ImageImage

WTF is going on with Ilyasova?

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

Run-MKE 311
Senior
And1: 9

Re: WTF is going on with Ilyasova? 

Post#21 » by Run-MKE 311 » Thu Nov 8, 2012 10:47 pm

Slow start to the season, can never underestimate the fact that he backed up the Brinks truck though.

With BJ3 and Monta redefining baddy chuckin', he has little chance to hoist as many shots as he needs too.
Ball so hard.
mattg
General Manager
And1: 3,009

Post#22 » by mattg » Thu Nov 8, 2012 11:02 pm

It's hard to say so early in the season. A few things that come to mind though.

1. His jumper is off. He looks scared to shoot/lacking in confidence(a problem he's had much of his career). I think it's also obvious that he wasn't going to nail 45% from 3 again because he has never been that high quality of a shooter. If his shooting doesn't come around you could also maybe infer that the 15 pounds of muscle he added in the offseason messed up his mechanics. Additionally, because he did shoot so well last season after being very inconsistent earlier in his career, teams are closing out on him much harder than before and he can't make defenses pay by putting the ball on the floor and attacking.

2. His game is entirely based on hustle and garbage buckets. You never want to really rely on guys whose entire method of production is garbage points because good teams minimize those opportunities. This problem is only further magnified in guys that can't create their own shots. Maybe Ersan is losing a couple FGA per game because of bad shot selection by the guards, but I don't think its realistic to expect much more than 10-12 FGA for Ersan in a game. You can't force feed guys like him because all his scoring is done in the flow. If his jumper isn't there and opponents box out, Ersan just isn't going to get that many shots.

Honestly though, its been 3 games. Give it some time. Ersan has been good on the defensive glass and has looked solid at times. Could just be a bad start. Don't want to speculate too much, but he does need to start playing better soon considering his contract.
pumpfake ersan
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#23 » by pumpfake ersan » Thu Nov 8, 2012 11:04 pm

no panic ok, ersan is a intelligent guy, he plays himself out of this critical situation, next game 20/10 and you all love him again :D

we are not this typical hysterical raptors fans :lol:
Buck You
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 541

Post#24 » by Buck You » Thu Nov 8, 2012 11:15 pm

He's always been an inconsistent shooter though.

So it's not that surprising.
Chuck Diesel
RealGM
And1: 11,556

Post#25 » by Chuck Diesel » Thu Nov 8, 2012 11:18 pm

Ersan is widely inconsistent year to year, both in the NBA and in international competition.
jeremyd236
General Manager
And1: 16

Post#26 » by jeremyd236 » Thu Nov 8, 2012 11:20 pm

What the hell does Skiles have to do with this? He didn't trade Bogut for Monta Ellis and he didn't draft Brandon Jennings. It's his job to control the team and offense, but this is the NBA - players are gonna play how they're gonna play. Our backcourt is going to shoot us in or out of every game. Our frontcourt players rely on the occasional drive and kick or put-back opportunities to score.

Also, Ersan hasn't exactly been innocent in all this. His confidence isn't very high right now, and that's obvious. Additionally, his 1-2 pump fakes per touch has resulted in him taking contested shots when he could have just taken the open shot right away.

It's WAY too early to say something is wrong with him though. I feel good about his resigning, and it'll prove to be a good value for us.
sosa
Senior
And1: 1

Post#27 » by sosa » Fri Nov 9, 2012 12:36 am

I guess I haven't done my homework on Ersan. I'm guilty of following box scores. I always thought of him as a good shooter who hustles. Those type of guys are usually fantasy gold. But, if what I'm reading is correct, then... I should probably look to trade him.

I should have known not to draft someone playing with Jennings AND Ellis! I forgot to mention that wacky Scott Skiles.
Scoops
General Manager
And1: 267

Post#28 » by Scoops » Fri Nov 9, 2012 12:44 am

Skiles and Jennings hindering the development of another big man? Maybe he's just not that good.
Go Bucks!
ampd
RealGM
And1: 4,883

Post#29 » by ampd » Fri Nov 9, 2012 3:37 am

LUKE23 wrote:
DrugBust wrote:In the 14 games Ersan started prior to the trade for Ellis he averaged 13 FGAs per game. In the 18 games after Ellis arrived Ersan averaged 10 FGA/game. I don't think they've really figured out how to get him involved with Ellis as the 1st or 2nd offensive option.

This. Backcourt is eating up his FGA (and Tobias').

It has eaten into Ersan's touches but he still occasionally gets the pass on the pick and pop.

Tobes is basically completely frozen out in the half court.

I don't think this is Skiles. Ersan has always been all about confidence, and he has shot poorly and his confidence isn't there. You can tell when he is pump faking every time he gets the ball. hesitating on open shots in good places on the floor for him, etc. Its not a contract year thing from an effort standpoint, and from Skiles perspective, who is coaching for his job, Ersan is playing badly enough that he has pretty much had to take him out.
Nebula1
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#30 » by Nebula1 » Fri Nov 9, 2012 5:55 am

Couple easy buckets and he'll be fine and back to breaking faces.
AussieBuck
RealGM
And1: 19,710

Post#31 » by AussieBuck » Fri Nov 9, 2012 5:58 am

As I said in the other thread he and Tobes are being punished for the **** starts we are having due to Monta and Ellis being useless pieces of crap.
emunney wrote:
We need a man shaped like a chicken nugget with the shot selection of a 21st birthday party.

