How much can a player like pekovic be paid?

black bart
Rookie
And1: 40

How much can a player like pekovic be paid? 

Post#1 » by black bart » Wed Aug 1, 2012 8:18 pm

I am wondering about this. What is the max amount of money he could get paid?

1) He never played on a rookie contract
2) 3 years in the league

Does that make his max at 9 million (gilbert arenas rule) or rookie max?
Edit: It is rookie max. So at 13 million
Three34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 123

Re: How much can a player like pekovic be paid? 

Post#2 » by Three34 » Wed Aug 1, 2012 9:44 pm

Max for a third year player is 25% of the cap (well, a slightly altered calculation of it). This year, that amount was $13,668,750. Arenas rule doesn't apply to anyone with more than two years experience.
d-train
RealGM
And1: 1,098

Post#3 » by d-train » Mon Aug 6, 2012 10:54 pm

Yeah, so if the Blazers want to (and they have cap space) they can offer Pek the same deal they offered to Hibbert. Or, the Blazers can make the offer to Pek without having cap space if there are moves they can make that will give them the cap space. And, since Pek will be an UFA, the Blazers can show the Wolves how to bend over a rival team with a S&T without the courtesy of a reach around.
Dunkenstein
Starter
And1: 13

Post#4 » by Dunkenstein » Mon Aug 6, 2012 11:45 pm

d-train wrote:Yeah, so if the Blazers want to (and they have cap space) they can offer Pek the same deal they offered to Hibbert. Or, the Blazers can make the offer to Pek without having cap space if there are moves they can make that will give them the cap space. And, since Pek will be an UFA, the Blazers can show the Wolves how to bend over a rival team with a S&T without the courtesy of a reach around.

Next summer, as a player with three years of service, not only will Pekovic still be a RFA, but the Wolves will have full full Bird rights on him.
d-train
RealGM

Post#5 » by d-train » Tue Aug 7, 2012 6:26 am

Dunkenstein wrote:Next summer, as a player with three years of service, not only will Pekovic still be a RFA, but the Wolves will have full full Bird rights on him.

You are correct.
Three34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#6 » by Three34 » Tue Aug 7, 2012 10:46 pm

Heh.
Dunkenstein
Starter

Post#7 » by Dunkenstein » Wed Aug 8, 2012 5:19 pm

Sham wrote:Heh.

You took the words right out of my mouth.
DBoys
Starter
And1: 220

Post#8 » by DBoys » Wed Aug 8, 2012 8:50 pm

So does any of this ( V ) ...

d-train wrote:.... the Blazers can make the offer to Pek without having cap space ...

...or this ( V ) ...

d-train wrote:... And, since Pek will be an UFA, the Blazers can show the Wolves how to bend over a rival team with a S&T without the courtesy of a reach around.

...make any sense?
Dunkenstein
Starter

Post#9 » by Dunkenstein » Wed Aug 8, 2012 9:50 pm

DBoys, you're a little late to the discussion. I explained to d-train the errors of his thinking and he's already accepted that.
DBoys
Starter

Post#10 » by DBoys » Thu Aug 9, 2012 3:22 am

Dunkenstein wrote:DBoys, you're a little late to the discussion. I explained to d-train the errors of his thinking and he's already accepted that.

Ah. Cool.
d-train
RealGM

Post#11 » by d-train » Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:55 am

DBoys wrote:So does any of this ( V ) ...

d-train wrote:.... the Blazers can make the offer to Pek without having cap space ...

...or this ( V ) ...

d-train wrote:... And, since Pek will be an UFA, the Blazers can show the Wolves how to bend over a rival team with a S&T without the courtesy of a reach around.

...make any sense?

The first part was ok if you would have quoted the whole statement but the second part was a big brain fart.

On the second part, a day or so before that post in the Wolves forum I told a Wolves fan who thought Pek's 2013 cap hold was the amount of his QO that his cap hold was over $9M unless the Wolves planned to let him become an UFA. Somehow, two days later I completely lost track of his contract status when I wrote that post.

The first part is between Blazers fans and Wolves fans. The Wolves had a verbal agreement with Batum to make an offer they didn't have cap space to make. And, they wanted the Blazers to negotiate a S&T before the Wolves actually had cap space. Wolves fans didn't understand why the Blazers would respond by saying let’s see the cap space first. Obviously, the Wolves could create the cap space but it was also obvious it would cost them assets to do it. So, the Blazers said pay to play.
Three34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#12 » by Three34 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:43 am

Good talk.
HurricaneKid
General Manager
And1: 5,034

Post#13 » by HurricaneKid » Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:52 pm

I was rather astounded that there were no consequences for Minny's tomfoolery last offseason. Such shenannigans cost them a lot of picks in the Joe Smith case.
fishnc wrote:If I had a gun with two bullets and I was in a room with Hitler, Bin Laden, and LeBron, I would shoot LeBron twice.
DBoys
Starter

Post#14 » by DBoys » Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:59 pm

Hurricane Kid,

In the J Smith case, Minny blatantly violated league rules.

In what way are you surmising they violated league rules in the summer of 2012?

Return to CBA & Business