ImageImageImage

Wolves In The News

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

AQuintus
RealGM
And1: 2,458

Re: Wolves In The News 

Post#381 » by AQuintus » Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:46 pm

Klomp wrote:http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/basketball/nba/10/24/timberwolves-nba-season-preview/index.html

AN OPPOSING TEAM'S SCOUT ANALYZES THE TIMBERWOLVES
The difference between having Ricky Rubio [who is expected to miss the first two months of the season while recovering from knee surgery] and not having him is huge. Everybody likes Rubio and still I think he's underrated -- he's that good. I honestly think he'll be better than Steve Nash.

After reading that, I have to say that I'm glad the author is scouting for an "opposing team" and not the Wolves. That report was terrible.
Esohny
RealGM
And1: 339

Post#382 » by Esohny » Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:57 pm

AQuintus wrote:
Klomp wrote:http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/basketball/nba/10/24/timberwolves-nba-season-preview/index.html

AN OPPOSING TEAM'S SCOUT ANALYZES THE TIMBERWOLVES
The difference between having Ricky Rubio [who is expected to miss the first two months of the season while recovering from knee surgery] and not having him is huge. Everybody likes Rubio and still I think he's underrated -- he's that good. I honestly think he'll be better than Steve Nash.

After reading that, I have to say that I'm glad the author is scouting for an "opposing team" and not the Wolves. That report was terrible.

Yeah, for a guy who is supposed to know basketball and the opponent, he doesn't seem to have actually watched the Wolves play.
SMAC-K wrote:Mayo>>>>Love and that 5th pick
OJ Mayo is one of the best defenders in the league, hes a two way player and hes a great passer and playmaker.
Lucky Striker
Banned User
And1: 8

Post#383 » by Lucky Striker » Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:55 am

I thought it was pretty right on. What parts did you guys disagree with?
cpfsf
General Manager
And1: 1,104
Location: sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell

Post#384 » by cpfsf » Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:55 pm

Lucky Striker wrote:I thought it was pretty right on. What parts did you guys disagree with?

Ditto, I thought it was a decent synopsis.

sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,576

Post#385 » by Klomp » Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:22 pm

It turns out there was more to the Brandon Roy package than his dear friend, point guard Will Conroy.

A league source said longtime Seattle-based NBA consultant Steve "Hat Man" Gordon is now on the Minnesota Timberwolves' payroll as a scout. He has worked out Roy and Conroy for years.

Generally, when a team brings in a new talent evaluator who on the surface has very little say in personnel moves, the reaction is met with a collective yawn.

But this case could eventually be different for a couple reasons:

1. Gordon wielded lots of power while an employee for the Blazers. In fact, multiple reports said he was incredibly tight with owner Paul Allen and was partly responsible for the firing of general manager Kevin Pritchard and assistant general manager Tom Penn. Presumably, Gordon is still close with Allen. Considering the Wolves' issues with the Blazers -- the Nic Batum fallout and the Martell Webster compensation claim -- does it make sense to have an Allen confidant on the payroll?

2. Gordon has a good relationship with free-agent center Greg Oden. Mike Conley Sr., Oden's agent, told me over the summer that his client wasn't expected to play this year but is expected back for the 2013-14 season. Assuming his knees don't break down again -- he has had three microfracture surgeries in the last five years -- Oden will likely be on the Wolves' radar and they could have the inside track to getting him because of Gordon.

• A source close to Conroy is convinced he'll stick on the opening night roster because of his $100,000 guarantee. Conroy will become expendable when point guard Ricky Rubio is back in December.

• There has been no dialogue between the Wolves and wing Chase Budinger's camp about a contract extension. Budinger will be an unrestricted free agent next summer.

http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/The_ ... cout102612
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Foye
Club Captain- German Soccer
And1: 3,444

Post#386 » by Foye » Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:03 pm

Oden would be fine as a backup C behind Pekovic...if...he can play basketball again.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#387 » by Klomp » Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:20 pm

The end of a good read about the Loveless Wolves:

And that's about the end of it. At a certain point, an injury is an injury and a missing star is a real detriment, and that's where the Timberwolves stand. They can't dwell, though, and if Wednesday's game against Detroit is any indication, they're not. It's up to Rick Adelman to spin magic out of terrible luck, and he's done it before. The season is a week away, and this month without Love still has the potential to be the obstacle upon which the Timberwolves build their season. The odds are stacked against them, but since when is that not the case?

What must be different this year is that the team needs to learn rather than wallow, and with a supporting cast that seems infinitely more invested than last year, there's a real chance of perfectly tolerable basketball without Love. It just might not be quite as fun.

http://www.foxsportsnorth.com/10/26/12/ ... eedID=5930
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

AQuintus
RealGM
And1: 2,458

Post#388 » by AQuintus » Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:25 pm

cpfsf wrote:
Lucky Striker wrote:I thought it was pretty right on. What parts did you guys disagree with?

It is decent (except for a few things, like calling Kirilenko our 6th man), it's just something that any internet rube who has watched half a quarter of Wolves' preseason basketball could have written. If they're going to hype up the author as a "rival scout," then the article should have a little bit of depth. As it is, I'm not sure that anyone on this board couldn't have written a better scouting report on the team,
cpfsf
General Manager

Post#389 » by cpfsf » Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:52 pm

AQuintus wrote:
cpfsf wrote:

It is decent (except for a few things, like calling Kirilenko our 6th man), it's just something that any internet rube who has watched half a quarter of Wolves' preseason basketball could have written. If they're going to hype up the author as a "rival scout," then the article should have a little bit of depth. As it is, I'm not sure that anyone on this board couldn't have written a better scouting report on the team,

6th man thing I overlooked.

I agree there really wasn't anything really insightful, but its good for fans of other teams who want a brief summary. TBH, I didn't expect too much advanced stats from an SI article, but the "rival scout" didn't add anything except perhaps legitimacy.

sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell
C.lupus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,832

Post#390 » by C.lupus » Sat Oct 27, 2012 1:08 pm

Yeah, not very insightful. I would think a professional scout would know something about Shved. I mean he just played in the Olympics and was pursued by multiple teams. Then again, a scout probably isn't going to spill everything he knows to SI.
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,131

Post#391 » by Calinks » Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:11 pm

Roy is on NBA TV right now being interviewed in a special with Ahmad Rashad.
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#392 » by Klomp » Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:45 pm

Alex Conover ‏@alex_cono

Coach Adelman, when asked if he will watch tonight's NBA games: "I don't know, it's Tuesday, NCIS is on." #twolves

Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#393 » by Klomp » Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:55 pm

Calinks wrote:Roy is on NBA TV right now being interviewed in a special with Ahmad Rashad.

Not sure if this is the whole thing, but still good

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQwpy5l6c-Q[/youtube]

Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#394 » by Klomp » Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:24 pm

Heres the link to Chad Hartman interviewing the St Paul AA "civil rights" guy in the news

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/cha ... d403228636

(First one, just press the play button)

urinesane
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,882

Post#395 » by urinesane » Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:18 pm

Klomp wrote:Heres the link to Chad Hartman interviewing the St Paul AA "civil rights" guy in the news

Wow, that guy is a moron.
cpfsf
General Manager

Post#396 » by cpfsf » Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:33 pm

Klomp wrote:Heres the link to Chad Hartman interviewing the St Paul AA "civil rights" guy in the news

Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#397 » by Klomp » Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:36 pm

:lol: Just in case...

Esohny
RealGM
And1: 339

Post#398 » by Esohny » Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:50 pm

cpfsf wrote:

Yup. I don't need to listen to it to know how stupid it will be.
SMAC-K wrote:Mayo>>>>Love and that 5th pick
OJ Mayo is one of the best defenders in the league, hes a two way player and hes a great passer and playmaker.
urinesane
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,882

Post#399 » by urinesane » Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:23 am

Esohny wrote:
cpfsf wrote:

Yup. I don't need to listen to it to know how stupid it will be.

The guy actually argues that the team doesn't have talented players. He says AK has never been more than an average player and Love is an OK player. It's really stupid.
Saltine
Lead Assistant
And1: 909

Post#400 » by Saltine » Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:21 pm

http://www.nba.com/timberwolves/news/ke ... transcript

Kevin Love addressed the media for the first time since breaking his right hand during a morning workout routine earlier this preseason. Below is a full transcript of his interview with the media.

Tell us where your mind is at with the recovery?

My mind is obviously not happy having a broken hand, but it’s good to be back today after rehabbing and being with my family for a week. I’m looking forward to getting back on the court as soon as possible. We’ll know more next week on where my hand is at, and I plan on being back sooner rather than later. I’m excited to be back, keep up on my conditioning, and it’s going to be a time for others to step up so I’m excited to see that. And still be a leader, still be as vocal as possible and be with the guys whether we’re on the road, whether we’re at home or we’re in practice. In that regard I’m excited I’m still with the team 100 percent. It’s bittersweet, but you have to find a way to prevail from this.

Did you know right away?

Yeah, I mean it was pretty much a freak accident. This happened working down on the fifth floor of my apartment complex. It was just a weird thing, it just happened and I told my trainer Rob McClanahan something is wrong, and then I tried to do another weight bearing exercise on it and I just said we’ve got to go over to the Target Center right away. We talked to Gregg Farnam, he sent me over to the hospital and low and behold I broke two bones.

Are knuckle pushups a normal part of your workout?

[Not so much] knuckle pushups but ball pushups and kettle ball pushups have been. It’s weird how it happened, the same thing kind of same thing goes for my left hand in Chicago after I guess it was one of the first preseason games. I looked at my hand and saying something is wrong. It was very much the same with my right hand as well.

Have you done them regularly before?

Yeah, I do different series of pushups all the time. My hand just gave on me, and it just broke.

Can you understand how people might be skeptical?

Of course, I’ve heard everything. But this isn’t TMZ, this isn’t People Magazine. I think most people are just looking for a story. For me, I know what happened. I’m not trying to get around it, I’m not trying to lie. That’s just what happened.

Do you have a date in mind?

Just as soon as possible. I’d just like to get out there as soon as possible.

How disappointed were you when you found out 6-8 weeks?

It was very disappointing. Like I mentioned I’m going to stay in shape as best I can, and I’m going to continue being with the team and keep being a leader.

Did you suspect instantly it was broken?

Yeah I did, because I had broken my left hand as I mentioned. I saw the swelling that came about, because I broke it probably about 9:45-10:00 in the morning. I got over to Target Center around 10:30-10:45 or maybe an hour later and it was already very swollen so it was either extremely aggravated or broken. And when I got to the doctor and he started pressing on my hand, that’s when I figured it probably is broken.

How have you thought the team has responded without you and Ricky?

I think in years past we probably would be in trouble, but I think with Pek and Luke and JJ and Brandon and AK and Derrick and, I mean, Shved, all the different guys that we have on this team that we’re going to be OK. If we play good basketball and we continue the defense we’ve been playing throughout the preseason that we’re going to win some ballgames. And the sooner we get Ricky and myself back and get to a full roster, I think we’re going to have a major breakthrough and continue to play better.

Are you looking at the positives out of this? That the team has helped its depth?

Yeah, I definitely think so. I think guys stepping up and getting a chance to play significant minutes. For instance Derrick Williams and Chase Budinger have played extremely well in the preseason. And I think those guys getting a chance to come out and play, and Lou Amundson and [Dante Cunningham], I think those guys have really had a chance to break through and help us win games early on.

You and Larry Fitzgerald have become YouTube sensations. Can you tell us about that?

I came to Larry with the idea that we should do a video for breast cancer because a lady…who is kind of my LA mom when I go back to LA in the offseason, she was diagnosed with breast cancer in February and went through different stages. And obviously Larry’s mom nine years ago lost her life to breast cancer. So I called him up, and we had been in touch over the last few years, and I said we should do a video. He was all for it, and it all came about organically. This is where it’s at, and we’re happy with the product we put out and the money it’s raised for breast cancer awareness.

How big of a challenge will it be to get your shot back?

I was actually mentioning it today to coach. I don’t think, obviously it’s not like it was my second year in the league when I was able to shoot with my right hand. But I think the touch will come back pretty easily, and I think as long as I keep my weight down, keep in shape and keep my legs ready, if all that is intact and I stay mentally prepared it’s going to come back pretty easily. And the good thing about it is when my hand heels and I’m cleared to go, whether or not my touch is back the first day, I’m going to be out there and ready to go.

Are you working on your left hand?

A little bit. I haven’t really touched a basketball in the last week. But I’m looking forward to getting back into it and working on my left hand. Maybe in some ways it was a blessing in disguise.

Did you talk to your teammates about it?

Yeah, a lot of them texted me and the majority of the coaching staff texted me about the hand and how it was feeling throughout the week and when it happened. I’ve been keeping in touch with them and I addressed them in the locker room today, told them where I was, kept me up to date. They couldn’t empathize but they had sympathy for me and they just want me to get back and get with the team, so I’m here now.

When did you shave your head?

I got it two Saturdays ago when I shaved it the first time. Larry shaved it, and then I shaved it again this past Saturday. This will be it for me. This will be the last you’ll see it until next year or who knows?

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves