WTF is going on with Ilyasova?

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis

sosa
Senior
And1: 1

WTF is going on with Ilyasova? 

Post#1 » by sosa » Thu Nov 8, 2012 9:29 pm

Question from a confused fantasy owner.

What's going on with Ersan? I've watched only one Bucks game so far, and I think he got into early foul trouble against the cavs.

Is he being frozen out of the offense by Jennings/Ellis?

Is Skiles screwing around with his playing time?

What are your expectations that he can turn it around this season? And, what needs to happen so that Ersan can get back to his game?

Please help. I'm terribly confused about his production so far. I spent a high draft pick on him in my league, and I desperately need him to produce like he did last year.
BigDoggyStyle
Senior
And1: 49

Re: WTF is going on with Ilyasova? 

Post#2 » by BigDoggyStyle » Thu Nov 8, 2012 9:31 pm

It's just Skiles being Skiles. Can affect any player at any time, with the exception of Jennings and Ellis.
EastSideBucksFan
RealGM
And1: 4,490

Post#3 » by EastSideBucksFan » Thu Nov 8, 2012 9:34 pm

Too many pumpfakes.

Ersan not being aggressive enough.

Also not getting passed the ball enough.

Also not seeing the floor long enough. He's a rhythm player.
sosa
Senior

Post#4 » by sosa » Thu Nov 8, 2012 9:36 pm

BigDoggyStyle wrote:It's just Skiles being Skiles. Can affect any player at any time, with the exception of Jennings and Ellis.

So, what's the difference between last year and this year with Skiles and Ilyasova? Did Ersan come into camp out of shape? Did he get lazy after getting paid? Is he in the dog house? Is L. Sanders/M. Dunleavy going to eat into his minutes all year long?

I'm just trying to gather some info from Bucks fans about him? I'm thinking about dealing him but I don't want to sell low, if you know what I mean.
JimmyTheKid
General Manager
And1: 5,099

Post#5 » by JimmyTheKid » Thu Nov 8, 2012 9:37 pm

BigDoggyStyle wrote:It's just Skiles being Skiles.
JustinCredible
Head Coach
And1: 2,965

Post#6 » by JustinCredible » Thu Nov 8, 2012 9:41 pm

Last year, Ersan got most of his production from 3pt shots, slashes to the basket, and put-backs. His shot isn't falling as well yet this year so far. The bigger long-term issue I see is that I think he was so effective last year due to playing next to Drew Gooden. Drew is a horrible player that should never be a center, but we had to use him there last year. One thing Drew is really good at is hitting the mid-range jumper. This pulled out the defense and allowed Ersan to get his slashes and offensive rebounds. That is going to be much more difficult playing alongside Dalembert and Sanders. I'd still much rather play anyone over Drew Gooden, but offensively it may be affecting Ersan.

Just a thought that has been brought up before by others.
All posts are my own opinion.
Twitter: @itsjwills
sosa
Senior

Post#7 » by sosa » Thu Nov 8, 2012 9:42 pm

**** SKILES!!!!...

How can you give someone that type of contract ($40m/5 years) and not give him the minutes?

Last question.... is there any hope for Ersan this year?
Buck You
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 541

Post#8 » by Buck You » Thu Nov 8, 2012 9:43 pm

The Tim Thomas contract year virus may have bit another buck.
sosa
Senior

Post#9 » by sosa » Thu Nov 8, 2012 9:44 pm

JustinCredible wrote:Last year, Ersan got most of his production from 3pt shots, slashes to the basket, and put-backs. His shot isn't falling as well yet this year so far. The bigger long-term issue I see is that I think he was so effective last year due to playing next to Drew Gooden. Drew is a horrible player that should never be a center, but we had to use him there last year. One thing Drew is really good at is hitting the mid-range jumper. This pulled out the defense and allowed Ersan to get his slashes and offensive rebounds. That is going to be much more difficult playing alongside Dalembert and Sanders. I'd still much rather play anyone over Drew Gooden, but offensively it may be affecting Ersan.

Just a thought that has been brought up before by others.

Appreciate the insight. That's the type of insider info I knew I could find on this board. Would it be wrong of me to hope Drew Gooden starts for the Bucks again? Lol
Nebula1
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#10 » by Nebula1 » Thu Nov 8, 2012 9:47 pm

Ersan is still hitting the boards, but the jumper isn't falling. I suspect it will as the season unfolds. I'm not worried about him, but I still wouldn't have re-signed him if I had my preferences.
EastSideBucksFan
RealGM
And1: 4,490

Post#11 » by EastSideBucksFan » Thu Nov 8, 2012 9:48 pm

sosa wrote:**** SKILES!!!!...

How can you give someone that type of contract ($40m/5 years) and not give him the minutes?

Last question.... is there any hope for Ersan this year?

Ersan gets better as the year goes along.

He's still a good lock to have a 13pts/8rebs sort of year, but if you're hoping for a 17/10 sort of year you might not get that.
zmanishere11
Sixth Man
And1: 241

Post#12 » by zmanishere11 » Thu Nov 8, 2012 9:49 pm

It's the NBA and he got paid - what'd you expect?

I wouldn't touch the guy for 3 more years. Year 5 is non-guarenteed, so he'll play his face off that 4th year. At this rate, you can probably pick him up in the later round of your 2015 draft
sosa
Senior

Post#13 » by sosa » Thu Nov 8, 2012 9:51 pm

I could live with 13/8 and good percentages.

I need him to have a string of good games, then I'll look to trade him.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,741

Post#14 » by ReasonablySober » Thu Nov 8, 2012 9:51 pm

In the 14 games Ersan started prior to the trade for Ellis he averaged 13 FGAs per game. In the 18 games after Ellis arrived Ersan averaged 10 FGA/game. I don't think they've really figured out how to get him involved with Ellis as the 1st or 2nd offensive option.
CanadaBucks
Assistant Coach
And1: 314

Post#15 » by CanadaBucks » Thu Nov 8, 2012 9:54 pm

I think it's 3 games into the season and way too early to make any rational conclusions
LUKE23
RealGM
And1: 6,213

Post#16 » by LUKE23 » Thu Nov 8, 2012 9:55 pm

DrugBust wrote:In the 14 games Ersan started prior to the trade for Ellis he averaged 13 FGAs per game. In the 18 games after Ellis arrived Ersan averaged 10 FGA/game. I don't think they've really figured out how to get him involved with Ellis as the 1st or 2nd offensive option.

This. Backcourt is eating up his FGA (and Tobias').
Nebula1
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#17 » by Nebula1 » Thu Nov 8, 2012 10:04 pm

It's more than just not getting the ball. His jumper isn't there yet. He'll probably be an 11/6/1 player by end of season. If his rebounds drift down, that's a red flag.
Fort Minor
Lead Assistant
And1: 70

Post#18 » by Fort Minor » Thu Nov 8, 2012 10:20 pm

Nebula1 wrote:It's more than just not getting the ball. His jumper isn't there yet. He'll probably be an 11/6/1 player by end of season. If his rebounds drift down, that's a red flag.

I'd say part of his jumper not falling is because he's not consistently getting the ball in his hands, considering that it's pretty evident that Ersan is a rhythm player. That, plus the annual early season "erratic minutes thanks to Skiles" problem.
BuckPack wrote:People still listen to Gery?
kebzach
Bench Warmer
And1: 11

Post#19 » by kebzach » Thu Nov 8, 2012 10:31 pm

Tough for me to blame Skiles for Ersan's lack of productivity thus far. I'll buy the fact that our backcourt isn't getting the ball to him enough, yes, but he is taking shots when he gets them..they're just not falling. With a bench full of PF's to choose from, it's tough for me to blame Skiles for giving one of them a chance over a cold shooting Ersan.
Turd Ferguson
Rookie
And1: 160

Post#20 » by Turd Ferguson » Thu Nov 8, 2012 10:41 pm

I don't think it's so much that Ersan is struggling mightily on his own, but that his lack of production has been a result of the stagnation that has been our offensive sets these last two games with Memphis and Cleveland. Our sets totally break down anywhere from 3-8 seconds after initiation, and we've spent the remainder of the shotclock often times with everyone else on the floor just looking at the ball handler, expecting him to make something happen.

Our pick and roll game has been atrocious so far. Simplest play in the game and neither Jennings nor Monta have figured out how to effectively create space for either themselves or others during P 'n R execution. I can think of more times either of those knuckleheads have tried to "split" the defensive coverage on a two-man game and either lost the ball or got stripped than times where they've either gotten themselves or someone else an open look. Contrast that with Memphis last night, who flat-out out-muscled us on every set screen, and was able to get to wherever they felt like on the floor for uncontested shots. A good number of Ersan's spot-ups last year came after either Jennings or Monta got to the basket and kicked it out to him. He hasn't had many of those so far.

Ers has also spent most of his (limited thus far) minutes on the floor with Tobias, who, whenever the offense has not been ran through him, has been relegated to standing in a corner or around the perimeter. Whether that's by design or by his lack of offensive awareness/spacing is yet to be seen. But last year, with Ers logging minutes with Dunleavy, he seemed to be more active, if only because Dunleavy was always on the move, and Ersan was able to slash/find position for offensive rebounds as a result of that. With Tobias standing around and no Dunleavy in, our offense schemes have looked lost, and I feel like the lack of rotations that Ersan seemingly thrived off of last year are the reasons he's not finding the same touches on the offensive end. Obviously, it's still incredibly early to be voicing any real concern about his production though.
trwi7 wrote:Monta's career has done a complete 360 since he was traded here.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks