ImageImageImage

Drummond: Celts want to meet with him

Moderators: bisme37, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob

King d
Banned User
And1: 40

Re: Drummond: Celts want to meet with him 

Post#61 » by King d » Fri Jun 8, 2012 5:29 pm

hickfromfrenchlick wrote:
King d wrote:Drummond has bust written all over him, I wouldn't give Bradley and a pick for a center who can't rebound, shoot , score or make a simple layup.

He can do all of those things except shoot -- plus rebound and block shots. Not sure what games you were watching but one thing the guy does is make the ball go in the hoop when he gets it deep.

No, he can't. Just 7 rebounds per game at the ncaa level is a very poor number for a guy with his size and athletic ability. That's a major red flag, his motor is worse than Thabeet's one, I don't care about how old is he or whatever, there is no excuse for that
bigboi
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,028

Post#62 » by bigboi » Fri Jun 8, 2012 5:32 pm

King d wrote:
hickfromfrenchlick wrote:
King d wrote:Drummond has bust written all over him, I wouldn't give Bradley and a pick for a center who can't rebound, shoot , score or make a simple layup.

He can do all of those things except shoot -- plus rebound and block shots. Not sure what games you were watching but one thing the guy does is make the ball go in the hoop when he gets it deep.

No, he can't. Just 7 rebounds per game is a very poor number for a guy with his size and athletic ability. That's a major red flag, his motor is worse than Thabeet's one

Except you're forgetting it's in the Big East and they're the best big man conference
tlee324 wrote:
Lebron made it to the finals with that cleveland team.

Bird would have won 4 rings with that team, in this weak ass era of basketball.
Rondo2Hondo
Banned User

Post#63 » by Rondo2Hondo » Fri Jun 8, 2012 6:00 pm

FreeDrop wrote:
Rondo2Hondo wrote:
FreeDrop wrote:i don't like him

Good analysis. Hopefully Danny listens to your great opinion.

If Danny listens to anyone on a message board he's a bigger fool than anyone.

I watched this guy play every game at Uconn. He had zero Impact on a team that should have been very good, he doesn't have the motor, the drive, the will, call it what you will. He's a classic in the long line of 7 footers who everyone gets enamored with for size and athleticism but turn out to be busts.

If someone takes him in the top 5 they'll be sorry. Now, if he falls to 21 or 22, that's a different story. I may take a flier on him, but it depends who else is out there. But if Danny moves up to get this guy via trade, good Lord, huge mistake.

If he listened to you he would be an even bigger fool.

Drummond had to play in a terrible system last year with one of the most prolific chuckers I have ever seen - Napier put up shots like Kobe, but with half of Miles Simon's game.

Drummond is 18.

Has not had proper coaching for an extended period of time.

Go look at what Duncan, Olajuwon, Robinson, Mourning, Mutombo did in their first year in NCAA. Then compare what Drummond did to Meyers Leonards freshman season.

Basketball IQ is something that is learned over time. Give the kid some time.
Rondo2Hondo
Banned User

Post#64 » by Rondo2Hondo » Fri Jun 8, 2012 6:02 pm

king d wrote:No, he can't. Just 7 rebounds per game is a very poor number for a guy with his size and athletic ability. That's a major red flag, his motor is worse than Thabeet's one

Have a look at his age and experience and get back to me. Calhoun was away from the team a lot, and Napier was running the chuck show. I'm getting sick of writing, 'Give the kid a break and some time.'
bigboi
Lead Assistant

Post#65 » by bigboi » Fri Jun 8, 2012 6:12 pm

Rondo2Hondo wrote:
bigboi wrote:No, he can't. Just 7 rebounds per game is a very poor number for a guy with his size and athletic ability. That's a major red flag, his motor is worse than Thabeet's one

Except you're forgetting it's in the Big East and they're the best big man conference

Have a look at his age and experience and get back to me. Calhoun was away from the team a lot, and Napier was running the chuck show. I'm getting sick of writing, 'Give the kid a break and some time.'[/quote]

Why'd you quote me, I'm arguing for Drummond. Personally I think if he comes to our team or goes to the Spurs, he becomes a star
tlee324 wrote:

Rondo2Hondo
Banned User

Post#66 » by Rondo2Hondo » Fri Jun 8, 2012 7:31 pm

King d wrote:No, he can't. Just 7 rebounds per game at the ncaa level is a very poor number for a guy with his size and athletic ability. That's a major red flag, his motor is worse than Thabeet's one, I don't care about how old is he or whatever, there is no excuse for that

Actually it was 7.6 rpg in 28.4 mpg

He shot 53.8% from the floor - and has the potential to grow into a 60% FG shooter.

He shot 28.6% from the line, let's give him the benefit of the doubt that he can grow into a 60% free throw shooter.

Now let's take a look at those freshman stats

-Freshman Drummond: 28.4 mpg, 10.2 ppg. 7.6 rpg, 2.7 bpg, 53% FG, 28% FT
Per 36: 12.9 ppg, 9.6 rpg, 3.4 bpg
-point guard, played with Shabazz Napier - draft express rank him as the 55th best sophomore in his class. Shot 39% from the field. Never looked for Drummond. Basically Boatright, Lamb and Napier taking turns at chucking.

-Junior Drummond with a few years of good coaching in the NCAA:
30 mpg, 18 ppg, 14 rpg, 4 bpg, 62% FG, 60% FT
- These are not too hard to believe. We're judging a freshman with hardly any top level coaching or weight training.

-Freshman Hakeem: 18 mpg, 8.3 ppg, 6.2 rpg, 2.5 bpg, 60% FG, 56% FT
Per 36: 16.6 ppg, 12.4 rpg, 5 bpg
-Played with Rob Williams (PG) - 9 assists per 36 in NBA as a rookie! Also, Clyde Drexler (one of the best passers at SG ever)

-Freshman Admiral: 13 mpg, 7.6 ppg, 4 rpg, 1.3 bpg, 62% FG, 57% FT
Per 36: 21 ppg, 11 rpg, 3.6 bpg
-NO NBA level point guard on roster as freshman

-Freshman Shaq: 28.2 mpg, 13.9 ppg, 12 rpg, 3.6 bpg, 57% FG, 56% FT
Per 36: 17.8 ppg, 15.3 rpg, 4.6 bpg
-played with future NBA point guard Chris Jackson (Abdul-Rauf)

-Freshman Duncan: 30.2 mpg, 9.8 ppg, 9.6 rpg, 3.75 bpg, 55% FG, 75% FT
Per 36: 11.7 ppg, 11.4 rpg, 4.5 bpg
-played with future NBA point guard Randolph Childress

-Freshman Alonzo: 28.3 mpg, 13.1 ppg, 7.3 rpg, 4.9 bpg, 60% FG, 67% FT
Per 36: 16.6 ppg, 9.3 rpg, 6.2 bpg
-played with Charles Smith - a decent point guard who made the Celtics and Jaren Jackson, solid passer

-Freshman Mutombo: 11.3 mpg, 3.9 ppg, 3.3 rpg, 2.3 bpg, 71% FG, 48% FT
Per 36: 12.42 ppg, 10.51 rpg, 7.3 bpg
-played with Charles Smith - a decent point guard who made the Celtics and Jaren Jackson, solid passer

-Freshman Ewing: 28.8 mpg, 12.7 ppg, 7.5 rpg, 3.2 bpg, 63% FG, 62% FT
Per 36: 15.9 ppg, 9.4 rpg, 4 bpg
-played with NBA point guard Sleepy Floyd

Maybe if these guys all came out as freshman they on't go number 1 overall, and people all question all the holes in their respective games.

Drummond out rebounded Ewing and Mourning per 36 as a freshman, out scored Duncan and Mutombo per 36.

The one skill people aren't worried about, his shot blocking, is actually below all these elite guys. He was often out of position, and that can be fixed with game time and coaching.
Rondo2Hondo
Banned User

Post#67 » by Rondo2Hondo » Fri Jun 8, 2012 7:33 pm

bigboi wrote:Why'd you quote me, I'm arguing for Drummond. Personally I think if he comes to our team or goes to the Spurs, he becomes a star

Sorry bigboi, I deleted the wrong quote bracket.

I get lost when there are so many quotes on top of each other
FreeDrop
Pro Prospect
And1: 82

Post#68 » by FreeDrop » Fri Jun 8, 2012 7:43 pm

The NBA is littered with the carcasses of big men who looked good on paper but went bust in the NBA. He had little impact on Uconn this year and there are questions about his motor. Maybe he should stay a year or more in college if he is so green. I don't want to trade my future starting 2 and the best defender in the NBA at the position for a guy who may, but probably won't, pan out. And if he does, it'll be 5 years down the road. If he falls to 21, fine, but I don't want to trade up for him. When you're talking top 5 pick, the head and the heart have to be as strong as the "upside" -- it's just too big a risk otherwise. Let him be someone else's project.
humblebum
Banned User
And1: 1,755

Post#69 » by humblebum » Fri Jun 8, 2012 7:48 pm

I agree FreeDrop.

If the Celtics are going to get up into the top 8 picks I hope it's for the next Paul Pierce or Ray Allen, not the next Michael Olowokandi.
Rondo2Hondo
Banned User

Post#70 » by Rondo2Hondo » Fri Jun 8, 2012 10:37 pm

humblebum wrote:I agree FreeDrop.

If the Celtics are going to get up into the top 8 picks I hope it's for the next Paul Pierce or Ray Allen, not the next Michael Olowokandi.

Avy bet on his rookie season? I predict he's all rookie first team.
bigboi
Lead Assistant

Post#71 » by bigboi » Fri Jun 8, 2012 10:49 pm

Honestly I would rather have Drummond over Bradley. Think about it, Stiesma looked somewhat decent with Rondo and Drummond is waaayyyy more talented, so imagine what he would do.
tlee324 wrote:

crosko42
Starter
And1: 681

Post#72 » by crosko42 » Fri Jun 8, 2012 11:19 pm

bigboi wrote:Honestly I would rather have Drummond over Bradley. Think about it, Stiesma looked somewhat decent with Rondo and Drummond is waaayyyy more talented, so imagine what he would do.

This.

If we get him it will be a coup so long as it's not for Rondo.

Rondo to Drummond would be ridiculous for the next 5+ seasons.

Also, think of the trade possibilities if he plays well and howard becomes available again near the deadline, a developing young big man with huge potential is worth 10x as much as a young developing combo guard.

We all know how much ainge values his "chips" and drummond would be a huge one moving forward.
jfs1000d
RealGM
And1: 13,964

Post#73 » by jfs1000d » Sat Jun 9, 2012 12:39 am

What's is worst case on drummond? Deandre Jordan probably. Kendrick Perkins if he develops some nastiness. Really, worst case he is useful. Guys with this size and athleticism and footwork pan out. He isn't lazy, lime thabeet, he is just passive because he hasn't played much.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2
StojkoVrankovic
RealGM
And1: 9,600

Post#74 » by StojkoVrankovic » Sat Jun 9, 2012 12:58 am

jfs1000d wrote:What's is worst case on drummond? Deandre Jordan probably. Kendrick Perkins if he develops some nastiness. Really, worst case he is useful. Guys with this size and athleticism and footwork pan out. He isn't lazy, lime thabeet, he is just passive because he hasn't played much.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

If he gets it together the sky is the limit. As a fellow UConn fan we both know the kid has crazy tools and was probably in one of the worst situations possible this year. At times he looked awesome, but would sneeze wrong and Calhoun will pull him from the game.

UConn was a mess, Calhoun has his obsession with Nap and the guard play, the rotations were crazier than usual this year. Could the kid have done more? sure, but to hold this year against him just shows people have zero grasp of the situation in Storrs.

This kid next to Rondo would be insane.
RIP texas celtic, 12/10/14 - 12/10/14
jfs1000d
RealGM

Post#75 » by jfs1000d » Sat Jun 9, 2012 1:36 am

Stojko got it right on Drummond. Pretty close to people up there, Drummond dominated pickup games when Rudy Gay, Caron Butler and Ray Allen were there along with Kemba Walker. During the lockout, it was like a UConn NBA player training camp.

He doesn't know how to play. But, he was 10 times better in February than he was in November. He should stop trying to be Amare, and look at Shaq and D12. This guy is so big and powerful, runs the floor like a deer and never gets tired, I just got to take a chance. I am talking myself into this move :lol:
jfs1000d
RealGM

Post#76 » by jfs1000d » Sat Jun 9, 2012 1:44 am

Also, If we are taking the time to meet with Drummond, interview Barnes, something must be hot enough that we think we can break into the top 10.

I imagine the Top 3 are looking like DAvis, Robinson (low ceiling), way too limited, but I digress), MKG.
No.4 will be Beal, and Drummond, Barnes and probably Lamb are next up.

We are targeting between 5-10. Getting into top 2 is impossible. We can swing a deal for No. 5.
humblebum
Banned User

Post#77 » by humblebum » Sat Jun 9, 2012 1:51 am

Rondo2Hondo wrote:
humblebum wrote:I agree FreeDrop.

Avy bet on his rookie season? I predict he's all rookie first team.

I guess I was being pretty harsh when I said Olowokandi... oops. It was probably some residual anger from seething over constant ideas of trading Avery for Drummond, which is an idea that I detest.

But I'll take your bet and raise you Rivers/Draymond Green as Celtics targets.

I don't know the first thing about avatars.
humblebum
Banned User

Post#78 » by humblebum » Sat Jun 9, 2012 1:54 am

jfs1000d wrote:Also, If we are taking the time to meet with Drummond, interview Barnes, something must be hot enough that we think we can break into the top 10.

I imagine the Top 3 are looking like DAvis, Robinson (low ceiling), way too limited, but I digress), MKG.

We are targeting between 5-10. Getting into top 2 is impossible. We can swing a deal for No. 5.

Could it mean that Ainge is pulling an okie doke with a Rondo trade to get into one or two of these coveted draft spots? Rondo is the only guy who I could see commanding enough value to trade up for a top 4-5 pick. I don't see Drummond going lower. Someone will fall in love with his size and it will be lights out.
UGA Hayes
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 15,880

Post#79 » by UGA Hayes » Sat Jun 9, 2012 2:00 am

I don't mind the idea of moving up, but for Drummond or Barnes. No Thank you.
jfs1000d
RealGM

Post#80 » by jfs1000d » Sat Jun 9, 2012 2:01 am

humblebum wrote:
jfs1000d wrote:Also, If we are taking the time to meet with Drummond, interview Barnes, something must be hot enough that we think we can break into the top 10.

Could it mean that Ainge is pulling an okie doke with a Rondo trade to get into one or two of these coveted draft spots? Rondo is the only guy who I could see commanding enough value to trade up for a top 4-5 pick. I don't see Drummond going lower. Someone will fall in love with his size and it will be lights out.

Rondo is third team ALl-nba. He's worth more than any pick in this draft bu Davis at No.1. It can't be for Rondo.

As far as other chips, I doubt it's pierce since we would need to find a bigtime scorer. Could be, but I think it's more 2 first round picks and/or Avery Bradley with JJJ thrown in. I think we give up 1 this year, and one next year. Bradley's probably worth a No. 10-14 pick right about now.

Return to Boston Celtics