ImageImageImageImageImage

Wiz trade Shard and 2nd rounder for Okafor and Ariza-Part II

Moderators: nate33, montestewart, LyricalRico

hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Re: Wiz trade Shard and 2nd rounder for Okafor and Ariza-Par 

Post#101 » by hands11 » Thu Nov 8, 2012 3:08 pm

dangermouse wrote:Man, I kind of knew Ariza would be dissapointing, but I thought Okafor would play good defense, get boards and score garbage buckets. What the hell!

Now it looks like we will be stuck with them all year. Maybe the two of them could fetch us something in the offseason as expiring contracts? Sigh...

I really hope Ariza just opts out. Maybe he won't like the minutes-by-merit system Whittman uses and will choose to go elsewhere? We can only bloody hope.

Well since you'll keep beating this dead horse, I will beat mine.

They will look better when Wall and Nene returns. They were not core pieces. They were only vet specialty players added for depth in exchange of the Lewis crap contract that we were getting very little production for. Talk about a player that couldn't stay healthy. And he was doing it for over 20M a year. And the Lewis crap contract was only acquired to get ride of the Gil crap contract which was something Ted acquired when he bought the team

They will become more useful as specialty players when they add Wall and Nene.

Trevor A can get bought out next year if they want.

Now back to our regularly scheduled program.
tontoz
RealGM
And1: 3,824

Post#102 » by tontoz » Thu Nov 8, 2012 3:28 pm

hands11 wrote:Well since you'll keep beating this dead horse, I will beat mine.

:lol: @ this from Mr. Like-I-have-been-saying, I-told-you-last-year, etc.

The point many of us made at the time of the trade was that shelling out so much money for mediocre players made no sense. I haven't seen anything that would contradict that point of view.

Do you remember the guy who said last year that Vesely would be our franchise player this season?
"bulky agile perimeter bone crunch pick setting draymond green" WizD
GhostsOfGil
General Manager
And1: 899

Post#103 » by GhostsOfGil » Thu Nov 8, 2012 3:32 pm

Like everyone else, I've been extremely disappointed with Ariza and Okafor but I think Hands has a point. Right now, The Wizards are ranked towards the bottom at 19th in Pace factor. When Wall returns our fast break will come alive and I expect Ariza to be the biggest beneficiary of that. There's no way OkAriza plays this poorly, when Wall and Nene return.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 780

Post#104 » by LyricalRico » Thu Nov 8, 2012 3:42 pm

GhostsOfGil wrote:Like everyone else, I've been extremely disappointed with Ariza and Okafor but I think Hands has a point. Right now, The Wizards are ranked towards the bottom at 19th in Pace factor. When Wall returns our fast break will come alive and I expect Ariza to be the biggest beneficiary of that. There's no way OkAriza plays this poorly, when Wall and Nene return.

:nod:
Benjammin
Lead Assistant
And1: 359

Post#105 » by Benjammin » Thu Nov 8, 2012 3:59 pm

Now that's what I call a ringing endorsement: "There's no way OkAriza plays this poorly, when Wall and Nene return.

There's no hindsight here. The vast majority of the board hated the trade at the time, and nothing has changed. It was simply Ted's way to attempt to recoup a sunken cost in Lewis, but ironically enough sunk even more cost into two at best mediocre players.

Plus, I love when people talk about the Wizards being mediocre. Other than a few of the good Gil years, they haven't even been mediocre. They've sucked. Except for a few Webber years, they've sucked. Since the mid 80s they've consistently sucked.

No mediocrity here.
Nivek
Head Coach
And1: 959

Post#106 » by Nivek » Thu Nov 8, 2012 4:06 pm

A faster pace doesn't fix things -- pace doesn't cause efficiency or inefficiency. If the team is getting more transition baskets, their efficiency should improve overall. But, Wall is often a one-man fast break, not necessarily a guy who's pushing the ball and then dishing to a finisher.

Ariza and Okafor are extremely likely to play better -- significantly better -- than they've played so far regardless of when/if Wall and Nene return.
"A lot of what we call talent is the desire to practice."
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
GhostsOfGil
General Manager
And1: 899

Post#107 » by GhostsOfGil » Thu Nov 8, 2012 4:08 pm

Benjammin wrote:Now that's what I call a ringing endorsement: "There's no way OkAriza plays this poorly, when Wall and Nene return.

:lol: Ben, Just trying to cling to some optimism while we drown in a sea of turds.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 780

Post#108 » by LyricalRico » Thu Nov 8, 2012 4:21 pm

Nivek wrote:Ariza and Okafor are extremely likely to play better -- significantly better -- than they've played so far regardless of when/if Wall and Nene return.

Yeah, baby!

:clap:
verbal8
General Manager
And1: 1,363

Post#109 » by verbal8 » Thu Nov 8, 2012 4:55 pm

LyricalRico wrote:
Nivek wrote:Ariza and Okafor are extremely likely to play better -- significantly better -- than they've played so far regardless of when/if Wall and Nene return.

Yeah, baby!

They will probably also play better after EG is fired :)
tontoz
RealGM

Post#110 » by tontoz » Thu Nov 8, 2012 4:58 pm

LyricalRico wrote:

Yeah, baby!

It would certainly be hard for them to play much worse.
hands11
Banned User

Post#111 » by hands11 » Thu Nov 8, 2012 7:26 pm

tontoz wrote:

The point many of us made at the time of the trade was that shelling out so much money for mediocre players made no sense. I haven't seen anything that would contradict that point of view.

Do you remember the guy who said last year that Vesely would be our franchise player this season?

No, I don't remember who said that. Who was it ?

As for whoever said it was a trade for mediocre players, who would you rather they have traded the Lewis contract for that was something that was actually viable to happen ? Who else had something we could use that would have taken on that contract ?
Halcyon
Veteran
And1: 479

Post#112 » by Halcyon » Thu Nov 8, 2012 7:29 pm

I gotta say that I was dead wrong. I really didn't think these two would be this useless, but they have been. It would have been better to buy Shard out and not take on additional contracts for next year.
tontoz
RealGM

Post#113 » by tontoz » Thu Nov 8, 2012 7:34 pm

hands11 wrote:
tontoz wrote:

No, I don't remember who said that. Who was it ?

As for whoever said it was a trade for mediocre players, who would you rather they have traded the Lewis contract for that was something that was actually viable to happen ? Who else had something we could use that would have taken on that contract ?

LOL it was you. You were ranting against Wall early last year and said time and again that Vesely would end up being the franchise player this season. Pretty selective memory.

They shouldn't have traded Shard at all. Just buy him out.
hands11
Banned User

Post#114 » by hands11 » Thu Nov 8, 2012 7:34 pm

GhostsOfGil wrote:Like everyone else, I've been extremely disappointed with Ariza and Okafor but I think Hands has a point. Right now, The Wizards are ranked towards the bottom at 19th in Pace factor. When Wall returns our fast break will come alive and I expect Ariza to be the biggest beneficiary of that. There's no way OkAriza plays this poorly, when Wall and Nene return.

Thats all I'm trying to point out.

We know neither these guys was worth their contracts and that they were specialty players. Ted/EG know that also. I think they walked into this with their eyes open. Ted wanted to trade the Lewis contract and this is what he found he could get. Both will look better when they get a true PG which we have. Neither is slated to be here long term and neither is a core piece. Beating on how stupid a move or is this was at this point of the game when we have only seen the worst of it, smells of opportunistic beating of Ted/EG from people with that disposition already.

The way I see it, there are valid things to complain about. You can complain that Ted should have bought out the Lewis contract. But he didn't want to do that and didn't. His money. His call.

and

Given that, what better deal could they have gotten for the Lewis contract.
hands11
Banned User

Post#115 » by hands11 » Thu Nov 8, 2012 7:51 pm

Benjammin wrote:Now that's what I call a ringing endorsement: "There's no way OkAriza plays this poorly, when Wall and Nene return.

There's no hindsight here. The vast majority of the board hated the trade at the time, and nothing has changed. It was simply Ted's way to attempt to recoup a sunken cost in Lewis, but ironically enough sunk even more cost into two at best mediocre players.

Plus, I love when people talk about the Wizards being mediocre. Other than a few of the good Gil years, they haven't even been mediocre. They've sucked. Except for a few Webber years, they've sucked. Since the mid 80s they've consistently sucked.

No mediocrity here.

You speak of the Wizards as if they are this one thing. They are not. You have with Abe owning them Wizards and with Ted owning them Wizards. Same name. Same stadium. Different owner, players, and head coach.

Since Ted has owned them, they hit the hard reset button. He said he would and he did. I expected them to suck for a few years. So did they. They even did a planned tank to get high draft picks. Many people here welcomed that approach and excepted the short term pain.

Its not all one big mess of Wizards suck except for a few years.

I like this rebuild way better then what I saw when Abe owned them. ( yes, we all have different picks instead)
This rebuild has some legs. And it has some defense which many of us have wanted for years.
It has a real PG which I have wanted forever.
It has no problem knuckleheads which is refreshing.

Clearly this team is better then other Wizards teams we have seen regarding their defense and their defensive players.

Clearly Randy is a very good defensive coach.

Clearly they have added good young talent.

They are moving in the right direction. We are all anxious to see what the complete product will look like when we add back our two best players.

So two years of tank and now what looks to be a team that when healthy could be a playoff team and it still have a ton of young players and they are not in cap hell.

So what is all the complaining about except to complain. Objectively, things look a ton better then they did when Abe owned them. And its only been two years and 3 games.

Sure they have some current challenges. But its nothing they can't work through. They have been in all three games and doing so while very shorthanded. Its going to get better and its going to happen this year.

Wall and Nene are scheduled for another doctor appointment. Hopefully we get good news on both.
TGW
RealGM
And1: 5,869

Post#116 » by TGW » Thu Nov 8, 2012 8:02 pm

verbal8 wrote:
LyricalRico wrote:

Yeah, baby!

They will probably also play better after EG is fired :)

Some random troll wrote:Not to sound negative, but this team is owned by an arrogant cheapskate, managed by a moron and coached by an idiot. Recipe for disaster.
tontoz
RealGM

Post#117 » by tontoz » Thu Nov 8, 2012 8:05 pm

hands11 wrote:Not sure why is always amazes me how people take things so out of context but it does tend to be the same posters who do it.

I said, This (Vesely) is our franchise player. This kid will be the heart of the team by next year. So until next year happen, stuff it. Besides, it is my gut feeling and I have been very frustrated by what have have seen from Wall this year. What the hell do you care. Its a prediction about next year.

If you think I really care what you think, think again. For you to tell me my post are laughable is laughable considering the bunk you post. I have tried to play polite with your post but if you are going to came at me like this, I'm not going to bother. You want to drag the board down with this kind of bickering between posters, then lets do it.

viewtopic.php?f=35&p=29763863
hands11
Banned User

Post#118 » by hands11 » Thu Nov 8, 2012 8:10 pm

Show me where I said he would be the franchise player this year ?

Yes, I was complaining a lot about Wall early last year. CCJ and myself were all over that. The guy was driving me nuts with how he wasn't adapting his game by doing the most basic thing which was change of pace moves. He eventually learned to do that later in the year. Then he regressed. Then he discovered it again. Since then, I have been a Wall believer for the long term.

As for Ves, sure. I have pimped Ves. Specially back then when I was sick of the knuckleheads here. And I was responding to people saying he was a bust ( still happens today) when I could see he had some talent. I was anti trading the kid. But I talk about Ves long term and I still believe in him long term. Regarding franchiseness, that involved his marketability, not just what he was doing on the floor. Ves-e-ly Ves-e-ly Ves-e-ly. I like the kids mocky. I like his court awareness. But now they have Beal who is a top 2 pick. And Beal is a great kid with a great smile and the right personality. They will clearly market him. And they have Nene who is clearly the real deal. And now Keveeen has shown up. They didn't have all that early last year.

But calling him a franchise player this year ? Can't see me saying that. Specially after getting Nene. This year, I'm just hoping Ves starts to be able to hit a mid range this year. But longer term. Yeah. I'm pro Vesely. I think he is a piece of the pie. But the clear franchise players right now are Wall and Nene with Kevin looking like he is in the mix and clearly they hope Beal will be one of those pieces.

Now if that is the best you got to try to hold over my head with the amount of crap overacting stuff and down right wrong projections I read tossed around here all the time, that's pretty weak.
tontoz
RealGM

Post#119 » by tontoz » Thu Nov 8, 2012 8:16 pm

hands11 wrote:Show me where I said he would be the franchise player this year ?

I just did lol.

viewtopic.php?f=35&p=29763863

hands11 wrote:I said, This (Vesely) is our franchise player. This kid will be the heart of the team by next year.
verbal8
General Manager
And1: 1,363

Post#120 » by verbal8 » Thu Nov 8, 2012 8:16 pm

In Lewis' first 5 games with the Heat(and 93 minutes) he has more win-shares than he did in 28 games(700+ minutes) with the Wizards last season.

Return to Washington Wizards