ImageImageImage

Brandon Roy Recaps

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Shem
RealGM
And1: 3,307

Brandon Roy Recaps 

Post#1 » by Shem » Wed Nov 7, 2012 5:48 am

Ben Golliver over at BlazersEdge put together a series of links and quotes about what is being said about Brandon Roy I thought you guys would be interested in knowing about:

http://www.blazersedge.com/2012/11/6/36 ... ook-so-far
April 4, 2014:
HotrodBeaubois wrote:I never said Dallas was good as Portland

Earlier on December 8, 2013:
HotrodBeaubois wrote:That's the Whole Point Portland is No better than Dallas
cpfsf
General Manager
And1: 1,104
Location: sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell

Re: Brandon Roy Recaps 

Post#2 » by cpfsf » Wed Nov 7, 2012 6:21 am

We all knew coming into the season that he wasn't the same Roy who played in Portland. Why else would we offer a 2 year contract that isn't even guaranteed in the second year. His body just isn't on the same page as what he wants to do. His on court awareness can be seen by his ability to facilitate, but he needs prove that he can be fluid, reliable, and capable of shooting if he wants to keep the starting job. I'd actually be content if he came off the bench. He complements our shooters pretty well.

sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell
packforfreedom
Analyst
And1: 4,020

Post#3 » by packforfreedom » Wed Nov 7, 2012 8:16 am

what i like is his ability to pass the ball. he might have the best courtvision in the team right know along with shved. Sure his dribbling a aweful and he slow as Eddy Curry, but i'd like to give him the chance. I think he needs some time to adjust his game to his new phyisical limits. Often when he get's the ball, his body language seems like he wants to drive to the basket but then his brain kicks in and he kind of stops in motion. once he learns to trust his jump shot and using his bb iq, he's gonna be an efficent overall player for us (at least on offense)
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,136

Post#4 » by Calinks » Wed Nov 7, 2012 8:19 am

Again I will say, injury or not missing 18 months of NBA level basketball sets you back tremendously. Even guys like Rubio and Love could be off for weeks when they get back. Add Roy's injury and if he can get back to being a solid player, it could still take some time.
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
lobishome
Analyst
And1: 632

Post#5 » by lobishome » Wed Nov 7, 2012 11:03 am

I think the Roy's problem isn't the lack of games, mainly it's a physical problem. The fact is sometimes looks like he had peg legs, most of all the right knee (I think).

Maybe the most realistic future for Roy is look after his health and try to measure out his minutes along each game and the full season for try to have the best Roy at March-April. He still has very usefull skills for play important games. I think when Rubio come back Roy mustn't to play more than 15/20 minutes, except in special cases.

Or perhaps Adelman wants to test him now and it's a better idea. :dontknow:
Basti
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,678

Post#6 » by Basti » Wed Nov 7, 2012 11:16 am

Being someone who has issues with knees himself I can tell you that some days they feel great and you feel like you could jump all day but then you have days when they feel exhausted and every step hurts. Even without any kind of stress that day or prior. We have to be patient with him.
wolves_fan_82au
Assistant Coach
And1: 32

Post#7 » by wolves_fan_82au » Wed Nov 7, 2012 11:18 pm

i havent been ableto see a game yet but looking at those assists numbers hes 2nd on our team
but everything else is way below avg,how is his defense ?
teams supporting
NBA-Minnesota t-wolves
NHL-Toronto Mapleleafs
NFL-Miami Dolphins
MLB-???
Others:Wests Tigers,Leeds United,Schalke,VVV,Sydney Kings,Tatsuma Ito
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM
And1: 5,943

Post#8 » by Devilzsidewalk » Thu Nov 8, 2012 3:49 am

i don't think he's injured, but he doesn't have that basketball conditioning you get from playing uninterrupted for years. Any of you that's played a competitive full court game know how physically demanding it is, and Roy hasn't gotten back that kind of spring in his body that you get from playing high level full court basketball over a long period of time, but if he stays structurally healthy, he should slowly get it back.
Steve_Holiday
Pro Prospect
And1: 51

