Assess the West

Moderators: SD2042, VCfor3

SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 2,413

Assess the West 

Post#1 » by SD2042 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:45 am

With the smoke starting to clear a bit, we need to look at the changes that has happened up and down the Western Conference starting with our top opponents.

1. OKC Thunder

This team is the Grizzlies #1 rival. The core remains the same. Only added rookie Percy Jones III, former Grizz Hasheem Thabeet, and former Magic Daniel Orton to add depth. The Thunder are still the team to beat as they experience their first appearance in the NBA Finals. Inspite of the loss, they look forward to learning from their mistakes and attempt to get back to the Finals again.

2. Denver Nuggets

Another Grizz opponent who have given the Grizz some challenges with their athleticism at will. With the resigning of center JaVale McGee, veteran PG Andre Miller, and the recent trade for Andre Iguodala, the Nuggets make themselves a very interesting team to watchout for during the upcoming season.

3. L.A. Fakers

Once again, the darlings of the NBA find ways to keep their status from falling from the sky. David Stern and Fakerprints all over it with the recent trade of former Magic center Dwight Howard. Any team but the Lakers :nonono: Anyways, Howard replaces Andrew Bynum as the best center in the NBA as he brings better offense and defense to the Fakers starting lineup. Steve Nash is another PG acquisition the Fakers brought into the fold. Nash brings offense and his passing game to a Fakers team that looks very lethal on offense. Also Antawn Jamison and Jodie Meeks are offseason acquisitions the Fakers brought into fold for their offense. Expect lots of attention to be on the Fakers this season.

4. L.A. Clippers
The Clips were the team that put the Grizz out at home and the playoffs. Our first matchup will be @ Staples Center on Oct 31. The Clips made some changes from their bench. Gone are Reggie Evans, Kenyon Martin, Nick Young, Mo Williams, and Randy Foye. The Clips brought in Jamal Crawford, Grant Hill, Ronny Turiaf, Ryan Hollins, and Chauncey Billups. Still formiable and still can't be underestimate at no cost.

5. S.A. Spurs

Older veteran team who can't be underestimate as well. Kept the majority of their core. Resigned Boris Diaw, Danny Green, Patty Mills, and 2011 draft pick, Nando de Calo. So like the Thunder, the Spurs stood pack as well.

6. Dallas Mavericks

The Mavs went through a major overhaul this offseason. They lost out on the Deron Williams sweepstakes and looked like things were going to be derailed for Dirk's Mavs. But they managed to pick up some talent in Elton Brand, Chris Kaman, former Grizz O.J. Mayo, and more to try and stay in the middle of the pack. Of the teams on this list, the Mavs are the most mediocre of the bunch. May be a trying season for the Mavs.
vanjulio
Sixth Man
And1: 60

Re: Assess the West 

Post#2 » by vanjulio » Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:48 pm

if the Nuggets find a way to get rid of JaVale McGee they will be real contenders.

question for Clippers is Blake Griffin's health. Jamal Crawford and Grant Hill's best days are far in the past. Chauncey Billups is nothing more than a player coach at this point. I think they're going to take a step back this season although could still be the best team in LA.

Lakers bring in Antawn Jamison but that's too little too late. Nash + Howard are not Westbrook + Perkins in 2013. Perkins can neutralize the Superman and Westbrook will run circles around Nash at this point in time. I look for Reggie Jackson to break out of his rookie slump and show he's the real deal. OKC is the #1 team in the west by a safe margin this year. Only close behind them are the Grizzlies assuming Josh Selby is really ready for showtime.

Spurs - time they fell out of the spotlight. Boris Diaw? Hardly an upgrade from Richard Jefferson. They're doomed unless Dejuan Blair and Tiago make significant strides this year. (it's possible!). You can't ever count that team out.

On the rise: New Orleans Hornets. Look for Vasquez to breakout. As long as Gordon can keep his head on and play up to expectations they could be a dark horse THIS YEAR.
==========================
Memphis Grizzlies Never Die
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies

Post#3 » by SD2042 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:50 pm

McGee has signed an extension with the Nuggets. If the guy can learn to mature and hone his skills with Karl's help, McGee may turn into someone else entirely. Denver's lack of a go-to guy will be a deciding factor come playoff time.

The Clips with Griffin will be a factor as well. Griffin is the Vinsanity(Raptors days) of the Clippers. Unless he learns to expand his game all around, he could shorten his career with these knee injuries he keeps collecting. Also the Clips might have regress a bit with the moves they made from the bench. They still can't be underestimated regardless.

As for the Spurs, they will still be contenders, but not enough to match up to the likes of teams like the Thunder and Grizzlies. Also DeJuan Blair is on the trading block for the Spurs.

NOH will be on the rise, but I'll give them a couple of seasons before they will make a true impression in the NBA.

Dark horse: The Warriors are the team to look out for. They have talent in every position. They have a coach fresh off his first year in Mark Jackson, who has a idea of what direction his team is heading. They should be a force to be reckon with this upcoming season.
vanjulio
Sixth Man

Post#4 » by vanjulio » Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:27 pm

warriors are great but I have to see how Andrew Bogut fits in there. just doesnt seem right with me! we'll see though maybe you're right they are the dark horse. I also would like to see Phoenix succeed but much more so if OJ Mayo had gone there! I like teh Warriors no better than Jazz or King's chances though at the end of the day.

I agree though NOLA has some years to go. I think I got too excited. It's going to be a process!

Minnesota should be pretty tough this year but I feel like they have 10 really good players but only 1 or 2 great players (love + rubio). not enough OOOMPH to run with the big dawgs???????
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies

Post#5 » by SD2042 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:05 am

I'm in the same boat as you on Bogut. The Warriors are an uptempo team with lots of athleticism on the roster. Something Bogut is not.

PHX may hit a rough spot this season since they are rebuilding themselves post the Steve Nash era.

The Wolves did decent this offseason with the Roy and AK-47 signings. Bench wise, they are still suspect IMO. And can they stay healthy to fight for a playoff spot.
vanjulio
Sixth Man

Post#6 » by vanjulio » Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:17 pm

I was thinking Shved and Budinger were good acquisitions and additon by subtraction in letting Beasly move on. Roy and AK47 are intriguing but not really going to push them over the hump of .500 win percentage. If they contribute at all it will be in the locker room and mentoring roles.
dark-child
Sixth Man
And1: 125

Post#7 » by dark-child » Sun Aug 19, 2012 6:14 pm

Southwest Division
Spurs - Playoffs
Grizz - Playoffs
Dallas - playoffs
Hornets - lottery
Rockets - lottery

Pacific Division
Lakers - Playoffs
Clippers - Playoffs
Warriors - lottery
Suns - Lottery
kings - lottery

Northwest Division
Thunder - Playoffs
Nuggets - Playoffs
Timberwolves - Playoffs
Jazz - lottery
trailblazers - lottery
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies

Post#8 » by SD2042 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:54 am

vanjulio wrote:I was thinking Shved and Budinger were good acquisitions and additon by subtraction in letting Beasly move on. Roy and AK47 are intriguing but not really going to push them over the hump of .500 win percentage. If they contribute at all it will be in the locker room and mentoring roles.

They will need that leadership more than anything in order to fight for a playoff spot.
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies

Post#9 » by SD2042 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:42 am

HotelVitale
RealGM
And1: 9,766

Post#10 » by HotelVitale » Wed Sep 5, 2012 8:28 pm

Two things:
You guys are confusing the Nellie Warriors with the current roster. With David Lee, Steph Curry, Bogut, Klay Thompson, and Harrison Barnes as their core, they're pretty below average as far as basic athleticism goes. Just because they've played fast in the past doesn't mean they will this year.

Also, I honestly thought the Spurs were as good as the Thunder last year, and that the Thunder just played awesome during the last 4 games of the WCF. If they had shot as well against the Heat they'd have rolled them in 5 or 6 games too.

Return to Memphis Grizzlies