Re: Media Day Friday 9/28, Training Camp begins Saturday 9/2 

Post#61 » by TheNewEra » Tue Oct 2, 2012 6:09 pm

Rep for Vinny holding the team down.
jflipclip
Pro Prospect
And1: 4

Post#62 » by jflipclip » Tue Oct 2, 2012 6:48 pm

Odom really does look fat. I like Hill's comments because those two (Bledsoe & DJ) are two players I expect a lot from. I really like Bledsoe and hope he plays a big role this year.
thanumba2clippersfan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 700

Post#63 » by thanumba2clippersfan » Tue Oct 2, 2012 11:19 pm

OK then I guess it wasn't just me who thought Odom looked big. Seeing all the players at the training facility has me excited for the up coming season. We really have a talented roster and I can't wait to see us play.
I've been an LA Clipper fan since 1998 and that will never change. I hate our new logo and jerseys!
mkwest
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,728

Post#64 » by mkwest » Tue Oct 2, 2012 11:58 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVqY7Eo7UnQ[/youtube]

DeAndre on discovering importance of patience: "As long as I take my time and don't rush [things], I know I'm going to get something good."

Eric Patten

JORDAN COULD PLAY MORE LATE IN GAMES

As last season progressed, Jordan, who started 77 games for the Clippers (66 regular season, 11 postseason), was relegated to 5.5 minutes per game in the fourth quarter, including 24 occasions when he did not appear. According to both Jordan and Head Coach Vinny Del Negro, this was primarily due to Jordan’s shortcomings at the free throw line where he shot 52.5% in the regular season and 33.3% in the playoffs.

“When you’re playing the top teams and you’re in the playoffs, possessions are huge,” Del Negro said after Tuesday morning’s practice. “If teams are going to foul us, we have to make them pay at the free throw line. And if you’re not able to knock free throws down on a consistent basis then it’s going to change things. We need DeAndre out there and Blake [Griffin] and really all of our big guys on the defensive end to control the glass and get possessions back for us.”

Jordan said the addition of Assistant Coach Bob Ociepka is also making a difference.

“We’ve got a new defensive coach Bobby O. He’s great and I love him,” Jordan said. “He’s teaching us some new schemes and he’s going to help us out a lot.”

Still, the real game-changer could be Jordan.

“Everybody wants to play late, everybody wants to be clutch,” Jordan said. “I feel like my ability to play defense [can impact the game] because you have to get stops. We have a lot of scorers, but when it comes down to it you have to get stops. Free throw [shooting] was a big deal and I worked on it this summer. This year I’m feeling confident that I can play down the stretch and help us get wins.”

Eric Patten, Clippers.com

ODOM LOOKING TO BOUNCE BACK

“We expect him to be the player that he was throughout his career,” Sacks said. “He’s a guy I think can be a Sixth Man of the Year again. He’s done that and he’s versatile and he can do a lot of things on the basketball court that can help us. We didn’t have that versatility in the frontcourt last year. I expect him to be every bit as good as he’s ever been and I think he’s going the fit in with our team, with these guys perfectly.”The Clippers are counting on Odom, who has one year remaining on his contract, to regain a semblance of his former self. Vice President of Basketball Operations Gary Sacks, who along with Head Coach Vinny Del Negro and President Andy Roeser helped orchestrate the deal to bring Odom back to Los Angeles, believes Odom will.

Odom expects the same. “People ask me, what Lamar are we going to get, the Lamar in Dallas or the Lamar who put like a six or seven or eight year string of consistent ball together?

“[You’re going to get] the Lamar who put the six or seven or eight year string of good ball together,” Odom answered. “I mean, I’ve played well more than I’ve played bad, but people tend to remember what happened last.”

Lawler, who has known Odom for more than a dozen years, added: “He (Odom) will be the brightest light in the locker room. I virtually guarantee he will be the most popular player in there amongst his teammates. He’s a wonderful guy, so I was thrilled when I heard they (the Clippers) were bringing him back.”

Injured Clippers guard Chauncey Billups is practicing patience

He has been excited to join Chris Paul in the backcourt with the starting team at practice during some drills and offensive sets. However, Billups has been low-key about this because he knows he isn't ready for full contact because he's not fully recovered from left Achilles' tendon surgery.

"I think if I was younger it would be tougher," said the 36-year-old Billups. "But I'm not fighting myself off at all because I know how severe this injury really was. And I'm not going to compromise all the hard work that I've put in all summer ... to get back a week earlier."

"I'm kind of at the end the last phase of my rehab, which is the explosive type of stuff," Billups said. "So I'm not quite where I need to be."

Billups said he is running full speed and cutting. He just can't explode the way he wants.

"We've got some guys that know how to play," Hill said. "It's sort of a new environment for all of us with the concepts. We've kind of seen them all before, done them all before. But, yeah, for a team that has a bunch of new faces and [reserve] unit, for the most part, us coming together for the first time, it's going better than I thought at this point."

Brad Turner, LA Times

jflipclip
Pro Prospect
And1: 4

Post#65 » by jflipclip » Wed Oct 3, 2012 1:37 am

I'm liking this whole DJ progressing. I don't want to get my hopes up too high, but everything sounds good. Usually big guys that get a big contract, you don't hear this type of thing coming from them. Remember, DJ was the third guy painted on that skyscraper mural-- it means the organization invests and believes that he may play an integral part of this team's future. Looks like he's buying into it too. Let's just wait and see if it all plays out in the regular season. =]
mkwest
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#66 » by mkwest » Wed Oct 3, 2012 8:55 am

Jordan becoming an offensive force

PLAYA VISTA, Calif. -- DeAndre Jordan's improvement over the offseason has been so noticeable during the first few practices of the Los Angeles Clippers' training camp that it usually finds its way into every post-practice conversation with a player or coach without even bringing it up.

"I saw DeAndre Jordan jump over some people today," Lamar Odom said after the first practice.

"I didn't know DeAndre had those kinds of post moves," Grant Hill said after the second practice.

"DeAndre looks incredible," Matt Barnes said after the fourth practice.

Developing Jordan's post game and improving his free throws were the central theme of his exit meeting with Clippers coach Vinny Del Negro, who worked with Jordan this offseason along with assistant coach Marc Iavaroni and shooting coach Bob Thate.

Iavaroni simply wanted Jordan to develop one or two go-to moves in the post and counters to those moves. He wanted him to be good enough offensively that teams had to at least respect his 6-foot-11, 265-pound frame when the Clippers had the ball.

"There are still some things I want to improve on, but I feel like I have improved tremendously from last year," Jordan said. "Whenever I get the ball in the post, I'm confident down there. As long as I take my time and don't rush it, I feel like I'm going to get something good. I'm going to score, I'm going to get fouled or I'm going to make the right play to somebody else. When my teammates give me the ball now that makes me even more confident."

Arash Markazi, ESPN Los Angeles

jflipclip wrote:I'm liking this whole DJ progressing. I don't want to get my hopes up too high, but everything sounds good. Usually big guys that get a big contract, you don't hear this type of thing coming from them. Remember, DJ was the third guy painted on that skyscraper mural-- it means the organization invests and believes that he may play an integral part of this team's future. Looks like he's buying into it too. Let's just wait and see if it all plays out in the regular season. =]

I hope that his offseason work translates. The better that he plays, the better the team can be. Defense, rebounding/boxing out and free-throws are the most important things that we have needed for him to improve, but a more reliable offense changes the game. If he can manage to hit his free-throws, then he's going to get more minutes. Per 36, he's been averaging around 10 pts which is decent, but he's only been playing 27-28 mpg. If he can hit more free-throws that it's going to increase his average by default. If he can add a few more points with whatever he's learned over the summer, then it's possible that he could put up something like 11-12 a game. It's a big if, but I hope that he surprises us.

I'm looking forward to seeing any potential changes, and just hope that he's able to take a step or two forward from last season.
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
And1: 28,804

Post#67 » by og15 » Wed Oct 3, 2012 6:49 pm

There's way to much good news about DJ, kinda surprised. I mean I expected improvement, but seems like he really locked himself in the gym. Also like DJ's comments about the new defensive coach, that's definitely a need for the team.
TheNewEra
RealGM
And1: 10,409

Post#68 » by TheNewEra » Wed Oct 3, 2012 7:16 pm

the defensive coach were my favorite comments as well love someone came in with fresh ideas.
mkwest
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#69 » by mkwest » Fri Oct 5, 2012 12:36 am

DAY 6: TEAM PICKS UP WHERE IT LEFT OFF FROM SCRIMMAGE

The team spent a portion of the morning watching film from last night’s open scrimmage and followed up with walk-throughs. Their 5-on-0 offensive sets appeared more precise than previous days, perhaps a carryover from Wednesday. They also went through rebounding drills, inbounds plays from underneath their own basket, and spent a brief period on fast-break offense and defense.

Practice ended with two five-minute scrimmages with the clock stopping on each dead ball. Here are a few highlights:

-Blake Griffin knocked down two jumpers from outside of 18 feet in the early going.

-Travis Leslie continued his strong play from last night, making a 3-pointer and a handful of jumpers, including a leaner along the left baseline and coast-to-coast floater over DeAndre Jordan.

-Jamal Crawford made a contested 3-pointer off a feed from Lamar Odom and dished an assist to Caron Butler with an extra pass after Odom initiated the offense.

-Willie Green converted a corner 3-pointer off a nice drive and kick by Eric Bledsoe.

“Chauncey practiced a little bit more today,” he said. “He actually went through a couple of contact drills that we had. Not long, but he was in more than he was in in the past.”

“He feels good,” Del Negro said. “He’s moving good. You can be in condition, but the body contact and the up and down, he’s got to get in shape. He’s got plenty of time. And as long as he keeps on not having any setbacks and keeps working forward, he’s going to be in good shape.”

og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers

Post#70 » by og15 » Fri Oct 5, 2012 1:20 am

Travis Leslie sighting, lol. I wonder how his development is going
mkwest
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#71 » by mkwest » Fri Oct 5, 2012 5:24 am

BLEDSOE GAINING VALUABLE EXPERIENCE

“You know he’s so athletic, but he’s taking a little more control of the offense, kind of being a little more vocal which is good to see,” Clippers head coach Vinny Del Negro said. “And it’s just because he understands things a little bit better and he’s a year older. I expect him to use his great athleticism and continually grow as a player especially with all the experience we have around.”

Six days into camp, Bledsoe has played mostly with the starting unit, filling in for superstar Chris Paul while Paul rehabilitates his surgically repaired right thumb.

Paul believes the experience of getting repetitions with the starting unit will only accelerate Bledsoe’s development. “He has to communicate a little bit more [playing with the starters]. And he shows his growth because out there now it’s his team, so he has to run the team and it should be that way.”

Bledsoe said this summer was an opportunity to grow individually and helped him go into the new season with confidence. “Especially coming off last season, I think I showed a little of what I can do, so they [the coaching staff] expect more out of me this upcoming season. I’ve just got to be real confident, running the team with the veteran guys that we have. And everybody can play, so it’s just a matter of running the team as best as I can.”

mkwest
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#72 » by mkwest » Fri Oct 5, 2012 5:32 am

Clippers' Blake Griffin not motivated by ESPN ranking

Going into this season Griffin had several goals in mind to improve his game.

He's heard the criticism that his jump shot must improve, that he relies on his athleticism too much to score and that he should be a better defender.

Griffin worked on all those skills over the summer.

He showed a better awareness on defense during the Clippers' scrimmage Wednesday night, constantly talking with center DeAndre Jordan on defense about their assignments and giving the extra effort.

"I get the most satisfaction out of doing things people say I can't do," Griffin said. "So, as you can imagine, that's a lot. So I've got a lot of motivation right now."

Griffin, 23, smiled.

Clippers Coach Vinny Del Negro said guard Chauncey Billups was able to participate more during Thursday's practice.

Billups, still recovering from left Achilles' tendon surgery, was able to do more on the court. The team hopes Billups can play by sometime in December.

"He actually went through a couple of contact drills," Del Negro said. "Not long, but he was in more than he was in the past. He's moving good. As long as he keeps on not having any set-backs and just keeps working forward, which he has been doing, he's going to be, I think, in good shape."

Brad Turner, LA Times
corona
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 234

Re: Training Camp News 

Post#73 » by corona » Fri Oct 5, 2012 5:52 pm

will the preseason game on saturday be televised locally for you guys?
illastrate
Starter
And1: 629

Post#74 » by illastrate » Fri Oct 5, 2012 6:33 pm

corona wrote:will the preseason game on saturday be televised locally for you guys?

Yes, on Prime Ticket
scratch21
Pro Prospect
And1: 24

Post#75 » by scratch21 » Fri Oct 5, 2012 6:54 pm

illastrate wrote:
corona wrote:will the preseason game on saturday be televised locally for you guys?

Yes, on Prime Ticket

hell yeah
thanumba2clippersfan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 700

Post#76 » by thanumba2clippersfan » Sat Oct 6, 2012 12:34 am

I can't wait, it will be awesome to see the guys play.
I've been an LA Clipper fan since 1998 and that will never change. I hate our new logo and jerseys!
mkwest
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#77 » by mkwest » Sat Oct 6, 2012 3:10 am

DAY 7: CLIPPERS RUN TOWARDS PRESEASON DEBUT

Head Coach Vinny Del Negro implored the Clippers to “push the ball” during part of Friday’s practice at their Playa Vista Training Facility.

They were working on fast-break offense and defense when Del Negro reminded all of his players that the Denver Nuggets, the top-scoring team in the NBA last season and the Clippers’ opponent in Saturday’s preseason opener in Las Vegas, would be eager to push the tempo.

The emphasis on the transition game was part of a two-hour workout, where the Clippers walked through a variety of offensive sets, discussed defending situational inbounds passes, and continued working on dribble handoffs, screen and roll defense, and live 5-on-5 scenarios in the half court.

Head Coach Vinny Del Negro implored the Clippers to “push the ball” during part of Friday’s practice at their Playa Vista Training Facility.

They were working on fast-break offense and defense when Del Negro reminded all of his players that the Denver Nuggets, the top-scoring team in the NBA last season and the Clippers’ opponent in Saturday’s preseason opener in Las Vegas, would be eager to push the tempo.

The emphasis on the transition game was part of a two-hour workout, where the Clippers walked through a variety of offensive sets, discussed defending situational inbounds passes, and continued working on dribble handoffs, screen and roll defense, and live 5-on-5 scenarios in the half court.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9c3zkC_qhA[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJT-5Go4NV8[/youtube]
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers

Post#78 » by og15 » Sat Oct 6, 2012 3:51 am

Aww, so cute, lol, but that's nice of them, and Hill is old.

They killed the poor staff member
mkwest
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Re: Training Camp/Preseason News 

Post#79 » by mkwest » Mon Oct 8, 2012 2:39 am

CLIPPERS OFF TO CHINA

They will begin in Beijing, with a planned visit to the Great Wall, an NBA Cares activity, and a number of other events throughout their nearly four days in the city.

Caron Butler, who has been to China seven times including a trip this summer to help deliver hearing aids to upwards of 7,000 hearing impaired children and adults, talked about he’s looking forward to the historic Chinese capital. “The culture was unbelievable, going to sightsee and going to the Great Wall, going to different Emperor’s tombs and things like that; also trying different foods. I mean, it was pretty spicy but it was something different and something that I actually enjoyed and liked. I just loved the cultural experience.”

There may be time to shop, visit the Bund or the Forbidden City, or sample the cuisine, but it will be few and far between. Considering the tightly booked schedule, days will most certainly not be wasted. The Clippers practice on all of their off-days except two, both reserved for travel, and will conduct shoot-arounds prior to each game.

Even from a basketball perspective, the trip seems meaningful for the organization.

Asked what it says about the Clippers to play twice nearly 7,000 miles away, guard Jamal Crawford said, “I think it shows that we’re exciting, that we’re a team on the rise, that we’re serious about winning. If you look at the coaching staff and the great summer we’ve had, along with the superstar players we have here, it just shows that this organization is definitely on the rise.”

Clippers waived Courtney Fortson and Chris Johnson. The roster stands at 18.

og15 wrote:Aww, so cute, lol, but that's nice of them, and Hill is old.

They killed the poor staff member

lol
mkwest
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Re: Training Camp/Preseason News 

Post#80 » by mkwest » Tue Oct 9, 2012 6:23 am

CLIPPERS ARRIVE IN CHINA

BEIJING–A crowd of fans and media awaited the Clippers as the team exited the terminal at Beijing’s international airport Monday evening in advance of the 2012 NBA China Games.

The greeting of camera flashes and gawking passers-by was preceded by a nearly 14-hour flight that arrived around 6:30 p.m. local time. The team and a large contingent of family members and Clippers staff were escorted through a vacant terminal before passing through customs and boarding charter buses next to a line of dozens of taxis.

To little surprise, almost everyone in the traveling party appeared groggy. The Clippers opened their exhibition season Saturday night with a 106-104 loss to the Denver Nuggets in Las Vegas. Fewer than 24 hours later they were halfway across the world.

After arriving at the hotel the group attended a dinner buffet in a ballroom upstairs from the lobby with choices of steak, chicken, and fish as main-course options. Most of the players retired to their rooms shortly thereafter.

The team is expected to visit the Great Wall Tuesday following their morning practice. They play the defending champion Miami Heat in their second exhibition game of the preseason on Thursday at MasterCard Center.

CLIPPERS IN CHINA: PAUL CLEARED FOR FULL-CONTACT

BEIJING–Clippers guard Chris Paul was cleared for full-contact participation before Tuesday morning’s practice at MasterCard Center.

“Chris practiced today pretty much the whole practice that obviously changes things when he’s out there,”

Clippers head coach Vinny Del Negro said. "He played well. He’s just got to get in better game condition. He’s been out for a while, but there’s no question he’s a factor when he’s out there no matter what kind of shape he’s in.”

Paul has been sidelined since August after undergoing surgery to repair a torn ligament in his right thumb. Although he has gradually taken part in team workouts over the last two weeks, he has been limited to walkthroughs and non-contact situations.

“It felt great [to practice]," Paul said. "I actually felt like I was part of the team. I was a little winded out there, but it felt good to get back out there and get in the mix.

“I felt fine because I haven’t done anything for so long. I’m pretty well rested, so I was excited to get out there and play.”

Paul isn't expected to play on Thursday, but nothing has been said to imply that he would also miss Sunday's game. He has to work himself into game shape for all the scrimmages that he has missed out on, but it's great news that he's totally cleared for full contact participation. Even if he misses both games against the Heat, he should be available to play in most of the remaining preseason games.

As mentioned on the broadcast of the Nugget game, Hill will not likely see any action until the final 3-4 preseason games. He's not injured, just being preserved.

Return to Los Angeles Clippers