ImageImageImage

2013 Draft Targets (#9, #26, #52, #59)

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

sisibilio
Head Coach
And1: 1,043

Re: 2013 Draft Targets 

Post#21 » by sisibilio » Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:33 am

[RCG] wrote:Obviously Zeller, Noels, Muhammed will be gone before we pick but these are some guys I think we should monitor over the season:

SG:
4. Alex Abrines - Spain - 6'5" 195 lbs - good shooter, solid handles, Spanish!

SF:
4. Dario Saric - Croatia - 6'10 220 lbs - long, decent handles, rebounder, decent mid-range game.

Saric won't be a SF at the senior level, he's not mobile enough. I don't think he'd be available when the Wolves pick anyway.
Abrines might be a good pick if he declares, but keep in mind that probably you'd have to wait a couple years for him.
If you want to try to measure the elements of basketball that are supposedly unmeasurable, spend a game just watching Marc Gasol.
@MikePradaSBN

Wembanyama was created to end all LeBron vs Jordan debates
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,584

Post#22 » by Klomp » Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:04 am

The J Rocka wrote:We may add one young guy late in the draft as a "project", possibly with the MEM pick, but I'd still like to see us move our own 1st with Williams for a "win now" piece.

I think Belly will be over here after the season. I would like to think we'd go after a young SG in the draft but with Shved & Barea, I think we may look for a C, like you said.

As college basketball fans, we'll continue to watch and look for players to fit our team but we won't "depend" on it like in years past, at least speaking for myself. I wouldn't mind a project C, but I think our depth is pretty solid as is for the moment. That could change, of course.

First of all, I agree about the trading part. Not only would it clear up our salary concerns, but moving Williams would allow us to bring Bjelica over more easily.

I also agree that we won't "depend" on the draft as in years past. However, I wouldn't only focus on project players. I think about what teams like San Antonio (Leonard) and Boston (Sullinger) have done in recent drafts, getting guys that can fit right into the systems and contribute immediately if called upon.

Especially with us now being over the cap and having some key older players, it becomes even more important that we cannot miss on a prospect. Unless it is a late 2nd rounder that we plan to stash, we need to make sure our guys are solid. Paying attention to the cap is also important, knowing how to find ways to save some money without losing much in talent.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
The J Rocka
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,730

Post#23 » by The J Rocka » Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:44 am

Klomp wrote:
The J Rocka wrote:We may add one young guy late in the draft as a "project", possibly with the MEM pick, but I'd still like to see us move our own 1st with Williams for a "win now" piece.

I think Belly will be over here after the season. I would like to think we'd go after a young SG in the draft but with Shved & Barea, I think we may look for a C, like you said.

As college basketball fans, we'll continue to watch and look for players to fit our team but we won't "depend" on it like in years past, at least speaking for myself. I wouldn't mind a project C, but I think our depth is pretty solid as is for the moment. That could change, of course.

First of all, I agree about the trading part. Not only would it clear up our salary concerns, but moving Williams would allow us to bring Bjelica over more easily.

I also agree that we won't "depend" on the draft as in years past. However, I wouldn't only focus on project players. I think about what teams like San Antonio (Leonard) and Boston (Sullinger) have done in recent drafts, getting guys that can fit right into the systems and contribute immediately if called upon.

Especially with us now being over the cap and having some key older players, it becomes even more important that we cannot miss on a prospect. Unless it is a late 2nd rounder that we plan to stash, we need to make sure our guys are solid. Paying attention to the cap is also important, knowing how to find ways to save some money without losing much in talent.

I feel we can scout decent overseas talent but I definitely cannot count on Kahn for drafting the right players whether it's a lotto pick or late round pick. Rubio & Belly (?) may be his only two gems out of a handful of draft picks we've had in the past and we don't even know how Belly will turnout. I'm hoping with RA here that will change.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#24 » by Klomp » Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:12 am

The J Rocka wrote:I feel we can scout decent overseas talent but I definitely cannot count on Kahn for drafting the right players whether it's a lotto pick or late round pick. Rubio & Belly (?) may be his only two gems out of a handful of draft picks we've had in the past and we don't even know how Belly will turnout. I'm hoping with RA here that will change.

The thing I've noticed is how he listens to his head coach, and tries to get whoever he asks for. When you have someone like Kurt Rambis, that doesn't work so well. However, I trust Adelman a lot more. Adelman knows the types of players he wants, and Kahn will get them.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

The J Rocka
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#25 » by The J Rocka » Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:31 am

Klomp wrote:
The J Rocka wrote:I feel we can scout decent overseas talent but I definitely cannot count on Kahn for drafting the right players whether it's a lotto pick or late round pick. Rubio & Belly (?) may be his only two gems out of a handful of draft picks we've had in the past and we don't even know how Belly will turnout. I'm hoping with RA here that will change.

The thing I've noticed is how he listens to his head coach, and tries to get whoever he asks for. When you have someone like Kurt Rambis, that doesn't work so well. However, I trust Adelman a lot more. Adelman knows the types of players he wants, and Kahn will get them.

That's definitely a luxury to have, at least for us. It would've been nice to see what we could do this draft but moving our pick to get Chase is obviously RA's call and from what we saw out of him in preseason, it's looking like a win for us.

I'm just used to blown/wasted draft choices over the years but finally with a great coaching staff, things will be looking a lot better for us in that department. We'll need it.
younggunsmn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,301

Post#26 » by younggunsmn » Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:59 am

Cash Considerations

Freshman center, Kentucky

7'13
8' wingspan
10' standing reach.
known for his temper tantrums.
Vindicater
General Manager
And1: 423

Post#27 » by Vindicater » Sun Nov 4, 2012 5:46 am

I am going to assume we will be drafting somehwher ein the middle of the first round for now.

12-20 range.

So here are some guys that could be interesting.

Dario Saric - Big tall, smart basketball player from Croatia. Take him and stash him overseas for a year or two untill he bulks up.

Lebryan Nash - Could swing between the two forward spots. Freak athlete worth taking a punt on in the middle of the first round in the hopes he gets his head together.

CJ McCollum - Just because I don't know what the deal with Ridnour/Barea is. McCollum can come in and play either guard spot. great penetrator and transition player. He will be a good bench scorer wherever he ends up.
"That's why the last two years weren't guaranteed," Walsh said. "Either way, he knew it could have happened either way."
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#28 » by Klomp » Sun Nov 4, 2012 7:01 am

Adonis Thomas - Love this kid. DX has him at 17 now, but could end up top 5.
Rodney Williams - Do I really need to explain this?
Gorgui Dieng - Stood out in the tournament. Would hate to see him go somewhere like SA. Still raw.
Otto Porter - Has the offensive skillset of Kirilenko.
Reggie Bullock - Great size. Great defense.

Nate Wolters - A 6'4" Luke Ridnour. St. Cloud native.
DeWayne Dedmon - Great size, but raw. A pick for the future.
Oleksandr Lypovyy - Never heard of him, but sounds intriguing to follow.

Piecake
Assistant Coach
And1: 264

Post#29 » by Piecake » Sun Nov 4, 2012 8:04 pm

I dont think Rodney Williams will turn into a good pro at all. He cant dribble, cant shoot, and basically uses his superior athleticism to score points in the paint. That wont work in the pros. Basically, he will be a worse Wes Johnson

I agree that we should definitely go after a wing. Either by drafting or trading the pick+assets to pick up a proven player.

Cant say I know much about the prospects in the mid first round since its a bit early, but Lebryan Nash sounds awesome. Combination of lebron + Bryant + Nash? Sign me up!
jade_hippo
Starter
And1: 135

Post#30 » by jade_hippo » Mon Nov 5, 2012 9:05 am

I think the alure of Rodney is that he is active, has played man defense, and will probably come as a 2nd rounder.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#31 » by Klomp » Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:48 am

I think I found a guy Adelman will love

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/And ... rson-6505/

dunkonu21
Lead Assistant
And1: 40

Post#32 » by dunkonu21 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:28 am

JAMAAL FRANKLIN IS THE MAN
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#33 » by Klomp » Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:11 am

Otto Porter Jr has a Kirilenko skillset to monitor through the season. 18 pts (6-10 FGs), 9 rebounds, 5 assists, 3 steals, 2 blocks tonight vs UCLA. Plays vs Indiana tomorrow. And he turned 19 in June, so he's a young sophomore. DX currently has him at #24 in its mock.

Piecake
Assistant Coach
And1: 264

Post#34 » by Piecake » Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:32 am

Klomp wrote:Otto Porter Jr has a Kirilenko skillset to monitor through the season. 18 pts (6-10 FGs), 9 rebounds, 5 assists, 3 steals, 2 blocks tonight vs UCLA. Plays vs Indiana tomorrow. And he turned 19 in June, so he's a young sophomore. DX currently has him at #24 in its mock.

He looks good, and sounds like a player that Adelman would love
[RCG]
Head Coach

Post#35 » by [RCG] » Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:54 am

Getting Michael Snaer or Reggie Bullock to develop at the 2 spot would be nice. They each provide good defense with 3-pt range.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt
moss_is_1
RealGM
And1: 2,007

Post#36 » by moss_is_1 » Mon Dec 3, 2012 5:28 pm

Archie Goodwin....Tyreke Evans 2.0?

I think him and Rodney Purvis would be pretty sweet to add to this team. I'd prefer Pervis as he looks like he'll be a much better shooter, and still a pretty good defender.
[RCG]
Head Coach

Post#37 » by [RCG] » Mon Dec 3, 2012 5:37 pm

I know there isn't a ton of talent in the draft but it appears that there could be a number of intriguing big man prospects littered throughout as well as some 2s to develop:

Zeller, Noels, Gobert, Austin, Withey
Muhammad, Goodwin, McCollum, BJ Young, Porter, Carter-Williams, Jamaal Franklin, Snaer, Bullock

That's 14 guys who have some upside at positions of need.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt
MNister89
Sophomore
And1: 7

Post#38 » by MNister89 » Mon Dec 3, 2012 5:55 pm

Piecake wrote:I dont think Rodney Williams will turn into a good pro at all. He cant dribble, cant shoot, and basically uses his superior athleticism to score points in the paint. That wont work in the pros. Basically, he will be a worse Wes Johnson

I agree that we should definitely go after a wing. Either by drafting or trading the pick+assets to pick up a proven player.

Cant say I know much about the prospects in the mid first round since its a bit early, but Lebryan Nash sounds awesome. Combination of lebron + Bryant + Nash? Sign me up!

I think Rodney is going to be a steal. Yes i'm a Gopher homer and I fell for the Wes Johnson hype too, but Rodney is not the same player that Wes was. Rodney, first of all, is not afraid of contact and is MUCH more aggressive getting to the rim than Wes. Also, Rodney is a much more polished player on the defensive side and on the boards. Wes was attractive in part due to his nice shooting stats, but he was not the defensive stud many expected he'd be. Turns out that Syracuse's infamous zone defense did veil Wes' average fundamentals and elementary understanding of angles and help defense. Tubby has made Rodney his pet project over the last four years he has gotten a little better each year. Now he looks like one of the most versatile and useful players in the entire nation and the (Top 20) Gophers are officially his team.

Similarly, I think Rodney can shoot just as well as Wes (not saying much I know) has in the NBA and brings a much better mentality and attitude than timid old Wes J. Also worth noting is that Wes was a full two years older than Rodney is now when drafted and while that may seem trivial, it is a substantial difference from a developmental standpoint. Rodney also has embraced the role of glue guy and do-it-all freak which is something Wes never has done either in the NBA or college.

I think Rodney's best comparison is Jeff Taylor of Charlotte. Like Williams, Taylor was a senior wing with great athleticism and defensive skills. His four years at Vanderbilt saw him prove he was a very valuable two-way player who if anything lacked offensive upside. Rodney is very similar to Taylor but is a much more explosive athlete and is more comfortable playing inside than Taylor ever was.

Conclusion: Rodney Williams will be a consensus first-round pick by season's end, and if he isn't it will be either due to seriously bad play between then and now (always possible, especially for a Gopher) or because NBA teams, like with Taylor last summer, overlook the proven commodity in favor of the unknown upside pick. Rodney will make one NBA franchise very happy in the near future. Personally, I think learning from AK47 would be a blessing and might help Rodney finally start to make good on the seriously rare physical gifts he has. As an underclassmen, he was overrated as a prospect to the point where he is now criminally under-recognized and under-appreciated when it comes to his NBA potential. Hope Kahn scoops him up and lets Adelman turn him into the defensive freak we need behind AK on the wing.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#39 » by Klomp » Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:24 am

Speaking of Rodney

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqcJeEDtOAk[/youtube]

:pray: :bowdown: :droop: :thumbsup: :love:

The J Rocka
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#40 » by The J Rocka » Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:33 am

Sick dunk. Mbakwe is manhandling those ND boys out there.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves