ImageImageImage

Wolves In The News

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

TMo519
Bench Warmer
And1: 25

Re: Wolves In The News 

Post#361 » by TMo519 » Mon Oct 8, 2012 6:30 pm

eyeteeth wrote:I am a mad homer fanboy, but I believe Pek could be like Karl Malone in his prime. His fundamentals are so solid. That together with his strength.. He's all that.

I honestly never thought I would hear that comparison ever in my life. I'm not saying you're on drugs like the other poster, but that's a BIG jump to make there to put Pek on that kind of level at all, even for a homer :lol:

I just think people tend to forget just how good Karl Malone really was, that's more where I come from with that.
eyeteeth
Starter
And1: 147

Post#362 » by eyeteeth » Mon Oct 8, 2012 8:07 pm

TMo519 wrote:
eyeteeth wrote:I am a mad homer fanboy, but I believe Pek could be like Karl Malone in his prime. His fundamentals are so solid. That together with his strength.. He's all that.

I honestly never thought I would hear that comparison ever in my life. I'm not saying you're on drugs like the other poster, but that's a BIG jump to make there to put Pek on that kind of level at all, even for a homer :lol:

I just think people tend to forget just how good Karl Malone really was, that's more where I come from with that.

OK, OK. That's totally fair. Looking at Malone's numbers really is kind of mind blowing. I'm still totally stoked for this season.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,583

Post#363 » by Klomp » Mon Oct 8, 2012 8:52 pm

TMo519 wrote:I just think people tend to forget just how good Karl Malone really was, that's more where I come from with that.

I agree. I don't like it when people call Tim Duncan the best PF of all-time. I still prefer Malone.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Saltine
Lead Assistant
And1: 909

Post#364 » by Saltine » Mon Oct 8, 2012 10:14 pm

Malone was definitely a better player than Duncan.
Grits n Gravy
General Manager
And1: 1,800

Post#365 » by Grits n Gravy » Mon Oct 8, 2012 10:51 pm

i'd go with duncan pretty easily personally, his size made him a much better defender though malone had some of the quickest hands defensively of all time.
cpfsf
General Manager
And1: 1,104
Location: sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell

Post#366 » by cpfsf » Mon Oct 8, 2012 11:19 pm

Best career = Malone (Duncan is close second)
Best season = KG's MVP year

sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#367 » by Klomp » Tue Oct 9, 2012 12:04 am

Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Basti
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,678

Post#368 » by Basti » Tue Oct 9, 2012 2:00 am

Wow, I'm surprised to see some of you saying that Malone was the better PF of him and Duncan. I'd have much less of an issue with that if you referred to Duncan as a Center (which is a fair point) but why do you guys rank him higher than Duncan and then, I assume, also higher than KG? Malone is the 3rd best PF IMO, behind both of Duncan and KG (if you consider Duncan a PF).

Duncan and KG have been defensive anchors. Malone, while not a shabby defender himself, wasn't an anchor defensively. I don't want to bring up the ring (or lack thereof) since he had the bad luck of meeting the GOAT (team) in the Finals twice but his team wasn't shabby either.

Duncan = / > KG >> Malone.

The only thing Malone has on both is the fact that he's the 2nd best scorer of all time.
Jukeness
Analyst
And1: 326

Post#369 » by Jukeness » Tue Oct 9, 2012 2:17 am

Malone was a bigger force down low, being as powerful as he was. I would like to see him and Pek go at it and see who could move the other. I think most people you ask will say Malone is the best.
Saltine
Lead Assistant
And1: 909

Post#370 » by Saltine » Tue Oct 9, 2012 5:09 am

I saw Malone play a lot, I'd put him first, if you need points, and you do to win, he's the best of three to get them.
I think of Duncan as a center, as a PF KG is better. He didn't outplay KG in their matchups, I saw quite a few of them and KG usually won.
http://www.basketball-reference.com/pla ... =garneke01

And Malone torched KG more often then not.
http://www.basketball-reference.com/pla ... =malonka01

I think Malone was the best PF, then KG; the stats seem to agree with my eyeballs. :)

Honestly, I think if Karl had been in NY or LA he would get more respect, the Media didn't care for him and his tiny market. Fun story;
http://entertainment.howstuffworks.com/ ... one-at.htm
Because he played in a small media market and shared top billing with John Stockton, Malone has never been as popular as such superstars as Charles Barkley and Patrick Ewing. In 1990, fans around the NBA voted the Los Angeles Lakers A.C. Green to start for the Western Conference in the All-Star Game.

Incensed by what he considered a snub, Malone rang up 61 points and 18 rebounds in only 33 minutes against the Milwaukee Bucks on January 27, 1990. His total included 21 field goals and 19 free throws. Then Malone announced that he was abandoning his threat to boycott the All-Star Game. (Ironically, he never played in the game because of an injury.)
Vindicater
General Manager
And1: 423

Post#371 » by Vindicater » Tue Oct 9, 2012 5:39 am

Saltine wrote:Malone was definitely a better player than Duncan.

There is no argument for Malone as a better player than Duncan.

The only argument I can accept is Malone as the better power forward due to Duncan really being a centre.

Duncan>Malone all day, every day.
"That's why the last two years weren't guaranteed," Walsh said. "Either way, he knew it could have happened either way."
urinesane
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,882

Post#372 » by urinesane » Tue Oct 9, 2012 7:06 am

Pek is the strongest player in the league. I can't wait to see him terrorize centers even more than last year.
Vindicater
General Manager
And1: 423

Post#373 » by Vindicater » Tue Oct 9, 2012 9:53 am

Saltine wrote:I saw Malone play a lot, I'd put him first, if you need points, and you do to win, he's the best of three to get them.

You also have to stop the other team scoring points and Malone is the worst of the three at that.

The difference between Duncan and Malone at the defensive end is far larger than the difference between them at the offensive end.

Duncan is the best defensive player to never win DPY. How he does not have one after anchoring the Spurs for so long is simply bamboozling to me. At his best he was just as much a defensive terror as Ben Wallace. I think the fact he dominated down the other end of the court actually detracted from his defense in the eyes of the media.
"That's why the last two years weren't guaranteed," Walsh said. "Either way, he knew it could have happened either way."
Basti
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#374 » by Basti » Tue Oct 9, 2012 12:25 pm

Saltine wrote:I saw Malone play a lot, I'd put him first, if you need points, and you do to win, he's the best of three to get them.
I think of Duncan as a center, as a PF KG is better. He didn't outplay KG in their matchups, I saw quite a few of them and KG usually won.
http://www.basketball-reference.com/pla ... =garneke01

And Malone torched KG more often then not.
http://www.basketball-reference.com/pla ... =malonka01

I think Malone was the best PF, then KG; the stats seem to agree with my eyeballs. :)

Honestly, I think if Karl had been in NY or LA he would get more respect, the Media didn't care for him and his tiny market. Fun story;
http://entertainment.howstuffworks.com/ ... one-at.htm
Because he played in a small media market and shared top billing with John Stockton, Malone has never been as popular as such superstars as Charles Barkley and Patrick Ewing. In 1990, fans around the NBA voted the Los Angeles Lakers A.C. Green to start for the Western Conference in the All-Star Game.

Incensed by what he considered a snub, Malone rang up 61 points and 18 rebounds in only 33 minutes against the Milwaukee Bucks on January 27, 1990. His total included 21 field goals and 19 free throws. Then Malone announced that he was abandoning his threat to boycott the All-Star Game. (Ironically, he never played in the game because of an injury.)

The media argument doesn't apply to me since I don't live in America and have had no access to any major news outlet, unless links are posted here. Anyway, I have to admit that I have only seen a handful games of Malone and they were way past his prime. Then again, he didn't really have a peak prime per se as his stats looked pretty good throughout his career, with little deviation to either side. In terms of longevity he's got Duncan beat with the way Timmy has played the past few years, or rather his stats indicate. However, Duncan's impact on both sides of the floor can't be stressed enough. He anchored one of the best defensive teams for several years. Only in the past few years when the identity of the Spurs was changed to be a offensive juggernaut the Spurs have ceased to be a defensive powerhouse. However, I read a stat the other day that Duncan's defensive impact is still off the chart and he still ranks among the best defenders in the entire league. His defensive impact more than makes up the small edge Malone had offensively. And even so, I wonder how Duncan would played offensively with a PG such as Stockton. Parker is no slouch either but Stockton is/was 10 times the playmaker Parker is.
Basti
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#375 » by Basti » Tue Oct 9, 2012 12:29 pm

Vindicater wrote:

You also have to stop the other team scoring points and Malone is the worst of the three at that.

The difference between Duncan and Malone at the defensive end is far larger than the difference between them at the offensive end.

Duncan is the best defensive player to never win DPY. How he does not have one after anchoring the Spurs for so long is simply bamboozling to me. At his best he was just as much a defensive terror as Ben Wallace. I think the fact he dominated down the other end of the court actually detracted from his defense in the eyes of the media.

Another reason why the media constantly has overlooked him was mainly that he played super effective defense the Spurs' way - not flashy. The other winners mostly had some defensive flashiness on their side. Then again, Marcus freaking Camby who's not known for being a flashy player won it once. That was so absurd.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,472

Post#376 » by Worm Guts » Tue Oct 9, 2012 12:59 pm

I would actually consider Camby a flashy player. He definitely had flashy defensive numbers.
anuroc
Junior
And1: 19

Post#377 » by anuroc » Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:04 pm

Malone was a beast, simply unstoppable on offence, and for many years, not just 3 or 4 seasons like others PF (Amare Stoudamire or Shawn Kemp, for instance). Garnett, with all his tricks, height, wingspan and athleticism, was the best defender out of that trio. But I would pick Duncan for my team; he never won the DPY trophy, it was his former pal David Robinson who did it, but he was so good on both zones and so team-oriented that he would be my choice by a mile.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#378 » by Klomp » Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:37 pm

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/b ... index.html

AN OPPOSING TEAM'S SCOUT ANALYZES THE TIMBERWOLVES
The difference between having Ricky Rubio [who is expected to miss the first two months of the season while recovering from knee surgery] and not having him is huge. Everybody likes Rubio and still I think he's underrated -- he's that good. I honestly think he'll be better than Steve Nash.

maljanNBAfan
Sophomore
And1: 2

Post#379 » by maljanNBAfan » Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:03 pm

Klomp wrote:http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/basketball/nba/10/24/timberwolves-nba-season-preview/index.html

AN OPPOSING TEAM'S SCOUT ANALYZES THE TIMBERWOLVES
The difference between having Ricky Rubio [who is expected to miss the first two months of the season while recovering from knee surgery] and not having him is huge. Everybody likes Rubio and still I think he's underrated -- he's that good. I honestly think he'll be better than Steve Nash.

Thanks for sharing that article. I sure hope Rubio makes a speedy recovering. I am looking forward to seeing him out on the court, when he is able to return and play ball again.
TMo519
Bench Warmer
And1: 25

Post#380 » by TMo519 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:15 pm

I suppose he could be better than Nash simply cause he'll impact both sides of the ball. It's hard not to think he could at least be in Nash's ballpark on offense, but defensively, he should have quite the decided advantage in that category when all is said and done.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves