Re: Training Camp/Preseason News

Moderators: og15, TrueLAfan

og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
And1: 28,804

Re: Media Day Friday 9/28, Training Camp begins Saturday 9/2 

Post#41 » by og15 » Sun Sep 30, 2012 6:29 pm

I won't get overly excited until I see it on the court. Every team has a story about this or that player wowing people, but if it is just in pick-up, or in practice scrimmages, I'm not impressed yet. If DJ is scoring comfortably in games and making all his rotations, etc, that will be awesome.

With that said, there are things that I will always get excited about, such as:
I was pleased with his conditioning coming into camp. He passed his conditioning test easily.

Hard work is something that is always good.

scratch21 wrote:I would like Wille to start at the 2 for the injured Billups and save Jamal & GH for the 2nd unit
Yea, that was the other thought I had, maybe they start Green and have Crawford and Bledsoe of the bench as guards.
TheNewEra
RealGM
And1: 10,409

Post#42 » by TheNewEra » Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:03 pm

I'm with starting Green
mkwest
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,728

Post#43 » by mkwest » Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:13 pm

I really just like the idea of Crawford coming off of the bench so that he's used to that role and gives us that scoring punch. I've read different takes and it is a lot to think about. Green could be a nice fill-in as he does have some chemistry with Paul and he would spread the floor for us. The downside is that he would go from being a starter to barely getting any minutes when everyone is healthy. If Crawford starts, then everyone just shifts down when Billups is back to form. Having Crawford in might be more natural for the players. We'll see.
mkwest
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#44 » by mkwest » Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:30 pm

Day 2

Can Odom Revitalize Career With Clippers?

“Sometimes in order to do what we want and do what we expect of ourselves, we have to be in that happy place,” Odom said. “You have to be in the right place mentally. I’m in that place.”

“I’ve learned so many things, but mainly to be appreciative of the opportunity that I’ve been given,” Odom added. “I get to do what I love. At the end of the day, no matter where I’m at, I’m appreciative that I’m part of the small percentage of people in the world that know what they want to do and actually get to do it on the highest level. For that, I’m appreciative, thankful and grateful, especially to do it in an amazing place like L.A.”

“I’m just going to be myself,” Odom said. “Everybody here has been so great and so welcoming. All I have to do is be Lamar – in the locker room, on the court and in the training room. That’s it. I’ve learned from the best, some of the top coaches, top players and top winners. I’ve learned from them. I’m going to pass some of that along to these guys as soon as we get in that locker room. There’s a certain mindset and a certain way that winners think, on and off the court.”

Alex Kennedy, HoopsWorld

Griffin Fueled By Playoff Defeat

Griffin says he’s been watching plenty of film from the team’s playoff elimination and the setback is fueling his motivation to help the team reach the next level.

“I watched a lot of film,” Griffin said during the team’s annual media day. “A lot of the games that were on my iPad throughout the whole year were the playoff games. A lot of the games we lost were the games I watched the most. For me that’s motivation.”

Griffin agreed with the assessment and believes the team’s depth will be the key.

“Absolutely,” Griffin said agreeing with Billups. “Our teams haven’t been incredibly deep in the past. This is only my third season so it’s definitely the deepest team I’ve been on. But hearing that from other guys is reassuring because Chauncey has been on some great teams. It’s exciting for me. It’s exciting to have these older guys. These guys have been through a lot.”

“I think we can play with anybody,” Griffin said. “I would never say we couldn’t beat a team and I really believe that. With our talent and our depth we can go toe-to-toe with whoever it is. We have the experience as well.”

Lang Greene, HoopsWorld
mkwest
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#45 » by mkwest » Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:25 pm

Blake Griffin: "Defensively I think we're further along than I thought we'd be at this point."

Eric Patten

After practice @RealLamarOdom said, "[Blake Griffin] understands the game and...what he needs to do. He’ll be a Hall of Famer one day"

Los Angeles Clippers
scratch21
Pro Prospect
And1: 24

Post#46 » by scratch21 » Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:42 pm

Craw is a 6th man. He should not start
TheNewEra
RealGM
And1: 10,409

Post#47 » by TheNewEra » Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:24 pm

Comments about defense are always a welcome from Blake just have to step it up from everyone
mkwest
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#48 » by mkwest » Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:55 pm

BG said he dropped a little body fat, and lost about 5 lbs over the offseason. "I normally play at about 258, I'm about 253 right now"

Eric Patten

@Scratch_21 Odom said his conditioning is not where he wants it to be yet, but camp will give him time to prepare for the season.

Eric Patten

Thanks Scratch :)

ODOM SPEAKS HIS MIND AFTER PRACTICE

On Blake Griffin developing as a jump shooter:

“It’s important for him [Griffin] to take them [jump shots], especially in this environment, in this atmosphere. Because it will help him, just the confidence from taking shots will help him on the free throw line as well; just having the threat. I can remember, Charles Barkley, at one point in his career used to get the ball off the glass, go coast-to-coast, one leg, two-hand dunks. Karl Malone, everything was inside, but later on their careers they started to establish a perimeter shot. I think if Blake could try to establish that earlier in his career, not only will he make himself better, but make his team better.”

“It just takes time. He’s great at being an athlete. He understands the game and he understands what he needs to do. He’ll be a Hall of Famer one day.”

On playing with Chris Paul and Chauncey Billups after lining up against them for most of his career:

“You know, I used to hate Chris Paul, but now I love him. I used to hate playing against Chauncey Billups. I remember one game we were playing against him, he hit like 10 threes in the second half or something like that, but when we went to the World Championships [in 2010] I loved him. You know, those relationships don’t carry on off the court that’s the beautiful thing about the league.”

On what made Paul get under his skin as opponent:

“The way he competes. He was what we would call an ‘M-Fer.’ If the ball was on the floor, he’d be diving, kicking, scratching, whatever he needs to do to win. Those are the guys you…hate ‘em.”

Eric Patten, Clippers.com
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
And1: 28,804

Post#49 » by og15 » Mon Oct 1, 2012 12:07 am

I like to hear about defense, I like to hear that a lot
mkwest
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#50 » by mkwest » Mon Oct 1, 2012 12:41 am

Blake Griffin, DeAndre Jordan work on their range

To shore up this problem, the Clippers hired renowned shooting coach Bob Thate, who has been working with Griffin and Jordan since June. Thate was the New Jersey Nets’ shooting coach from 2005 to 2008 and has worked with Jason Kidd and Vince Carter.

The first thing Thate did was breakdown both players’ shooting form before building it back up, which wasn’t an easy process.

“The first couple of weeks I didn’t like it at all,” Jordan said. “I’m going to be honest with you. I didn’t like it because I was too cramped in shooting the ball. But when he recorded it and I saw it, it looked like a good shot.

“Before when I would shoot the ball, I really didn’t have control of the ball. I thought I did, but he broke it down. The first two weeks I was taking the ball and putting it on my forehead just to get used to it. Now I’ve put everything together and I’m working with him every day.”

“A lot of times when I would shoot I would fade back a little bit unnecessarily and sometimes I would hang and keep the ball up high for a while and we’ve pretty much gotten rid of all that,” Griffin said. “Now it’s a matter of getting reps and shooting the same way every single time.”

Jordan also worked out with Clippers assistant coach Marc Iavaroni most of the summer on developing a more refined post game.

“I’ve worked on go-to moves and got as many reps as possible,” Jordan said. “Left-hand jumper, right-hand jumpers, counter moves. I really wanted to work on that just in case if I got the ball in the post. I really wanted to be a force in there for us this year.”

Arash Markazi, ESPN Los Angeles

DAY 2: DEFENSIVE PROGRESS

The team spent a majority of Saturday evening working on defense with players constantly talking and clapping up hustle plays. The same energy carried over to Sunday morning when they broke into small groups and rotated between three defensive drilling stations.

The most positive sign thus far, according to Griffin has been the level of communication between defenders.

“We had trouble at times [last season] communicating on rotations,” Griffin said Sunday. “The best part about this [year] is we’re having a full training camp to really get this down and not just two weeks or whatever it was last year.”

“We’ve got to work through a lot of stuff,” Del Negro said. “Mixing different lineups in, trying to see who works well together, and the chemistry, and just kind of building a foundation for what we want to do at both ends of the court.”

Bledsoe will likely start at point guard in Paul’s absence, with former Sixth Man of the Year Jamal Crawford, Hill, and Barnes all vying for playing time next to him. It helps that Crawford is more than capable of shifting down to play the point, and that starting small forward Caron Butler could also play shooting guard in certain situations.

Del Negro has said on several occasions that the team’s depth, and potential fight for playing time, is a “good problem to have.”

playaloc916
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,290

Post#51 » by playaloc916 » Mon Oct 1, 2012 1:22 am

Good to hear that DJ has been making improvements. He's had a lot of time to improve, so this year I hope we see dramatic improvement. He just needs to stick to his go to moves and keeps getting his reps in and he should be fine. But again, his most important role is to be the defensive anchor of the team. As long as he's doing that job, any sort of offense is an added bonus.

And I'm also really excited about this season too. I thought we had depth last year, but it was a bit lopsided due to having a lot of similar type players (ie undersized guards and undersized centers). Now we have more prototypical players, so the depth is even better than last year.
mkwest
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#52 » by mkwest » Mon Oct 1, 2012 2:07 am

This season, Griffin will have even more of a shooting interest

"It's not one of those things where people are going to be like, 'Oh, wow, it's completely different,'" Griffin said. "For me, it's much more compact than it was. I feel like there's less chance for error. But, still, I've got a lot more work to go."

He worked so hard to score down low, taking a physical pounding in the process.

A mid-range jumper, Clippers Coach Vinny Del Negro said, will give Griffin another weapon.

"Well, it opens up everything," Del Negro said. "Not only for him, but for everyone. There is the spacing factor and he doesn't have to take as much pounding."

But there is a more important factor for Griffin.

"I think his confidence is better," Del Negro said. "But it's not going to happen overnight. It's going to take some time. Everybody wants it now. But there's a process involved. He's putting in all the time and effort he can. You're going to see some more consistency there and improvement."

Brad Turner, LA Times

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4do2jwFPKa0[/youtube]
scratch21
Pro Prospect
And1: 24

Post#53 » by scratch21 » Mon Oct 1, 2012 5:06 am

all talk till the season
mkwest
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#54 » by mkwest » Mon Oct 1, 2012 11:21 pm

scratch21 wrote:all talk till the season

We'll get a look in a few days :D

Every Spur also mentioned the Clippers when talking about the best teams in the West. They have a ton of respect for them.

Yannis Koutroupis (HoopsWorld)

DAY 3: GRANT HILL SURPRISED BY JORDAN AND BLEDSOE

Grant Hill would be hard-pressed to be caught off guard on the basketball court.

The 17-year veteran and two-time NCAA champion has been through practically any situation imaginable, so on Monday morning when Hill said the two most surprising players thus far in camp were youngsters Eric Bledsoe and DeAndre Jordan, the comment carried some weight.

“I really like Bledsoe,” Hill said following the first of two practices Monday. “I think his ability to attack the screen-and-roll. I think his decision making, we all know he’s a great athlete, but he looks like he’s put a lot of time in working on that this offseason.

DeAndre, I didn’t realize he could post like that, but he’s really been catching the ball in the post, being really decisive, making really powerful moves, the right read. I didn’t recall him posting a lot last year, but it looks like he’s worked a lot at that and he’s confident and the team has confidence in him.”

Clippers head coach Vinny Del Negro sees Hill as an integral part of that.

“He’s been very healthy and we’ve just got to manage his minutes,” Del Negro said. “He is just such a valuable, versatile player. He’s a winner.”

After spending the previous five seasons with the Suns, the 39-year-old Hill now finds himself as a somewhat of a new kid.

“The guys who have been here have been really good to us new guys, so it’s been comfortable,” Hill said. “We’ve only been together for a short while, but you’re starting to get to know the guys and have fun with each other. I think that’s big, it carries over onto the court and just helps build that trust.”

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04cs4bYL5iU[/youtube]
mkwest
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#55 » by mkwest » Tue Oct 2, 2012 12:17 am

Barnes happy to be back on court

"I'm a competitor," Barnes said. "I'm looking forward to getting a chance to guard Kobe Bryant for real again instead of in practice. I wish those guys nothing but the best, but I'm happy to be here."

Before Barnes signed his one-year deal with the Clippers, he called Blake Griffin to make sure there was no lingering hard feelings from last year when Barnes pushed Griffin to the floor during a preseason game and called him a "flopper."

"I look at my teammates like my family," said Barnes, who worked out this offseason with MMA fighter John Marsh. "Like sticking up for Steve Blake two years ago when Jason Terry went at him. I look at my teammates as my family and I'll do anything for my family. That's the discussion Blake and I had when I signed here. People thought we had a beef, but we didn't have a beef. I just explained to him how I look at the game and approach the game and he understood that. I let him know that I'm his teammate now and people aren't going to take him down and getting away with it anymore."

Arash Markazi, ESPN Los Angeles
mkwest
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#56 » by mkwest » Tue Oct 2, 2012 3:09 am

mkwest
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#57 » by mkwest » Tue Oct 2, 2012 3:16 am

Vinny Del Negro to me after practice today: "You were probably with the Lakers. Kissing their --- as normal."

Arash Markazi

Huge props to Vinny for this :D I cannot stand Arash.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7STS43Orso[/youtube]

DAY 3: EVENING UPDATE

The Clippers wrapped up their second two-a-day practice of training camp with a little more than an hour of work Monday evening.

They broke into positional shooting drills, which consisted of three stations spread between their two practice courts. Blake Griffin, Matt Barnes, and Lamar Odom were together in one group taking a variety of jump shots from the baseline and elbow areas.

Later, the team ran through brief offensive sets, worked on defensive rotations in five-man units, and finished with free throws, per their usual routine.

“We’re just going to build every day,” Clippers head coach Vinny Del Negro said. “It’s all got to come together. It’s great on paper, but it’s all got to come together as a team.”

The Clippers are back on the practice court tomorrow morning before Wednesday’s open scrimmage at USC’s Galen Center.

mike3
Sixth Man
And1: 120

Post#58 » by mike3 » Tue Oct 2, 2012 6:34 am

First look at Griffins 'new' jumpshot in that video, didn't look a whole lot different but I didn't expect it to. It did look more fluent and not have the bump in it though.

Lamar seems happy with us, looks like he's enjoying his time so far. Good to see for him. Now for him just to get back in shape.
kombayn
Assistant Coach
And1: 746

Post#59 » by kombayn » Tue Oct 2, 2012 6:51 am

I really like what I see out of training camp right now, our roster is a HUGE upgrade from last year and Vinny seems to have everyone's backing on the team right now. I think Neil Olshey may have been a problem towards the end, BG backed-up Gary Sacks and it seems that the Clippers front-office really looked for our players opinions in roster moves. Right now, our team is deep and ready for any kind of injury and Vinny has all the pressure on him to make them win but the thing is he's winning them around, he's in the Spoelstra area because of the talent he has to work but no-one will call for Spoelstra head now that they've won and Vinny showed he still had the team after the crazy losing streak also won the series against the Grizzlies in a Game 7 on the road. I'm believing in him now after that comment to Markazi about the Lakers too. Only negative is Lamar Odom right now, I don't really expect anything out of him until the Christmas break because he's extremely out-of-shape right now.
mttwlsn16
Head Coach
And1: 1,983

Post#60 » by mttwlsn16 » Tue Oct 2, 2012 5:26 pm

blake needs to go back to the buzzcut of the days at OK. not a fan of the mini fire-fro hes been sporting.

Return to Los Angeles Clippers