Is Thomas Robinson a complete bust?

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

Sundov
Junior
And1: 55

Re: Is Thomas Robinson a complete bust? 

Post#61 » by Sundov » Fri Nov 9, 2012 4:19 am

He's just not a good fit next to Cousins. No one is. Everyone who goes to that Kings team sucks for some reason. They even took the game out of one of favourite hustle players in the league Chuck hayes.
Knicks.
ADoaN17
Lead Assistant
And1: 312

Post#62 » by ADoaN17 » Fri Nov 9, 2012 4:57 am

Sundov wrote:He's just not a good fit next to Cousins. No one is. Everyone who goes to that Kings team sucks for some reason. They even took the game out of one of favourite hustle players in the league Chuck hayes.

That's not even the issue.... TRob mainly plays with Chuck Hayes. TRob is just in a bad position. Kings had to start JT because they just gave him a contract and the Kings dont have a true pg. Brooks and Thomas are averaging 3.4 assist a game total... Although TRob hasn't looked as impressive as expected, he has an insane motor and he will definitely improve.
CBB_Fan
Senior
And1: 138

Post#63 » by CBB_Fan » Fri Nov 9, 2012 5:02 am

Sounds like TRob is in the bad position of being drafted for the wrong team, in the wrong circumstances, for the wrong reasons.

I won't complain about him for awhile hopefully, but he can't throw elbows.
StatLine
Veteran
And1: 1,723

Post#64 » by StatLine » Fri Nov 9, 2012 5:06 am

LaMarcus Aldridge didn't put up spectacular numbers in his rookie season and look at him now
Winsome Gerbil
RealGM
And1: 13,086

Post#65 » by Winsome Gerbil » Fri Nov 9, 2012 5:34 am

Sundov wrote:He's just not a good fit next to Cousins. No one is. Everyone who goes to that Kings team sucks for some reason. They even took the game out of one of favourite hustle players in the league Chuck hayes.

Actually I think Thompson is a pretty good fit, if he were just a better defender.

Better question might be who would Robinson be a good match next to? Let's see, undersized PF without NBA level post game or jumper. Defense questionable. Very good athlete and will hustle though. Can throw him the occasional alley oop. And he can throw the occasional elbow.

I don't know who that works next to if not Cousins, who's one of the most skilled bigs in the game. Probably works best next to the coach as a bench energy guy.
LeonSmith
Junior
And1: 145

Post#66 » by LeonSmith » Fri Nov 9, 2012 6:05 am

Probably the biggest bust since the all-time greatest bust Gary Payton.
sacking123
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,348

Post#67 » by sacking123 » Fri Nov 9, 2012 6:46 am

CBB_Fan wrote:
bjax24 wrote:And he's still 5 games into his career. I know EVERY player that's ever been good shined in his First week. There is no basis to say he's a bust. We're you doggin Kobe his rookie year? Even If it was 6 months into actual season games it'd be too early. There is no basis for this argument at all.

Usually, good players show SOMETHING between SL and the All-Star break.

TRob isn't a bust yet, but he has been immensely disappointing to me personally. I thought he deserved the #2 pick in the draft and that he would at the minimum be an instant impact player and a locker room changer. Instead, he is more of the same in the Kings locker room and is basically a project on offense and defense. And let's face it, the Kings are bad and he isn't even good enough to start for them.

Can I declare him a bust? No. But so far, he has nothing to prove otherwise. He's been the exact opposite of what I thought he would be.

So you know what TRob has been like in the locker room do you? Please enlighten me on how you know what he is like in the locker room?
This is the biggest fail of a thread I've seen in a while.
Sacramento Kings
Sydney Kings
siydee
Rookie
And1: 50

Post#68 » by siydee » Fri Nov 9, 2012 8:11 am

Check your PMs. Backseat moderating isn't required, nor is degrading other users.
nugzin2040
Sixth Man
And1: 8

Post#69 » by nugzin2040 » Fri Nov 9, 2012 9:01 am

I'm not a Thomas Robinson fan by any means, but he deserves more time before declaring him a bust.

He got referred to as a better version of Kenneth Faried, and Faried really didn't get a chance to show anything until about halfway through the season. Granted it's different when you're the #5 pick then when you're picked #22, but Robinson deserves more time.

I will say that I don't think Sacramento was the best place for Robinson to go, both in roster makeup and personality of said roster.
kingkirk
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23,765

Post#70 » by kingkirk » Fri Nov 9, 2012 9:26 am

OP, im not sure if you're trolling or if this is legit.

I hope its the former.
boogie-reke
Head Coach
And1: 244

Post#71 » by boogie-reke » Fri Nov 9, 2012 9:42 am

Sundov wrote: Everyone who goes to that Kings team sucks for some reason.

This is so true it had to be highlighted. Well, everyone who can't just take the ball and actually do something with it on their own atleast,
Geaux_Hawks
Lead Assistant
And1: 968

Post#72 » by Geaux_Hawks » Fri Nov 9, 2012 1:21 pm

backstreetboy wrote:Robinson reminds me of jordan hill

Indeed. I was all for Hill. Thought he would become a monster, but he simply disappointed me. Robinson's got a lot of people backing him, but its not looking good for him. Some thought he should've went #2, which was absurd to me. I honestly thought he was 10-14. He's got a career in the NBA, but it may not be what everyone else think it is.
King John
Junior
And1: 161

Post#73 » by King John » Fri Nov 9, 2012 1:41 pm

He's played what, 5 games? Yeah, that's enough to determine if how his career will go. Really though, he has a high motor, a good work ethic, and decent athleticism. He's still kind of raw on both ends of the court, but he has time to develop, he needs more minutes before anything can be said about him.

Top 5 Fav Players: Steve Francis, T-Mac, Rafer Alston, Shawn Kemp, David Robinson
bledredwine
RealGM
And1: 3,819

Post#74 » by bledredwine » Fri Nov 9, 2012 1:48 pm

uhhhh

wtf?

How's Thomas Robinson even been a bust so far? Given his minutes, he's played solidly esp. for a rookie.

???
https://undisputedgoat.medium.com/jordan-in-the-clutch-30f6e7ed4c43
LBJ clutch- 19 of 104 career: https://www.yardbarker.com/nba/articles/lebron_james_has_only_made_19_of_107_shots_in_clutch_situation_during_his_career_178_fg_125_from_3_pointers/s1_16751_38344895
Cruel_Ruin
Head Coach
And1: 767
Location: The intersection of intellect, imagination and insanity

Post#75 » by Cruel_Ruin » Fri Nov 9, 2012 3:18 pm

:lol: at the thought of five games making him a bust.

FWIW Robinson was progressing every night. The game where he was ejected he was making a huge impact on the floor with his energy and rebounding. The game before that he energized the team with a bunch of athletic plays, running the floor and finishing alley oop lobs.

I think he'll have a Horace Grant type of career. Not a star but a workhorse and solid roleplayer.
Rondo2Hondo
Banned User
And1: 40

Post#76 » by Rondo2Hondo » Fri Nov 9, 2012 3:51 pm

Knee-jerk reaction.

Thomas Robinson has had a tougher life than probably any of us, and you know what? He's a good guy. He walked away right away, he knew he had made a bad mistake. He has apologized, and taken full responsibility for it in HIS words.

He took awhile to settle in at Kansas, and he'll take a couple of years in the NBA. I said right from the start of the college season that he has as much potential as a young Karl Malone. He runs and runs, he is as tough as nails, he rebounds well, has great defensive potential, can put the ball on the floor, is fearless in the lane, and he has very fixable shooting mechanics. He is also by FAR the hardest worker in the gym, and he will always work on his body. I'm not saying he is the next Karl Malone, but all the same tools, and mindset is there. He's not very reliable right now, because he is adjusting to the NBA, and he looks a little lost. He really needs a coach to take him under his wing, I actually thought Doc would be great for him, or Byron Scott. Heck, even Sloan would do wonders with him.

And back to Rivers, he's being forced to play a new position, when it's clear to everyone he's another Jamal Crawford. How well did it work out for Crawford and Bulls having Jamal at PG?
BrooklynBulls
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,652

Post#77 » by BrooklynBulls » Fri Nov 9, 2012 3:56 pm

Rondo2Hondo wrote:And back to Rivers, he's being forced to play a new position, when it's clear to everyone he's another Jamal Crawford. How well did it work out for Crawford and Bulls having Jamal at PG?

If you watch the Hornets, and I wouldn't recommend it, you'll see he's playing SG next to Vasquez the majority of the time he's in.
Rondo2Hondo
Banned User
And1: 40

Post#78 » by Rondo2Hondo » Fri Nov 9, 2012 4:28 pm

BrooklynBulls wrote:
Rondo2Hondo wrote:And back to Rivers, he's being forced to play a new position, when it's clear to everyone he's another Jamal Crawford. How well did it work out for Crawford and Bulls having Jamal at PG?

If you watch the Hornets, and I wouldn't recommend it, you'll see he's playing SG next to Vasquez the majority of the time he's in.

By my statistics so far:

Rivers spent approximately 5 of his 29 minutes vs the Jazz at point guard.
Rivers spent approximately 10 of his 24 minutes vs the Spurs at point guard, and was twice directly subbed for Vasquez.

They are subbing Vasquez out usually with 2-3 minutes left in a quarter for Rivers to get some experience running the point. For the most part, yes, he is playing at the two, but the long-term goal is for him to be a point guard. They are still tinkering with the experiment, and I think they will continue all year long.
RoyalWun
Lead Assistant
And1: 471

Post#79 » by RoyalWun » Fri Nov 9, 2012 4:33 pm

They need to trade Gordon and have Rivers at his natural position.
Dammit...:

I've got Nurkic fever now.
BrooklynBulls
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,652

Post#80 » by BrooklynBulls » Fri Nov 9, 2012 4:36 pm

Rondo2Hondo wrote:
BrooklynBulls wrote:

By my statistics so far:

Rivers spent approximately 5 of his 29 minutes vs the Jazz at point guard.
Rivers spent approximately 10 of his 24 minutes vs the Spurs at point guard, and was twice directly subbed for Vasquez.

They are subbing Vasquez out usually with 2-3 minutes left in a quarter for Rivers to get some experience running the point. For the most part, yes, he is playing at the two, but the long-term goal is for him to be a point guard. They are still tinkering with the experiment, and I think they will continue all year long.

So in other words what I said was perfectly accurate and his struggles cannot be ascribed to playing PG since most of the time, he isnt?

The problem isn't position. The problem is that he currently sucks.

Return to The General Board