Moderators: nate33, montestewart, LyricalRico

montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,701

Re: Bradley Beal 

Post#501 » by montestewart » Wed Nov 7, 2012 2:27 am

Knighthonor wrote:
Nivek wrote:By the way, I took another look at Beal's first two games in comparison to the other teenage rookies and STILL found no reason for panic.

To summarize: Beal's first two games were terrible. Here are a few players whose first two games were even worse (per minute):

- Corey Maggette
- Josh Smith
- Louis Williams
- Shawn Kemp
- Carmelo Anthony
- Eric Gordon
- Gilbert Arenas
- Tyson Chandler
- Kobe Bryant
- Ersan Ilyasova

I like what you trying to do, but still seem Scapegoat like. this franchise need talent. and its more damaging to a team like this, compared to the rest of those other teams, because the Wizards have the worst record in the history of the NBA, compared to other teams.

The bolded statement above is not true.

Seraphin looked historically bad his first year, but so did Bynum and others that turned out pretty well. Nivek (or someone) suggested waiting 20 games before starting to worry about Beal. Sounds reasonable.

PS: Following a four-year NCAA career, 22-year-old rookie Jordan Crawford had 4 points (2-9 FGs) to go with 3 RBs and 3 assists, in about 32 minutes across his first four games. Did you panic? I didn't panic until he became a Wizard.
jblaze2004
Freshman
And1: 1

Post#502 » by jblaze2004 » Wed Nov 7, 2012 7:47 pm

i don't want to make an excuse but john wall playing would really help beal. AJ price and pargo are bums and other teams know it. They do not have to really sag off on beal to help guard our other PG's. But beal also has to be alot more aggressive.
Nivek
Head Coach
And1: 959

Post#503 » by Nivek » Wed Nov 7, 2012 7:53 pm

Knighthonor wrote:
Nivek wrote:By the way, I took another look at Beal's first two games in comparison to the other teenage rookies and STILL found no reason for panic.

To summarize: Beal's first two games were terrible. Here are a few players whose first two games were even worse (per minute):

- Corey Maggette
- Josh Smith
- Louis Williams
- Shawn Kemp
- Carmelo Anthony
- Eric Gordon
- Gilbert Arenas
- Tyson Chandler
- Kobe Bryant
- Ersan Ilyasova

I like what you trying to do, but still seem Scapegoat like. this franchise need talent. and its more damaging to a team like this, compared to the rest of those other teams, because the Wizards have the worst record in the history of the NBA, compared to other teams.

I'm failing to understand what you're saying here. The point I've made is that what we've seen so far from Beal isn't indicative of his overall talent level. I agree completely that the Wizards need talent -- they're decisions to bypass talent this offseason was (is) frustrating. But Beal's first two games says NOTHING about his long-term prospects as a pro. NOTHING about whether he'll be good or bad or mediocre. NOTHING about whether he's going to be a bust or a future All-Star.

Give him 20 games -- hell, make it 10 games -- before starting the hand-wringing about him being a bust.
"A lot of what we call talent is the desire to practice."
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
fishercob
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#504 » by fishercob » Wed Nov 7, 2012 8:46 pm

GhostsOfGil wrote:Kev, does Mike Prada read our board? Saw your blog was getting some love over at BF. 8-)

He has posted here under the name "pradamaster."

If they had the same style of message board as we do here (as opposed to those "threads") I'd go over there much more, as their content is far better.
"Some people have a way with words....some people....not have way."
— Steve Martin
AFM
General Manager
And1: 6,112

Post#505 » by AFM » Wed Nov 7, 2012 8:48 pm

The discussion here is much better.
GhostsOfGil
General Manager
And1: 899

Post#506 » by GhostsOfGil » Wed Nov 7, 2012 9:00 pm

fishercob wrote:
GhostsOfGil wrote:Kev, does Mike Prada read our board? Saw your blog was getting some love over at BF. 8-)

He has posted here under the name "pradamaster."

If they had the same style of message board as we do here (as opposed to those "threads") I'd go over there much more, as their content is far better.

Thanks. It would be nice if he posted here more often but I understand he has his own community over at SB Nation. BF has great articles but I've found that outside this forum, knowledgeable basketball discussion just doesn't exist.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,853

Post#507 » by payitforward » Wed Nov 7, 2012 10:56 pm

Nivek wrote:The point I've made is that ... Beal's first two games says NOTHING about his long-term prospects as a pro. NOTHING about whether he'll be good or bad or mediocre. NOTHING about whether he's going to be a bust or a future All-Star.

Give him 20 games -- hell, make it 10 games -- before starting the hand-wringing about him being a bust.

It'd be interesting to see stats on the development of rookies who play their first game within a few months of turning 19.

Everybody's excited about Lillard -- and he's looked great. He's fully 3 years older than Bradley Beal.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
AWIZZINGBULLET
Rookie
And1: 139

Post#508 » by AWIZZINGBULLET » Thu Nov 8, 2012 12:44 am

Gonna call it early, I think Beal finds himself in this game in Boston. Looks aggressive.
Knighthonor
Sixth Man
And1: 98

Post#509 » by Knighthonor » Thu Nov 8, 2012 4:40 am

YAY BEAL!!

Play like you play. Stop letting the Pressure get to you.
hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Post#510 » by hands11 » Fri Nov 9, 2012 5:30 am

http://www.nba.com/wizards/video/2012/1 ... p4-2287312

How can you watch a video this and not at some point have a flash forward and imagine in your mind what he will look like in 3 years as a more seasoned pro.

I think the Wizards future is looking really bright with what they have in here in their younger players.
And I love the blend of personalities too. And I can't wait to see Johnny ball game and Beal out there together. I like that pairing. Just flip through your head of each of these guys in a video interview. Or clip those the link here and just watch the younger players.

http://www.nba.com/wizards/video/

Wall Fast runn'n fast talkn Johnny.
Beal. Soft spoken. Mindful. Family dude. So mature for his age. Smooth baller.
Keveen. Love the smiley giant. Deep voice with a cool ascent. True gentle giant but he will thump you.
Ves - Our white Czek Euro guy. Cool. Laid back. Focused. Go Go Gadgets.
Singleton - super soft spoken but focused. Strong kid with drive.
Booker - Pure jazz. Booker is a throwback type. Cool dude. Easy to like. Always calm. Always happy. Strong.
Crawford - Ow Crawford. Crazy Jazzy J. Big glasses. Heart of a lion. Coolio. Hes funny. Mr Confidence.

I'll even add Webster in the group since he is only 25. Web is the intense analytic. The motivator. The communicator. He brings the urgency. Of the group, he is the oldest at only 25.

Ages. 22, 19, 22, 22, 22, 24, 24, 25

It a good group of kids. You listen to everyone of them talk and they all always sound so focused and level headed about what they need to do next. All likable. Al focused. All serious about winning and getting better.

I look forward to watching each then mature another step this year. Right now, its Kevin who is the most fun to watch because he is really coming into his own. But I think each will have there moment in the sun this year. Can't wait to see Wall out there. Its a nice young core that has lots of upside that I think they will reach a good bit of because of their drive, focus, and coachability.
AWIZZINGBULLET
Rookie
And1: 139

Post#511 » by AWIZZINGBULLET » Fri Nov 9, 2012 5:58 am

Hands11 edit that last line on Kevin Seraphin before folks catch it.
Knighthonor
Sixth Man
And1: 98

Post#512 » by Knighthonor » Fri Nov 9, 2012 6:42 am

hands11 wrote:
Wall Fast runn'n fast talkn Johnny.
Beal. Soft spoken. Mindful. Family dude. So mature for his age. Smooth baller.
Keveen. Love the smiley giant. Deep voice with a cool ascent. True genital giant but he will thump you.
Ves - Our white Czek Euro guy. Cool. Laid back. Focused. Go Go Gadgets.
Singleton - super soft spoken but focused. Strong kid with drive.
Booker - Pure jazz. Booker is a throwback type. Cool dude. Easy to like. Always calm. Always happy. Strong.
Crawford - Ow Crawford. Crazy Jazzy J. Big glasses. Heart of a lion. Coolio. Hes funny. Mr Confidence.

Hey I caught that.
hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Post#513 » by hands11 » Fri Nov 9, 2012 8:27 am

AWIZZINGBULLET wrote:Hands11 edit that last line on Kevin Seraphin before folks catch it.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I might have to keep that one. lol

That was funny.

opps. To late. Looks like someone else took a different approach then you. Thanks for at least trying.
tontoz
RealGM
And1: 3,824

Post#514 » by tontoz » Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:25 pm

Through 5 games Beal is averaging 13 ppg with a TS% of 54% and a PER of 15. I think it might be a little early to hit the panic button.
"bulky agile perimeter bone crunch pick setting draymond green" WizD
80sballboy
RealGM
And1: 5,650

Post#515 » by 80sballboy » Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:32 pm

tontoz wrote:Through 5 games Beal is averaging 13 ppg with a TS% of 54% and a PER of 15. I think it might be a little early to hit the panic button.

You think? Guys were calling him a bust after 2 games. Kind of lose credibility after that. Anybody that can shoot will find a place in this league. Now he just needs to continue refining his game. I know the season is just about lost and it's difficult to watch this team, but I can't wait to Wall is finally healthy to see him play with BB.
DCsOwn
Junior
And1: 126

Post#516 » by DCsOwn » Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:08 pm

tontoz wrote:Through 5 games Beal is averaging 13 ppg with a TS% of 54% and a PER of 15. I think it might be a little early to hit the panic button.

He hasn't even begun to show the type of player he'll be eventually (he's going to very easily be a 22 ppg scorer in the league with a complete, efficient game in his prime imo) or this season even. Aside from the personal development we'll see from him over the next few seasons (better step through mid-range game off of screens, better off the pick and roll when we ask him to initiate the offense etc.), as soon as John comes back he's going to get significantly more, much easier shots when he's on the floor with John. Our fast-break offense is moribund at the moment, and virtually everything Beal is getting right now is coming with considerable effort in the half-court. Even beyond the myriad break opportunities you'll see him rack up with John pushing the ball, John is also going to get into the middle in half-court offense, collapse the defense and find Beal open probably five or six times a game. AJ Price, god love him, hasn't broken a defense down once this season (and I dont mean to disparage his efforts on the young season, he's played hard and to the best of his ability, but he's not that type of athlete.) That doesn't even factor in the cutting lay-up and spot up attempts he'll get playing off of NeNe. I expect his productivity and efficiency to greatly improve as the season wears on.
dlts20
RealGM
And1: 6,194

Post#517 » by dlts20 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:15 pm

1st time I posted in awhile. Loving the kids game. Maybe needs to be a lil more selfish but with the kinda players the Wiz have had for years, give me an unselfish guy anyday over the chuckers we normally have.

If I have one big problem with him, its his fighting for the ball on big plays. There have been a number of big plays, espically late in the game where he was the guy who should be looking for the ball or we flat out ran a play for him and the D easily took him away.

I dont see him fighting through the D to get the ball or demand the ball. Thats what I want to see. The D is going to shade on Kobe also but he's going to fight through all that, push you out the way, and make sure he gets the rock. Beal needs to learn that
fishercob
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#518 » by fishercob » Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:12 pm

The Wizards are screwing with Beal's development. He's playing too many minutes and being asked to do too much.

20 year-old Harden -- after two seasons in college -- played 23 mpg as a rookie. He played 27 mpg in his second year.

Beal is playing 29 mpg. He's playing along many guys who can't shoot, drive, or create for other. As a result he;s trying to do way too much. He's shooting whenever he's open, even if it's not a good shot. He's under undue pressure to help carry a terrible offense because of his draft position and potential. He's NOT ready for this type of role or burden and I worry about the long term implications.

It's a result of a disproportionate amount of faith being put into a subpar player with terrible habits -- Jordan Crawford. It's shows a complete failure to have any sort of viable contingency fan in the event of an injury to Wall.

Jarrett Jack, Ben Gordon, Lou Williams, Jamal Crawford, DJ Augustin, Darren Collison, Shannon Brown, Aaron Brooks, Kirk Hinrich, ROger Mason, Gerald Green, Randy FOye, Mrco Bellinelli and others all changed teams rather cheaply this summer. They would each provide varying degrees of help and depth and would allow Beal to be brought along properly.

This is a massive failure on Grinfeld's part and I hope that it won't stunt Beal's development. I am very concerned.
"Some people have a way with words....some people....not have way."
— Steve Martin
20MexicanosIn1Van
Veteran
And1: 318

Post#519 » by 20MexicanosIn1Van » Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:35 pm

Beal is playing fine - I think he will be at worst a borderline all-star. I can't wait to see him play with Wall.

It makes sense that people were over-reacting to his poor start - the Wizards don't really have a good track record at, well, anything.
jivelikenice
Analyst
And1: 145

Post#520 » by jivelikenice » Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:07 pm

I absolutely do not agree wih the idea that you need to limit his minutes for his development. it worked for Harden because they already had a number of scorers on the team and that wasn't going to be his role was never intedned to be a 1A or 1B of a team. Beal's role here is projected to be a leading scorer and as such, you have to the throw him into the fire and let him figure it out.

That being said, all the pre-draft fears have been warranted. He has trouble with his size, going to the basket, agression, and his shooting. The team was so intent on drafting for need (acting as though we were one piece away) they blew the opportunity to pick up multiple assets in a trade down and probably passed on Barnes based on the stupidity of thinking they had no minutes at the 3 because of Ariza. I wouldn't have taken Barnes @ 3, but I would have looked at trade down offers based on Barnes being there at certain draft slots. Or we should have more seriously looked at doing a deal with OKC for Harden....

Return to Washington Wizards