Discussing Other Teams' Moves Part 2 

Post#1 » by nate33 » Wed Jul 4, 2012 1:14 pm

Picking up where we left off. The old thread is here
pancakes3
General Manager
And1: 2,603

Re: Discussing Other Teams' Moves Part 2 

Post#2 » by pancakes3 » Wed Jul 4, 2012 3:39 pm

Reportedly Hibbert, Gordon, and Batum all want to play for the teams that offered them new contracts. Seems like they're still mad about their current team low-balling them.

one of those players isn't quite like the others.

also, we're pursuing courtney lee. between ariza, okafor, these moves would have made the board pretty happy 3 years ago.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,069

Post#3 » by nate33 » Wed Jul 4, 2012 3:47 pm

pancakes3 wrote:
Reportedly Hibbert, Gordon, and Batum all want to play for the teams that offered them new contracts. Seems like they're still mad about their current team low-balling them.

one of those players isn't quite like the others.

also, we're pursuing courtney lee. between ariza, okafor, these moves would have made the board pretty happy 3 years ago.

?

That just went over my head. I'm not sure what your point is.
pancakes3
General Manager

Post#4 » by pancakes3 » Wed Jul 4, 2012 4:05 pm

in 2009 i would have been pretty happy to acquire courtney lee, ariza, and okafor. now, not-so-much.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,069

Post#5 » by nate33 » Wed Jul 4, 2012 4:08 pm

pancakes3 wrote:in 2009 i would have been pretty happy to acquire courtney lee, ariza, and okafor. now, not-so-much.

Ah. Yes, that's a good point.

Arenas
Lee/Ariza
Butler/Ariza
Jamison/Okafor
Haywood/Okafor
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,506

Post#6 » by closg00 » Wed Jul 4, 2012 5:25 pm

Dave (Salt Lake)

How does Billy King still have a job? Seriously, how can he defend trading the 6th pick for Gerald Wallace, who they could have gotten anyways in free agency?
Chad Ford
(1:36 PM)

Not only that. Because they traded for him, they were forced to do anything to re-sign him. Wallace's agent had them trapped in a corner. I couldn't find one team over the past week interested in Wallace for 3 years, $24 million let alone 4 years, $40 million. The Joe Johnson -- give away all of our remaining assets for one of the 3 worst contracts in the NBA debacle -- will be the icing on the cake. Enjoy your 42-40 Nets everyone!

I will cease wondering how Ernie Grunfeld still has a job. Stunning.
hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Post#7 » by hands11 » Wed Jul 4, 2012 5:52 pm

So Eric Gordon is getting a max contract offer 4 yr 58M from PHX

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/81286 ... alary-deal

Looks like NO might end up with one more tank year to get another high pick to go with Davis and Rivers. That would be good for them longer term.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/blog/eye-o ... r-team-usa

Still not counting on a great year from the kid. He will more likely pay his dues getting injured and pushed around while he fills out and learns.

Nets back in the playoff picture.
http://espn.go.com/new-york/nba/story/_ ... -mavericks

More a Boston/Miami model vs OKC ...

Chicago will be hard to gauge this year with Rose out. Somehow Tibs seems to just plug in players and make it work but at some point, you have to think they take a hit in their record.

For the WIz, if they really want to have a better chance at turning the corner from tank/rebuild to building to make and win playoff games, they have to upgrade Mack. You can't wait on players like Mack anymore if you want to win now. Not with the other rosters in the conference.

When you look over the roster, there are not a lot of sure thing stars. I think Nene a very solid one and could continue where he left off last year. Since this team rebuilt via mostly the draft, there are lots of questions still. I understand why some don't see them as legitimately turning the corner.

But if Wall has a break out year in year 3, I think that dramatically changes how the team looks. Now all the sudden you have a stud PG and Nene with a solid supporting cast and a rookie SG who could also light it up and rebound. I think they have the pieces, they just don't have the proven pieces. But if Wall and Beal are the real deal, then everything else starts to fall in line regarding the supporting cast.

Wall, Beal, Nene, Okafor, Kevin vs D Williams, Joe Johnson, G Wallace and Brook Lopez.

One has more experience and it is a lot more expensive but I can see how the Wizards could get there if Wall busts out and Beal is solid. A lot will depend on Wall for this team. He has to become a legit freak this year. But that is what we expected from him as the #1.

The Wiz could be in the mix for the final slot. We will just have to see how the other team rosters shake out. If Hibbert leaves Indi, that will hurt.

Right now I only see a these team as legit playoff team. Miami, Nets, Boston

New York and Indy have question mark with resigning players. No Hibbert in Indy will be tough. NY has some solid post pieces but not sure they have a complete team. Phily could lose several pieces so not counting them in.
miller31time
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,125

Post#8 » by miller31time » Wed Jul 4, 2012 5:54 pm

This Gordon situation is pretty interesting.

On one hand, Gordon is giving public statements saying that Phoenix is where he wants to be and that he'll be very happy there. But on the other hand, New Orleans (or so I thought) is expected to match any offer for him.

Either he absolutely hates New Orleans or doesn't understand that the Hornets can match the offer sheet by Phoenix.
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,701

Post#9 » by montestewart » Wed Jul 4, 2012 6:47 pm

miller31time wrote:This Gordon situation is pretty interesting.

