Could '13 draft re-establish centers as focal points in NBA?

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

re49gb_2gho32fp
Banned User
And1: 14

Could '13 draft re-establish centers as focal points in NBA? 

Post#1 » by re49gb_2gho32fp » Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:40 pm

By all accounts, it looks to be not only top-heavy, but stacked with centers, legit - and undersized.

Maybe this is too deep of an inquiry.

However, in assessing the current talent-level (short-term impact) of this years centers likely to enter, as well as their potential (medium/long-term impact) ; could GM's see a shift from smallball and the rebounding/shotblocking stereotype center into approaching centers as #1-#2 options on the horizon?

The reason I'm asking this is that there seems to be a slow, but steady resurgence of solid/good centers in this league (Cousins, Pekovic, Howard, Bynum, Gasols, Hibbert etc). If you couple them with this years draft, will the game allow the shift back to a more traditional role for centers, utilizing them to the fullest?

Next draft might be crucial in that sense. Just pondering about it theoretically say five of the top six picks end up being centers would help creating an image carrying significant implications.

Sirs, Gentlemen - please be introduced to your new potential college basketball addictions;

Steven Adams

Nerlens Noel

Cody Zeller

Isaiah Austin

Jeff Withey

French prospect Rudy Gobert

re49gb_2gho32fp
Banned User

Re: Could '13 draft re-establish centers as focal points in  

Post#2 » by re49gb_2gho32fp » Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:47 pm

in terms of singling them out, I believe Adams is one of those rare once-every-five-year-impact-type-center.
princeofpalace
RealGM
And1: 1,636

Post#3 » by princeofpalace » Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:29 pm

Not a single one of these C's is a special prospect. The 2013 draft is incredibly weak. Most of these guys are all far too slight to be C's in the NBA nor do they have frames to fill out. These prospects are role players and aren't even on the level of Drummond, Leonard as C prospects.
ManualRam
RealGM
And1: 2,748

Post#4 » by ManualRam » Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:39 pm

probably not.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
Johnlac1
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,605

Post#5 » by Johnlac1 » Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:35 am

I haven't seen some of these players, but for one thing, I doubt Zeller will be a center in the pros. Strong forward will probably be his position. Withey is a legitimate center prospect because of his defensivie abilities. His offensive capabilities are severely underdeveloped which makes him something like Tyson Chandler. I understand intensity has also been a problem with Withey. The only other player I've seen is Noel, and he certainly has potential. But he's not A.Davis.
ATTL
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,482

Post#6 » by ATTL » Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:53 am

Noel is no center. He's so very thin and his shoulders are extremely narrow. Austin has a better frame for size.
ManualRam
RealGM

Post#7 » by ManualRam » Sun Aug 12, 2012 2:05 am

Amaretotheline wrote:Noel is no center. He's so very thin and his shoulders are extremely narrow. Austin has a better frame for size.

i think austin has a worse frame than noel.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,200

Post#8 » by babyjax13 » Sun Aug 12, 2012 2:56 am

Jonas Valanciunus (butchered the spelling, I know), Enes Kanter and Anthony Davis would like to point out that the last two drafts haven't been too shabby in the center department.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
Geaux_Hawks
Lead Assistant
And1: 968

Post#9 » by Geaux_Hawks » Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:52 pm

I don't think we will a 90's era type resurgence at the 5, but we probably won't see Bargnani's at center for a while. Steven Adams is a better prospect than Leonard and I loved Leonard as a prospect. I believe he is a legit prospect at center. Nerlens Noel seems like another Dwight. Maybe he can develop a better offensive skill set better than what Howard has shown and become special. Isiah Austin is very Intrigiuing to me. He has amazing length, and a nice versatile, developing offensive game. If he can add about 30-40 pounds and keep his motor going, he could very scary for the future. Won't go to much into Zeller because he is a 4. Whitey is probably a career backup. Gobert has some potential, but I haven't seen much of him.

Two guys to watch are Alex Len and Giorgi Dieng.
ManualRam
RealGM

Post#10 » by ManualRam » Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:40 pm

Geaux_Hawks wrote: Nerlens Noel seems like another Dwight. Maybe he can develop a better offensive skill set better than what Howard has shown and become special.

he has more in common with sam dalembert than he has with dwight.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
Geaux_Hawks
Lead Assistant
And1: 968

Post#11 » by Geaux_Hawks » Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:50 pm

ManualRam wrote:
Geaux_Hawks wrote: Nerlens Noel seems like another Dwight. Maybe he can develop a better offensive skill set better than what Howard has shown and become special.

Well I was looking more of what kind of ceiling he could have. I watched Howard in high school(still upset swac won it all that year) and I see Noel do a lot of the same things. I think the Dally comparison is spot on. What do you think about Adams, Len, and Austin?
EddieJonesFan
Starter
And1: 438

Post#12 » by EddieJonesFan » Sun Aug 12, 2012 5:59 pm

I love Adams, but it's no sure thing he'll even be ready for next year's draft. I wouldn't be surprised if he had a big year, but I also wouldn't be surprised if he's still too raw to get enough playing time at Pitt and raise his stock enough. He's going to be a good one though IMO.
ManualRam
RealGM

Post#13 » by ManualRam » Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:24 pm

Geaux_Hawks wrote:
ManualRam wrote:

Well I was looking more of what kind of ceiling he could have. I watched Howard in high school(still upset swac won it all that year) and I see Noel do a lot of the same things. I think the Dally comparison is spot on. What do you think about Adams, Len, and Austin?

i do like adams and think he's the best long term prospect out of the bunch. he's green, but i like his combination of length, agility and lower body strength. unlike guys like noel and austin, adams already has those anchors that'll help him hold his position. he's just learning, but he has the right mentality to learn. right now he's just playing with energy and keeping things simple. despite his lack of experience he actually shows an ability to think the game with is post passing.

not a fan of either austin or len. i didnt see a whole lot of len last yr, but what i saw didnt impress. he's light, soft, didnt know how to defend without fouling, couldnt establish position in the post and when he did he was a prime candidate to get stripped as he's weak with the ball. he supposedly has some soft touch and decent footwork in the paint, but i didnt get to see much since he was in foul trouble and didnt get enough touches from the terps' selfish perimeter players. he'll have to make some serious strides this yr to be taken in the first IMO, unless some team just drafts him as a raw shot-blocker.

austin is skilled, but i like his build even less than noel's. he has a bit more definition in his arms, but otherwise has made very little progress adding bulk to his poor frame. what i dont like him is that he has really high hips and long, pencil-like legs. he looks like he's in slow motion sometimes when he's changing direction or trying to make any sudden, explosive movement. i just dont see how he'll ever be able develop the lower body strength needed to be a factor in the paint.
re49gb_2gho32fp
Banned User

Post#14 » by re49gb_2gho32fp » Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:04 am

babyjax13 wrote:Jonas Valanciunus (butchered the spelling, I know), Enes Kanter and Anthony Davis would like to point out that the last two drafts haven't been too shabby in the center department.

Absolutely, Kanter not least in this context.
Was looking at the more established C's. But the thinking holds merit and can be coupled with the incoming C's argument.
re49gb_2gho32fp
Banned User

Post#15 » by re49gb_2gho32fp » Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:07 am

princeofpalace wrote:Not a single one of these C's is a special prospect. The 2013 draft is incredibly weak

2016 came early.

. Most of these guys are all far too slight to be C's in the NBA nor do they have frames to fill out. These prospects are role players and aren't even on the level of Drummond, Leonard as C prospects.

Likely true for austin, zeller, noel.
ManualRam
RealGM

Post#16 » by ManualRam » Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:16 pm

shaolin wrote:
princeofpalace wrote:
. Most of these guys are all far too slight to be C's in the NBA nor do they have frames to fill out. These prospects are role players and aren't even on the level of Drummond, Leonard as C prospects.

Likely true for austin, zeller, noel.

zeller has a pretty strong base for a kid his age, i think he's more advanced in that area than, say, his brother tyler.
i think he's more of a PF than a C anyways.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#17 » by Ruzious » Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:56 pm

Geaux_Hawks wrote:
ManualRam wrote:

I don't know about Adams and Austin, but Len is so weak at this point, it's hard to project him being more than a backup in the NBA - even if he gains 30 lbs. He's a poor man's Tyler Zeller. How poor depends on how well he develops, but he'll never be as good, imo. Then again, when Henson was a freshman, I thought there was no way he'd get strong enough for the NBA, so I could be wrong. And Len does have a very good coach in Mark Turgeon.
WallabyPie
Senior
And1: 13

Post#18 » by WallabyPie » Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:33 pm

7'1” 280 Przemek Karnowski will be the next big thing in the NBA.
ManualRam
RealGM

Post#19 » by ManualRam » Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:03 pm

WallabyPie wrote:7'1” 280 Przemek Karnowski will be the next big thing in the NBA.

i dunno about all that, but he is big and skilled. i also dont think he's gonna be a 1 and done player at gonzaga.
interesting player though. i've read that marc gasol comparison before, but karnowski doesnt play with that same ruggedness and physicality that marc does. he's very much a giant finesse player. i also dont think he'll ever be much of a factor defensively. his lateral quicks arent great and neither is his length.
he gets knocked for being unathletic, but i wouldnt consider him a stiff. once he loses some of that excess baggage he'll look more athletic.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,485

Post#20 » by Dr Positivity » Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:52 pm

Noel, Austin and Zeller look like better fits at PF to me

Return to NBA Draft