Moderators: VCfor3, SD2042

SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 2,413

Grizzlies Sign Jerryd Bayless 

Post#1 » by SD2042 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:50 am

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/81556 ... agree-deal

Looks like the prayers of Grizz Nation have been answered. Jerryd Bayless looks to be the answer Chris Wallace wanted. Hopefully JB will fit the role well ad make the Grizz more formitable on offense.
mowcrowbar
General Manager
And1: 4,171

Re: Grizzlies Sign Jerryd Bayless 

Post#2 » by mowcrowbar » Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:48 am

Congrats on picking up a great player.
aaa
Junior
And1: 44

Post#3 » by aaa » Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:38 am

how many minutes does he get?
Downtown
Head Coach
And1: 577

Post#4 » by Downtown » Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:51 am

Solid signing. Being from Canada I watched alot of Raptors games last season and Bayless, although being a bit streaky, really gave Toronto a boost off the bench in games. He showed that he is maturing and finding out what works although at times he was a little out of control.

I think he is going to be a significant contributor to replace Mayo, and with better pointguard abilities.
jumivi
Senior
And1: 41

Post#5 » by jumivi » Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:52 pm

good sign! combo guard.... check!, now we need a shooter.
StMikes31
Banned User
And1: 591

Post#6 » by StMikes31 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:51 pm

not good but GREAT signing guys.

Bayless is so underrated it's not even funny. He can shoot the 3 consistently(contested), get to hoop and cause contact since he's pretty big, and plays great D for a PG.

Only thing he needs to improve on is running a team, he's more of a combo guard and looks for his own shot first. I kep't saying he has to be in a Jason Terry role and he will thrive.

Hopefully you guys use him better then we did. Congrats
GrizzledGrizzFan
Lead Assistant
And1: 161

Post#7 » by GrizzledGrizzFan » Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:51 pm

aaa wrote:how many minutes does he get?

If everything falls into place (ie, he and Hollins hit it off okay) I'd guesstimate 24-28 minutes a game - filling in a backup PG and OJ's role.
Morse Code
Head Coach
And1: 8,431

Post#8 » by Morse Code » Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:00 pm

Great signing indeed. Bayless kind of found himself last season when given the opportunity to start and also play major minutes off the bench. He always had trouble coming off the bench but his role was supposed to be a back up PG, not a 6th man scorer. Raps relied on him to run the team too much, when he was always better suited as a scorer.

Last season he started learning the game at a faster pace, and becoming more consistent with his shooting, as well as decision making. The only way you guys will have trouble with Bayless is if he gets caught up in winning the starting PG position. That usually leads him to making dumb decisions with the ball, and at times hurt the flow of the offense.

Strengths:
Getting into the lane for floaters or fouls
toughness on both ends
intensity and loyalty (quality guy)
good athlete (not great, but good)
can outplay just about anybody on any given night if he gets hot and has that intensity

Weaknesses:
Can get carried away going 1 v 1
Tunnel vision getting to the rim and ignoring the open man in the corner, etc.
Running the offense (calling the right plays and actually passing the ball)

edit: added weakness is also finishing at the rim. sometimes because of his lack of soft touch, and other times because he's just not quite athletic enough to take contact and still score. He's always close, but rarely finishes.

He seems to be reluctant to pass the ball unless the guy he's passing to will have an open shot or lay up. It's like he has a lack of trust in Derozan's (just an example) ability to create something, after he catches the pass at the top of the key, coming off a screen. He will look to Derozan, or whoever it is, and if they don't have that clear advantage over their defender, bayless will look away and try to square his man up.

To me it's all about what role you put him in and how well he accepts that role. If used properly he can be just about as good a 6th man as any. Possibly a better starting PG than some if given the reigns, and placed among the right pieces.

Anyways, I dunno how much you guys already know about him, and this might not be so useful to some of you, but from a Raps fan, that's what I've seen in him over the last few years. Hope it helps understand him as a player, and good luck!
vanjulio
Sixth Man
And1: 60

Post#9 » by vanjulio » Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:16 pm

perfect fit and much preferable to Randy Foye, Meeks, Heinrich, Brooks, Sessions, JR Smith, Brandon Rush, Shannon Brown, Shved, etc
Kabookalu
RealGM
And1: 70,114

Post#10 » by Kabookalu » Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:44 am

Bayless is my favorite player and my advice to the Grizzlies is that don't use him as a scorer off the bench. He's lousy when he has to play off the ball. He started 6 games as the shooting guard and was erratic. He came off the bench the majority of the season halfing off ball duties with Barbosa and was erratic. Give him the ball and he's an awesome PG.
Read on Twitter
StartingBench
Rookie
And1: 361

Post#11 » by StartingBench » Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:46 pm

I hate you guys. But realize the hate is only because of jealousy. He's still pretty rough, but once he calms down and gets into his game, he's a borderline all-star. Great value for what you guys signed him up for.
vanjulio
Sixth Man

Post#12 » by vanjulio » Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:47 pm

DJ Augustine getting a similar deal from Indy. Minny paying same $$ for undrafted Alexy Shved. Who knows if he ever plays a game or worth a damn in the NBA? Certainly a 3 yr experience lottery pick is higher value. We outfoxed all of them!
==========================
Memphis Grizzlies Never Die
Compton_Killa10
Junior
And1: 7

Post#13 » by Compton_Killa10 » Sun Jul 15, 2012 1:00 pm

Why did Memphis do this? Your front office should have more faith in Wroten and Selby there going to be really good.
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 2,413

Post#14 » by SD2042 » Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:47 pm

B/c the Grizz obviously needed a season vet shooter. The Grizz aren't expecting Wroten and Selby to up and play off the bat. Especially with Lionel know for not playing rookies too frequently.
vanjulio
Sixth Man

Post#15 » by vanjulio » Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:55 pm

Selby and Wroten have to learn the NBA game and the Grizzlies offense. Bayless has 4 years experience and has learned it and knows where he stands. He isn't out to prove he is going to be an Allstar this year. He's got his role and in concentrating on just doing what he needs to do to help the Grizzlies win as a 6th man. Selby and Wroten could turn out to be stars but they're both "one and done's" and under 20 years old. Furthermore, Bayless is proven point guard and neither Wroten nor Selby is a traditional point guard. I expect them to contribute this season though minimally. Don't be surprised to see one of them in the DLeague at some point, ideally one of them steps into the rotation and earns their share of bench minutes. Let's hope so!

Memphis was the #6 best team in the NBA last year. Rookies don't get much time on teams like that unless they're Tim Duncan or Derrick Rose.
==========================
Memphis Grizzlies Never Die
m1kenoff
Bench Warmer
And1: 482

Post#16 » by m1kenoff » Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:11 am

He is made of glass but he is a really high character guy. Great shooter too.
aaa
Junior

Post#17 » by aaa » Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:41 am

vanjulio wrote: He isn't out to prove he is going to be an Allstar this year. He's got his role and in concentrating on just doing what he needs to do to help the Grizzlies win as a 6th man.

Wow man you're talking out your butt right now. If you knew anything about Bayless, this comment would be just as ludicrous to you as it is to me. He's not happy as a bench player, and he's ABSOLUTELY out to prove that he's an all-star. That's just his nature, and it always has been since his high school days. He hates coming off the bench because his mentality is that he can play with and against anyone in the league.

And that's not a knock on Bayless, its a compliment.
vanjulio
Sixth Man

Post#18 » by vanjulio » Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:02 pm

aaa wrote:
vanjulio wrote: He isn't out to prove he is going to be an Allstar this year. He's got his role and in concentrating on just doing what he needs to do to help the Grizzlies win as a 6th man.

Wow man you're talking out your butt right now. If you knew anything about Bayless, this comment would be just as ludicrous to you as it is to me. He's not happy as a bench player, and he's ABSOLUTELY out to prove that he's an all-star. That's just his nature, and it always has been since his high school days. He hates coming off the bench because his mentality is that he can play with and against anyone in the league.

if you're right he won't see a minute of playing time because Hollins will bench anyone with that attitude and never think another minute of it.

Mike Conley is the god of point guards on this team. If Steve Nash was on the team he'd be the backup. Bayless would never have been brought on to vie for the starting role. why do you think we've gotten rid of so many talented backup PGs over the years?? Hollins will bench anyone and everyone and he doesn't cater to egos for a second. Bayless will be bought out or shipped over if he comes in trying to run his own show. He'll be out of a job before training camp is over.
aaa
Junior

Post#19 » by aaa » Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:15 pm

vanjulio wrote:
aaa wrote:

if you're right he won't see a minute of playing time because Hollins will bench anyone with that attitude and never think another minute of it.

Mike Conley is the god of point guards on this team. If Steve Nash was on the team he'd be the backup. Bayless would never have been brought on to vie for the starting role. why do you think we've gotten rid of so many talented backup PGs over the years?? Hollins will bench anyone and everyone and he doesn't cater to egos for a second. Bayless will be bought out or shipped over if he comes in trying to run his own show. He'll be out of a job before training camp is over.

For JBays sake, I hope he starts to embrace the reserve role, because I can totally see what you said coming to fruition.
vanjulio
Sixth Man

Post#20 » by vanjulio » Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:43 pm

aaa wrote:For JBays sake, I hope he starts to embrace the reserve role, because I can totally see what you said coming to fruition.

I think about this and it's good for him to have the mentality of going higher. Who is to say he can't push Tony Allen for starting at the 2 this year? If it makes the team better then I'm all for it. There is a difference between being competitive, striving to perform at an Allstar level, and being an Allen Iverson, performing your way at the expense of everything else the team and coaches are trying to accomplish as a unit. As long as Bayless can perform at the highest level within those parameters he should be successful. If it results in his stock rising and becoming a starter here or elsewhere then it's all good for everyone.

Return to Memphis Grizzlies