On one hand, Gordon is giving public statements saying that Phoenix is where he wants to be and that he'll be very happy there. But on the other hand, New Orleans (or so I thought) is expected to match any offer for him.

Either he absolutely hates New Orleans or doesn't understand that the Hornets can match the offer sheet by Phoenix.

If he really wants out of New Orleans, making that clear can force a team's hand if they are on the line. I remember Effires did that when the Knicks signed him. Any others that you can recall? Might be some negotiations going on between the two teams. What's Phoenix have to offer?
hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Post#10 » by hands11 » Wed Jul 4, 2012 7:04 pm

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/22 ... Steve_Nash

Nash to NY. What could be an interesting team.

But for a three-year deal worth between $27 million and $30 million. ?

Read more: http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/22 ... z1zgKiiWD2

Nash is a freak at 38 and still balln like his does. Hard to say a guy like that isn't worth it but it does seem a bit expensive for three years at his age. We will see.
pancakes3
General Manager

Post#11 » by pancakes3 » Wed Jul 4, 2012 9:15 pm

If Nash does go to NY, AND they retain Lin, AND Shumpert comes back from injury without losing any tenacity... it'll be awfully hard for me to not like them.

How 'bout you, Fish?
Bullets -> Wizards
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 780

Post#12 » by LyricalRico » Wed Jul 4, 2012 9:38 pm

^ It would seem the Shumpert would be part of the S&T for Nash, along with Douglas and Gadzuric. Assuming they re-up Smith and Lin, NY would have:

Chandler/Harrellson
Amare/FA
Melo/FA
Smith/FA
Nash/Lin

Would they still have the full MLE to fill out their bench? Or would they have to use that on Smith since he's an Early Bird FA? Even if not, with the contracts for role players that have gone around, the MLE may not go far.
sashae
Bench Warmer
And1: 94

Post#13 » by sashae » Thu Jul 5, 2012 12:53 am

ernie grunfeld: the perpetual dumpster fire of general management
sfam
Assistant Coach
And1: 548

Post#14 » by sfam » Thu Jul 5, 2012 1:12 am

closg00 wrote:
Dave (Salt Lake)

How does Billy King still have a job? Seriously, how can he defend trading the 6th pick for Gerald Wallace, who they could have gotten anyways in free agency?
Chad Ford
(1:36 PM)

Not only that. Because they traded for him, they were forced to do anything to re-sign him. Wallace's agent had them trapped in a corner. I couldn't find one team over the past week interested in Wallace for 3 years, $24 million let alone 4 years, $40 million. The Joe Johnson -- give away all of our remaining assets for one of the 3 worst contracts in the NBA debacle -- will be the icing on the cake. Enjoy your 42-40 Nets everyone!

I will cease wondering how Ernie Grunfeld still has a job. Stunning.

Perhaps the reasoning is that Prokhorov has more money than God at this point, and could care less if he pays an additional 45M in luxury tax. He wants a team that can contend, and is worried about losing face after claiming he will be able to buy a championship in 5 years or so. I fully expect them to do everything possible to max out the roster costs year after year.

Basically, Prokhorov comes across as a Dan Snyder, but with real money.
sfam
Assistant Coach

Post#15 » by sfam » Thu Jul 5, 2012 1:19 am

sashae wrote:So much for that! Steve Nash to the Lakers in sign and trade.

That totally makes sense for both Nash and the Lakers. The Lakers have a coach who's not great at offensive thinking, so here comes one of the best PGs who can solve that problem. Will be interesting to see what they get for Gasol now.
JWizmentality
RealGM
And1: 5,093

Post#16 » by JWizmentality » Thu Jul 5, 2012 1:19 am

Just hand L.A the championship. Well, at least it aint the Heat.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 780

Post#17 » by LyricalRico » Thu Jul 5, 2012 1:24 am

sfam wrote:

That totally makes sense for both Nash and the Lakers. The Lakers have a coach who's not great at offensive thinking, so here comes one of the best PGs who can solve that problem. Will be interesting to see what they get for Gasol now.

Maybe they keep Gasol now. A talented big man with a high BBIQ, great hands, and a range jumper is made for running the pick/roll with Nash. Gasol could have a near career year on offense.
sfam
Assistant Coach

Post#18 » by sfam » Thu Jul 5, 2012 1:26 am

LyricalRico wrote:
sfam wrote:

Maybe they keep Gasol now. A talented big man with a high BBIQ, great hands, and a range jumper is made for running the pick/roll with Nash. Gasol could have a near career year on offense.

I agree this probably makes sense to keep Gasol, but after dangling him out like they have for the last two offseasons, do you think Gasol really wants to be there any more? They may have a poisonous relationship at this point.
JWizmentality
RealGM
And1: 5,093

Post#19 » by JWizmentality » Thu Jul 5, 2012 1:29 am

If they get Howard too, forget it. Would be a helluva team to watch though. Far more than the fraud Heat.
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,506

Post#20 » by closg00 » Thu Jul 5, 2012 1:59 am

The Lakers get Nash via sign and trade, sorry Toronto.

Return to Washington Wizards