The Pau Gasol Pickle

Moderators: Trader_Joe, loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger

warren weel im
Lead Assistant
And1: 307

The Pau Gasol Pickle 

Post#1 » by warren weel im » Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:55 pm

Let me start by saying that the Lakers are in no hurry to deal him. Atleast not until we see how things work under the new core. Most likely, any move would have to be next year when the steep luxury tax kicks in. But you never know, as Mitch has been known to be quite the ninja.

Pau Gasol is a top 20 player in the league still. While many would argue he has slip, I think his biggest drawback will be his 19.3M salary next season. So lets value him properly.

As for his skill, I think its no secret that Pau is a 5. He just plays the 4 well enough due to his amazing basketball IQ and passing skills. I think he is the epitome of a Euro "big" ... most likely the best of his generation. This is not the place to make a debate of Dirk vs Pau since Dirk is essentially a wing that grew too tall. His game is not back-to-the-basket.

Moving forward, the Lakers wish to see the possible offers for him. Any deal would most-likely involve the following premise:
1. Cut salary but 8-10M. Meaning your team has to have cap space to begin with, or some players with unguaranteed contracts.
2. A young/upcoming athletic PF. A stretch 4 is not necessary but a tweener would be a good fit. His old mate, Ryan Anderson comes top of mind. But he isn't the only.
3. Some draft picks. Of course lottery picks are welcome anytime but it must not interfere with our plan to give Kobe his 6th/7th, Steve and Dwight their 1st/2nd.

This is a discussion thread, trade proposals are welcome. This is also a thread where we can discuss situations along the way, circumstances that would be significant to the Lakers.

Fire Away!
SCourGe OF GoD
Assistant Coach
And1: 51

Re: The Pau Gasol Pickle 

Post#2 » by SCourGe OF GoD » Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:26 pm

Josh Smith fits the bill but we passed so thats that. How bout this

MIL Get: Pau Gasol, Darius Morris

LAL Get: Ilysova, Beno(exp), Top 5 pro 1st, And ur choice of Udoh, Henson, or Sanders

JR : Next Gen
warren weel im
Lead Assistant
And1: 307

Post#3 » by warren weel im » Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:42 pm

I think that is a very good deal. I don't think Milwaukee is required to add Udoh/Henson/Sanders I think Beno/Ersan/1st* lotto protected is enough. I would prefer to have Sanders though, exchange for Goudelock and Morris.
Rockazoids
Head Coach
And1: 1,990

Post#4 » by Rockazoids » Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:46 pm

I don't think many teams will be asking for a 32yr old player that has a $19M price tag with a trade
kicker. Maybe David Lee & some junk or Kris Humphries & some junk.
Follow the science not some internet physician & get your shots.
Kerrsed wrote:Just thinking of this deal makes my ass hurt!

turk3d wrote: you're about to make me go old rem on you

GoNYK1288 wrote:You better clench your butt cheeks because the GB is about to have at you.
bullsnewdynasty
RealGM
And1: 2,544

Post#5 » by bullsnewdynasty » Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:03 pm

warren weel im wrote:Pau Gasol is a top 20 player in the league still.

Thanks, I needed that laugh.

So lets value him properly.

Some good advice here.
LoyalKing
Veteran
And1: 1,392

Post#6 » by LoyalKing » Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:05 pm

Find it hard to believe that MIL would be enticed by this offer.

Gasol will be 33 y/old and there's no guarantee he will re-sign with Milwaukee. Look at what happened after the Bogut/Monta trade.

Plus, i don't think he is still a top20 player, especially considering how pathetic he was in the playoffs the past 2 seasons. I can easily name 20 players better/with more impact than Gasol right now, old or young ones.
bullsnewdynasty
RealGM
And1: 2,544

Post#7 » by bullsnewdynasty » Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:14 pm

You're not going to get the return that you want for Gasol. Most teams have no interest in trading for him because of his age and price tag. Teams that might be interested in him probably won't want to give up much of any good young talent or picks for him.

Why would Milwaukee do that deal? Gasol isn't putting them over the top. Even with him they're probably 1st round fodder. Makes no sense to trade a younger PF and their 1st for an older PF.
giberish
RealGM
And1: 5,809

Post#8 » by giberish » Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:32 pm

I agree with the original premise - that Gasol is much better and more valuable as a center than the stretch-4 role the Lakers are increasingly using him as (to make room for Bynum/Howard and Kobe inside).

Given the depth of the PF position around the league and weakness at center, it shouldn't be that hard to make something work trade-wise either.

However Pau's agent made it very clear this offseason that any team trading for him would get a pissed-off and sulky Pau Gasol.
basghetti80
Pro Prospect
And1: 49

Post#9 » by basghetti80 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:47 pm

Pau Gasol to Bulls has been talked about for years and I still think the Bulls would like to bring him in if they can dump Boozer to a 3rd team. I think they would love a Gasol/Noah/Gibson 3 man group upfront.

to Lakers: Deng, PF from 3rd team

to Bulls: Gasol, SF from 3rd team

to 3rd team: Boozer, Artest

Something along these lines as a premise might work.
Br0ken_Sp0ke
Rookie
And1: 745

Post#10 » by Br0ken_Sp0ke » Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:53 pm

I like the Ersan and Beno for Pau deal. Ersan would be a great fit with Dwight and save the Lakers a ton of luxury tax dollars next year.

For the Bucks they take on a huge contract, but reach their goal of making the playoffs, probably as a decent seed in the East too. I like it for both teams, but no way should the Bucks add picks and good young prospects like Henson when Pau’s contract is so big.

The other deal similar to that would be Bargnani + Calderon.
baki wrote:Robinson and Olajuwon are about equal, but I'd give Robinson the edge for being far more critical to the team's success than Olajuwon was.

baki wrote:I'm not sure if Harden is really that much better than Lin.

baki wrote:I call everything as I see it and I'm always right
Rockazoids
Head Coach
And1: 1,990

Post#11 » by Rockazoids » Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:56 pm

basghetti80 wrote:Pau Gasol to Bulls has been talked about for years and I still think the Bulls would like to bring him in if they can dump Boozer to a 3rd team. I think they would love a Gasol/Noah/Gibson 3 man group upfront.

So the 3rd team gets sh*t on right? :-?
Follow the science not some internet physician & get your shots.
Kerrsed wrote:Just thinking of this deal makes my ass hurt!

turk3d wrote: you're about to make me go old rem on you

GoNYK1288 wrote:You better clench your butt cheeks because the GB is about to have at you.
schaffy
Sixth Man
And1: 141

Post#12 » by schaffy » Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:41 pm

basghetti80 wrote:Pau Gasol to Bulls has been talked about for years and I still think the Bulls would like to bring him in if they can dump Boozer to a 3rd team. I think they would love a Gasol/Noah/Gibson 3 man group upfront.

What team would be willing to give up a PF and a SF just to take on Boozer AND Artest?? I cant think of many teams willing to take on one of those guys, let alone both.
LApwnd
Banned User
And1: 1,146

Post#13 » by LApwnd » Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:30 pm

Tor: Pau/Duhon
LA: Bargani/top 5protected pick 2013

Tor can have someone to help them win now and help mentor Val whatever his name is
LA- Howard gets his stretch 4 ala Lewis, Bargani makes 10 compared to Pau 19.

as for Milw trade, looks good on paper but hate players who have their big year during contract year i.e Illysova
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,502

Post#14 » by HornetJail » Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:12 pm

Didn't Toronto trade their 2013 pick for Lowry?

The Milwaukee trade looked pretty good for both sides, but Milwaukee really should be rebuilding instead of straining to reach the 7th seed.
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
giberish
RealGM

Post#15 » by giberish » Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:58 pm

The closest I can come up with is

LAL trade Pau for Josh Smith + Morrow
Denver trades Chandler + McGee for Pau
Atlanta trades Smith + Morrow for Chandler + McGee

Atlanta gets long-term starters at SF and C to put around Horford. They eat into their 2013 cap room, but the Paul/Smith/Howard option seems off the table and they probably don't get a better return than Chandler/McGee.

Denver makes a win-now move. For the short-run, Pau is a big upgrade on McGee. He's sounder on defense and has far more skill and BBIQ on offense. With Iggy, Gallo and Lawson as well they have the offense and defense to be at least a fringe title contender (as opposed to a good regular season team that might get to the 2nd round). That should mean that Pau will still care rather than sulking. They have wing depth to cover for Chandler at SF and can use Pau some at PF (or trade one of Mozgov or Kufos for a good backup PF).

LAL save money, get younger and get a better fit at PF.
LApwnd
Banned User
And1: 1,146

Post#16 » by LApwnd » Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:41 pm

giberish wrote:The closest I can come up with is

what happends if Smith ask for Max extension? Smith is not a good fit next to Howard, Smith is a horrible shooter.
nuposse04
RealGM
And1: 2,439

Post#17 » by nuposse04 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:53 pm

Pau is still a top 20 player?? uhh debatable...He definitely doesn't have top 20 value so you might want to curtail your return expectations.

Ersan would probably the most ideal fit next to Howard. He's on a decent contract with MIL though, I don't see an addition of Pau leading that team to anything more than maybe an 8th seed birth. I'd say maybe a different team ought to be brought in to sweeten such a deal for MIL.
giberish
RealGM

Post#18 » by giberish » Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:28 pm

LApwnd wrote:
giberish wrote:The closest I can come up with is

what happends if Smith ask for Max extension? Smith is not a good fit next to Howard, Smith is a horrible shooter.

Smith is unlikely to get a $20M/yr deal so he's some savings on Gasol next year. The Lakers can obviously afford to pay him.

Smith isn't an ideal fit, especially on offense, but with a very slow PG/SG/SF having extra quickness at PF in addition to C is a plus for the Lakers.
rugby-hook
Sixth Man
And1: 0

Post#19 » by rugby-hook » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:06 pm

Gasol is still a high value player and the best answer may be to give him a Jefferson-like deal that SAS used to avoid the LT one year. In such a situation, Gasol forgoes his $19mm salary next season and signs a new 4-year $44-46mm deal, which would even out the money and generate savings with lower future LT obligations. Gasol's game will last at least 3 more years at a high level. He does not depend on mere athletic ability and small reductions in minutes will also prolong his career.

It may also foreshadow what the Lakers may do with Kobe. Reduce Kobe and Gasol by a total of $16mm, manesy Blake and the LT bit is dramatically reduced.
lakerhater
General Manager
And1: 1,887

Post#20 » by lakerhater » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:27 am

Rockazoids wrote:I don't think many teams will be asking for a 32yr old player that has a $19M price tag with a trade
kicker. Maybe David Lee & some junk or Kris Humphries & some junk.

LAL expressed interest in signing Brandon Rush during the off-season so he'd probably be the player LAL would want from GSW in such a scenario. Rush isn't "junk" though so I'm not sure how the rest of the deal could be rounded out.

Return to Trades and Transactions