Best website to access advanced statistics?

Moderator: Doctor MJ

EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,182

Re: Best website to access advanced statistics? 

Post#21 » by EvanZ » Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:15 pm

-Kees- wrote:^How exactly is that calculated? And is there only RAPM stats for this year?

Do you want "exactly" or "kinda sorta"? I gave the "kinda sorta" answer in my primer (towards the end):

http://www.d3coder.com/thecity/advanced-stats-primer/

It's a regularized version of adjusted +/- (APM). Basically, it decreases the variance of predictions that you would make with APM, which results in a lower overall prediction error.

Those RAPM ratings I linked to are a weighted multi-year result. Here are the single-year 2012 results:

http://stats-for-the-nba.appspot.com/ranking12_no_prior

I'm also calculating adjusted four-factor +/-, which is another way to do it:

http://www.d3coder.com/thecity/2012/05/ ... g-to-a4pm/
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
-Kees-
Lead Assistant
And1: 52

Post#22 » by -Kees- » Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:03 am

^How exactly does it decrease the variance? What happens to the stat/whats added to make it better than regular APM?

Also, thats a great blog. I read a whole bunch of posts you made, it's great work.

For anyone...I'm looking for a stat, basically, I'm wondering for each turnover, how often does it lead to a fast break basket attempt. So for each turnover, how often does the other team get out on the fast break and attempt a shot? I can't find it.
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#23 » by EvanZ » Sun Jul 29, 2012 2:27 am

-Kees- wrote:^How exactly does it decrease the variance? What happens to the stat/whats added to make it better than regular APM?

As part of the regression a Lagrange multiplier ("lambda") is added as a penalty term to shrink variance. The value of "lambda" is chosen through cross-validation to minimize prediction error. It's really very common now:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tikhonov_regularization
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
drejeronfire
Banned User
And1: 22

Post#24 » by drejeronfire » Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:54 pm

Does anyone know where I can find play-by-play data for the 2004 NBA Finals?
SideshowBob
General Manager
And1: 6,253

Post#25 » by SideshowBob » Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:14 am

But in his home dwelling...the hi-top faded warrior is revered. *Smack!* The sound of his palm blocking the basketball... the sound of thousands rising, roaring... the sound of "get that sugar honey iced tea outta here!"
drejeronfire
Banned User
And1: 22

Post#26 » by drejeronfire » Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:50 pm

Thank you... For some reason I never knew you could find play-by-play data on basketball-reference :lol: !
ag101
Junior
And1: 1

Post#27 » by ag101 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:46 am

I've always wondered, how do these stat guys compile all of the statistics onto one spreadsheet/data set to be able to analyse/compare?

I've got some good knowledge of SPSS, Excel, SAS... Learning R currently.. But the actual retrieving of the data has always eluded me..
12footrim
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,316

Post#28 » by 12footrim » Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:12 am

NM
Where I write

The Hoops Resource
Rod700
Pro Prospect
And1: 3

Post#29 » by Rod700 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:55 pm

The RAPM is enlightening, but I'd also like to know how they determine Defensive Ratings for individual players. I can find plenty on how it is calculated for teams, but not for individuals. I appreciate any help. Thanks!
Pointing Out What Is Wrong With Other People's Posts Is Easy, Helping Them Develop Their Ideas Takes Skill
Amen316
Sixth Man
And1: 4

Post#30 » by Amen316 » Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:25 am

Postby ag101 on Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:46 pm
I've always wondered, how do these stat guys compile all of the statistics onto one spreadsheet/data set to be able to analyse/compare?

I've got some good knowledge of SPSS, Excel, SAS... Learning R currently.. But the actual retrieving of the data has always eluded me..

ag101
Junior

If you are able to program with IBM SPSS and SAS you are on the forefront of what teams are looking for, however it has been my dealing that truly understanding the mission one is trying to accomplish and how to throw out good stats from misleading ones is truly the highest prize.
Excel is nice because its compartments allow for easy brain memory, the problem is many times it is a computer RAM hog and the program itself seems limited once you enter a good amount of data.
Rod700
Pro Prospect

Post#31 » by Rod700 » Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:50 pm

Does anyone know where I can find assist to turnover career stats?
Pointing Out What Is Wrong With Other People's Posts Is Easy, Helping Them Develop Their Ideas Takes Skill
Rod700
Pro Prospect

Post#32 » by Rod700 » Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:15 pm

EvanZ wrote:
Rod700 wrote:What is the best stat to determine a player's defensive impact? I don't like stats that incorporate blocks and steals, and would prefer something focused on the offensive production of the player he is guarding. I realize this is difficult though as zone defenses and picks reduce the clarity of which player is responsible for guarding which player. I would think that, as a result, we would be regulating to looking at team defensive statistics with a player on and off the floor. However, the advanced stats on nba.com due break out an individual players performance against another individual, player, so it seems possible to individualize the impact of a single player. I just can't find anything that quantifies how well a player does at holding other players below their average FG% or EFG% for example. Any thoughts on the best means of determining individual defensive impact?

Defense RAPM.

http://stats-for-the-nba.appspot.com/ranking_rec

Thanks for this, but I'm not quite sure how to interpret the numbers on that site. Can you give me a brief description, like the offense is X per Y, the defense is X per Y, and thus the total is X per Y?

EDIT: Let me add one other question that would help me get the basics down. In that link why are we adding defense to offense, instead of subtracting defense from offense like we would with Ortg and Drtg?
blabla
Sophomore
And1: 76

Post#33 » by blabla » Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:19 pm

The listed value is what the player brings the team over an average player, if he'd play the entire game.
So, if you replaced an average player on any team with Nowitzki, their offense should be 4.8 points better per game if Nowitzki plays 100 offensive possessions every game. If Nowitzki would play 100 defensive possessions per game, he'd improve his team's defense by 3.2 points per game.
For Nowitzki to help your team by 8 points per game he'd have to play the entire game (100 offensive possessions and 100 defensive possessions). In reality, no one probably plays more than 150 possessions total per game.

Whether we add defense to offense or just subtract it: that's just semantics. In case of this metric positive just always means "good"
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#34 » by EvanZ » Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:03 pm

blabla wrote:
Whether we add defense to offense or just subtract it: that's just semantics. In case of this metric positive just always means "good"

Exactly. Positive on both offense and defense correlates with an *increase* in total point differential, which is what we're after.
wiLQ
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#35 » by wiLQ » Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:04 am

Rod700 wrote:Does anyone know where I can find assist to turnover career stats?

I was convinced http://www.basketball-reference.com has it but they don't. Good catch.
Maybe you should suggest them this improvement?
I would guess it will be easy to add and I've proposed too many suggestions ;-)
Sedale Threatt
RealGM
And1: 40,827

Post#36 » by Sedale Threatt » Sat Nov 3, 2012 6:07 pm

Is anybody else's Synergy Sports membership screwed up? Not sure if I'm just doing something wrong -- always a good possibility -- or if I bought the wrong membership tier, but the 2012-13 games are not yet accessible for me.
branny
Assistant Coach
And1: 28

Post#37 » by branny » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:11 pm

Sedale Threatt wrote:Is anybody else's Synergy Sports membership screwed up? Not sure if I'm just doing something wrong -- always a good possibility -- or if I bought the wrong membership tier, but the 2012-13 games are not yet accessible for me.

As a member of Synergy Sports, are you able to access any type of rankings? What I'm interested is how many post up or isolation possessions a team has compared to others and how effective they are at that category. It'd allow me to have a slightly better understanding of every team's offense. I realise that it's possible to manually do this by searching every team but another feature I'd like to see would be rankings of all the players but this would require a lot of time that I do not necessarily have.

Thanks
branny
Assistant Coach
And1: 28

Post#38 » by branny » Sat Jan 5, 2013 12:00 pm

Hmm no luck with that.. would really like an answer for my question mysynergy members! :(
jman3134
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 1,308

Post#39 » by jman3134 » Fri Feb 1, 2013 5:32 pm

http://basketballvalue.com/index.php Is this website so last year with the xRAPM out now? (and I say that in gest b/c they only have last year's numbers) Can someone (Evan) explain the difference in APM vs. xRAPM?
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#40 » by EvanZ » Sat Feb 2, 2013 3:05 am

jman3134 wrote:http://basketballvalue.com/index.php Is this website so last year with the xRAPM out now? (and I say that in gest b/c they only have last year's numbers) Can someone (Evan) explain the difference in APM vs. xRAPM?

To the first question, the guy who ran basketball-value (Aaron Barzilai) now is the head stats guy for Philly. He probably won't be updating the site going forward (I spoke to him over the phone, and while he didn't rule it out, I would say he sounded very doubtful about it).

To your second question, it's really fairly complicated. In a nutshell, RAPM is the regularized form of APM. RAPM is a better predictor than APM. xRAPM tries to use box score stats to improve the predictability of RAPM. (Apparently) it is a better predictor than pure RAPM.

Return to Statistical Analysis