Post#9 » by Steve_Holiday » Thu Nov 8, 2012 5:08 am

I don't think he's technically "injured," but Roy is definitely limited by his injuries. This isn't about him being out of game shape...he just can't move very well. Time to heal and therapy/strength will be bigger keys to him getting better than just pure conditioning.
southern wolf
General Manager
And1: 2,163

Post#10 » by southern wolf » Thu Nov 8, 2012 8:04 am

I saw him grimacing and slightly limping a few times tonight.
Basti
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,678

Post#11 » by Basti » Thu Nov 8, 2012 11:05 am

Devilzsidewalk wrote:i don't think he's injured, but he doesn't have that basketball conditioning you get from playing uninterrupted for years. Any of you that's played a competitive full court game know how physically demanding it is, and Roy hasn't gotten back that kind of spring in his body that you get from playing high level full court basketball over a long period of time, but if he stays structurally healthy, he should slowly get it back.

That's true. The first time I played ball again after I sat out for several months I felt like I had smoked three packs of cigarettes before the game. It wasn't just me being out of shape but it felt like the knees required extra stamina.
TMo519
Bench Warmer
And1: 25

Post#12 » by TMo519 » Thu Nov 8, 2012 4:39 pm

I think having him with the starters helps take pressure off him. And it allows him to be more of a playmaker than a scorer, which right now he's doing a much better job. It's gonna take a while before he becomes consistent with his offensive game outside of passing, as long as structurally, he's not having pain from the joints.

But that passing part of his game is still important out there. Our PGs right now aren't the greatest of distributors, so having another guy out there who can move the ball and set guys up for easy buckets is important. I'm willing to be patient about his development. If we can wait on a Wes Johnson, who didn't provide a whole lot of anything, we can be patient with Roy who's at least giving us ball movement and IQ out there to make the offense run.
funkatron101
General Manager
And1: 960

Post#13 » by funkatron101 » Thu Nov 8, 2012 10:20 pm

Guys...Guys..I have an idea, here me out.

Let's trade Brandon Roy for....Randy Foye!
Lattimer wrote:Cracks me up that people still think that Wiggins will be involved in the trade for Love. Wolves are out of their mind if they think they are getting Wiggins for Love.
Shem
RealGM
And1: 3,307

Post#14 » by Shem » Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:44 am

https://twitter.com/OregonianSports/sta ... 5858692096

Oregonian Sports ‏@OregonianSports

Brandon Roy leaves Timberwolves' game at halftime with sore knee http://orne.ws/SBCVh6
April 4, 2014:
HotrodBeaubois wrote:I never said Dallas was good as Portland

Earlier on December 8, 2013:
HotrodBeaubois wrote:That's the Whole Point Portland is No better than Dallas
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,582

Post#15 » by Klomp » Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:02 am

We know. We watched the game. It was only precautionary.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
The J Rocka
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,730

Post#16 » by The J Rocka » Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:10 am

Blazer fans can't wait for him to go down. :-?
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#17 » by Klomp » Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:15 am

The J Rocka wrote:Blazer fans can't wait for him to go down. :-?

Which I'm really surprised about. I thought he was their favorite son...
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Mattya
RealGM
And1: 6,282

Post#18 » by Mattya » Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:18 am

Yea I'm kind of suprised by some of their fans as well. I hope they at least cheer for him when he has his comeback game.
Saltine
Lead Assistant
And1: 909

Post#19 » by Saltine » Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:36 am

Seems he just banged his knee into someone again, nothing big :)
He's on the plane to Chicago at the moment.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#20 » by Klomp » Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:38 am

Like I said in the game thread, when they said it was a "sore" knee, I wasn't concerned. We've been very careful with him, and I'm not surprised we held him out.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves