Damian Lillard: a star in the making?

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

ssfan4life
Sophomore
And1: 2

Damian Lillard: a star in the making? 

Post#1 » by ssfan4life » Tue Jul 3, 2012 8:38 am

Really think this kids future is super bright. He has the tools and mental make up to become a star in the NBA. Really would like to know what other people think. I would have made a poll, but I don't know how.

Also this has got to be one of the most impressive basketball workout video I've ever seen (haven't seen many).http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=heP3LWn8-KQ Really nice shot!
Big Jaffa
Senior
And1: 138

Re: Damian Lillard: a star in the making? 

Post#2 » by Big Jaffa » Tue Jul 3, 2012 9:23 am

Way too early to tell, his shot goes in but his release is very low. His combine stats may be akin to Rose but from the video's I've seen he hasn't got the 0 to 60, perimeter to rim acceleration that Westbrook and Rose posess. Throw in his inexperience with high level competition and well expect some teething problems.

I hope he does work it out as my team drafted him but it could go either way.
Rip City
GreenRiddler
General Manager
And1: 1,423

Post#3 » by GreenRiddler » Tue Jul 3, 2012 1:09 pm

Big Jaffa wrote:Way too early to tell, his shot goes in but his release is very low. His combine stats may be akin to Rose but from the video's I've seen he hasn't got the 0 to 60, perimeter to rim acceleration that Westbrook and Rose posess. Throw in his inexperience with high level competition and well expect some teething problems.

I hope he does work it out as my team drafted him but it could go either way.

Yea but your forgetting that he is the best PnR Guard to come out in recent memory.
mrmsix6
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,591

Post#4 » by mrmsix6 » Tue Jul 3, 2012 1:15 pm

GreenRiddler wrote:
Big Jaffa wrote:

Yea but your forgetting that he is the best PnR Guard to come out in recent memory.

since...Kyrie Irving?
GreenRiddler
General Manager
And1: 1,423

Post#5 » by GreenRiddler » Tue Jul 3, 2012 1:33 pm

mrmsix6 wrote:
GreenRiddler wrote:
Big Jaffa wrote:

since...Kyrie Irving?

I don't know about Irving but during the draft they were showing him in PnR's he was like

91.4% in PnR when creating his own offense compared to Stephen curry 46%
72% when passing out the PnR compared to Stephen curry 31%
96% when Shooting off the PnR compared to Eric Gordon 30-35%

It's all here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXe1pwzOi7E&list=UUrHG7i-sOUMYLfEvoS3CGog&index=1&feature=plcp
Big Jaffa
Senior
And1: 138

Post#6 » by Big Jaffa » Tue Jul 3, 2012 2:38 pm

Thing about those stats is it was in a conference with an awful lot of smaller/slower players so you gotta take it with a grain of salt. I really do hope he comes through of course.
Rip City
Barnsey
Junior
And1: 88

Post#7 » by Barnsey » Tue Jul 3, 2012 3:05 pm

Big Jaffa wrote:Thing about those stats is it was in a conference with an awful lot of smaller/slower players so you gotta take it with a grain of salt. I really do hope he comes through of course.

Pretty sure Stephen Curry played for a small college too though didn't he?
Twitter: @Barnsketball
mattg
General Manager
And1: 2,985

Post#8 » by mattg » Tue Jul 3, 2012 11:03 pm

Curry played off ball most of the time in college so it's a dumb stat to use to try and make lillard look better.

I don't see lillard as a star at all, more like a more athletic mo Williams.
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,184

Post#9 » by babyjax13 » Wed Jul 4, 2012 12:08 am

Portland State's craptastic guard rotation probably accounted for 30% of his production. The Big Sky is severely underrated as a conference, but in that same breath, Lillard was far from dominating against the best teams (Idaho State, Montana, Montana State). Not to say he wasn't good, but he only really ever took over in one game against those teams (Montana) and I believe Weber State lost anyway. Take out that one game and his averages dip to be almost identical with Kenny McGowen after Idaho State's new coaching staff took over (which has since been replaced again; if anyone cares). And if anyone wonders why that matters - it's because no one knows Kenny McGowen unless they're a fan of a Big Sky team - and even then it's doubtful.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
MrBigShot
RealGM
And1: 16,945

Post#10 » by MrBigShot » Wed Jul 4, 2012 2:12 am

Definitely a great talent. He has a chance to become a 1st tier point guard along with Rose, Rondo, CP3, Westbrook and DWill...I think he will be 2nd tier, equal to guys like Ty Lawson and Jrue Holiday from the get go.
"They say you miss 100% of the shots you take" - Mike James
reapaman
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,220

Post#11 » by reapaman » Thu Jul 5, 2012 2:56 pm

I think he is Jerryd Bayless 2.0. Very similar in college stats, playing style, physical tools, height, weight, ect .... Once you adjust for competition and all that stuff, they are about the same so I expect the same kinda career for Damian Lillard.

He may have more success with the blazers than Bayless did since he's likely to get the starting spot from day one and theres no brandon roy on the team but I don't expect him to live up to anywhere near where he was picked at.
UnderdogKnicks
Starter
And1: 40

Post#12 » by UnderdogKnicks » Thu Jul 5, 2012 3:45 pm

MrBigShot wrote:Definitely a great talent. He has a chance to become a 1st tier point guard along with Rose, Rondo, CP3, Westbrook and DWill...I think he will be 2nd tier, equal to guys like Ty Lawson and Jrue Holiday from the get go.

:lol: U really think he is going to be 1st tier of PGS? He is very average he'll be a good starting PG, u guys are overrating draft players again and this happens every year.
Classics :

Knicks, Giants, Yankees, Rangers
DeBlazerRiddem
Forum Mod - Blazers
Forum Mod - Blazers
And1: 6,151

Post#13 » by DeBlazerRiddem » Thu Jul 5, 2012 6:24 pm

UnderdogKnicks wrote:
MrBigShot wrote:Definitely a great talent. He has a chance to become a 1st tier point guard along with Rose, Rondo, CP3, Westbrook and DWill...I think he will be 2nd tier, equal to guys like Ty Lawson and Jrue Holiday from the get go.

:lol: U really think he is going to be 1st tier of PGS? He is very average he'll be a good starting PG, u guys are overrating draft players again and this happens every year.

Who are you referring to when you say "you guys"? I don't see MrBigShot around the Blazer forums, so this just sounds like another pointless attack on a fanbase. It is people like you who spread misinformation and sow discord on these forums.

Blazer fans have very varying opinions of Lillard. I myself am not the biggest fan - I think he has a ton of question marks will probably be best suited as a 6th-man Lou Williams type. Others think he will be about as good as Jrue Holiday or Lawson. A small minority think he has a shot at greatness.

When you take pot-shots at an entire fan-base though, it is hard to take you seriously. You don't argue about reality, you are arguing over your own perception of reality - a reality where all Blazer fans are a conglomerated mass with a hive mind.

I really wish one of the rules of RealGM is that attacks on entire fan-bases will not be allowed. There is nothing positive to be gained from allowing that sort of behavior.
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,485

Post#14 » by HornetJail » Thu Jul 5, 2012 7:16 pm

^ That definitely was not an "attack".

I see him as a rick man's Lou Williams. Best suited as a ridiculously good 6th man.
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
DeBlazerRiddem
Forum Mod - Blazers
Forum Mod - Blazers
And1: 6,151

Post#15 » by DeBlazerRiddem » Thu Jul 5, 2012 7:34 pm

CHA_77_Bobcats wrote:^ That definitely was not an "attack".

I am sorry for being defensive, but it definitely appears that way to me.

I have heard a countless number of times that "All Portland Blazer fans overvalue their draft picks", and it gets repeated as gospel again and again.

First of all, making generalizations about fan-bases is bad. It does not contribute to any sort of discussion and just causes tension and discord.

Secondly, it is not a crime to overvalue draft picks and plenty of other fanbases do the same thing. If someone wants to express their individual opinion they should be free to do so without others insulting them or insinuating that they are part of a systemic problem. An INDIVIDUAL is making those claims, not a fan-base.

Third, it is patently untrue, especially in this case where I don't think Lillard is anything all that special.

He is spreading falsehoods in a manner that is meant to be harmful to discussion. Again I am sorry to make this an issue, but I have been dealing with an especially high amount of this crap recently.
EddieJonesFan
Starter
And1: 438

Post#16 » by EddieJonesFan » Thu Jul 5, 2012 8:23 pm

Jeff Teague
phx#7
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,316

Post#17 » by phx#7 » Fri Jul 6, 2012 12:53 am

I was hoping he'd fall to the Suns. Really reminded me of a less athletic Kevin Johnson with more range when I saw him play.
UnderdogKnicks
Starter
And1: 40

Post#18 » by UnderdogKnicks » Fri Jul 6, 2012 1:02 am

Wow DeBlazerRiddem u must be very emo how do u figure "u guys" means "Portland Trailblazer fans." It makes no sense it obviously means RealGM members of course Mr Big Shot is not a Blazers fan he has a Bulls avatar, u're just spilling out a ton of crap, do u just want attention? So I guess u think every time some1 says "u guys" it means "Portland Trailblazer fans" because u are a Trailblazer fan and u're special and everything has to be about the Blazers. By the way I'm just messing with u but u fuked up.
Classics :

Knicks, Giants, Yankees, Rangers
DerrickRose23
Junior
And1: 3

Post#19 » by DerrickRose23 » Fri Jul 6, 2012 3:09 am

Damian Lillard will be an all star - book it
AnSweR07
Banned User
And1: 3

Post#20 » by AnSweR07 » Fri Jul 6, 2012 3:21 am

CHA_77_Bobcats wrote:^ That definitely was not an "attack".

I see him as a rick man's Lou Williams. Best suited as a ridiculously good 6th man.

You're crazy. Lou Will is a 20+ppg scorer in this league given starter minutes with solid playmaking skills. Lillard isn't as talented nor as athletic as Lou. Lillard has a great work ethic and chip on shoulder mentality to help him suceed in this league ill give him that.

Return to NBA Draft