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
if you combined jabari parker, royal ivey, a shrimp and a ball sack youd have javon carter
MilBucksBackOnTop06
Banned User
And1: 14

Post#32 » by MilBucksBackOnTop06 » Fri Nov 9, 2012 9:53 am

LUKE23 wrote:
DrugBust wrote:In the 14 games Ersan started prior to the trade for Ellis he averaged 13 FGAs per game. In the 18 games after Ellis arrived Ersan averaged 10 FGA/game. I don't think they've really figured out how to get him involved with Ellis as the 1st or 2nd offensive option.

This. Backcourt is eating up his FGA (and Tobias').

What does that have to do with anything. If anything that should get Ersan more shots! Every team know the Bucks are guard orientated. Common sense would say that they need that 3rd guy...so wtf is Ersan!?

That is not Jennings and Ellis fault! They get 13-25 assists a game between them! Why dont you tell Ersan to get his $9 mil dollar a-- in there and to be aggressive. This is not Turkey. This is the NBA. No Babies Allowed...earn your moneyor Scott should set him down.

Stop blaming everything on the guards! Just like Bogut's sorry a-- when he was here...He was never assertive every trip down. Never got a midrange shot.

He never set up in the post like Zach Randolph and or on the elbow like Marco Gasol to take advantage of his over-ratted passing abilities everyone talks about, and then he never consistently commanded the ball and fans in here would ALWAYS complain that Jennings is not giving him the ball.

Get outta here with that. Watch the game. He is limited. In the Pros you better bring a new aspect of your game back with you or don't blame anyone else.
Wise1
RealGM
And1: 256

Post#33 » by Wise1 » Fri Nov 9, 2012 3:28 pm

Not enough shots eh? Doesn't seem to be bothering Dunleavy. The guy is struggling and it's his own fault. He's a hustle player, not Reggie Miller or Ray Allen. Grab more boards and put back more shots. How many assists is Jennings averaging this year?
jr lucosa
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,151

Post#34 » by jr lucosa » Fri Nov 9, 2012 3:50 pm

AussieBuck wrote:As I said in the other thread he and Tobes are being punished for the **** starts we are having due to Monta and Ellis being useless pieces of crap.

He's so bad that it's like theres two of him out there :D
Newz
Banned User
And1: 2,551

Post#35 » by Newz » Fri Nov 9, 2012 4:04 pm

Why would lack of FGA's be what is holding Ersan down? Almost all of his value as a player comes from his rebounding, position D, low TO rate and ability to score efficiently without needing the ball a lot.

What a strange argument.
step3profit
Analyst
And1: 819

Post#36 » by step3profit » Fri Nov 9, 2012 4:46 pm

Monta needs to try and miss without clanging them so hard that they bounce all the way to back to halfcourt, giving the other team quick full court offense/layups. If Monta can manage to just clang shots a little, then Ersan will get some offensive rebounds and putbacks.

Also, he'll be able to get back on D if the other team rebounds, and get in position to get defensive boards.

If we can work on Monta's game so he's only shooting poorly instead of incredibly poorly, Ersan will benefit.

Also, Ersan needs to quit with the pump fake that no one bites on, and just shoot the damn ball.
ampd
RealGM
And1: 4,883

Post#37 » by ampd » Fri Nov 9, 2012 8:42 pm

step3profit wrote:Also, Ersan needs to quit with the pump fake that no one bites on, and just shoot the damn ball.

Paradoxically, when he starts shooting the ball without pump faking, the pump fake will actually be useful again sometimes.
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,634

Post#38 » by emunney » Fri Nov 9, 2012 9:17 pm

Yeah, i think I remember last year his shot started going in a lot more when he started pump faking a lot less. He has a high enough release point that he needs to just shoot it unless somebody's right on top of him.

I was more worried than most about contract year stuff with Ersan, just because he was so explicit about how money would decide where he'd play. That said, I agree with everyone who says that this is what happens with him every year. He's a very slow starter. I guess if you're an energy guy, you don't have much of an advantage early in the season when energy is abundant.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
step3profit
Analyst
And1: 819

Post#39 » by step3profit » Fri Nov 9, 2012 9:19 pm

ampd wrote:
step3profit wrote:Also, Ersan needs to quit with the pump fake that no one bites on, and just shoot the damn ball.

Paradoxically, when he starts shooting the ball without pump faking, the pump fake will actually be useful again sometimes.

ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,943

Post#40 » by ReasonablySober » Fri Nov 9, 2012 9:22 pm

Newz wrote:Why would lack of FGA's be what is holding Ersan down? Almost all of his value as a player comes from his rebounding, position D, low TO rate and ability to score efficiently without needing the ball a lot.

What a strange argument.

In the games started without Monta he had an Offensive Rating of 131. So insanely high. With Monta the number fell to 120. So the lack of FGAs obviously hurt his game to at least some degree.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks