ImageImage

OT - Cutting the Cord

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis

BucksRUS
Analyst
And1: 12

Re: OT - Cutting the Cord 

Post#41 » by BucksRUS » Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:35 pm

Nebula1 wrote:How much TV do you guys watch on average per week?

I found that one day my tv was dusty and hadn't been turned on in weeks so I got rid of it for good.

Less than an hour a day. Usually when I am exercising. Kids watch more, especially on the weekends.
Trade S. Jackson soon. NJ seems like a nice place for him.
A Diddy2231
Analyst
And1: 106

Post#42 » by A Diddy2231 » Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:17 am

Time Warner no longer carrying WISN..Channel 12 ABC in Milwaukee viewing areas
Johnny wrote:You betrayed me! You're not good. You, you're just a chicken. Chip-chip-chip-chip-cheep-cheep.
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,283

Post#43 » by trwi7 » Sun Jul 15, 2012 4:19 pm

A Diddy2231 wrote:Time Warner no longer carrying WISN..Channel 12 ABC in Milwaukee viewing areas

Was watching WTMJ and they talked about how Time Warner wasn't carrying WISN and how they may not be your first choice but we're here and on your side (seriously worse than the Bucks slogans over the years). Their first news story after that? Show us how ugly your lawn is.
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
SheedsWeed
RealGM
And1: 0

Post#44 » by SheedsWeed » Sun Jul 15, 2012 4:26 pm

Nebula1 wrote:Been without cable for a number of years now and without a TV for about 2.5 years. Don't miss them at all.

How do you watch Bucks games? League Pass Broadband? What about the NFL?
Nebula1
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#45 » by Nebula1 » Sun Jul 15, 2012 5:31 pm

SheedsWeed wrote:
Nebula1 wrote:Been without cable for a number of years now and without a TV for about 2.5 years. Don't miss them at all.

LP Broadband. Obviously the blackouts suck, but since I'm not in WI I get most of the Bucks games. Ideally they will drop the blackout access or make it eligible to pay more to get access. But overall the NBA online presentation has been only getting better.

I don't watch much NFL but if it's on at a bar or a house I can catch it. I utilize Bloomberg, Live News Chat, Veetle, Justin.tv, Hulu, etc. for non-sports. Considering we only get ~700,000 hours per lifetime I cannot justify much TV. Most Americans will spend 15-20% (100,000+ hours) of their lifetime watching TV. Instead flip that 100,000 hours of TV into productivity and land far ahead of most Americans.
SheedsWeed
RealGM
And1: 0

Post#46 » by SheedsWeed » Sun Jul 15, 2012 5:43 pm

Nebula1 wrote:
SheedsWeed wrote:

LP Broadband. Obviously the blackouts suck, but since I'm not in WI I get most of the Bucks games. Ideally they will drop the blackout access or make it eligible to pay more to get access. But overall the NBA online presentation has been only getting better.

I don't watch much NFL but if it's on at a bar or a house I can catch it. I utilize Bloomberg, Live News Chat, Veetle, Justin.tv, Hulu, etc. for non-sports. Considering we only get ~700,000 hours per lifetime I cannot justify much TV. Most Americans will spend 15-20% (100,000+ hours) of their lifetime watching TV. Instead flip that 100,000 hours of TV into productivity and land far ahead of most Americans.

Ah ok. I don't know if I could live without the NFL on my own TV though. :)
Nebula1
RealGM

Post#47 » by Nebula1 » Sun Jul 15, 2012 5:54 pm

There are ways to watch the NFL. Redzone has a mobile feature, I believe but I'm not up on my NFL products.
REDDzone
RealGM
And1: 5,126

Post#48 » by REDDzone » Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:08 pm

Nebula1 wrote:There are ways to watch the NFL. Redzone has a mobile feature, I believe but I'm not up on my NFL products.

YOU HAVE A MOBILE FEATURE
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
Nebula1
RealGM

Post#49 » by Nebula1 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:12 am

REDDzone wrote:
Nebula1 wrote:There are ways to watch the NFL. Redzone has a mobile feature, I believe but I'm not up on my NFL products.

YOU HAVE A MOBILE FEATURE

I do. I have Verizon and they forced me to have some NFL apps. Can't delete them.
gbmb34
Pro Prospect
And1: 74

Post#50 » by gbmb34 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:44 pm

Without posting links and assuming you can deal with not great feeds, you can literally watch every NFL and NBA game. MLB is where it gets tough.
packerbreakdown.wordpress.com
Aaron It Out
General Manager
And1: 3,101

Post#51 » by Aaron It Out » Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:39 pm

Has anyone seen this?

http://fiber.google.com/about/

It's only going to start in Kansas City but it could (and should) expand. I'm pretty sure fiber optic internet connections are pretty common in Europe for prices way cheaper than what we pay for our crap here in the States. I could be wrong on that though.

Google Fiber offers 3 plans, they have "Free Internet" which you pay a $300 fee ($25 over 12mo) and then you have internet free forever. That plan runs at current speeds we're used to.

For 70/mo they offer 1GB speed plan.

The winner though is for 120/mo you get the gigabyte internet, HD TV with a lot of channels. Missing a few key channels like ESPN and NBA TV but it has NFL and MLB Network. Also comes with a free Galaxy Nexus which is basically your remote.

The DVR has a 2TB storage and you can record 8 shows at once. It sounds really cool. Obviously being only in one city right now and with Google's typical awkward approach to releasing something really awesome that would hit off right away.
EastSideBucksFan wrote:At some point this board is going to have to drop their stupid bullsht agendas and just enjoy the team for once.
DigitalFool
Veteran
And1: 138

Post#52 » by DigitalFool » Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:17 pm

Yeah, I remember Milwaukee tried to get in the program -

http://www.jsonline.com/news/milwaukee/87238057.html
Aaron It Out
General Manager
And1: 3,101

Post#53 » by Aaron It Out » Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:23 pm

Oh wow I didn't realize this was old news. The first I heard of it was today.
EastSideBucksFan wrote:At some point this board is going to have to drop their stupid bullsht agendas and just enjoy the team for once.
Badgerlander
RealGM
And1: 6,968

Post#54 » by Badgerlander » Wed Aug 1, 2012 12:35 am

a little otish but
http://gigaom.com/mobile/fcc-tells-veri ... for-1-25m/

Verizon customers will soon have the option of downloading Android apps that let them turn their phone into a mobile hotspot –apps that Verizon blocked initially because it didn’t want customers circumventing its $20 a month mobile hot spot fee. The FCC has determined that nation’s largest wireless carrier was in the wrong in this situation because it had purchased spectrum back in 2008 that required Verizon to allow open access to its network.

Thus Verizon has settled with the FCC and is offering a $1.25 million payment to the U.S. Treasury as a result of the FCC’s consent decree on this issue. The FCC also is saying that Verizon cannot charge customers on tiered data plans the $20 a month tethering fee, but it can charge it for those customers who are on an unlimited data plan. However, Verizon will not actually have a way to determine if customers are using one of these apps, so presumably any Android customer can download one of those apps and tether to their heart’s content.

Unfortunately for customers of AT&T, Sprint and T-Mobile, which also charge fees on some plans to use the handset as a hotspot, the FCC’s consent decree was based on Verizon’s purchase of 700 MHz spectrum that came with a mandate that Verizon let other devices and applications run on that spectrum. So Verizon now has to notify Google that customers of Verizon Wireless can now access tethering apps such as Wireless Tether or PDANet, which has 6 million downloads.
Shoot, Move, and Communicate...

Spoiler:

I'm just here for my own amusement,"don't take offense at my innuendo..."

Countless waze, we pass the daze...

A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.
Nebula1
RealGM

Post#55 » by Nebula1 » Wed Aug 1, 2012 1:01 am

I may have to break down and purchase a television. Bitches want something to watch.

I still intend to run everything thorugh the computer.
Ill-yasova
RealGM
And1: 2,552

Post#56 » by Ill-yasova » Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:48 am

Just moved so I'm resurrecting this thread. DirecTV doesn't get a good signal where I live so I just wanted to explore some other options. I'm looking at just streaming my viewing options, but between premium channels (GOT, Homeland, etc.) and NBA, MLB, and NFL it looks like I'd still be paying quite a bit. Plus I need my AMC shows so I'm not sure how that would work. Watching shows on the laptop is not really an option since the wife and I don't really want to share a laptop to watch a show.

If anyone could give me a quick overview of what the costs and options would be I would really appreciate it.
MilTownBucks
Junior
And1: 49

Post#57 » by MilTownBucks » Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:21 am

Well since he brought this thread back, whats the easiest way to watch the Bucks if I dont have cable

I have league pass and have tried switching the IP address to one from Russia (I think?) on my computer before but I dont think I did it right. I can usually figure things out after awhile when it comes to phones/computers, I just dont know all the technical terms for everything.

Please, I need to watch my team. Last game I saw was against the Nets in Brooklyn.

Only have DSL through ATT. They havent expanded U-Verse to my area yet "reason pending".

Nothing can ever be perfect can it?
Jez2983
RealGM
And1: 7,853

Post#58 » by Jez2983 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:46 am

midranger wrote:I feel like I'm about 5 years too old to do anything like this.

Hell, I have an iPhone (3, I guess) and I use it for.... phone calls (which I find it sucks for).

I wish I had a buddy who could get me into this decade, but we're all 30 somethings now.

:lol: I understand! If it's not the ridiculous work hours (in your case) it's the having of children (my case)

Where I live though people only really care about 2 main sports, no-one likes basketball and no-one seems to know you can actually stream stuff via the net!!!
trwi7 wrote:Will be practicing my best Australian accent for tomorrow.

"Hey ya wankers. I graduated from Aranmore back in 2010 and lost me yearbook. Is there any way you didgeridoos can send anotha yearbook me way?"
gbmb34
Pro Prospect
And1: 74

Post#59 » by gbmb34 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:36 am

Nebula1 wrote:I may have to break down and purchase a television. Bitches want something to watch.

I still intend to run everything thorugh the computer.

Get a projector instead of a TV
packerbreakdown.wordpress.com
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,654

Post#60 » by ReasonablySober » Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:47 am

If you guys want to stay legal you can get a season pass for your shows on Amazon or iTunes.

If you want a great antenna to pick up the networks, the Mohu Leaf is outstanding.

To spoof your IP, get a VPN. I use HideIPVPN and get the most expensive package which is like $12 a month or something. But I torrent through an IP in the Netherlands and use a different IP in New York to watch sports. If you don't want to torrent you could get a domestic IP for something like $5 I think.

That goes hand in hand with ordering a sports package. I don't order the NFL Sunday Ticket because most games are available over the air. I got the five game NBA package and it works great. The caveat is I watch games on my computer with the spoofed IP. In the future I may buy a router and pass the VPN through that, giving my 360, Apple TV and PS3 New York IPs when I need them. Google VPN routers for more info. Chances are you already have one. You would have to flash the software and it seems complicated but there are plenty of tuts to help you.

HBO is the only hiccup. If you want to watch Game of Thrones, you're gonna have to torrent it or watch it on something like TV links.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks