ImageImageImageImageImage

2012 Minor Leagues/Prospect Discussion Thread

Moderator: JaysRule15

-MetA4-
Head Coach
And1: 465

Re: 2012 Minor Leagues/Prospect Discussion Thread 

Post#341 » by -MetA4- » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:42 pm

flatjacket1 wrote:I was looking at walks, not OBP. OBP includes BA which isn't needed which deciding eye.

I wasn't talking about OBP; I was talking about wOBA. Either way; who cares about his walks? Yeah, he walked at a 8.6% clip whereas Lind walked at a 5.9% clip...thats nice, except that Lind hit .251 whereas Cooper was hitting .211; thus making his miniscule higher walk rate completely pointless.

You don't got from mediocre in AA to batting title in AAA unless you have some form of improvements

Hechavarria was hitting .235 in New Hampshire last season, got promoted, and proceeded to hit .389 in Las Vegas. Note that this was in the same season; there was no secret offseason improvement. He went from not being able to hit a ball to hitting nearly .400 in 25 games worth of at-bats. It means nothing. Arencibia hit over .300 for a full year and he's a below-average contact hitter and has been his entire career.
WpgPage
Rookie
And1: 1

Post#342 » by WpgPage » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:43 pm

flatjacket1 wrote:
WpgPage wrote:I just can't possibly see a scenario where he sticks in the bigs with that swing, if there was even a chance he could stick I would be all for it but it just seems like a waist of time from my point of view. Now if you see something there then I get wanting him up totally I just don't see it. Next time your watching him watch how early he starts his swing and image how he would fare against a major league change up.

Well I guess you should be a Major league scout, only 10% of the time did he see the changeup so apparently they think they can beat him with fastballs. (43%)

Also as per fangraphs he had most difficulty with the curveball and the sinker and was most successful against the cutter and the 4 seamer.

Oh boy data from 81 MLB PA's, that will be reliable for sure. This still proves my point he got a ton of fast balls could not handle them poor bat speed no future as a major league player. Agree to disagree on this one.
flatjacket1
Analyst
And1: 66

Post#343 » by flatjacket1 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:45 pm

WpgPage wrote:Oh boy data from 81 MLB PA's, that will be reliable for sure. This still proves my point he got a ton of fast balls could not handle them poor bat speed no future as a major league player. Agree to disagree on this one.

I'd take it over some random on the internet and his "scouting ability". Clearly you misread my post, he actually did well against 4 seam fast balls, which he received 43% of.

Agree to disagree it is.
Avp115 wrote:Bautista>>Mike Trout and Kendrick
flatjacket1
Analyst

Post#344 » by flatjacket1 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:48 pm

-MetA4- wrote:I wasn't talking about OBP; I was talking about wOBA. Either way; who cares about his walks? Yeah, he walked at a 8.6% clip whereas Lind walked at a 5.9% clip...thats nice, except that Lind hit .251 whereas Cooper was hitting .211; thus making his miniscule higher walk rate completely pointless.

Look at his BABIP please and thank you. I bet if you gave him another 100 MLB PA's, he'd be hitting above .211.

Hechavarria was hitting .235 in New Hampshire last season, got promoted, and proceeded to hit .389 in Las Vegas. Note that this was in the same season; there was no secret offseason improvement. He went from not being able to hit a ball to hitting nearly .400 in 25 games worth of at-bats. It means nothing. Arencibia hit over .300 for a full year and he's a below-average contact hitter and has been his entire career.

Hech is still struggling the same with K's and BB% which are the things you look for in AAA, in which Cooper is actually doing well with.

Gose and D'Arnaud are hitting under .250 in AAA. Maybe they missed out on the juice?
-MetA4-
Head Coach

Post#345 » by -MetA4- » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:58 pm

flatjacket1 wrote:Look at his BABIP please and thank you. I bet if you gave him another 100 MLB PA's, he'd be hitting above .211.

His BABIP was low because he was hitting for a freaking 24.2% IFFB rate. Thats not "bad luck"; thats putting absolutely horrible swings on the ball. BABIP is not an excuse for him at all. He was completely overmatched and it resulted in him popping the ball up left and right.

Hech is still struggling the same with K's and BB% which are the things you look for in AAA, in which Cooper is actually doing well with.

Hetch is a free-swinger. In the non-inflated Eastern League his free swinging resulted in a .235 average. In the PCL his free-swinging allowed him to hit for well over .300. That applies to Cooper as well; who was a ~.258 hitter and then magically started hitting .360+. The only basis you have for your ridiculous "he can hit" claim is his PCL performance; which is clearly a pure mirage given the fact that he was a completely average hitter over 2 full seasons in the Eastern League.

Gose and D'Arnaud are hitting under .250 in AAA. Maybe they missed out on the juice?

Uhmm, OK? Its called sample size. d'Arnaud was terrible for the first month of last season too. I fail to see what this has to do with Cooper being a non-prospect.
flatjacket1
Analyst

Post#346 » by flatjacket1 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:04 pm

-MetA4- wrote:...

IMO your wrong. Everything you just said. Agree to disagree it is.
-MetA4-
Head Coach

Post#347 » by -MetA4- » Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:10 pm

flatjacket1 wrote:IMO your wrong. Everything you just said..

I'm wrong that Cooper hit an infield fly-ball nearly 25% of the time last year when he was called up? :lol:

Let me explain BABIP to you: low BABIP only signifies "bad luck" if the player in question is also posting healthy batted-ball splits. A player that is hitting a ton of line drives yet has a very low BABIP is being unlucky. A player who is popping the ball up 25% of the time and rightfully has a very low BABIP is not unlucky; he is simply not making good contact. Cooper hit at a 15.3% LD rate and a 24.2% IFFB rate: that is trash.

You're telling me to "look at his BABIP". I just did. His low BABIP was a result of him being a poor hitter.
flatjacket1
Analyst

Post#348 » by flatjacket1 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:18 pm

-MetA4- wrote:

I'm wrong that Cooper hit an infield fly-ball nearly 25% of the time last year when he was called up? :lol:

Let me explain BABIP to you: low BABIP only signifies "bad luck" if the player in question is also posting healthy batted-ball splits. A player that is hitting a ton of line drives yet has a very low BABIP is being unlucky. A player who is popping the ball up 25% of the time and rightfully has a very low BABIP is not unlucky; he is simply not making good contact. Cooper hit at a 15.3% LD rate and a 24.2% IFFB rate: that is trash.

You're telling me to "look at his BABIP". I just did. His low BABIP was a result of him being a poor hitter.

His BABIP was out of line of career averages.
If a player has a very high or very low BABIP, it means that whatever the reason for the spike (whether it’s defense, luck, or slight skill), that player will regress back to their career BABIP rate. BABIP rates are flaky and prone to vary wildly from year to year, so we should always take any extreme BABIP rates with a grain of salt.

I didn't think I'd have to link you to fangraphs for you to finally read what I have posted several times but I guess there's a first for everything.

Go back and re read fangraphs glossary. You might learn a thing or six.
J.Kim
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23

Post#349 » by J.Kim » Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:34 pm

flatjacket1 wrote:
-MetA4- wrote:

His BABIP was out of line of career averages.
If a player has a very high or very low BABIP, it means that whatever the reason for the spike (whether it’s defense, luck, or slight skill), that player will regress back to their career BABIP rate. BABIP rates are flaky and prone to vary wildly from year to year, so we should always take any extreme BABIP rates with a grain of salt.

I didn't think I'd have to link you to fangraphs for you to finally read what I have posted several times but I guess there's a first for everything.

Go back and re read fangraphs glossary. You might learn a thing or six.

Just... Stop. Please.

You cannot look at BABIP as the end-all-be-all, panacea of batted ball data. You need to take a look at that in conjunction with Batted Ball Data to have an accurate view of how a player's BABIP would affect him. In the Fangraphs definition it even says:

"Line drives go for hits more often than groundballs, and groundballs go for hits more often than flyballs."

I'm not exactly sure what kind of hitter Cooper was in the minors without Batted Ball data, but it seems very certain that David Cooper was trending towards a player that MetA4 described, and if that's the case he's less likely to be impacted by a wildly fluctuating BABIP.
-MetA4-
Head Coach

Post#350 » by -MetA4- » Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:35 pm

Gee; I wonder if his "out of line" BABIP may be due to the fact that he's facing freaking major-league pitching and not dicking around with minor league pitchers, or worse yet the PCL where Adeiny Hechavarria can look like Ichiro with the bat. Major League pitching made him pop the ball up 24% of the time last season. He was bad at the plate; and his .211 batting average showed that.

Adam Lind's BABIP is well below his career average as well yet I dont see you riding his nuts. Lind on the other hand actually has seasons of high BABIP at the Major League level to boot: he had a .317 BABIP in 2008 and a .323 BABIP in 2009. His BABIP the last 2 seasons if well below that...do you know why? Because his hitting ability has deteriorated for whatever reason.
flatjacket1
Analyst

Post#351 » by flatjacket1 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:49 pm

-MetA4- wrote:Gee; I wonder if his "out of line" BABIP may be due to the fact that he's facing freaking major-league pitching and not dicking around with minor league pitchers, or worse yet the PCL where Adeiny Hechavarria can look like Ichiro with the bat. Major League pitching made him pop the ball up 24% of the time last season. He was bad at the plate; and his .211 batting average showed that.

Adam Lind's BABIP is well below his career average as well yet I dont see you riding his nuts. Lind on the other hand actually has seasons of high BABIP at the Major League level to boot: he had a .317 BABIP in 2008 and a .323 BABIP in 2009. His BABIP the last 2 seasons if well below that...do you know why? Because his hitting ability has deteriorated for whatever reason.

A Rod hits 27.3% IFFB, Edwin 29% and Josh Willingham 26.5% in 2011.

Great use of statistics

For the last time, agree to disagree. All this is turning into is a fight, it no longer even contains any logic. I watch a lot of Cooper games and I love AAA baseball, I clearly am not going to shift my views to accommodate some random poster.

This is the last post I am making on this matter (I'm still going to use this thread obviously).
-MetA4-
Head Coach

Post#352 » by -MetA4- » Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:43 am

flatjacket1 wrote:A Rod hits 27.3% IFFB

In a freaking 15 game sample to start this season. You conveniently left that part out. A-Rod has had a sub 10% IFFB rate in each of the last 4 seasons,

Edwin 29%

In 15 games in 2012. 17.2% in 2011, 15.8% in 2010.

and Josh Willingham 26.5% in 2011.

Uhh, no. Willingham was 15.1% in 2011. You are once again looking at this year's numbers; which are based off a 16 game sample :roll: .

Great use of statistics

Are you serious kid? I'm trying to be nice but my patience is running thin. Yes, great use of statistics in trying to tell me that 3 guys are hitting at 25%+ IFFB rate in the freaking 15 game start to the 2012 season. What did you think, that I wasn't going to actually look at those numbers after you posted them? Strong frauding.
Tyrone Slothrop
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,203

Post#353 » by Tyrone Slothrop » Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:50 am

Can't we just get back to talking about how much we love Syndergaard, Sanchez and Nicolino????
flatjacket1
Analyst

Post#354 » by flatjacket1 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:51 am

Tyrone Slothrop wrote:Can't we just get back to talking about how much we love Syndergaard, Sanchez and Nicolino????

I love Syndergaard. Kid's an ace in the making.
Relentless88
RealGM
And1: 101

Post#355 » by Relentless88 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:54 am

Anybody know what happened to Cecil? He was placed on the 7 day DL?

Carreno with 3 earned runs in 2 innings so far.
-MetA4-
Head Coach

Post#356 » by -MetA4- » Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:58 am

Relentless88 wrote:Anybody know what happened to Cecil? He was placed on the 7 day DL?

He left his last start with what I believe was a pulled groin.
flatjacket1
Analyst

Post#357 » by flatjacket1 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:00 am

-MetA4- wrote:Are you serious kid? I'm trying to be nice but my patience is running thin. Yes, great use of statistics in trying to tell me that 3 guys are hitting at 25%+ IFFB rate in the freaking 15 game start to the 2012 season. What did you think, that I wasn't going to actually look at those numbers after you posted them? Strong frauding.

SSS for last season for Cooper then. I can bet you all the money in your piggy bank that Cooper will have a lower IFFB rate when he finally gets the call in a 500+ PA sample size.

Double edged sword my friend.
flatjacket1
Analyst

Post#358 » by flatjacket1 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:17 am

Cooper has a double so far in Vegas in 2 AB's. Gose is also 1 for 2 with a SO, Nanita is 1-2 with a double. Hech has our only walk in the 4th.

Hech and Gose each have a steal.
Relentless88
RealGM
And1: 101

Post#359 » by Relentless88 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:42 am

-MetA4- wrote:
Relentless88 wrote:Anybody know what happened to Cecil? He was placed on the 7 day DL?

He left his last start with what I believe was a pulled groin.

Thanks.
baulderdash77
Lead Assistant
And1: 235

Post#360 » by baulderdash77 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:47 am

Hechavarria is still killing it in Vegas although the power numbers are normalizing with more appearances.

In 202 PA's in the PCL he's now at .356/.396/.479. Amazing for a guy to just become a good hitter after struggling to .248/.286/.351 in 775 PA's in AA.

I know he's made changes to his swing and approach but that's a 238 point increase in his OPS with the level change.

It's strange that d'Arnaud is really struggling. Hard to pine for him over JPA when he's hitting just .220 in that dustbox they call a stadium.

Return to Toronto Blue Jays