RealGM Top 100 List -- 2011

Moderators: penbeast0, trex_8063, PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier

Lightning25
Banned User
And1: 29

Re: RealGM Top 100 List 

Post#681 » by Lightning25 » Sun Sep 2, 2012 4:55 am

I would definitely like to be apart of the voting panel for the Top 100 list.

I would also like it if there was no nomination for the next player too. I feel like it almost forced you to pick certain players even if you didn't think he either belonged there. I think it was mainly like that after #30, at least based off of what I was reading. I didn't think players like McGrady, Dwight, or even Reggie should have been that high but due to certain nominations it happened. For example, if I was voting, I wouldn't have been able to vote for Worthy over Nique or Ray over Reggie, two players I do believe should be ranked above the other, because of the nominations.

I think the voting should be similar to peak.
therealbig3
RealGM
And1: 15,067

Post#682 » by therealbig3 » Sun Sep 2, 2012 10:40 am

Perhaps to not let it drag as much, what about reducing the top 100 to top 50?

I voted til the end, but it did get kind of boring to be honest, because there were only like 10 people left at that point, and there wasn't much discussion anymore, just a lot of copying and pasting, or a bunch of one line explanations just to satisfy the "you have to explain yourself" rule. But there was still a lot of active participation around 50.

Just a thought.
nikomCH
Bench Warmer
And1: 191

Post#683 » by nikomCH » Fri Sep 7, 2012 7:24 am

thizznation wrote:All these projects are turning into a resourceful reference within themselves, almost like an advanced ranking statistic compiled of all the advanced stats plus some good ol' fashioned eyeballin'. I like it.

Indeed. And the fact that we can go back to each topic of discussion to see the explanations is another huge resource.
penbeast0
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
And1: 8,584

Post#684 » by penbeast0 » Sat Sep 8, 2012 9:28 pm

Doctor MJ wrote:
thizznation wrote:All these projects are turning into a resourceful reference within themselves, almost like an advanced ranking statistic compiled of all the advanced stats plus some good ol' fashioned eyeballin'. I like it.

i for one think it's pretty damn awesome. i can't tell you how much I've learned.

And I agree with DS and ardee, while I don't know what will happen next summer, I'm hoping we decide to hold off on the Top 100 one more year. The Top 100 is just a beast. Not saying the RPOY wasn't a beast, but when it really started to drag we wrapped it up. Voting a 100 guys starts to drag well before spot 100. Best not to tackle it until we're all really itching for a re-do.

But with that said, penbeast has been the one running the 100 projects, so we'll see what he wants.

Actually they always start with someone else running them but I end up doing it by default (and having fun doing it too). 8-)
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
magic wand time
Junior
And1: 6

Post#685 » by magic wand time » Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:42 am

The inflation of current / recent players in these lists is horrific, in the worst 20 yrs of the watered down nba. Embarassing.
milesfides wrote:If I were management and I saw one of my players crying, tweeting, and listening to Drake, I would punch him in the face.

Stern's Legacy in two words: BASKETBALL REASONS {the NBA's future instantly changed}
ardee
RealGM
And1: 5,221

Post#686 » by ardee » Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:23 am

magic wand time wrote:The inflation of current / recent players in these lists is horrific, in the worst 20 yrs of the watered down nba. Embarassing.

Watered down? Until the '96 season the NBA was going just as strong as during the Magic/Bird years. From '97-'05 there was a dip, but since then there's been no looking back after the rule changes.

Make a case against the current players you don't like if that's the way you feel.
thizznation
Starter
And1: 778

Post#687 » by thizznation » Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:54 am

magic wand time wrote:The inflation of current / recent players in these lists is horrific, in the worst 20 yrs of the watered down nba. Embarassing.

I would like to nominate this to the RealGM Top 100 Posts of All-Time.
magic wand time
Junior
And1: 6

Post#688 » by magic wand time » Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:13 am

Well thank you. Such an honor. I humbly accept.

While I have the podium, I will also call for contraction back to 24 teams so the nba can regain its glory and demand Hondo be put back into his rightful place in the top 15.
milesfides wrote:If I were management and I saw one of my players crying, tweeting, and listening to Drake, I would punch him in the face.

Stern's Legacy in two words: BASKETBALL REASONS {the NBA's future instantly changed}
ricochet
Banned User
And1: 18

Post#689 » by ricochet » Sat Sep 15, 2012 4:07 am

fatal9 wrote:Yea, the Dream Shake is the fake left/fake right shimmy usually followed by a turn toward the middle of the floor for a jump hook. It was virtually unstoppable because he would set you up with the baseline fadeaway all game, and then counter with that (instead of turning baseline, he'd turn to middle). Then he had several counter moves for the dream shake/jump hook too if the defender began overplaying, one of the more common ones was this:

That's why his post game was so great, it was instinctive and always kept the defenders guessing, but at the same time he had several go to moves that simply couldn't be stopped.

penbeast0 wrote:Dang, how many times does he get to move his pivot foot in one bloody sequence? That's as bad as LeBron and the crab dribble.
Dipper 13
Starter
And1: 1,427

Post#690 » by Dipper 13 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:17 pm

The inflation of current / recent players in these lists is horrific, in the worst 20 yrs of the watered down nba. Embarassing.

We even saw a guy like Odom mentioned ahead of HOF'er Chet Walker.
ardee
RealGM
And1: 5,221

Post#691 » by ardee » Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:42 pm

Dipper 13 wrote:

We even saw a guy like Odom mentioned ahead of HOF'er Chet Walker.

Please link me :o
Dipper 13
Starter
And1: 1,427

Post#692 » by Dipper 13 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:31 pm

Odom came up towards the end of the project that I feel Walker was neglected in. Not that the two were directly compared with each other.
AlphaWolfAWBA
Senior
And1: 3

Post#693 » by AlphaWolfAWBA » Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:35 pm

Kobe at #10..

lol

psst

next
a proud servant of Lord GawdBE

]
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,484

Post#694 » by Dr Positivity » Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:39 am

Peaks project is proving Frazier at #23 was a huge mistake. Not even being mentioned by #31 AND a shortened peak/career... hard to justify him getting near the top 25 on the ATL with that combination IMO
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 19,346

Post#695 » by Doctor MJ » Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:26 pm

Dr Positivity wrote:Peaks project is proving Frazier at #23 was a huge mistake. Not even being mentioned by #31 AND a shortened peak/career... hard to justify him getting near the top 25 on the ATL with that combination IMO

I don't know about proving, but it's remarkable the difference.
Getting ready for the RealGM 100 on the PC Board

Come join the WNBA Board if you're a fan!
Kobe Bean
Banned User
And1: 59

Post#696 » by Kobe Bean » Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:05 pm

What did McGrady do to put him ahead of Iverson/Reggie? The man rarely ever played a full season after his Magic days, and even there the only thing he did was score a lot and make it look smooth.

Kobe behind Hakeem is also just ridiculous. No need to even get further into that, I'll only get flamed anyway.

CP3 also has no buisness being over Ray Allen, Rodman and Ginobli at this point. He hasn't played nearly as long as the others, and lacks any real postseason success.
SDChargers#1
Starter
And1: 104

Post#697 » by SDChargers#1 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:57 pm

Kobe Bean wrote:What did McGrady do to put him ahead of Iverson/Reggie? The man rarely ever played a full season after his Magic days, and even there the only thing he did was score a lot and make it look smooth.

Kobe behind Hakeem is also just ridiculous. No need to even get further into that, I'll only get flamed anyway.

CP3 also has no buisness being over Ray Allen, Rodman and Ginobli at this point. He hasn't played nearly as long as the others, and lacks any real postseason success.

It is interesting because during the top 100 project peaks were valued really highly, yet the top peaks project has put some interesting twists on it.

T-Mac got voted in remarkably high considering he never really accomplished anything. And his whole argument was essentially his peak. Which makes it interesting that in the top peak project he ranked so low.
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod

Post#698 » by Doctor MJ » Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:49 pm

SDChargers#1 wrote:It is interesting because during the top 100 project peaks were valued really highly, yet the top peaks project has put some interesting twists on it.

T-Mac got voted in remarkably high considering he never really accomplished anything. And his whole argument was essentially his peak. Which makes it interesting that in the top peak project he ranked so low.

Well, stating up front that I wasn't someone voting for TMac either time, he did get voted in far earlier in the Peak 50 project (25) than in the Top 100 project (37). No he didn't make the kind of leap that Walton made (47 to 12), but then he also didn't have longevity issues anywhere near as bad as Walton.

Lightning25
Banned User
And1: 29

Post#699 » by Lightning25 » Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:02 pm

I really have no clue how McGrady got so high in the top 100 list. He shouldn't be in the top 50 but he shouldn't be too far away from it either. I would say in the 55-65 range for me.

Based off of the threads I see, the Top 100 in this project is similar to the top 50 in the peaks. The voting/discussion dies down and eventually people just vote for who they like. I'm more than positive the same happened and that is why McGrady got to 37. People don't want to discuss past 25 usual.
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod

Post#700 » by Doctor MJ » Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:24 pm

Lightning25 wrote:I really have no clue how McGrady got so high in the top 100 list. He shouldn't be in the top 50 but he shouldn't be too far away from it either. I would say in the 55-65 range for me.

Based off of the threads I see, the Top 100 in this project is similar to the top 50 in the peaks. The voting/discussion dies down and eventually people just vote for who they like. I'm more than positive the same happened and that is why McGrady got to 37. People don't want to discuss past 25 usual.

Conversation is typically more lively at this stage in a Top 100 project than it is now in the Peak 50 to be honest. Doesn't mean that guys don't get in despite only have a small plurality, but normally conversation stays pretty lively through the first 50.

The current project seems a bit weaker, but here's hoping new debates will emerge.

Return to Player Comparisons