Moderator: theBigLip

kellmellus50
Starter
And1: 137

NFL draft grades 

Post#1 » by kellmellus50 » Wed May 2, 2012 11:36 am

http://www.freep.com/article/20120501/S ... d|mostview

Detroit averaged a B

But i give then an A for free agent pick-ups.
Lionlifer
Rookie
And1: 626

Re: NFL draft grades 

Post#2 » by Lionlifer » Wed May 2, 2012 1:04 pm

I thought I read online that Skip Bayless loved our draft.....meaning none of the players will pan out...
2016 Pistons All Time Fantasy League Champ!
TSE
Banned User
And1: 9

Post#3 » by TSE » Wed May 2, 2012 11:26 pm

I thought what we did well was retaining our own players. That was a great job. Everything else sucked.
Blkbrd671
RealGM
And1: 4,819

Post#4 » by Blkbrd671 » Thu May 3, 2012 12:37 am

i don't love our draft. but i think that we got great value. we filled some holes, and got pieces for the future.

its up to the draftee's from this point on.
TSE
Banned User

Post#5 » by TSE » Fri May 4, 2012 12:04 am

...and to the coaches, and still to the GM to ensure as such - and to make provisions for a solution in the event of any breakdown that could come about. The players can't do and control and be responsible for everything in their new universe. The support group being there and consisting of high level performers is independent of their control, and that foundation should be there as a fair assumption of a professional standard.
Icness
NFL Analyst
And1: 129

Post#6 » by Icness » Wed May 16, 2012 1:15 pm

I thought the first four picks were great. Reiff is an eventual (if not immediate) starter at a position of need with terrible depth. He might not be a great talent but he's an upgrade. That's the point of the draft: to upgrade the positions that need it.

Bentley and Lewis each went a round later than they should have, that's value right there. I like that the Lions finally aren't dependent on having their 2nd-4th round picks make immediate impacts on the team. These guys will have to earn it and I think the paradigm shift in draft strategy and team philosophy bodes well long-term, even if it causes a little slip in 2012.

I thought the picks after Lewis were real dicey at best. Greenwood is probably the only one that ever sees non-special teams action and he's a lot more athlete than football player. Maybe Travis Lewis will surprise me. UDFAs didn't excite me much though it appears Patrick Edwards and Alonzo Lawrence are going to stick. Moore is the #3 QB if they keep three, can't complain about that as a UDFA.
It's not whether you win or lose, it's how good you look playing the game
Blkbrd671
RealGM
And1: 4,819

Post#7 » by Blkbrd671 » Thu May 17, 2012 12:49 am

ICE

Whats our secondary looking like. will bently start? or you think he's capable of it?

and how far along is Broyles in his rehab?
Icness
NFL Analyst
And1: 129

Post#8 » by Icness » Thu May 17, 2012 2:47 am

Blkbrd671 wrote:ICE

Whats our secondary looking like. will bently start? or you think he's capable of it?

and how far along is Broyles in his rehab?

Secondary will hit camp like this:
Houston and Delmas are locks to start. #2 corner will be battle between Berry and Lacey. Bentley will be top inside/slot corner, which means he will start against teams that go 3 or 4 WR as base package (GB, NO, PHI, etc). If Berry wins #2 job, Lacey is #4. If Lacey wins #2 like I think he will, Berry has to fight with Greenwood and Smith for #4 and his fight looks to be uphill. Don Carey is ostensibly in that battle too but he's the kind of guy you can cut and re-sign later if needed. Smith gets bonus points for special teams but I'm not sure how much that will help him keep a roster spot if Jonte Green or Greenwood are equal to him on defense.

#2 safety is Spievey's job to lose and I think a full offseason as a safety can only help him. I believe the Lions would like Alonzo Young to take one of the reserve jobs from Erik Coleman or Ricardo Silva. Wendling makes the team as the #4 safety because he's one of the best special teams guys in the league and he doesn't miss tackles.

So the locks for the team
CB--Houston, Bentley, Lacey
S--Spievey, Delmas, Wendling

If they do like most teams and keep 6 corners and four safeties...
3 CBs from group of Smith, Berry, Greenwood, Green, Carey, Ross Weaver. I would say Smith, Berry, and Greenwood make the team
4th safety comes from Silva, Coleman, Lawrence. I can see Greenwood moving to safety a la Spievey too, but not this year.

The word I got from the first week was that Greenwood clearly has strong potential but his footwork and ability to anticipate routes need lots of work. Green is fast and can turn and run but had trouble figuring out where he belonged. Way too early to judge though. Look for one to make active roster and the other to go practice squad.
It's not whether you win or lose, it's how good you look playing the game
TSE
Banned User

Post#9 » by TSE » Thu May 17, 2012 11:48 pm

Nice good-read answer.

Return to Detroit Lions