ImageImageImageImageImage

The Amazingly Sucky Andray Blatche Thread

Moderators: nate33, montestewart, LyricalRico

DMVleGeND
Sixth Man
And1: 194

Re: The Amazingly Sucky Andray Blatche Thread 

Post#1061 » by DMVleGeND » Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:50 am

I was on record for saying we should've kept Dray for at least one more yr. I still don't think he's in peak shape, but he's definitely in better shaped than he was last yr. He's running the floor better, and has look musch more energetic on the boards and on defense. Knowing this city, he's going to become great like every other young player on the Bullets/Wizards that was traded too early while young SMDH.
Formerly known as 7-day Dray
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,854

Post#1062 » by payitforward » Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:15 pm

I couldn't be happier for Dray, and I hope he tears it up all season.

On the other hand, if there was ever a guy you need to wait on before declaring victory, he is it! He's had two very good preseason outings. So far so good for him. Lets see what he's done when we look back a few months from now.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
fishercob
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#1063 » by fishercob » Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:30 pm

Whatever success Blatche experiences would be a testament to him finally growing up and in no way an indictment of this organization. That Blatche needed to face the specter of being out of the NBA to actually show up in shape is absurd.

This organization drafted him when nearly no one else would. They signed him to two contract extensions, the second of which was clearly undeserved, and in doing so made him rich beyond most of our imaginations. They gave him responsibility that belied an underlying trust and belief .

He paid them back by being a complete turd -- a fat, out of shape, entitled turd, who couldn't keep his mouth shut and was hellatiously bad on the court. He stole money from ownership and paying customers. The investment the team made in him, the patience, the saga, and ultimately the use of the amnesty all represent significant opportunity cost. Dray hurt this organization and the fan base. While I'm for second (fifth? eighth?) chances in the abstract, I cannot honestly say that I'm rooting for Blatche to succeed when he acted like such a **** here.
"Some people have a way with words....some people....not have way."
— Steve Martin
GhostsOfGil
General Manager
And1: 899

Post#1064 » by GhostsOfGil » Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:32 pm

DMVleGeND wrote:I was on record for saying we should've kept Dray for at least one more yr. I still don't think he's in peak shape, but he's definitely in better shaped than he was last yr. He's running the floor better, and has look musch more energetic on the boards and on defense. Knowing this city, he's going to become great like every other young player on the Bullets/Wizards that was traded too early while young SMDH.

There's no guarantee Blatche would have put it together this year. Being amnestied was the motivator that seemed to have started "project zero"

And lets be honest, even if he's motivated, theres absolutely no way he will sustains this level of play once he gets his next contract.
dlts20
RealGM
And1: 6,194

Post#1065 » by dlts20 » Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:45 pm

I said in this thread that when he plays well somehwere else that everyone will try to say that wouldnt have happened here. That's B.S.

People are trying to say the Amnesty motivated him. Its not true. He was motivted way before that. He had hit rock bottom. He lost his starting spot, he was booed non stop at home, and he was then sent home during the season.

I said late last year that for the 1st time ever, I heard Dray take responsibility and not put it on someone else. He did that. He lost 15 pounds before the end of the season. It had nothing to do with amnesty. He saw everyone sweating a guy like Nene who use to beg his teammates for help when Dray was killing him.

He was at the bottom. He was terrible. Atleast before he could still in his head justify things because he was putting up 16 & 8 still but last year he was just all out bad. He didnt wanna go through that again. Most of all I said that alot of things can happen to guys and they wont care but when you bench them, thats when they care.

There was no way in hell Dray was going to be on the bench all that time behind an All Star in AJ, become a talked about player, and then go back on the bench. No matter what, Flip wouldnt bench him. Dray doesnt think guys like JV, Book, KS are near as good as him. He wasnt going to let that happen again.

I said we shouldve kept him and not made that trade for sorry Ariza & Oak. Dray & Nene wouldve been a great frontline with KS & Book backing it up.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,968

Post#1066 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:46 pm

fishercob wrote:Whatever success Blatche experiences would be a testament to him finally growing up and in no way an indictment of this organization. That Blatche needed to face the specter of being out of the NBA to actually show up in shape is absurd.

This organization drafted him when nearly no one else would. They signed him to two contract extensions, the second of which was clearly undeserved, and in doing so made him rich beyond most of our imaginations. They gave him responsibility that belied an underlying trust and belief .

He paid them back by being a complete turd -- a fat, out of shape, entitled turd, who couldn't keep his mouth shut and was hellatiously bad on the court. He stole money from ownership and paying customers. The investment the team made in him, the patience, the saga, and ultimately the use of the amnesty all represent significant opportunity cost. Dray hurt this organization and the fan base. While I'm for second (fifth? eighth?) chances in the abstract, I cannot honestly say that I'm rooting for Blatche to succeed when he acted like such a **** here.

While I agree with this I can't help but remember when Flip Saunders became coach. Blatche was his next KG. Flip enabled some of the entitlement mentality IMO, fish. Ernie Grunfeld didn't exactly surround Blatche with talent,either. The Wizards organization did not draft beefy, scrappy players that might have helped Andray. (Millsap, Blair, Faried could have helped). They drafted or otherwise acquired McGee, Pecherov, Oberto, Armstrong, Yi Jianlian, and asked Andray to be the go to big.

Blatche is the one who lacked professionalism, partied, stayed out of shape but I also remember he was injured quite a bit and had no help. I think he will do much better post-Grunfeld, and in a supportive role off the bench with Brooklyn.
Bye bye Beal.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,069

Post#1067 » by nate33 » Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:20 pm

CCJ, you gotta stop making excuses for Blatche. Are you seriously trying to tell me that if we had drafted Faried instead of Vesely, it would have made the difference in Blatche's development? C'mon now. For years, Blatche played alongside hard working pros like Jamison, Haywood and Etan Thomas and none of their work ethic rubbed off on Blatche.

So, maybe the problem was that Blatche felt he should be "the man"? Okay, then. The Wizards tried that too. They traded away Jamison, Butler and Haywood and thrust Blatche into the primary option role while giving him a $30M extension. What did we get?

Neck fat.

I am absolutely certain that whatever success Blatche has in Brooklyn will be fleeting. Maybe he plays hard for a year or so, but sooner or later, the old 7-Layer Blatche will reassert himself.
fishercob
RealGM

Post#1068 » by fishercob » Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:31 pm

nate33 wrote: The Wizards tried that too. They traded away Jamison, Butler and Haywood and thrust Blatche into the primary option role while giving him a $30M extension. What did we get?

Neck fat.

:bowdown:
— Steve Martin
RealGM

Post#1069 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:35 pm

nate, I'm saying he should not be the scapegoat.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/WAS/2009.html
http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/WAS/2010.html
http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/WAS/2011.html

Washington was 19-63, 26-56, and 23-59 under Tapscott and Saunders. If you check each of those seasons and sort by minutes played, you will find out facts about this roster and not opinions. I know who played and how much. Blatche played behind Jamison for years and was thrust into a starting situation with a crappy frontcourt and for a crappy general manager. He is better off now as nearly all Ex-Wizards are.

When Flip came and players started being referred to as knuckleheads that bothered me. It is not right for the players to get the blame when coaching and management lacks insight.
Bye bye Beal.
fishercob
RealGM

Post#1070 » by fishercob » Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:46 pm

No one is scapegoating Blatche or saying our record has been bad solely because of Dray or even close. The overwhelming majority of Blatche's suckiness is on him. Frankly, espousing anything to the contrary is a disservice to Blatche and the hope that he might learn the true meaning of accountability.
— Steve Martin
RealGM

Post#1071 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:57 pm

I think he's got to mature and will do so with time. Lamar Odom is the best comparison I can think of to Blatche. Odom is more physically gifted but he has a similar work ethic IMO. If Blatche is around a Kobe-type leader he will follow and work hard IMO. I think Andray is going to be compelled to grow as a player. Environment matters a lot. As with Odom, I would only expect Blatche to do well under favorable circumstances to him. He's predictable IMO.

Avery Johnson is a great coach for Blatche. Fiery and supportive, always in your face-type coach. He will put the slightest drift to the right or left by Blatche on blast. Also, the guys Andray has to go against in practice are straight up beasts! Kris Humphries, Reggie Evans, Gerald Wallace all seem like they'd be at home in the WWE if they weren't ballers. Teletovic is an aggressive scorer, too. All those guys are going to bring out the best in Blatche, because one thing I do know is Blatche doesn't back down. As long as he is healthy he will do well in Brooklyn.

I think the Wizards focused on his faults in work ethic without considering their own lack of professional development and roster development. That young man is definitely shaky and flaky but what about the Wizards?

Whoever said give Blatche another year would have been a good idea, I agree. We saw his best and worst. He got in shape one time before and came back as Seven Day Dray. Seems to me with Nene his job would have been easier … and it would have become easier to trade Blatche once his image were rehabilitated. Instead, the Wizards forced a showdown, got no takers in trade because they played their hand, and per usual lost what might have been an asset for nothing.

I'm not saying Blatche isn't a bum at times at all ...
Bye bye Beal.
DMVleGeND
Sixth Man
And1: 194

Post#1072 » by DMVleGeND » Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:23 pm

GhostsOfGil wrote:
DMVleGeND wrote:I was on record for saying we should've kept Dray for at least one more yr. I still don't think he's in peak shape, but he's definitely in better shaped than he was last yr. He's running the floor better, and has look musch more energetic on the boards and on defense. Knowing this city, he's going to become great like every other young player on the Bullets/Wizards that was traded too early while young SMDH.

There's no guarantee Blatche would have put it together this year. Being amnestied was the motivator that seemed to have started "project zero"

And lets be honest, even if he's motivated, theres absolutely no way he will sustains this level of play once he gets his next contract.

I think he was motivated before he was amnestied though. Like dlts20 said, he had hit rock bottom - he got benched, was constantly being booed by his home fans, and was asked to take a leave for being out of shape. He started working out w/ John Lucas before he was amnestied. I think he would've been just as motivated if we kept him to show the fans that he's a changed man.
Formerly known as 7-day Dray
verbal8
General Manager
And1: 1,363

Post#1073 » by verbal8 » Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:26 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:I think he's got to mature and will do so with time. Lamar Odom is the best comparison I can think of to Blatche. Odom is more physically gifted but he has a similar work ethic IMO. If Blatche is around a Kobe-type leader he will follow and work hard IMO. I think Andray is going to be compelled to grow as a player. Environment matters a lot. As with Odom, I would only expect Blatche to do well under favorable circumstances to him. He's predictable IMO.

I think you are on to something with the Lamar Odom comparison. I think both players are dependent on the situation for whether they will be successful or not. I think Kwame Brown may be another situation with some parallels. I think Blatche like Kwame will be more successful trying to do the basics rather than be a superstar.

I don't think there is much evidence that there was any realistic chance of Blatche being successful for the Wizards. I hope the Nets are good situation for him and he manages to get his act together.
jivelikenice
Analyst
And1: 145

Post#1074 » by jivelikenice » Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:09 pm

DMVleGeND wrote:I think he was motivated before he was amnestied though. Like dlts20 said, he had hit rock bottom - he got benched, was constantly being booed by his home fans, and was asked to take a leave for being out of shape. He started working out w/ John Lucas before he was amnestied. I think he would've been just as motivated if we kept him to show the fans that he's a changed man.

Absolutely disagree. Dray has shown no mental toughness in his career. What do you think the result would have been the first time he was boo'd by the home team? he would have thrown in the towel and sulked. Dray needed a fresh start and he seems like he's doing ok. Do I think he'll make us regret the move? No. He's doing a lot of damage against players like Shavlick Randolph (who has no business on an NBA court). He'll benfit slightly by playing next to vets not doubt, but the main thing is over there he know he has to accept his role. He's not a primary option over Deron and JJ. Over here he would have tried to do too much on the perimeter and he'd be the same player.
jivelikenice
Analyst
And1: 145

Post#1075 » by jivelikenice » Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:11 pm

jivelikenice wrote:
DMVleGeND wrote:I think he was motivated before he was amnestied though. Like dlts20 said, he had hit rock bottom - he got benched, was constantly being booed by his home fans, and was asked to take a leave for being out of shape. He started working out w/ John Lucas before he was amnestied. I think he would've been just as motivated if we kept him to show the fans that he's a changed man.

Absolutely disagree. Dray has shown no mental toughness in his career. What do you think the result would have been the first time he was boo'd by the Verizon Center crowd? He would have thrown in the towel and sulked. Dray needed a fresh start and he seems like he's doing ok. Do I think he'll make us regret the move? No. He's doing a lot of damage against players like Shavlick Randolph (who has no business on an NBA court). He'll benfit slightly by playing next to vets not doubt, but the main thing is over there he know he has to accept his role. He's not a primary option over Deron and JJ. Over here he would have tried to do too much on the perimeter and he'd be the same player.
keynote
General Manager
And1: 2,587

Post#1076 » by keynote » Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:25 pm

Agree with the Blatche/Odom comparison. But note that Odom *still* isn't that mentally tough. In the right circumstances (i.e., HOF SG leader, uber-talented front court teammates, one of the best coaches of all time - *and* making Hollywood $ from a reality show), he did well. The minute he was moved to another team (and not a dysfunctional team, mind you; a championship team with a good coach and solid, professional teammates - well, and Vince Carter), he fell apart. He's that fragile.

I think Blatche is, too.
Always remember, my friend: the world will change again. And you may have to come back through everywhere you've been.
hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Post#1077 » by hands11 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:24 am

I can't believe what I am reading here.

It should be fun to go back into this thread and see what those who are taking shots at EG and the organization had to say about what to do with Dray.

I think we have a few posters who are Mitting the topic.
RealGM

Post#1078 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:50 am

keynote wrote:Agree with the Blatche/Odom comparison. But note that Odom *still* isn't that mentally tough. In the right circumstances (i.e., HOF SG leader, uber-talented front court teammates, one of the best coaches of all time - *and* making Hollywood $ from a reality show), he did well. The minute he was moved to another team (and not a dysfunctional team, mind you; a championship team with a good coach and solid, professional teammates - well, and Vince Carter), he fell apart. He's that fragile.

I think Blatche is, too.

keynote, Odom had a couple deaths to deal with as well as being traded by the Lakers.

http://articles.latimes.com/2011/aug/02 ... t-20110803

"Death always seems to be around me," Odom said in a low tone. "I've been burying people for a long time. When I had to bury my child, I probably didn't start grieving until a year and a half later.

"I think the effects of seeing [my cousin] die and then watching this kid die, it beat me down. I consider myself a little weak. I thought I was breaking down mentally. I'm doing a lot of reflecting."

Odom said he didn't eat much for "eight or nine days" after the events. All the while, thoughts of dark moments in his life consumed him.

His mother, Cathy Mercer, died of colon cancer when he was 12. His grandmother Mildred Mercer, who reared him, died in 2004. His son Jayden, not quite 7 months old, died of sudden infant death syndrome in his crib in 2006.

There are aunts, cousins and friends, Odom said, all of them "taken away from me."

As he began to soul-search yet again, Odom concluded, "I may need to see a psychologist."

When your kid, your close cousin, a pedestrian you watch die, your mom, and your grandmother who raised you all die--and you're married to a Kardashian but traded mid-tv ratings-- you might have a lot on your mind.

A lot of people judge, but a few actually take the time to empathize. I'm not perfect by a LONG shot, but I try to think of why people act the way they do.

His mom died when he was 12. I think Odom is a heck of a success story, all things considered.
Bye bye Beal.
keynote
General Manager
And1: 2,587

Post#1079 » by keynote » Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:47 am

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:
keynote wrote:Agree with the Blatche/Odom comparison. But note that Odom *still* isn't that mentally tough. In the right circumstances (i.e., HOF SG leader, uber-talented front court teammates, one of the best coaches of all time - *and* making Hollywood $ from a reality show), he did well. The minute he was moved to another team (and not a dysfunctional team, mind you; a championship team with a good coach and solid, professional teammates - well, and Vince Carter), he fell apart. He's that fragile.

I think Blatche is, too.

keynote, Odom had a couple deaths to deal with as well as being traded by the Lakers.

http://articles.latimes.com/2011/aug/02 ... t-20110803

When your kid, your close cousin, a pedestrian you watch die, your mom, and your grandmother who raised you all die--and you're married to a Kardashian but traded mid-tv ratings-- you might have a lot on your mind.

A lot of people judge, but a few actually take the time to empathize. I'm not perfect by a LONG shot, but I try to think of why people act the way they do.

His mom died when he was 12. I think Odom is a heck of a success story, all things considered.

None of this contradicts my point. He's been through some stuff, to be sure. But he's also fragile.

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/22 ... ght_Issues
Always remember, my friend: the world will change again. And you may have to come back through everywhere you've been.
hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Post#1080 » by hands11 » Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:50 am

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:I think he's got to mature and will do so with time. Lamar Odom is the best comparison I can think of to Blatche. Odom is more physically gifted but he has a similar work ethic IMO. If Blatche is around a Kobe-type leader he will follow and work hard IMO. I think Andray is going to be compelled to grow as a player. Environment matters a lot. As with Odom, I would only expect Blatche to do well under favorable circumstances to him. He's predictable IMO.

Avery Johnson is a great coach for Blatche. Fiery and supportive, always in your face-type coach. He will put the slightest drift to the right or left by Blatche on blast. Also, the guys Andray has to go against in practice are straight up beasts! Kris Humphries, Reggie Evans, Gerald Wallace all seem like they'd be at home in the WWE if they weren't ballers. Teletovic is an aggressive scorer, too. All those guys are going to bring out the best in Blatche, because one thing I do know is Blatche doesn't back down. As long as he is healthy he will do well in Brooklyn.

I think the Wizards focused on his faults in work ethic without considering their own lack of professional development and roster development. That young man is definitely shaky and flaky but what about the Wizards?

Whoever said give Blatche another year would have been a good idea, I agree. We saw his best and worst. He got in shape one time before and came back as Seven Day Dray. Seems to me with Nene his job would have been easier … and it would have become easier to trade Blatche once his image were rehabilitated. Instead, the Wizards forced a showdown, got no takers in trade because they played their hand, and per usual lost what might have been an asset for nothing.

I'm not saying Blatche isn't a bum at times at all ...

As someone who held out hope for Dray, here is the problem CCJ. That year for him to do it was last year. That was his audition. It was the make or break year for him to be a core player for the Wizards. He was given the green light. A starting slot. A captain spot and a microphone.

He didn't get it done. They held onto him and tried to get something in return. There were no takers. At some point, you just have to move on.

Wall and Beal are their core now and they wanted/needed to start surrounding him with a more mature team. Dray had his chance. They ran out of time waiting for him to get it while he was here.

Dray may be better where he is. But so are the Wizards. Same with the McGee trade.

The Wizards are now built more like the type of mature team they can bring in someone elses Dray or McGee types where they can get a fresh start. So far, its looking like Webster is one of those types. There will be more down the road.

Return to Washington Wizards