ImageImageImageImageImage

Kevin Seraphin

Moderators: nate33, montestewart, LyricalRico

tontoz
RealGM
And1: 3,824

Re: Kevin Seraphin 

Post#1401 » by tontoz » Tue Nov 6, 2012 3:56 pm

Kevin's offensive efficiency is compromised by the fact that he rarely attacks the basket/gets to the foul line. While he has a very good hook shot with both hands he isn't going to shoot over 60% consistently with them. He needs to get more easy looks to be truly efficient for a big man.

The good news is that he seems to have already mastered the hard part, hitting hooks and midrange jumpers. That is much harder than learning up and under moves or basic drives the basket.
"bulky agile perimeter bone crunch pick setting draymond green" WizD
GhostsOfGil
General Manager
And1: 899

Post#1402 » by GhostsOfGil » Tue Nov 6, 2012 4:10 pm

More good news: He's a career 70% FT shooter. So even if he draws fouls a low ratte, his FT shooting efficiency should help make up for it.
Nivek
Head Coach
And1: 959

Post#1403 » by Nivek » Tue Nov 6, 2012 4:10 pm

GhostsOfGil wrote:Kev, It's easy to get mixed up. In Wizards terms: Average efficiency = Amazingly efficient. :wink:

:rofl:
"A lot of what we call talent is the desire to practice."
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
Nivek
Head Coach

Post#1404 » by Nivek » Tue Nov 6, 2012 4:14 pm

GhostsOfGil wrote:More good news: He's a career 70% FT shooter. So even if he draws fouls a low ratte, his FT shooting efficiency should help make up for it.

Average FT% is 75%. He'd lose a little ground efficiency-wise shooting 70% from the line.
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
Upper Decker
Rookie
And1: 166

Post#1405 » by Upper Decker » Tue Nov 6, 2012 4:19 pm

Nivek wrote:
Upper Decker wrote:
closg00 wrote:Look at all of the Euros who are playing in the NBA, they generally have better fundamentals and work habits relative to their US counterparts. Kudos to Kevin.

It's amazing to compare the progress of Keveen to seemingly the regression of John Wall. Two years ago Veen literally looked like he had no place in the NBA. Honestly he was awful. Now he's amazingly efficient and probably the best player on the team. Wall has regressed and currently owns the worst shot in the league and is the league leader in TOs. The difference? Hard work and only Keveen's doing it.

"Amazingly efficient" might be overstating things. Seraphin had a great game that was indeed amazingly efficient, but his streak of good play at the end of last season was actually about average in terms of efficiency. An amazing improvement considering how bad he was as a rookie, but not amazingly efficient. He could get there, of course. His offensive game looks really good, and he was going against Garnett, who's one of the best defenders in league history. Seraphin's improvement is one of the reasons I didn't like the Okariza deal.

I'm willing to wait and see before proclaiming Wall "regressed". He was about the same from rookie year to year two. We'll see what kind of work he put in when he's healthy enough to get back on the floor.

I'll agree I embellished a little on Veen being 'amazingly efficient', good call out. He's efficient. Regarding Wall. I think the regression comes in the sense that after his rookie season the two area's he needed to work on most were turnovers and his jump shot. John shot a worse % on long 2's and shot substantially worse beyond 3 during his sophomore year, in addition, his turnovers remained the same, actually got a little worse during his 2nd season. Hopefully he returns and shows improvements. He's literally an average jump shot away from being elite / borderline elite.
GhostsOfGil
General Manager
And1: 899

Post#1406 » by GhostsOfGil » Tue Nov 6, 2012 4:26 pm

Nivek wrote:
GhostsOfGil wrote:More good news: He's a career 70% FT shooter. So even if he draws fouls a low ratte, his FT shooting efficiency should help make up for it.

Average FT% is 75%. He'd lose a little ground efficiency-wise shooting 70% from the line.

I assume that number is league wide. I was thinking more in terms of centers only.
Ed Wood
Sixth Man
And1: 262

Post#1407 » by Ed Wood » Tue Nov 6, 2012 4:31 pm

Nivek wrote:

That doesn't seem right. He may not be helping himself as much as the average player by getting to the line but I'm pretty sure that a 70% conversion rate at the line is still salubrious to overall efficiency assuming you aren't already posting a comparable eFG. Anyway, Kevin does need to get better at drawing fouls, to which end his unusual facility with short range jumpers and hooks actually holds him back, but merely solid offense isn't so unsatisfactory when taken in conjunction with his defensive excellence.
Nivek
Head Coach

Post#1408 » by Nivek » Tue Nov 6, 2012 4:51 pm

Ed: I was speaking of Seraphin's efficiency in comparison to other players. In terms of the math, 70% free throw shooting will boost his overall effiency -- just not as much of a boost as a 75% free shooter would boost his.
-- Malcolm Gladwell

dobrojim
RealGM
And1: 3,301

Post#1409 » by dobrojim » Tue Nov 6, 2012 5:02 pm

GhostsOfGil wrote:Kev, It's easy to get mixed up. In Wizards terms: Average efficiency = Amazingly efficient. :wink:

sheepishly raises hand - I'm guilty.

Sorry
A lot of what we call 'thought' is just mental activity

When you are accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression

Those who are convinced of absurdities, can be convinced to commit atrocities
hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Post#1410 » by hands11 » Tue Nov 6, 2012 6:01 pm

FAH1223 wrote:Kevin has also only been playing basketball for a few years. The fact that he's this good speaks volumes to how much he works.

He really might be the best pick Ernie has made or will make in his tenure here in Washington.

The good sign was that the Spurs wanted to draft him in 2010... and the Spurs needed and still need a defensive bruiser next to Duncan. I'm glad we snatched him where we did. He's going to get better and I think he'll really take off.

The best thing about Wittman is he has given this guy a shot.

From what I remember, they did some nice trade day moves to jump ahead of SA to get him. EG doesn't get enough props for that.
hands11
Banned User

Post#1411 » by hands11 » Tue Nov 6, 2012 6:14 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:SunKing, I wanted a couple other players when Kevin Seraphin was drafted. I didn't know much about Kevin and I thought a buyout from Cholet might be expensive. However, it didn't take me long to change my opinion about Kevin.

From this very first press conference I have liked him a lot. :)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfwopgf5Itk[/youtube]

Big dude looked ready to go. He's not soft. He's very enthusiastic. I can tell having watched his game evolve that Kevin Seraphin is a thinker and he is rapidly evolving on the court. I believe he should rebound better, but his offense is much better than what he's shown so far IMO.

The one thing I do like about the Nene trade is that it brought the right veteran to help Kevin. I think Okafor won't be in front of Kevin for long in the rotation, or if he is Seraphin will be the one finishing games.

It doesn't matter to me so much who starts. But I do believe they need to divide them up so they match well in the pairings. I have posted about that before.

While Kevin and Nene may play great together, I would want to maximize and balance the line ups.

Nene/Okafor and Kevin, Ves
Nene/Ves and Kevin/Oakfor

I think Booker needs to play with a taller player or if he is out there with a rebounder like Okafor or Barron, they need their best scoring ball handling guards and SFs with him. Booker fits in better one they have Wall back. Same is true of Beal and probably Webster. I think Web will look a lot better once he can spot up for open shots. Then he can drive off the pump fakes.

I think the front court combinations will be a lot easier when they add Nene back to the line up. Nene is a more experienced Kevin and we saw what adding Kevin back did for them. Plus Nene is a good passer.

Its not a bad roster really. They are just missing two really really important pieces that make the other support pieces better.
hands11
Banned User

Post#1412 » by hands11 » Tue Nov 6, 2012 6:24 pm

tontoz wrote:Kevin's offensive efficiency is compromised by the fact that he rarely attacks the basket/gets to the foul line. While he has a very good hook shot with both hands he isn't going to shoot over 60% consistently with them. He needs to get more easy looks to be truly efficient for a big man.

The good news is that he seems to have already mastered the hard part, hitting hooks and midrange jumpers. That is much harder than learning up and under moves or basic drives the basket.

Exactly. One thing at a time.

He needs to just keep taking the shots he is and to focus on rebounding better which he did last game. He did say that one one thing he worked on over the summer.

Once the shots are challenged more and the double teams come, he will need to adjust. Good news is.. Nene can help him with that since he is a good passer. Nene also knows when to drive so he can teach him that as well.

That's when the monster dunks are going to start to happen. I can't wait. :wink:

It was a rough preseason without Wall, Nene and then Kevin. We are getting a late start as far as having the players we needed out there so the fans could be more positive about the team. But Kevin only missed on regular season game and come back a week ahead of schedule. With him back, we have something to rally around which is nice.
dobrojim
RealGM
And1: 3,301

Post#1413 » by dobrojim » Tue Nov 6, 2012 6:38 pm

hands11 wrote:
FAH1223 wrote:Kevin has also only been playing basketball for a few years. The fact that he's this good speaks volumes to how much he works.

He really might be the best pick Ernie has made or will make in his tenure here in Washington.

The good sign was that the Spurs wanted to draft him in 2010... and the Spurs needed and still need a defensive bruiser next to Duncan. I'm glad we snatched him where we did. He's going to get better and I think he'll really take off.

The best thing about Wittman is he has given this guy a shot.

From what I remember, they did some nice trade day moves to jump ahead of SA to get him. EG doesn't get enough props for that.

I don't recall any extra moves being necessary. It's perfectly fair to criticize EG for the
need to blow up the team, but the Hinrich trade was a thing of beauty for us.
Got 2/3rds season of KH for 8-9 million (yearly rate) for the rights to Vladimir Veremenko (sp?).
Also got CHI's first rnd pick which was KS. Then when we traded KH, we got ATL's first rnd pick
(Chris Singleton) and Crawford, Mo Evans, Bibby and some forgettable big(iirc). All for the rights to VV.
And the willingness to pay KH for season -> trading deadline.
A lot of what we call 'thought' is just mental activity

When you are accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression

Those who are convinced of absurdities, can be convinced to commit atrocities
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,701

Post#1414 » by montestewart » Tue Nov 6, 2012 7:48 pm

There was also buying out Bibby (was that $4 million or less, I forget). It looked good on paper, but took KS a while to develop, and by the time he started to look like something last year, the play of Crawford and Singleton indicated that they might not be important pieces in the future. I'll be surprised if Crawford ever works out, but Singleton may eventually be an OK player. Regardless, Seraphin looks good, and he looks like he might one day turn out to be something special. Even if he doesn't, that was still the kind of bold move I wish was the rule rather than the exception here. It was definitely a good trade. Was it Leonsis' call or EG's?

(PS: When the team bought out Bibby, how did that "something for nothing" get by Leonsis?)
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,506

Post#1415 » by closg00 » Wed Nov 7, 2012 12:36 am

Kevin made Hollinger's All Breakout Team, so Hollinger doesn't hate the Wizards, just the management.

Kevin Seraphin, Washington Wizards
Seraphin could potentially find himself boxed in by the more veteran combination of Emeka Okafor and Nene, but I suspect he'll still average about 30 minutes a game once one considers that (A) Seraphin is probably better than Okafor at this point, and (B) Nene likely will beg out of 15-20 games with assorted hangnails and ear-lobe contusions.

When Seraphin plays, he has shown he can play well. Last April, he emerged as a starter and averaged 15.5 points and 7.0 boards, flashing a vastly improved midrange jumper and a nice jump hook from the block. He turns 23 in December and took up the game at a late age, so there's still a lot of potential improvement on the way. He missed Washington's season opener, unfortunately, but look for him to establish himself as a solid frontcourt starter this season.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/story/_/ ... am-2012-13
veji1
Starter
And1: 488

Post#1416 » by veji1 » Wed Nov 7, 2012 8:20 am

Not taking big risks here Hollinger... It is for me quite clear at this point that Seraphin is, at the minimum, a 14/7 player already. The question is can he be more than that ? Can he be a better rebounder, can he get opposing bigs in foul trouble, can he become the focus of an inside-out offense with efficient ball movement, etc...

But he is already a 14/7 player with established moves and zones where he is confortable strutting his stuff...
hands11
Banned User

Post#1417 » by hands11 » Wed Nov 7, 2012 8:25 am

montestewart wrote:There was also buying out Bibby (was that $4 million or less, I forget). It looked good on paper, but took KS a while to develop, and by the time he started to look like something last year, the play of Crawford and Singleton indicated that they might not be important pieces in the future. I'll be surprised if Crawford ever works out, but Singleton may eventually be an OK player. Regardless, Seraphin looks good, and he looks like he might one day turn out to be something special. Even if he doesn't, that was still the kind of bold move I wish was the rule rather than the exception here. It was definitely a good trade. Was it Leonsis' call or EG's?

(PS: When the team bought out Bibby, how did that "something for nothing" get by Leonsis?)

I'm sure finding talent is more EG and his team. Trading picks and taking on contracts that get bought out would involve Ted more. Deciding to swop out, buy out, etc contracts like Lewis would involve a lot of Ted.
hands11
Banned User

Post#1418 » by hands11 » Wed Nov 7, 2012 8:27 am

closg00 wrote:Kevin made Hollinger's All Breakout Team, so Hollinger doesn't hate the Wizards, just the management.

Kevin Seraphin, Washington Wizards
Seraphin could potentially find himself boxed in by the more veteran combination of Emeka Okafor and Nene, but I suspect he'll still average about 30 minutes a game once one considers that (A) Seraphin is probably better than Okafor at this point, and (B) Nene likely will beg out of 15-20 games with assorted hangnails and ear-lobe contusions.

When Seraphin plays, he has shown he can play well. Last April, he emerged as a starter and averaged 15.5 points and 7.0 boards, flashing a vastly improved midrange jumper and a nice jump hook from the block. He turns 23 in December and took up the game at a late age, so there's still a lot of potential improvement on the way. He missed Washington's season opener, unfortunately, but look for him to establish himself as a solid frontcourt starter this season.

How is getting 30 minutes getting boxed in by Okafor and Nene.
http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/story/_/ ... am-2012-13
le crapaud
Sophomore
And1: 31

Post#1419 » by le crapaud » Wed Nov 7, 2012 11:00 am

That's great to see you, wiz fans, loving our french big fella :D . His game vs Boston was just a stellar performance on both ends of the floor. I'm still angry at our french national coach for not using him properly in olympics. He's obviously our future in NT but he's already our present and the fact is that they don't have a clue...it's all for Parker & Diaw, same mistakes all over again...and after every elmimination we hear same BS as "TP can't do it all by himself". Well, Kevin isn't a role player who just set big screens and watch you play. You have to use him and i'm glad that the wiz are trying to do so.

I don't know why you have concerns about his rebounding. It's all about the team and if you look at it, wizards just totally outrebounded celtics last game. I mean, Kev's way to box out is impressive and nobody in green shirt could approach the paint and try to take an offensive rebound. He's just rock solid and control perfectly his opponent so that his teammates can grab those rebounds quite easily. His rebounding is really not an issue.
Higga
Lead Assistant
And1: 831

Post#1420 » by Higga » Wed Nov 7, 2012 6:55 pm

Good to see a young project draft pick start to pan out. Hope he continues to get minutes.

With Wall, Beal, and Seraphin we have three nice young pieces to build around. Wish we didn't anchor ourselves with so many bad contracts though...
Eric Maynor is the worst basketball player I've ever seen.

Return to Washington Wizards