Re: Selby, Beal or Waiters 

Post#22 » by King d » Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:07 pm

Super Selby wrote:both are below average at this moment

LeBosh Wade
Banned User
And1: 4

Post#23 » by LeBosh Wade » Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:14 am

Super Selby wrote:1. Selby is the best out of the three in creating his own shot with his one on one ability. He's the best athlete, the best at getting to the rim and has the best jumpshot by far.

2. Beal
3. Waiters

:lol: :lol:
stay out of this thread if you don't want your feelings hurt
beal's jumper destroys selbys and waiters is the better athlete and better at getting to the rim
ManualRam
RealGM
And1: 2,748

Post#24 » by ManualRam » Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:25 pm

LeBosh Wade wrote:
Super Selby wrote:1. Selby is the best out of the three in creating his own shot with his one on one ability. He's the best athlete, the best at getting to the rim and has the best jumpshot by far.

2. Beal
3. Waiters

beal's jumper destroys selbys and waiters is the better athlete and better at getting to the rim

You are wrong on all accounts.
selby's jumper is better than the other 2. Selby is the best athlete out of the bunch and has the quickest first step.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
King d
Banned User
And1: 40

Post#25 » by King d » Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:17 am

ManualRam wrote:
LeBosh Wade wrote:

2. Beal
3. Waiters

selby's jumper is better than the other 2. Selby is the best athlete out of the bunch and has the quickest first step.

Beal is a better athlete than Selby. Just look at Beal's body... Way stronger, as quick as him running the open floor, pretty good vertical...

You are the one who is wrong here
ManualRam
RealGM

Post#26 » by ManualRam » Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:40 pm

King d wrote:
ManualRam wrote:
LeBosh Wade wrote: :lol: :lol:

Beal is a better athlete than Selby. Just look at Beal's body... Way stronger, as quick as him running the open floor, pretty good vertical...

You are the one who is wrong here

uh, no. just look at the way they move on the court. selby is quicker and more explosive with or without the ball.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
King d
Banned User

Post#27 » by King d » Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:32 pm

Diasagree, Selby is quicker with the ball because of his handles, but they are about the same speed without the ball, and the proof is their 3/4 sprint time from the combine. And like I said speed/quickness isn't the only thing in the athletic department
SmooveCam
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#28 » by SmooveCam » Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:53 pm

Selby is truely a hybrid of Monta and Eric Gordon..
ManualRam
RealGM

Post#29 » by ManualRam » Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:06 pm

King d wrote:Diasagree, Selby is quicker with the ball because of his handles, but they are about the same speed without the ball, and the proof is their 3/4 sprint time from the combine. And like I said speed/quickness isn't the only thing in the athletic department

yeah, his speed with the ball, running the wing in the open floor, his explosiveness in terms of first step, exploding off the floor, his body control and ability to change direction, etc.
i don't think it's even debatable. selby is a tremendous athlete. beal is average to slightly below average.
combine results are hardly "proof".

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36td_ejDRJ8[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEEGg_qIFvY&feature=relmfu[/youtube]
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
Charsace
Pro Prospect
And1: 44

Post#30 » by Charsace » Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:12 am

Some of you guys have to be joking. Beal is an average athlete for a guard. Selby is near elite. I'm not calling him elite yet because I have to see more of him in league play before saying he is. Injury and coaching is what killed his draft stock. Looking at Selby's skills you its not a stretch to say that he's in the same class talent wise as Beal. What keeps him back is the shooting and bbiq. As a ballhandler, slasher and creating space he's better than Beal.
SmooveCam
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#31 » by SmooveCam » Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:54 am

Charsace have you been paying attention? Selbys jumper is on another level. I would even say that his jumper is closer to being elite than his athletic ability.

Not to mention he and Eric Gordon are the same height.
RebelWithACause
Starter
And1: 537

Post#32 » by RebelWithACause » Sat Oct 6, 2012 9:48 pm

1. Selby
2. Beal
3. Waiters
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#33 » by Ruzious » Mon Oct 8, 2012 4:56 pm

Keshavarzi wrote:Selby? Really?? If were going off SL and charity games sure, I see where you're coming from. But he has done NOTHING significant in games that actually matter. Did nothing in College and has yet to do anything in the NBA. I just don't think he deserves to be mentioned with Beal or even Waiters at this point.

Yup, there are always going to be people who will never get that SL games mean virtually nothing.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
RebelWithACause
Starter

Post#34 » by RebelWithACause » Mon Oct 8, 2012 8:55 pm

Ruzious wrote:
Keshavarzi wrote:Selby? Really?? If were going off SL and charity games sure, I see where you're coming from. But he has done NOTHING significant in games that actually matter. Did nothing in College and has yet to do anything in the NBA. I just don't think he deserves to be mentioned with Beal or even Waiters at this point.

Yup, there are always going to be people who will never get that SL games mean virtually nothing.

Then College disqualifies as well!
Why? Because its just as different from a Nba game as a SL game ...
Kabookalu
RealGM
And1: 70,114

Post#35 » by Kabookalu » Mon Oct 8, 2012 9:21 pm

ElMaestro90 wrote:Then College disqualifies as well!

Not exactly. College ball is a lot more organized where the team has a unified goal to win whereas SL is a place where scrubs are out to accomplish their own agendas.
Read on Twitter
RebelWithACause
Starter

Post#36 » by RebelWithACause » Tue Oct 9, 2012 8:31 am

Choker wrote:
ElMaestro90 wrote:Then College disqualifies as well!

Not exactly. College ball is a lot more organized where the team has a unified goal to win whereas SL is a place where scrubs are out to accomplish their own agendas.

Yes of course you are right on that, but now i could argue that at least the talent level is superior which would even out the non organization of the game. Besides if a lot of guys battle for spots, they also have to show out on defense!

Besides Selby wasnt pushing anything on offense, he spot up a lot for open threes which translates to a real game!
Here he showed a very improved and a very good jumper, so that means something.
Also Selby did have good games in college prior to his injury.

Beal and Waiters didnt prove anything to this point as well. Their stats are weak when you look where they got drafted. They didnt win anything and their elite8 appearances on stacked teams is something that doesnt impress me that much!

Look out, Selby will be the best of the 3! He needs to get out of Memphis tho
Kabookalu
RealGM
And1: 70,114

Post#37 » by Kabookalu » Tue Oct 9, 2012 9:26 am

ElMaestro90 wrote:Yes of course you are right on that, but now i could argue that at least the talent level is superior which would even out the non organization of the game. Besides if a lot of guys battle for spots, they also have to show out on defense!

I don't agree with that. Talent level, yeah you could make that argument. Not all college players are good enough to even compete in the summer league while all summer league players have played college (okay not all but it's usually the case more often than not). However like I've said before summer league is just for players to get their own and everyone down to the players themselves know this. You'll never see friendships form beyond the handful of games teammates have played whereas there are always cases of college teammates keeping in touch 10 years later. No chemistry is formed between summer league players, coaches aren't obligated to build camaraderie between them, it's by all means just games to measure the capabilities of rookies and sophomore players individual talent.

Not that I'm using this argument against Selby, in fact I think Cleveland blew their pick hard by drafting Waiters and I don't see what's so special about Beal and I think Selby could break out eventually (probably not in Memphis, but his talent is amazing that if given the chance he could be a darn good player). Just saying though I'd give way more stock into college performances over summer league.

Read on Twitter
RebelWithACause
Starter

Post#38 » by RebelWithACause » Tue Oct 9, 2012 9:59 am

Choker wrote:
ElMaestro90 wrote:Yes of course you are right on that, but now i could argue that at least the talent level is superior which would even out the non organization of the game. Besides if a lot of guys battle for spots, they also have to show out on defense!

I don't agree with that. Talent level, yeah you could make that argument. Not all college players are good enough to even compete in the summer league while all summer league players have played college (okay not all but it's usually the case more often than not). However like I've said before summer league is just for players to get their own and everyone down to the players themselves know this. You'll never see friendships form beyond the handful of games teammates have played whereas there are always cases of college teammates keeping in touch 10 years later. No chemistry is formed between summer league players, coaches aren't obligated to build camaraderie between them, it's by all means just games to measure the capabilities of rookies and sophomore players individual talent.

Not that I'm using this argument against Selby, in fact I think Cleveland blew their pick hard by drafting Waiters and I don't see what's so special about Beal and I think Selby could break out eventually (probably not in Memphis, but his talent is amazing that if given the chance he could be a darn good player). Just saying though I'd give way more stock into college performances over summer league.

Yes you are right on that, usually I value college games more as well!

In this case I think its a little different tho!
You already said it, in the Summer League players showcase their individual abilities!
Consider we are talking about scoring combo guards here.
They were drafted because of their individual abilities (mostly scoring in their cases, well for Beal maybe a little more), so in that case I think Summer League is a good indication to see the players level of ability.

If their presumed strength, which is scoring, driving, dishing, shooting is not displayed at Summer League it is definitely something to worry about. (Waiters case)
If they really flurish in SL (like Selby) I think its a good indication for those scoring guards, that it could translate to the league, which is also kind of an ISO league!

Your thoughts on that?
GhostsOfGil
General Manager
And1: 899

Post#39 » by GhostsOfGil » Tue Oct 9, 2012 2:13 pm

SmooveCam wrote:Charsace have you been paying attention? Selbys jumper is on another level. I would even say that his jumper is closer to being elite than his athletic ability.

According to the combine, Eric Gordon measured 6-3 in shoes, 220 lbs, with a freakish 6-9 wingspan. Selby measured 6-3 185 with a 6-5 wingspan. Same height but lacks elite size in other areas.

Not trolling but what evidence do you have the Selby is an elite shooter? Based off his rookie campaign, the advanced stats tend to suggest the exact opposite. His eFG% on jump shots was a miserable 38%. Also for someone with elite athleticism he rarely got to the line and struggled finishing inside. I don't know much about his role in Memphis but I'm having trouble understanding why some project him higher than Waiters or Beal.

Outside his SL performance (which I admit, he was absolutely scorching) I'm not seeing much.
King d
Banned User

Post#40 » by King d » Tue Oct 9, 2012 6:18 pm

GhostsOfGil wrote:
SmooveCam wrote:Charsace have you been paying attention? Selbys jumper is on another level. I would even say that his jumper is closer to being elite than his athletic ability.

According to the combine, Eric Gordon measured 6-3 in shoes, 220 lbs, with a freakish 6-9 wingspan. Selby measured 6-3 185 with a 6-5 wingspan. Same height but lacks elite size in other areas.

Not trolling but what evidence do you have the Selby is an elite shooter? Based off his rookie campaign, the advanced stats tend to suggest the exact opposite. His eFG% on jump shots was a miserable 38%. Also for someone with elite athleticism he rarely got to the line and struggled finishing inside. I don't know much about his role in Memphis but I'm having trouble understanding why some project him higher than Waiters or Beal.

Outside his SL performance (which I admit, he was absolutely scorching) I'm not seeing much.

+1

I think probably 99.9% of the GM's out there would take Beal over Selby with their eyes closed.

Selby is an undersized 2 guard who can't play the PG and can't guard 2's because of his lack of strength/size, but for some reasons people here seem to forget that and just talk about his quickness and summer league shooting ability. But the reality is that this issue will keep Selby away from becoming a full time starter on basically every serious playoff team. Beal on the other end is a way better overall player and a guy who fits on EVERY system both offensively and defensively

It's going to be really funny to take a look back at this thread 2 or 3 years from now.

Return to NBA Draft