Is Thomas Robinson a complete bust?

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

CBB_Fan
Senior
And1: 138

Re: Is Thomas Robinson a complete bust? 

Post#41 » by CBB_Fan » Thu Nov 8, 2012 11:57 pm

perezident wrote:Long gone are the days when I come on here read a horrendous thread and have a back and forth with persons who clearly don't know what basketball is. OP this thread is a joke as well as your motives. Thomas Robinson will be fine

/endthread

My motives are that I am frustrated with a player I thought would be very good. Don't believe me? Think I "LIKE" calling TRob a bust? Here is what I've said before this thread:

"I was much more disappointed with the Kings coaching staff than I was with Robinson. They forced him to practically play PG, and the players he played with made it clear that he wouldn't get the ball if he tried to post up (Akognon and Jimmer were both extreme ball-hogs trying to prove their relevance).

But, just to make a point:

Thomas Robinson SL: 13 PPG (34.4% FG%), 9.8 RPG, 3 APG, 1 SPG, .2BPG
Demarcus Cousins SL: 14.5 PPG (33.3% FG%), 9.8 RPG, 1.5 APG, 1.5 SPG, 1.2 BPG"

"And Robinson could be considered a freak athletically. He has a good vertical (same as Blake Griffin's), and great speed for a big man. His 3/4 court sprint is the same as the average PG drafted in the top 15."

"
It should be noted that most people didn't think he would be a star in the NBA. His potential was set lower than most of the picks in his range (still a better pick that Waiters though).

However, his stock was inflated for several (good) reasons:

1. Culture changer:

Like MKG, Robinson was known for being a leader, tenacious, etc. The Kings have a dysfunctional, young locker room, and the idea was that Robinson would improve that, like MKG is doing for the Bobcats.

2. NBA ready skills

Believe or not, most of players game tends to come after being drafted. Their are exceptions of course, but most players are defined by what they do with their game after they get into the NBA; most don't have the ability to play on both ends at an NBA level, even most lottery picks. Robinson brings one skill that should translate immediately, and that put him high on draft boards.

3. Physical quantities

What people are saying about Robinson is mostly true. He doesn't use his athleticism or size very well. He often plays the below the rim on offense (actually, he gets blocked a lot because he exposes the ball, not because he doesn't jump), and doesn't blow people away with his strength or athleticism. But the fact remains that he has elite wingspan, good speed, and a good vertical. Therefore, the Kings figured that he at least had the basic physical attributes he needs, but still needs to learn how to use them (especially on defense, which he never was required to play in Kansas at a high level).

Basically, the Kings didn't want a franchise changer, they wanted a Millsap or Horford with additional intangibles. That what they drafted for, and it is likely what they'll get."

And seriously, a crazy amount more. I was as homer-ish as anyone towards him.
Frank Mulely
Head Coach
And1: 649

Post#42 » by Frank Mulely » Fri Nov 9, 2012 12:00 am

Blazing_royale wrote:than why did the KINGS draft this kid in the first place if they have a gazillion PFS inront of him

Uh...because they're the Kings? this is not a premier FO we're talking about.

That said, I think bad teams should go for BPA so if they really thought he was BPA, good move. personally I would have rolled the dice on Barnes or Drummond if I was the Kings.
Shv3d wrote:
Frank Mulely wrote:Honestly if this was the 80s

The official motto of RealGM.
MrBigShot
RealGM
And1: 16,945

Post#43 » by MrBigShot » Fri Nov 9, 2012 12:02 am

Too early, but I don't think he will live up to the expectations of the 5th pick. I think Harrison Barnes would have been a much better choice.
"They say you miss 100% of the shots you take" - Mike James
nykballa2k4
RealGM
And1: 5,808

Post#44 » by nykballa2k4 » Fri Nov 9, 2012 12:06 am

Power forward is the deepest position in the league. He is used to having a mans body against a league of boys. Kings were a terrible spot for him. He and Cousins might made a decent tandem, but Jason Thompson is actually a very productive player. Kings need to commit to the rebuild and move Tyreke Evans and Thompson for a small forward who fits going forward.

The Kings have 2 highly talented players in Evans and Cousins and they managed to ruin it.
Numbers don't lie, people who use them do
What do you think about @kporzee? Karl-Anthony Towns: PorzinGOD does not care or need my opinion for he is a higher life form then all of us.
Gilles
Rookie
And1: 70

Post#45 » by Gilles » Fri Nov 9, 2012 12:40 am

Summer League: Robinson has the honor to play for coach not-so-Smart, who decided "you have the best handles out of my entire roster - you will be shot-creator". Robinson was basically used as SF driving from perimeter time after time. TOs happened in bunches because he never handled the ball so much his entire life.
In preseason he looked ok outside of occasional chucking, bad habit, that you can easily pick up playing for Kings.
Robinson didn't play much defense in college and lacks in both awareness and technique so he's picking fouls left and right. Still he's already solid P&R defender due to exceptional quickness and he gets steals without much gambling; Thor disrupted alley-oop attempt for Drummond in Detroit game.
Smart is "trying to create a TEAM" so he jerks everybody around outside of Cousins(he doesn't want to be westphalled) and Thornton(family friend). Sometimes guys play unselfish, but then they suddenly switch into "hero ball" - bench has much less hierarchy so Robinson feels he must create and goes for a travel (I meant, a drive) from time to time. He should be playing as an athletic finisher for the time being: spacing is pretty bad so the paint is too crowded for him to drive with his current skill level and his jumpshot is shaky.
P.S. Thor sets bad screens. Yesterday he moved from the standing position even before his teammate got past him.
P.S.2 He massively improved every season in Kansas, has impressive athleticism, work ethic and motor. Kings gambled on him to continue his work. We will know what kind of player he will be only in 2-3 years.
Father Time
Head Coach
And1: 467

Post#46 » by Father Time » Fri Nov 9, 2012 12:42 am

NyCeEvO wrote:At the beginning of the preseason people were talking about how he was looking like a good player and now he's a bust after 4-5 games into the regular season?

Stop kneejerking and wait at least 40 games before calling someone a bust, sheesh.

Wait at least a couple years to tell for sure.
"There's nothing else I can do for them. I can give them some bulls---, and act like I'm a coach or something, but it's on them." - Popovich

Secret secrets are no fun. Secret secrets hurt someone.
Gilles
Rookie
And1: 70

Post#47 » by Gilles » Fri Nov 9, 2012 12:44 am

MrBigShot wrote:Too early, but I don't think he will live up to the expectations of the 5th pick. I think Harrison Barnes would have been a much better choice.
You mean SF who can't create or rebound?
princeofpalace
RealGM
And1: 1,636

Post#48 » by princeofpalace » Fri Nov 9, 2012 12:51 am

He hasn't looked good since the ncaa season. Wouldn't call him a bust yet but things aren't looking good for him
backstreetboy
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#49 » by backstreetboy » Fri Nov 9, 2012 12:55 am

Robinson reminds me of jordan hill
bjax24
Veteran
And1: 37

Post#50 » by bjax24 » Fri Nov 9, 2012 1:01 am

CBB_Fan wrote:
bjax24 wrote:Holy **** this thread exists? Smh. HE'S 5 **** GAMES INTO HIS CAREER!

Tell if I'm wrong, but didn't he play in the Summer League? Did he play really well then?

Tell if I'm wrong, but didn't he play in the preseason? Did he play really well then?

It isn't like he just suddenly popped into the NBA. He's had half a year to make a good impression. Some rookies have, like:

Anthony Davis
MKG
Bradley Beal
Dion Waiters
Damian Lillard
Harrison Barnes
Andre Drummond
Meyers Leonard
JV
Tyler Zeller
Terrance Jones
Jared Sullinger
Mo Harkless
Jae Crowder
Kim English
Andrew Nicholson
Dequan Jones

Every single one of those rookies has played better than TRob at some point in that half a year. That isn't acceptable for a #5 pick. Yes, it is early, but TRob should be better than this if he is what he is was thought to be.

And he's still 5 games into his career. I know EVERY player that's ever been good shined in his First week. There is no basis to say he's a bust. We're you doggin Kobe his rookie year? Even If it was 6 months into actual season games it'd be too early. There is no basis for this argument at all.
SacKingZZZ
RealGM
And1: 1,082

Post#51 » by SacKingZZZ » Fri Nov 9, 2012 1:09 am

I figured this is how it would turn out, the Kings put him in the JJ Hickson role with no minutes or opportunity and it's a just matter of time before fans wonder why he "sucks". He was playing pretty well in last nights game before yelling "OBAMA!" and clocking Swedish guy into next week.
TheMailMan3232
Junior
And1: 7

Post#52 » by TheMailMan3232 » Fri Nov 9, 2012 1:16 am

Too early
SWedd523
RealGM
And1: 5,090

Post#53 » by SWedd523 » Fri Nov 9, 2012 1:37 am

Has he been a bit disappointing? Sure.

Is he a bust? Hell no, way too early to tell
dc
Head Coach
And1: 8,471

Post#54 » by dc » Fri Nov 9, 2012 2:20 am

624 wrote:No one is a bust 1 week into his career....especially a big.

Well, that's kind of his problem......it's that he's not all that big for a big.
Brian Geltzeiler: You see Mark Jackson getting a head coaching job as early as next year?

Adrian Wojnarowski: Not if people make calls on him. Not if an organization is doing their homework and knows all the things he brings with him.
dc
Head Coach
And1: 8,471

Post#55 » by dc » Fri Nov 9, 2012 2:23 am

backstreetboy wrote:Robinson reminds me of jordan hill

He's a less talented Laphonso Ellis (for anyone who remembers him), IMO.

Ellis would've wound up being pretty good if his knees didn't go out on him.
Brian Geltzeiler: You see Mark Jackson getting a head coaching job as early as next year?

Adrian Wojnarowski: Not if people make calls on him. Not if an organization is doing their homework and knows all the things he brings with him.
Winsome Gerbil
RealGM
And1: 13,086

Post#56 » by Winsome Gerbil » Fri Nov 9, 2012 3:50 am

Always thought he was overhyped. People have this fascination with undersized tweener type players. Maybe it feeds fans' Napoleon complexes I don't know. He's a good athlete, so I don't think he'll just wash out. But as far as being a star or all that nonsense? Never was a chance. And now people are just seeing it. He struggled in summer league. Struggled in preseason. Is Sacto's 4th big. Maybe in time he can become a harder working Tyrus Thomas.
CBB_Fan
Senior

Post#57 » by CBB_Fan » Fri Nov 9, 2012 3:56 am

bjax24 wrote:And he's still 5 games into his career. I know EVERY player that's ever been good shined in his First week. There is no basis to say he's a bust. We're you doggin Kobe his rookie year? Even If it was 6 months into actual season games it'd be too early. There is no basis for this argument at all.

Usually, good players show SOMETHING between SL and the All-Star break.

TRob isn't a bust yet, but he has been immensely disappointing to me personally. I thought he deserved the #2 pick in the draft and that he would at the minimum be an instant impact player and a locker room changer. Instead, he is more of the same in the Kings locker room and is basically a project on offense and defense. And let's face it, the Kings are bad and he isn't even good enough to start for them.

Can I declare him a bust? No. But so far, he has nothing to prove otherwise. He's been the exact opposite of what I thought he would be.
PRESTIGE
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,129
Location: The secret impresses no one. The trick you use it for is everything.

Post#58 » by PRESTIGE » Fri Nov 9, 2012 4:03 am

WAY WAY too early to call T-Rob or Rivers a bust. Even if they stink their entire rookie season you need to give them time to adjust, workout over the summer on their weaknesses and see if they come back different.

Now Derrick Williams or Tristan Thompson, those are guys that should be on bust watch.
RIPskaterdude
RealGM
And1: 36,374

Post#59 » by RIPskaterdude » Fri Nov 9, 2012 4:05 am

Again, they re-signed Jason Thompson to be their starting PF. They aren't going to start a rookie after re-signing their starting PF from last season to a multi year. This is exactly why all the players in the top 5 refused to work out for the Kings, because none of them would have had the chance to start right away, even though the Kings aren't a good team yet.

Relax.
CBB_Fan
Senior

Post#60 » by CBB_Fan » Fri Nov 9, 2012 4:05 am

PRESTIGE wrote:WAY WAY too early to call T-Rob or Rivers a bust. Even if they stink their entire rookie season you need to give them time to adjust, workout over the summer on their weaknesses and see if they come back different.

Now Derrick Williams or Tristan Thompson, those are guys that should be on bust watch.

Should he have shown something by now? Considering his pre-draft buzz was that he was the "most NBA ready player in the draft?"

Return to The General Board