Davis, Rivers still adjusting to NBA roles

Moderator: bwgood77

Copperhead
Lead Assistant
And1: 55

Davis, Rivers still adjusting to NBA roles 

Post#1 » by Copperhead » Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:49 pm

ATLANTA — Austin Rivers' arms are extended, palms facing the Phillips Arena rafters.

He doesn't trust himself. He's thinking too much, over-contemplating the cuts and screens that serve a greater purpose in his new role with the New Orleans Hornets. His coach, Monty Williams, notices as well. Following his team's 97-68 loss to the Atlanta Hawks, Williams tersely answered a question on whether Rivers looks hesitant with a decisive and abrupt, "Yes."

"I'm thinking so much. That's not who I am," said Rivers, who scored 11 points in the loss. "Some players like to think a lot, but that's not who I am. I'm the complete opposite. I just go."

This is not the Austin Rivers the basketball world is accustomed to watching.

Rivers stocked up the highlight reels for Duke in his lone season at the college level, leading a relatively talent-depleted Blue Devils' squad to a 27-7 record and an NCAA tournament bid — which culminated in a first-round loss to Lehigh and his NBA exodus.

At times last season, he was the only hope for coach Mike Krzyzewski's offense. When Duke's back was against the wall against a solid defensive team, it often fell to Rivers and his innate driving ability to get to the basket and cause teams to react. It was his burden to carry: sometimes it worked — his game-winning 3-pointer against North Carolina will remain in NCAA lore for decades — and other times it didn't.

But his role is different now.

After hearing David Stern call his name as the 10th pick in the NBA Draft, he became one of many talented athletes striving to make it in the world's premier basketball league. He's no longer the superstar; he's a borderline starter (depending on how Williams wants to juggle the lineup when standout guard Eric Gordon returns from injury) still trying to grasp a new system.

"Going out, what I need to do is study the film so I know all the plays in the back of my head so that when they call the play I'm not thinking. I can just run it," Rivers said. "That's the biggest thing for me personally is getting the plays just down. Once I get that down, which will be in the next week or so I'll have that down, I'll be able to just play."

Fellow Hornets rookie Anthony Davis, the prized No. 1 pick in June's draft, falls into a similar category on the opposite end of the spectrum. Although he was named the Naismith National Player of the Year for his singular season at Kentucky, Davis rarely found himself as the focal point of John Calipari's offense. He played off his teammates, cleaning up mistakes, throwing down alley-oops and defending the rim like few ever have at the collegiate level. He was transcendent.

http://www.foxsportssouth.com/10/19/12/ ... eedID=3703
God Squad
RealGM
And1: 10,118

Re: Davis, Rivers still adjusting to NBA roles 

Post#2 » by God Squad » Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:51 pm

Davis will be fine. I'm not sure about rivers. I had little hope for him at combine, and nothing has chsnged. Inconsistent, undersized chucker. With zero.pg skills.
Rondo2Hondo
Banned User
And1: 40

Post#3 » by Rondo2Hondo » Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:07 pm

Rivers has potential if he is paired with a bigger point guard. Shaun Livingston??

He reminds of Mayo.... can guard point guards, can't run an offense, can't defend shooting guards.
Refresh
Freshman
And1: 0

Post#4 » by Refresh » Sat Nov 3, 2012 8:53 pm

Davis have alot potencial, but Rivers i think he will be a superstar in future, i dream about see him one day in boston.
GettinitDone
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,775

Post#5 » by GettinitDone » Sun Nov 4, 2012 11:28 am

^Is that a serious post?

Not only does Rivers show signs of being a bust, he just knocked out his superstar teammate AD. He can't get his shot off against more athletic defenders, he has only slightly above average speed, he can't pass. He has no one advantage he can use against opponents at the NBA level. It's clear he should have stayed at college.

He might get better after 2-3 seasons and summers of workouts/ rigorous trainings, but this season, I completely expect him to be a bench role player.
nonameguy
Junior
And1: 170

Post#6 » by nonameguy » Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:59 am

Rondo2Hondo wrote:Rivers has potential if he is paired with a bigger point guard. Shaun Livingston??

He reminds of Mayo.... can guard point guards, can't run an offense, can't defend shooting guards.

So, pair the rookie many people are calling a bust, with a guy who can barely crack 20 mins on a team that hasn't won a game, has barely started for any team he's played for in his career, and never averaged over 10ppg.......

Sounds like a winning backcourt idea ;)

Return to New Orleans Pelicans