And1: 2,671

Re: OT: P90X/Health and Fitness Thread 

Post#1201 » by jimmybones » Sat Sep 15, 2012 3:25 am

Nebula1
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#1202 » by Nebula1 » Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:56 pm

Still hooping 5 days a week and lifting. Bought a bench for at home and now have a mini-gym in my kitchen.

Can't wait for basketball to pick up indoors again.
jakecronus8
RealGM
And1: 7,236

Post#1203 » by jakecronus8 » Sat Sep 15, 2012 5:47 pm

I've just recently heard of this supplement called CB1 for weight gain. Anyone ever used it before or know someone who has?

I also am waiting for my Health Master emulsifying blender to arrive. Watched an infomercial and got hooked. Heard some great and bad things but keeping my fingers crossed. Sounds like the easiest/cheapest way to get whole vegetables into ones diet.
Do it for Chuck
AussieBuck
RealGM
And1: 19,659

Post#1204 » by AussieBuck » Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:43 pm

jimmybones wrote:
Lakerfan17 wrote:Anyone here do crossfit?

NO!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=NnnOWfj2TW4#!

The last one looks kinda cool. :D
emunney wrote:
We need a man shaped like a chicken nugget with the shot selection of a 21st birthday party.

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
if you combined jabari parker, royal ivey, a shrimp and a ball sack youd have javon carter
jimmybones
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,671

Post#1205 » by jimmybones » Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:07 pm

jakecronus8 wrote:I've just recently heard of this supplement called CB1 for weight gain. Anyone ever used it before or know someone who has?

A caloric surplus works wonders for weight gain.
Nebula1
RealGM

Post#1206 » by Nebula1 » Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:10 am

99% fat free ground turkey is the best

I season the hell out it and brown it before adding a low sugar, chunky pasta sauce and serving over a little pasta. Provides a bunch of good stuff and is filling.

Any easy low fat/low sugar meals you guys have? I'm looking for some new ideas.
AussieBuck
RealGM

Post#1207 » by AussieBuck » Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:50 pm

So I'm going in a 210 kilometre bike ride in 3 weeks and only bought a bike yesterday. I rode about 7 KM today and my ass and legs hurt but I'll be fine training up for this event right?
emunney wrote:
We need a man shaped like a chicken nugget with the shot selection of a 21st birthday party.

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
if you combined jabari parker, royal ivey, a shrimp and a ball sack youd have javon carter
bigkurty
General Manager
And1: 1,511

Post#1208 » by bigkurty » Wed Oct 3, 2012 4:44 pm

Do any of you guys have experience with helping someone else decide to get healthy? If so, do you have any tips?

My future father in law is overweight and also needs a knee replacement. He also makes the worst diet decisions and eats too much and like crap. He is on tons of different medications from blood thinners to pain killers to who knows what else and he is stubborn as a mule. My fiance and I are worried that he could die soon if he doesn't take action and make better decisions and get more fit. Ideally he needs to start eating better immediately and then get his knee replacement and then start working out however how do you convince a guy to do this? He lives in a super small town out in the middle of nowhere where doctors are fresh grads and too weak to tell him he will die if he doesn't turn his life around.

So have any of you been in this situation and found a way to get the person to start down a better path? We are having no luck so far and even my future mother in law and sister in law are too weak to ever say anything to him.
EastSideBucksFan
RealGM
And1: 4,490

Post#1209 » by EastSideBucksFan » Wed Oct 3, 2012 5:51 pm

AussieBuck wrote:So I'm going in a 210 kilometre bike ride in 3 weeks and only bought a bike yesterday. I rode about 7 KM today and my ass and legs hurt but I'll be fine training up for this event right?

:o

:lol:

Yeah, I'm sure you'll be fine mate.
Nebula1
RealGM

Post#1210 » by Nebula1 » Wed Oct 3, 2012 6:24 pm

bigkurty wrote:Do any of you guys have experience with helping someone else decide to get healthy? If so, do you have any tips?

My future father in law is overweight and also needs a knee replacement. He also makes the worst diet decisions and eats too much and like crap. He is on tons of different medications from blood thinners to pain killers to who knows what else and he is stubborn as a mule. My fiance and I are worried that he could die soon if he doesn't take action and make better decisions and get more fit. Ideally he needs to start eating better immediately and then get his knee replacement and then start working out however how do you convince a guy to do this? He lives in a super small town out in the middle of nowhere where doctors are fresh grads and too weak to tell him he will die if he doesn't turn his life around.

So have any of you been in this situation and found a way to get the person to start down a better path? We are having no luck so far and even my future mother in law and sister in law are too weak to ever say anything to him.

I've had to deal with this before and obviously everybody is different, but I started small and asked my relative to start watching her sugar intake. She was very overweight, but also completely unaware of general eating guidelines so I started small, asking her to track her sugar consumption. I told her to target 50 grams of sugar per day and she agreed to start paying attention. Thankfully she has started knocking some of the sweets out of her diet as I believe she was simply surprised by how much she was eating.

The point is, it had to be her decision to change and I simply gave her a number benchmark to gauge where she was. So far so good.

Best of luck. I know that's a difficult conversation.
AussieBuck
RealGM

Post#1211 » by AussieBuck » Wed Oct 3, 2012 9:01 pm

EastSideBucksFan wrote:
AussieBuck wrote:So I'm going in a 210 kilometre bike ride in 3 weeks and only bought a bike yesterday. I rode about 7 KM today and my ass and legs hurt but I'll be fine training up for this event right?

:o

:lol:

Yeah, I'm sure you'll be fine mate.

Yeah I might have to do half and get a ride home. :D
emunney wrote:

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,359

Post#1212 » by emunney » Wed Oct 3, 2012 11:24 pm

Is it 210k all at once? If so, try not to kill your balls.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
AussieBuck
RealGM

Post#1213 » by AussieBuck » Thu Oct 4, 2012 7:23 am

emunney wrote:Is it 210k all at once? If so, try not to kill your balls.

It's half then a ferry ride across the bay then the other half.
emunney wrote:

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
blkout
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,914

Post#1214 » by blkout » Thu Oct 4, 2012 7:47 am

jimmybones wrote:
Lakerfan17 wrote:Anyone here do crossfit?

NO!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=NnnOWfj2TW4#!

Sweet jesus maybe the dumbest thing I've ever seen
bigkurty
General Manager
And1: 1,511

Post#1215 » by bigkurty » Thu Oct 4, 2012 4:05 pm

Nebula1 wrote:I've had to deal with this before and obviously everybody is different, but I started small and asked my relative to start watching her sugar intake. She was very overweight, but also completely unaware of general eating guidelines so I started small, asking her to track her sugar consumption. I told her to target 50 grams of sugar per day and she agreed to start paying attention. Thankfully she has started knocking some of the sweets out of her diet as I believe she was simply surprised by how much she was eating.

The point is, it had to be her decision to change and I simply gave her a number benchmark to gauge where she was. So far so good.

Best of luck. I know that's a difficult conversation.

Thanks Nebs. I guess my future father in law has been having a hard time breathing lately too and his doctor finally told him he needs to drive to a bigger town and see a cardiologist. I really hope that guys lays it all out on the line and tells him he is going to die soon without making changes. I do like your start small thing. One of his biggest problems is snacking on potato chips all the time. Hell he has potato chips with breakfast even. I think I am going to try and see if he will just give that up and add in a healthier option.

You are right though, the person definitely has to make the decision for themselves. I just hope this doctor scares the **** out of him and scares him straight basically.
Nebula1
RealGM

Post#1216 » by Nebula1 » Thu Oct 4, 2012 6:29 pm

You're in a tough spot. My situation wasn't life or death like you're illustrating, but diabetes was becoming a real threat, thus my move on sugar.

I do think 'food replacement' can be effective. Even something like low fat ritz crackers or pretzels instead of chips would be a start. He could probably eat all the pretzels he wants and still improve.

I think sometimes people think they're too far gone so they give up when really you can turn it around awfully quick with some minor diet changes and a little exercise. I hope the conversation with the cardiologist works.
sneakerdust
Banned User
And1: 101

Post#1217 » by sneakerdust » Fri Oct 5, 2012 5:13 am

Nebula1 wrote:You're in a tough spot. My situation wasn't life or death like you're illustrating, but diabetes was becoming a real threat, thus my move on sugar.

I do think 'food replacement' can be effective. Even something like low fat ritz crackers or pretzels instead of chips would be a start. He could probably eat all the pretzels he wants and still improve.

I think sometimes people think they're too far gone so they give up when really you can turn it around awfully quick with some minor diet changes and a little exercise. I hope the conversation with the cardiologist works.

Try making some hummus outta chickpeas lemon juice cumin and low sodium hot sauce. Use some no salt pretzels or home baked corn tortillas to dip them in. Try carrots or mushrooms too. Make em and bring em over to him for a game. Don't be all nag Michelle Obama about it but down it yourself too. I always had a need for the salty snacks like PO's and this helped save my life literally till i could get to a better diet.

Neb is so right about small changes can see big results - its a matter of taking control with a more plant based diet. Aint nothing wrong with killin squirrel you just cant eat it all the time. Once you take control even a little you feel more powerful and in control of your destiny.

good luck!
paul
RealGM
And1: 1,038

Post#1218 » by paul » Fri Oct 5, 2012 5:25 am

AussieBuck wrote:
emunney wrote:Is it 210k all at once? If so, try not to kill your balls.

It's half then a ferry ride across the bay then the other half.

The full Around the Bay in a Day?

What sort of bike did you get?

I'm doing the 100km from Sorrento but I do one or two 40-50km rides most weeks. For a multitude of reasons, glad I'm not your ass :D
Henchman24
Ballboy
And1: 10

Post#1219 » by Henchman24 » Fri Oct 5, 2012 12:48 pm

Earlier this year, I cut way back on my sugar consumption. I haven't had a soda since March and, in general, I watch my sugar intake very closely. Most days, it's just from yogurt (about 12 - 15 grams).

But, to be perfectly honest, I've seen a much bigger change in how I feel in general from cutting out wheat. The wheat in this country is actually a hybrid and there are side effects from the hybridization. Funny thing is, I was skeptical and was expecting to feel exactly the same. For the first 4 - 7 days, I felt like I was starving myself. But then it just stopped. No more hunger pangs every 2 hours. I just cut out wheat, not ALL carbs and ate what I normally would've eaten like steel cut oats for breakfast, fresh vegetable juices, and varied lunches and dinners.. everything from brats (w/o the bun) to pork chops to potatoes. I even tried a pizza with a crust made from cauliflower (believe it or not, it was good). Anyway, I dare anyone to try it... I think you'd be surprised.
Nebula1
RealGM

Post#1220 » by Nebula1 » Fri Oct 5, 2012 3:14 pm

Congrats Henchman.

I agree on the wheat as well. In addition to wheat, I avoid soy and dairy since all 3 are screwed up in the USA. I eat as much fresh/natural foods as possible and try to focus on natural meats, enhanced waters, some free range egg and overall limited carbs.

The system in the US is designed to make the population obese and sick.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks