Better Career: Ray Allen vs Paul Pierce

Moderators: penbeast0, trex_8063, PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier

Who will end up having a better NBA career?

Ray Allen
26%
Paul Pierce
74%

Total votes: 19

MattKempMVP
Banned User
And1: 0

Better Career: Ray Allen vs Paul Pierce 

Post#1 » by MattKempMVP » Tue Nov 6, 2012 7:23 am

Ray is the greatest 3 point shooter ever, while Pierce's career is not really that special except that he's always a Celtic. I think so far Ray Allen has the better career. Moreover, Ray has a very good chance of surpassing Pierce's 1 ring. That would enlarge the gap between them.
jonjones
Banned User
And1: 1

Re: Better Career: Ray Allen vs Paul Pierce 

Post#2 » by jonjones » Tue Nov 6, 2012 7:31 am

Paul!
Young_Star11
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,767

Post#3 » by Young_Star11 » Tue Nov 6, 2012 9:03 am

So close. Ray will be more remembered than PP for his three-point exploits.

If I had to, I'd say Ray.
ardee
RealGM
And1: 5,221

Post#4 » by ardee » Tue Nov 6, 2012 10:09 am

MattKempMVP wrote:Ray is the greatest 3 point shooter ever, while Pierce's career is not really that special except that he's always a Celtic. I think so far Ray Allen has the better career. Moreover, Ray has a very good chance of surpassing Pierce's 1 ring. That would enlarge the gap between them.

Not really that special? He's the 5th greatest player of the 2nd greatest franchise ever.
GAME TIME
Banned User
And1: 50

Post#5 » by GAME TIME » Tue Nov 6, 2012 6:13 pm

Pierce

Better peak.

More versatile, can score in the low post, shoot from outside, and even fake an injury leaving in a wheelchair :lol:

You notice the Celtics kept Pierce over Allen, another reason why Pierce is more valuable to the organization.
JordansBulls
RealGM
And1: 5,313

Post#6 » by JordansBulls » Tue Nov 6, 2012 7:46 pm

Paul Pierce because of the 2008 team and him getting finals mvp and also having to go thru Lebron and Kobe in the process.
"Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships."
- Michael Jordan
GAME TIME
Banned User
And1: 50

Post#7 » by GAME TIME » Tue Nov 6, 2012 8:33 pm

JordansBulls wrote:Paul Pierce because of the 2008 team and him getting finals mvp and also having to go thru Lebron and Kobe in the process.

Kobe played D on Rondo/allen in that series. Lebron played vs Pierce.

Pierce had Rad man playing D. Ariza wasn't 100 percent, didn't play in the playoffs.

Just to remind you.
StojkoVrankovic
RealGM
And1: 9,600

Post#8 » by StojkoVrankovic » Tue Nov 6, 2012 8:59 pm

MattKempMVP wrote:Ray is the greatest 3 point shooter ever, while Pierce's career is not really that special except that he's always a Celtic. I think so far Ray Allen has the better career. Moreover, Ray has a very good chance of surpassing Pierce's 1 ring. That would enlarge the gap between them.

Every post revolves around trolling the Celtics

You forgot that Ray Allen was the main reason the Celtics lost to the Lakers in the finals

This is Paul Pierce all day long
RIP texas celtic, 12/10/14 - 12/10/14
Nitro1118
Senior
And1: 202

Post#9 » by Nitro1118 » Tue Nov 6, 2012 9:13 pm

I think Allen had the more impressive career. People forget how good he was with Milwaukee and Seattle, and while I'd say Pierce's peak was SLIGHTLY better, it's not as big of a difference as people make it out to be. In his prime Ray was a 25/4/4 on .590 TS% player. We ain't talking about Reggie Miller here...dude was very underrated.

Add in all the 3pt records he's broken and I'd say he had the more special career.
Cobra Kai Dojo
Sophomore
And1: 18

Post#10 » by Cobra Kai Dojo » Tue Nov 6, 2012 9:31 pm

Pierce is the better player, and had more to do with the 2008 C's run. I feel anything Allen does now on Miami wont really have any effect on his overall status
OFWGKTA
General Manager
And1: 12,141

Post#11 » by OFWGKTA » Tue Nov 6, 2012 9:38 pm

I don't really see an argument for Ray Allen. Throughout their careers Pierce has scored more(on .569 TS vs. Allen .580), gotten more assists, more rebounds, and has always been considered the better defender. Both are clutch as hell, however. 4 All NBA selections for Pierce versus 2 for Allen. Both are 10 time allstars, but Pierce did it in two fewer seasons of being in the league.
Froob wrote:Friends is like Kyle Lowry, everyone says it's amazing but you sit down and watch it and you're just like meh...

GuyClinch wrote: Regulation is mostly to blame - also excessive medical costs.
Swimmer
Pro Prospect
And1: 9

Post#12 » by Swimmer » Tue Nov 6, 2012 10:38 pm

They had similar offensive numbers, with a solid edge in rebounding for Pierce (positional). Ray was a slightly more efficient player, a better three-point shooter, and a worse defender.

I think this goes to Pierce, as defense is half the game.
Bertrob
RealGM
And1: 8,821

Post#13 » by Bertrob » Tue Nov 6, 2012 11:12 pm

ardee wrote:

Not really that special? He's the 5th greatest player of the 2nd greatest franchise ever.

5th? Really? I love Paul but hes nowhere near the Top 5
1. Russell
2. Bird
3. Cousy
4. Heinsohn
5. Cowens
6. Sam Jones
Then hes in a tier with guys like Sharman, white. etc.
Theres no real argument for Pierce in the Top 5
DarkAzcura
General Manager
And1: 7,137

Post#14 » by DarkAzcura » Tue Nov 6, 2012 11:17 pm

bertrob wrote:
ardee wrote:

5th? Really? I love Paul but hes nowhere near the Top 5
1. Russell
2. Bird
3. Cousy
4. Heinsohn
5. Cowens
6. Sam Jones
Then hes in a tier with guys like Sharman, white. etc.
Theres no real argument for Pierce in the Top 5

Yes, there is, and many have argued it. The only guys who don't put Pierce in the top 5 are old guys in the Boston media who look back at the 60's - 80's with the greenest shade of sunglasses I've ever seen. Pierce is without a doubt a top 5 Celtic when his career is over. Even Tommy would laugh a thousand times over if you ever said he was better than Pierce.

Only guys above Pierce are: Russell, Bird, Cousy, and Hondo.
Bertrob
RealGM
And1: 8,821

Post#15 » by Bertrob » Wed Nov 7, 2012 12:11 am

DarkAzcura wrote:Yes, there is, and many have argued it. The only guys who don't put Pierce in the top 5 are old guys in the Boston media who look back at the 60's - 80's with the greenest shade of sunglasses I've ever seen. Pierce is without a doubt a top 5 Celtic when his career is over. Even Tommy would laugh a thousand times over if you ever said he was better than Pierce.

Only guys above Pierce are: Russell, Bird, Cousy, and Hondo.

Yeah I meant Hondo when I wrote Heinsohn. My mistake.
Anyways the only reason people argue it is because hes currently the Celtics Captain, and indeed a Celtics all-time great. Its impossible to differentiate between eras, you have to look at what they did in that era.

What argument does Pierce have over Cowens? Cowens won more rings for the franchise while being a better individual player.

Sam Jones? Much more rings, and was an all-star himself. He was pretty crucial to those 60s rings

Theres nothing wrong with Pierce being in the tier with Heinsohn, Sharman, White. Its laughable that people think that its somehow "demeaning" or "disrespectful" as awesome as Paul is hes has very few individual accolades (4 all-nba teams), one ring, an undeserved Finals MVP. Theres a lot of off-court stuff as well but its mostly fluff. The fact is that there are a lot of guys who have given a lot to this franchise, and Paul is one of them, but hes not one of the greatest. We're the greatest franchise in basketball. We have a lot of amazing history.
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 19,355

Post#16 » by Doctor MJ » Wed Nov 7, 2012 12:55 am

I think your perspective is skewed. Sure if you look at which player stands out based on a particular niche, Allen's an amazing shooter, but Pierce is a more capable all around player.

As much as I love Ray Ray, were I building my team around one of the two, it would certainly be Pierce.
Getting ready for the RealGM 100 on the PC Board

Come join the WNBA Board if you're a fan!
D Nice
Veteran
And1: 473

Post#17 » by D Nice » Wed Nov 7, 2012 4:16 am

This is Pierce. Their careers ran fairly concurrently and Pierce was always clearly the better player. Ray has a more special place in history for his specialized skill, and is an all-time utility player, but I've got Ray in the 40-45 range and Pierce ranked top 30.

If he didn't play alongside Kobe/Carter/T-Mac he would've stood out a lot more, but as it stands Ray still hasn't done enough to close the gap. Being a spot-up shooter on a title team at this point wouldn't trump Pierce putting up bigger numbers on a conference semis/conference finals level squad, so no, a hypothetical title is moot (unless it's Boston winning it).
JordansBulls
RealGM
And1: 5,313

Post#18 » by JordansBulls » Wed Nov 7, 2012 2:03 pm

GAME TIME wrote:
JordansBulls wrote:Paul Pierce because of the 2008 team and him getting finals mvp and also having to go thru Lebron and Kobe in the process.

Kobe played D on Rondo/allen in that series. Lebron played vs Pierce.

Pierce had Rad man playing D. Ariza wasn't 100 percent, didn't play in the playoffs.

Just to remind you.

How does that change anything I said?
"Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships."
- Michael Jordan
bostonfan34
Bench Warmer
And1: 12

Post#19 » by bostonfan34 » Wed Nov 7, 2012 2:18 pm

D Nice wrote:This is Pierce. Their careers ran fairly concurrently and Pierce was always clearly the better player. Ray has a more special place in history for his specialized skill, and is an all-time utility player, but I've got Ray in the 40-45 range and Pierce ranked top 30.

If he didn't play alongside Kobe/Carter/T-Mac he would've stood out a lot more, but as it stands Ray still hasn't done enough to close the gap. Being a spot-up shooter on a title team at this point wouldn't trump Pierce putting up bigger numbers on a conference semis/conference finals level squad, so no, a hypothetical title is moot (unless it's Boston winning it).

Pretty much sums it up. Pierce has had the better career, was better than Ray in his prime, and is better now.
bball34
Banned User
And1: 5

Post#20 » by bball34 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:06 pm

Ray >>>>>>>>>> Pierce

Return to Player Comparisons