ImageImageImageImageImage

New Knicks Forum Guidelines: Questions and Concerns Thread

Moderators: mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule

NYK Mentality
Banned User
And1: 25

Re: New Knicks Forum Guidelines: Questions and Concerns Thre 

Post#121 » by NYK Mentality » Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:09 pm

EDIT: Beating a dead horse. Can't wait for opening night!
NBA Fan 1234
RealGM
And1: 28,365

Post#122 » by NBA Fan 1234 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:11 pm

Like I said in the other thread and PM -- let the mods decide. We do not feel like we need one, at the moment. We'll look at ways to improve the around the NBA thread...but as for a separate Lin thread - if we feel like it will hurt the forum more than it will help, then it's not happening.
NYK Mentality
Banned User

Post#123 » by NYK Mentality » Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:16 pm

Edit: Not worth the problems.
NBA Fan 1234
RealGM

Post#124 » by NBA Fan 1234 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:20 pm

NYK Mentality wrote:
Knickstape1214 wrote:Like I said in the other thread and PM -- let the mods decide. We do not feel like we need one, at the moment. We'll look at ways to improve the around the NBA thread...but as for a separate Lin thread - if we feel like it will hurt the forum more than it will help, then it's not happening.

So, what you're saying is that all Jeremy Lin talk needs to be in the "Around the NBA thread"? :lol:

The AROUND THE NBA THREAD is becoming nothing more than a Jeremy Lin thread. And no, if there was a Jeremy Lin thread, I wouldn't really post in it. But, since we don't have our own Lin thread? I'll contribute to the Jeremy Lin thread, I mean, the Around the NBA thread. Every post I make? Will be about Jeremy Lin. And, there will be alot of them. You, as the mods, will get your wish.

Sorry, but we deserve a Lin thread. Sucks we have to read Lin inside an NBA thread. Oh well. Have a good day.

:lol:

Yep to the first sentence.

Nobody is stopping people from turning the conversation elsewhere. We're allowing big topics to stay open as regular threads, so it's really only the game posts that are going in the Around the NBA Thread.

If you want to talk about Lin in that thread, go right ahead...but then you're only contributing to the "problem" you want to get rid of.
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 18,432

Post#125 » by j4remi » Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:21 pm

The around the nba thread has discussions about the Spurs, Lakers and Mavs within 3 or 4 pages of the more recent discussion which began after a Rockets game...If you really want to steer the Around the NBA thread in different direction, try making a few posts about subjects that interest you. Someone put one line mentioning Dirk's injury and brief discussion about a Mavericks rebuild ensued. It's not like you have nothing but Lin being discussed in the Around the NBA thread, plenty of subjects have been brought up.
Haliburton/Lewis Jr/Sasser
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Washington/Barnes/Crowder
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Ex: Samar, K. Diop, Spagnolo
Thugger HBC
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,760
Location: Defense+efficient offense=titles...what do you have?

Post#126 » by Thugger HBC » Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:26 pm

Piggybacking off KT, as of RIGHT NOW that is where NBA non Knicks will be, definitely as far as games and player assessment goes, with the emphasis of RIGHT NOW.

Will posters use it a defacto Lin thread? Maybe so, but that will be monitored as well. But as much as we all appreciated what Lin was a able to do, he is no longer a knick, therefore as this season began.....no Lin thread.

But as the season goes on like I said in a previous post, I do expect the NBA thread to be expanded.

But right now is the focus.

Sent from my Asus TR700T-B1-GR using Xparent Sky Blue Tapatalk 2
R. I. P. Mamba 8/23/78 - 1/26/20

Gone, but will never be forgotten
ORANGEandBLUE
RealGM
And1: 1,334

Post#127 » by ORANGEandBLUE » Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:50 pm

Thugger HBC wrote:Piggybacking off KT, as of RIGHT NOW that is where NBA non Knicks will be, definitely as far as games and player assessment goes, with the emphasis of RIGHT NOW.

Will posters use it a defacto Lin thread? Maybe so, but that will be monitored as well. But as much as we all appreciated what Lin was a able to do, he is no longer a knick, therefore as this season began.....no Lin thread.

But as the season goes on like I said in a previous post, I do expect the NBA thread to be expanded.

this seems to be implying that Lin discussion ultimately won't be tolerated on the around the nba thread either.

If your guys' position is that we can't talk about Lin on the Knicks board, just say so explicitly and don't beat around the bush.
NBA Fan 1234
RealGM

Post#128 » by NBA Fan 1234 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:51 pm

ORANGEandBLUE wrote:
Thugger HBC wrote:Piggybacking off KT, as of RIGHT NOW that is where NBA non Knicks will be, definitely as far as games and player assessment goes, with the emphasis of RIGHT NOW.

this seems to be implying that Lin discussion ultimately won't be tolerated on the around the nba thread either.

If your guys' position is that we can't talk about Lin on the Knicks board, just say so explicitly and don't beat around the bush.

Pretty sure you just completely misinterpreted what Thugger meant. I think by "monitored," he meant that we will be looking out for baiting and trolling posts.
Thugger HBC
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#129 » by Thugger HBC » Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:56 pm

Knickstape1214 wrote:
ORANGEandBLUE wrote:

Pretty sure you just completely misinterpreted what Thugger meant. I think by "monitored," he meant that we will be looking out for baiting and trolling posts.

Yep, that was the main point.

albert
Veteran
And1: 44

Post#130 » by albert » Sat Oct 27, 2012 4:01 pm

I can think of a short list of topics that may get their own thread outside the Around the NBA:

- major trade rumors / major trades
- major injuries
- suspensions / brawls
- All-Star game talk
- end of season awards
- playoff seeding speculation

That being said, we're all capable of using our discretion.
21shumpshumpst
Banned User
And1: 36

Post#131 » by 21shumpshumpst » Sat Oct 27, 2012 4:12 pm

albert wrote:I can think of a short list of topics that may get their own thread outside the Around the NBA:

- major injuries
- suspensions / brawls
- All-Star game talk
- end of season awards

I think this is a pretty good list.
Thugger HBC
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#132 » by Thugger HBC » Sat Oct 27, 2012 4:16 pm

albert wrote:I can think of a short list of topics that may get their own thread outside the Around the NBA:

- major injuries
- suspensions / brawls
- All-Star game talk
- end of season awards

Agreed.

Rasho Brezec
Knicks Forum Euro Scout
And1: 18,400

Post#133 » by Rasho Brezec » Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:41 pm

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1210010

I just don't understand why this kind of a thread has a place here. Nets have their own board and we get more threads about them than they do.
Thugger HBC
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#134 » by Thugger HBC » Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:47 pm

Rasho Brezec wrote:http://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1210010

I just don't understand why this kind of a thread has a place here. Nets have their own board and we get more threads about them than they do.

I edited it and put OT in front when I first saw it, haven't got the move function down yet, but truthfully hope it just falls off the page.

I agree it has zero to do with us as Knicks fans, but a fan posted it.

Knicksfan20
RealGM
And1: 5,759

Post#135 » by Knicksfan20 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:12 pm

NYK Mentality wrote:I respect the mods around here, have always respected others, just love to talk basketball. But some of these rules are becoming total horse spit, while also taking away the enjoyment of lots of posters.

So, this is a basketball site... Right? Correct me where I'm wrong.

But yet, we can't have daily gameday threads discussing other teams any longer? That's a joke. Last year, I loved not only creating NBA Gameday threads (per night) but also reading through them. They die down as soon as the games are over (makes for great talk heading into games) and dies down until the next gameday thread (outside of the Knicks) is created the following night.

For example.

12-22-2012:
Miami vs Chicago.
76ers vs Pacers.
Celtics vs Thunder.
Nets vs Lakers.

But instead, we're forced to read through a cluster mess with the "Around the league thread". It's not really right.

Question. This is an NBA site right? A Knicks fan message board, correct? Well, then, why not have an OFFICIAL off topic thread since we also have an official around the NBA thread as well?

We wanna talk basketball outside of the Knicks, fine. But only do so inside of a cluster thread of a mess called "Around the NBA".

Then, why aren't all of these OT Threads forced to become one? What's fair is fair right? I'm here to talk basketball. Not OFF TOPIC stuff. Why not have an OFFICIAL Off-Topic forum? It's been done to basketball threads around here after all. You wanna talk Off Topic stuff? Fine. But do so inside of an official off topic thread. No?

I can't talk Jets football here, because... Well, RealGM has a Jets site, right? Well, then, why do we have 10 Off Topic threads on the first page here on the Knicks site?

OT: Bk Nets Apathy
OT: phones
OT: Fish oil treatment for severe brain injuries
OT Man attacked by employees at a Brooklyn 7-11
OT: J Crawford admits he has never worked on his game
OT:Man Wanted To Blow Up Federal Reserve & Kill Obama.
OT: Brooklyn Boxing-Showbox 10-20
OT: Lakers eye LBJ in two years?
OT: Lakers eye LBJ in two years?

Etc, etc.

But yet, we can't also talk about the Jets amongst other Knick fans? All because we already have a Jets site on RealGM? Well, then, please explain why all of these OT threads are allowed on our Knicks front page?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't we already have an Off Topic forum here on RealGM?

viewforum.php

There it is.

So... We can have all these off topic threads while threads such as

Wizards @ Cavs
Celtics @ Heat
Mavs @ Lakers

No longer deserve there own gameday threads come opening night of the 2012 NBA season?

So instead, posters, such as myself, when trying to discuss these games will be forced to read posters still arguing about what happened three days ago inside the "ALL AROUND THE NBA LEAGUE" Thread?

I don't agree that every NBA topic of discussion, outside of the Knicks, should be force fed down our throats with an "offical NBA thread". If Knick fans feel like talking about the top 10 NBA coaches? Deserves it's own thread. If this fan base wants to talk NBA rookies... It deserves it's own thread. If we feel like talking about games (and only games) per night... We deserve our own thread.

But instead, we have 10 off topic threads on the first page, of an NBA/Knicks message board. A little hypocritical, no?

Nailed it. Great post. Agree with everything you said here.
ORANGEandBLUE
RealGM
And1: 1,334

Post#136 » by ORANGEandBLUE » Sun Oct 28, 2012 3:26 pm

Latest dwill/lin thread is a great example of why the recent over-modding and backseat modding is a problem. Why was that thread derailed? Because every other post was about whether the previous post was sufficiently relevant/on-topic/non-baiting. It's these 'meta-discussions' that derail threads. And the culprits are the people who want the threads locked in the first place.

Now I recognize that mods need to keep things on-topic, but perhaps the way to do it is through PM's that don't clutter the threads?
Rasho Brezec
Knicks Forum Euro Scout
And1: 18,400

Post#137 » by Rasho Brezec » Sun Oct 28, 2012 3:34 pm

Nets threads are the problem. For some reason, people here are insecure and think we need to compare themselves to them and follow every move they do or every word one of their players say. It's tiresome and really silly. I bet all the 5 posters on the Nets board are laughing at us everytime a thread about their team pops up.
Thugger HBC
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#138 » by Thugger HBC » Sun Oct 28, 2012 3:37 pm

Rasho Brezec wrote:Nets threads are the problem. For some reason, people here are insecure and think we need to compare themselves to them and follow every move they do or every word one of their players say. It's tiresome and really silly. I bet all the 5 posters on the Nets board are laughing at us everytime a thread about their team pops up.

I think you just hit the nail on the head.

And you had an excellent point the other day, which i wanted to commend you on.

Thugger HBC
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#139 » by Thugger HBC » Sun Oct 28, 2012 3:46 pm

ORANGEandBLUE wrote:Latest dwill/lin thread is a great example of why the recent over-modding and backseat modding is a problem. Why was that thread derailed? Because every other post was about whether the previous post was sufficiently relevant/on-topic/non-baiting. It's these 'meta-discussions' that derail threads. And the culprits are the people who want the threads locked in the first place.

Now I recognize that mods need to keep things on-topic, but perhaps the way to do it is through PM's that don't clutter the threads?

But what's so hard about staying somewhere remotely close to being on topic?

If overmodding is done, why not initiate a PM? You'll know who did it, and usually the reason is right there in the post.

In that thread Deron is talking strictly about right now, and most of the posters could give two dumps about anything Deron says.

But once it reaches it's life, which that one really had none, two things are likely gonna happen......

It falls off the page naturally or if it goes a direction that may be unfit, it will probably be locked.

Personally, i think the transition is overall smooth, there will be bumps of course.

I've PM'ed posters on some occasions in these early stages, and some have done so with me.

We can always talk.

NYK Mentality
Banned User

Post#140 » by NYK Mentality » Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:08 am

j4remi wrote:Btw, no one has said anything about Gameday threads...It's the PRESEASON...thus, no Game Day Threads. \.

Whats the excuse now? Opening day, I created a thread for NBA Gameday (10-30-2012) and guess what? it gets MERGED with a cluster fk of a thread. I wanna talk about NBA games per night, not what's mixed in between what happened 7-21 days ago.

Regular season, and gameday threads getting merged? What a horrible rule. Thanks for taking alot of the fun we all had on this site. We all loved the gameday threads. Thanks guys.

Return to New York Knicks