Post#21 » by Anklebreaker702 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:03 pm

I disagree Big Shot, we'll be in the Finals
VETERAN LAKER FAN
AcecardZ
Lead Assistant
And1: 541

Re: Horry: "Lakers won't make Finals" 

Post#22 » by AcecardZ » Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:58 pm

In the "fwliw" department I'd much rather have people like Horry around saying we won't win a championship than have all of them saying we will.
Sometimes being wrong is awesome!!! :D
LaLa
Banned User
And1: 202

Post#23 » by LaLa » Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:33 pm

So basically Blake/Meeks/Ebanks/Jamison/Hill is a horrible bench? dafuq Horry.
seoulman
Freshman
And1: 0

Post#24 » by seoulman » Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:23 pm

I've always appreciated Big Shot Bob for what he did for us, but I know he's always wanted more credit for what a great player he was throughout his career.

This almost feels like he's trying to say, "Do you know how great I was? Don't you know championships are defined by the bench? Oh by the way, I was the best bench player on those championship teams. So give me some more love here."
semi-sentient
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,609

Post#25 » by semi-sentient » Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:20 am

^^^ Pretty much.
"Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere." - Carl Sagan
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,461

Post#26 » by dockingsched » Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:28 am

didn't he just say some other attention seeking stuff not too long ago?
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
SportsandTacos
Sophomore
And1: 1

Post#27 » by SportsandTacos » Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:58 am

if we were able to play okc hard with the worst bench in the league, i wonder what we could do with a mid of the pack bench like we have now
OneWhoKnocks wrote:Any ridiculous trade scenario made up by a Laker fan may be one-upped by Mitch Kupchak in actuality. It's pretty scary.
Wavy Q
RealGM
And1: 2,390

Post#28 » by Wavy Q » Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:03 am

Benches are overrated when it comes playoff time
GoldKnightRises
Senior
And1: 24

Post#29 » by GoldKnightRises » Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:14 am

Horry is one of those guys that are great when they are on your team, but then they can't play basketball anymore, then age, then comes the hatred towards the players who are still on the court....

CHECK OUT MY DESIGNS ON INSTAGRAM/TWITTER: @GoldenKnightGFX
GoldKnightRises
Senior

Post#30 » by GoldKnightRises » Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:15 am

SportsandTacos wrote:if we were able to play okc hard with the worst bench in the league, i wonder what we could do with a mid of the pack bench like we have now

GoldKnightRises
Senior

Post#31 » by GoldKnightRises » Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:18 am

LaLa wrote:So basically Blake/Meeks/Ebanks/Jamison/Hill is a horrible bench? dafuq Horry.

Last year: Blake/Goudelock/Barnes/McRoberts/Murphy

This year: Blake/Meeks/Ebanks/Jamison/Hill

We have definitely built a solid bench to compliment out incredible starters, we don't need a SUPER bench when we have Nash/Kobe/Metta/Pau/Howard.

Sofa King
RealGM
And1: 3,034

Post#32 » by Sofa King » Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:21 am

nbaintel1 wrote:He said HE THINKS - not the Lakers won't. OP, you should know better than that trying to stir up controversy.

It's the title of the effing article :roll:
DEEP3CL
RealGM
And1: 3,207

Post#33 » by DEEP3CL » Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:32 am

We supposedly had a weak bench in Rob's days here too. Not gonna get mad at what he said, it's easier to say they won't make it as oppose to flat out saying way too early that they'll win it all. Too much flak will come his way if he made such a prediction and it blew up in his face.

But again guys overrate bench play during the playoffs, in reality you only play 2-3 guys decent minutes. For example in 2002 our main guys were Fish and Rob playing a lot more than others.
VETERAN LAKERS FAN

SmartWentCrazy wrote:It's extremely unlikely that they end up in the top 3.They're probably better off trying to win and giving Philly the 8th pick than tanking and giving them the 4th.
EArl
RealGM
And1: 13,221

Post#34 » by EArl » Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:21 am

I aint even mad!!
Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there wondering, fearing, Doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before;
tugs
RealGM
And1: 2,923

Post#35 » by tugs » Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:39 am

given the personnel I think the roster's set to go. I'm campaigning for Pietrus or Barbosa but I'm not complaining also. just because the bench doesn't have household names in some positions doesn't make it weak or useless. Lakers actually have a very solid 4/5 rotation with Gasol, Hill, Jamison, Howard. Kobe and Ebanks and MWP can even play 2/3, MWP and Clark 4/5, or MWP Jamison 3/4, GLock, Morris and Meeks 1/2. combinations are "endless".

the challenge here is how Mike Brown will manage the rotation. it's a lot harder to manage minutes having players that can effectively play at different positions.
EnigmaticProblem
Sixth Man
And1: 324

Post#36 » by EnigmaticProblem » Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:56 am

This is something I've never understood. . . All this talk about the Lakers' lack of depth.

Who does Oklahoma City have coming off that bench? Let''s assume James Harden is a starter in the scenario. That leaves Nick Collison, Daequan Cook, Eric Maynor, Daniel Orton, and Thabo Sefolosha. How is that better than what the Lakers have? I'd take Jordan Hill over Nick Collison; I'd take Jodie Meeks over Daequan Cook; I'd also take Antawn Jamison over Daniel Orton (or Perry Jones III). That leaves Eric Maynor, who's coming off an ACL injury, and Thabo Sefolosha.

Am I missing something, here?

EDIT: However, Miami is much deeper than us, provided their bench is healthy. You have Battier, Miller, Allen, along with Haslem. This isn't a bad thing, though. All of those players are wing players, and anyone keeping Wade and LeBron off the floor can't be a bad thing. They have an oversaturation in perimeter players, and no front court depth-- It'll be interesting seeing how all of those minutes are distributed.
Stebo_SSK
Banned User
And1: 22

Post#37 » by Stebo_SSK » Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:25 pm

The last thing wrong with last year's Lakers was the bench. Of course it could have been better but in reality it wasnt the deciding factor in them getting roasted by OKC and nearly beaten by the Nuggets.
chefy
Head Coach
And1: 650

Post#38 » by chefy » Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:31 pm

lol. this no bench thing is getting annoying and overrated in the nba. whenever you have someone criticizing the lakers or picking OKC over the lakers, they always say "its because they don't have a bench"...can you tell me something new? its how you use and maximize your player is what's important. our bench was pretty mediocre in 08-10 but phil did a good job maximizing their talent.
TruSkool
Lead Assistant
And1: 253

Post#39 » by TruSkool » Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:36 pm

not only are we making it to the damn finals, we're winning it mr. robert horry
Speedlot
Lead Assistant
And1: 697

Post#40 » by Speedlot » Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:16 am

EnigmaticProblem wrote:This is something I've never understood. . . All this talk about the Lakers' lack of depth.

Who does Oklahoma City have coming off that bench? Let''s assume James Harden is a starter in the scenario. That leaves Nick Collison, Daequan Cook, Eric Maynor, Daniel Orton, and Thabo Sefolosha. How is that better than what the Lakers have? I'd take Jordan Hill over Nick Collison; I'd take Jodie Meeks over Daequan Cook; I'd also take Antawn Jamison over Daniel Orton (or Perry Jones III). That leaves Eric Maynor, who's coming off an ACL injury, and Thabo Sefolosha.

Am I missing something, here?

EDIT: However, Miami is much deeper than us, provided their bench is healthy. You have Battier, Miller, Allen, along with Haslem. This isn't a bad thing, though. All of those players are wing players, and anyone keeping Wade and LeBron off the floor can't be a bad thing. They have an oversaturation in perimeter players, and no front court depth-- It'll be interesting seeing how all of those minutes are distributed.

You're missing something for sure. James Harden is NOT a starter. Why would you assume it that he is. It's like when we placed Odom on our bench, we had a decent bench. Thabo Selfolosha is wonderful off the bench. All-NBA Defensive Second Team in 2010. That alone makes him more valuable than everybody on our bench.

Return to Los Angeles Lakers