34 am

Danny Barnes blows his first save at Dunedin this year. He gave up an uncharacteristic 4 walks in two-thirds.

Woj had a good start though. 6 IP 6 Hits 1 ER 1 BB

Crouse and Knecht have both thrown a runner out at the plate.

Marisnick has two hits including a 2B, has a SB too, his fourth.
Graham's Cracker
Analyst

Post#286 » by Graham's Cracker » Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:53 am

Marisnick got his third hit in the 9th a single and walkoff RBI to win the game.
Graham's Cracker
Analyst

Post#287 » by Graham's Cracker » Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:54 am

D'Arnaud has his first HR of the season.

Sierra has his 4th and Snider is continuing to get it done 2-3 (Has a hit in all 12 games to start the season) with a BB, RBI, 2 runs scored and a SB. Footsteps Mr. Thames.
Wally West
Starter
And1: 329

Post#288 » by Wally West » Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:58 am

With Hutchison now promoted to the Blue Jays, I wonder who gets promoted to Double A soon.
Want: Trae Young, Michael Porter Jr., DeAndre Ayton, Jaren Jackson Jr, Marvin Bagley III, Mohamad Bamba, Shai Gilgeous- Alexander, Elie Okobo, Jevon Carter
Graham's Cracker
Analyst

Post#289 » by Graham's Cracker » Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:01 am

blackflash234 wrote:With Hutchison now promoted to the Blue Jays, I wonder who gets promoted to Double A soon.

Asher? He's had back-to-back good starts and a full season in A+.
Al_Oliver
Sixth Man
And1: 201

Post#290 » by Al_Oliver » Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:31 pm

satyr9 wrote:
Al_Oliver wrote:The best option was Carreno, not sure why they had him start in Vegas last night. Makes far more sense to have him go and not change other players' roles

Well I'm actually quite happy if they identified something they didn't like about his mechanics (non-repeating delivery I think I) and want to work on getting things right rather than going on his results and hoping he'll continue to be okay.

Really the Laffey up and down that keeps him from being eligible to return in time is the one that I don't get. Not that I'm in a tearing hurry to watch Laffey pitch for the Jays, but this seems to be exactly the situation he was signed for. It's not like they didn't know when they needed a 5th again.

Good point, do you think that is that what happened?
Now that Hutch seems to be getting the start, I have no problem with the move they made...
satyr9
Assistant Coach
And1: 563

Post#291 » by satyr9 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:58 pm

Al_Oliver wrote:Good point, do you think that is that what happened?
Now that Hutch seems to be getting the start, I have no problem with the move they made...

Well now that it's Hutch it becomes harder to judge anything, 'cause I find the move borderline insane. I would say after using Carreno first that he was still the first option for 5th when needed, so if he didn't come back it was because they didn't like something about his performance either in that start or in the minor ones subsequently. That part seems like a reasonable assumption.

However, their willingness to burn Laffey seems to suggest they knew they weren't going to him (I don't think it was an oversight, nothing suggests they can't calculate this situation out a week or two in advance), which weirds me out about Carreno too. If they didn't like Carreno and knew they wouldn't need Laffey, then they'd already decided to use Hutch and I can't imagine how they'd come to that conclusion that quickly. Now, maybe they meant to use Laffey, hence the call-up, then something happened that made them decide to go with Hutch (this would still be a while back) so they called up Crawford for the help until they needed Hutch.

This is all kind of ridiculous speculation, but I don't understand what happened to make them decide Drew was the guy to get the slot, when he's got so little experience.
WpgPage
Rookie
And1: 1

Post#292 » by WpgPage » Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:26 pm

Graham's Cracker wrote:
blackflash234 wrote:With Hutchison now promoted to the Blue Jays, I wonder who gets promoted to Double A soon.

Asher? He's had back-to-back good starts and a full season in A+.

I would expect it to be Wojo was surprised to not see him in AA to being with.
Graham's Cracker
Analyst

Post#293 » by Graham's Cracker » Sat Apr 21, 2012 1:38 am

Casey Lawrence got promoted to New Hampshire. Pitched in this morning's ball game. Gave up 4 runs in 2 innings. Must've been a crazy day for him though.
Graham's Cracker
Analyst

Post#294 » by Graham's Cracker » Sat Apr 21, 2012 2:23 am

Snider's 2-2 with a 2b and a walk so far. Has hits in every game he's played. #guysonfire
Lateral Quicks
RealGM
And1: 16,403

Post#295 » by Lateral Quicks » Sat Apr 21, 2012 2:28 am

Snider 2 for 2 with a walk so far tonight, and continues to OPS in the 1.3 range. What a beast. I continue to be impressed by his newfound plate discipline. 6 K's vs 9 BB over ~60PA. That'll play.
Nick Nurse recounting his first meeting with Kawhi:
“We could have gone forever. (Raptors management) kept knocking on the door and I was like, ‘A couple more minutes.’ Because we were really into it."
Graham's Cracker
Analyst

Post#296 » by Graham's Cracker » Sat Apr 21, 2012 2:55 am

Lateral Quicks wrote:Snider 2 for 2 with a walk so far tonight, and continues to OPS in the 1.3 range. What a beast. I continue to be impressed by his newfound plate discipline. 6 K's vs 9 BB over ~60PA. That'll play.

I'm starting to get anxious to see how his approach has changed.
flatjacket1
Analyst

Post#297 » by flatjacket1 » Sat Apr 21, 2012 4:38 am

Lateral Quicks wrote:Snider 2 for 2 with a walk so far tonight, and continues to OPS in the 1.3 range. What a beast. I continue to be impressed by his newfound plate discipline. 6 K's vs 9 BB over ~60PA. That'll play.

If he keeps this up, I'm confident he will be up by the deadline.
Trilogy
RealGM
And1: 3,584

Post#298 » by Trilogy » Sat Apr 21, 2012 4:44 am

Yea, the most intriguing part of Snider is the K:BB stuff so far. He's gotten off to a perfect start in Vegas and is pretty much doing everything well at the moment.

It would be unfair to pull the plug on Thames so quickly but I find myself wanting it to happen so Snider can get a good long look here.

I hope he keeps it up and is up here with the big league club soon.
flatjacket1
Analyst

Post#299 » by flatjacket1 » Sat Apr 21, 2012 4:56 am

Trilogy wrote:Yea, the most intriguing part of Snider is the K:BB stuff so far. He's gotten off to a perfect start in Vegas and is pretty much doing everything well at the moment.

It would be unfair to pull the plug on Thames so quickly but I find myself wanting it to happen so Snider can get a good long look here.

I hope he keeps it up and is up here with the big league club soon.

I don't care if he can't hit the broad side of a barn with the bat, as long as his walk:stirkeout rate is good. If I'm AA I'm patting him on the back and telling him his BB:K ratio is much more impressive than his 1.3+ OPS.

I think it's a bit early to start scheduling the championship parade though, it'd be great to see a similar rate in a month or two.
Randle McMurphy
RealGM
And1: 19,270

Post#300 » by Randle McMurphy » Sat Apr 21, 2012 5:30 am

Everybody knows Snider can dominate the AAA level, he's done it before. His #s don't mean too much there (though it's hard to imagine him doing worse than Thames right now).
One flew east, one flew west, one flew over the cuckoo’s nest.

Return to Toronto Blue Jays