ImageImageImageImageImage

Countdown to Ernie Grunfeld Firing

Moderators: nate33, montestewart, LyricalRico

IS IT TIME TO FIRE ERNIE GRUNFELD?

1) Yes, I believe it is time for EG to go now.
69%
2) Ted should let him go at the end of the season.
21%
3) No, Ted needs to give him more time..(DESPITE THE FACT ERNIE HAS BEEN GM SINCE 2003)
10%

Total votes: 42

FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,961

Countdown to Ernie Grunfeld Firing 

Post#1 » by FAH1223 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:43 am

The other thread went off course.

Enough is enough.

10th season as GM.

No playoffs since 2008.

Squandered lotto picks

Wasted 2nd round picks

Knee jerk trades

Mediocrity even when the Wizards were a playoff team in a WEAK Eastern conference.

Why can't we have a real GM?
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,506

Re: Countdown to Ernie Grunfeld Firing 

Post#2 » by closg00 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:47 am

Remember, Ted will change nothing as-long as he is filling seats and selling $10 beers on game-night.
sashae
Bench Warmer
And1: 94

Post#3 » by sashae » Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:06 am

WHAT ME WORRY

ernie grunfeld: the perpetual dumpster fire of general management
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,968

Post#4 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:34 am

Back in April, EG got a new deal.

Mike Prada of www.bulletsforever.com had good reason to write what he did back then.

http://www.bulletsforever.com/2012/4/24 ... ed-leonsis

In Keeping Ernie Grunfeld, Washington Wizards Pass On Opportunity To Consider Starting
Fresh

What concerns me more is the process by which Leonsis and the Wizards made this decision.

Regardless of how well Grunfeld may have done in the past two years, this was a chance for the Wizards to start fresh. The Wizards have some young talent, a superstar-quality player and enough cap space in the summer to make some sort of free-agent splash, even if not for a max-contract player. It could have still fit "The Plan" just fine, since now is the time when the push towards contention needed to begin.
Instead, it appears Leonsis made his mind up to bring Grunfeld back a while ago. Via Michael Lee's report.

According to multiple league sources, Leonsis in recent weeks has refused to correspond with agents representing prospective Wizards’ general managers interested in replacing Grunfeld. The team’s owner since the spring of 2010, Leonsis negotiated only with Grunfeld.

I'd feel a little better about the Wizards' decision if they went through the hiring process and then decided Grunfeld was the best fit for the job. Interviewing isn't the same as hiring. If there were candidates interested in the position, it really doesn't hurt much to hear them out. Maybe they demonstrate great enthusiasm for the position and a great plan for the future.
Bye bye Beal.
WizKid25
Sophomore
And1: 7

Post#5 » by WizKid25 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:47 am

test
truwizfan4evr
Assistant Coach
And1: 642

Post#6 » by truwizfan4evr » Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:59 pm

Damn i was hoping i wake up to good news Ernie being fired.
You Shouldn't Play For Money, But You Should Play Because You Have A Passion For It -- Bradley Beal
80sballboy
RealGM
And1: 5,650

Post#7 » by 80sballboy » Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:29 pm

Ted has never fired a GM with the Caps or Wiz so why should he start now? He just wants a puppet.
DANNYLANDOVER
Veteran
And1: 438

Post#8 » by DANNYLANDOVER » Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:04 pm

Right now, I want Ted to sell the team more than I want Ernie fired. It's quite clear that he isn't interested in bringing a championship to the capital of the United States. Aren't there any other billionaires from around here?
closg00
RealGM

Post#9 » by closg00 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:31 pm

DANNYLANDOVER wrote:Right now, I want Ted to sell the team more than I want Ernie fired. It's quite clear that he isn't interested in bringing a championship to the capital of the United States. Aren't there any other billionaires from around here?

Ted selling the team would be even better, but Ernie getting fired is slightly more-likely.
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,699

Post#10 » by montestewart » Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:32 pm

DANNYLANDOVER wrote:Right now, I want Ted to sell the team more than I want Ernie fired. It's quite clear that he isn't interested in bringing a championship to the capital of the United States. Aren't there any other billionaires from around here?

I hear Uncle Sam prints money in his basement
RealGM

Post#11 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:41 pm

closg00 wrote:

Ted selling the team would be even better, but Ernie getting fired is slightly more-likely.

Maybe Induveca can invest in Uncle Sam, and the good old U. S. of A.; by buying the Wizards from Uncle Ted Leonsis. Induveca would be revered in DC as Wizards owner. The bar has been set so low he would be instantly considered the best local sports owner. I have not met Induveca but I know he'd be a better owner than Snyder or Leonsis.

If he needs to put together a group of minority owners, I can max out my credit cards and at least get seven or eight hundred dollars to become a part owner. Heck, I will put in 'leven fifty.
Bye bye Beal.
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#12 » by montestewart » Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:06 pm

It would be hilarious if there was a 5% minority ownership consortium of Wiz board owners. We would give the majority owner such a headache.
RealGM

Post#13 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:25 pm

montestewart wrote:It would be hilarious if there was a 5% minority ownership consortium of Wiz board owners. We would give the majority owner such a headache.

I would speak as if my 25,000 were 250 million, monte. Security wouldn't even let me in the building. They would screen my calls. My picture would be up with the words, "Do not let this man enter!"

If I ever attended a shareholder meeting I'd say words to the effect, "I don't care what the other 95% of y'all say. It's not my fault you guys lack critical thinking skills."

Some folks, you can't take them any where. I'm one of them.

You're right, monte. :D
Bye bye Beal.
RealGM

Post#14 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:33 pm

(I originally posted this in another thread, but I think it belongs here.)

We have a deadline with doomsday, according to the Mayan calendar. The end occurs some time next month. :) Are any of you nervous? Anybody superstitious?

I am not nervous or superstitious. I am not into numerology either, but I know a little bit about numbers. The numbers 7, 11, and 13 are associated with luck, good and bad. Those numbers might bad for Ernie Grunfeld real soon. (FYI Here's a great link to scripture number significance.) If I were to go by the numbers, I could make a prediction.

To have a little fun, I predict the end of EG as GM will come 11/14/12 or 11/15/12. :wizard:

On 11/13/12, the Wizards play Charlotte. Just like we're all gonna get it in a month when the world comes to an end; this Tuesday, 11/13/12, marks the beginning of EGs end. Like Moses getting a glimpse of the Promised Land, Wizard fans will get a glimpse of what might be without Ernie because he's gonna get his first. (If the failsafe Mayan calendar and my prediction both come true, of course). Why do I say this? The numbers don't lie! :D

By the numbers, twelve represents completion or perfection. Thirteen represents a bad omen or rebellion. Eleven is associated with disorder and luck of fulfillment. Therefore, 11/13/12 is the perfect day for Ted Leonsis to rebel and to dissociate himself from Ernie Grunfeld, who will become unfulfilled after being fired. That day, 11/13/12, marks the beginning of a sequence of events that can set captive Wizard fans free….

A loss to the Bobcats is essential. If the Bobcats defeat the Wizards, Washington will have lost six straight. Six is another unfulfilling number, as both man and serpent were created the sixth day. Ted will go beast mode on Ernie following a loss to put the Wizards three games behind the lowly Bobcats. Because no one gets fired on the front end of a road game, the next day, 11/14/12, the second back-to-back road game, all will appear calm when the Wizards play at Dallas. Washington will likely drop to 0-7 after that game. Bingo! Seven is the number of perfection, completeness, and the fulfillment of a covenant. Loss number seven should be sufficient. It could end Ernie's run. FINALLY!

Lucky seven losses is when Wizard fans will hear the most unlikely, welcome, news in years. Ernie will be fired.
Bye bye Beal.
closg00
RealGM

Post#15 » by closg00 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:10 am

paulpressey25 wrote:I'm an opinionated Milwaukee fan from a few of the other threads.

I enjoy weighing in on these Grunfeld threads every six-months or so because the guy was toxic for our franchise when he was with us.

Both Milwaukee and Washington have (had) one thing in common. A beloved yet completely incompetent and meddling owner. In our case it is Herb Kohl. In your case Abe. Both guys like the idea of "winning now" rather than spending years in the high lotto. Both guys are(were) up in age. Kohl is 76 and I think Abe died at 87 (?)

While it would be easy to blame all of Ernie Grunfeld's bad moves on meddling owners, I think that allows him off the hook. The bottom line is that the guy has been a GM from August 1999 (Bucks) through the current day (Wizards). In those 12.5 years, the guy has really made zero signature moves where you go "Wow, that was a great GM....that move(s) turned our franchise around"

IIn the draft world, he absolutely sucks. He doesn't find you Westbrooks, Serge Ibaka's or Wesley Matthews. Instead he finds you Marcus Haislips and Nick Young's at best.

In the contract world, he overpays everyone for fear of "losing an asset". Whether it was giving Tim Thomas $68 million to stay in Milwaukee, $20 million along with Scott Williams and a future #1 (Josh Smith) for Anthony Mason or your situations with the Arenas, etc bad contracts or trading the #5 pick away twice.

What Grunfeld excels at are two things:

a) He knows how to suck up to his owner.You guys can read into the Kohl/Polin/Grunfeld situation on a number of levels. The bottom line is that he's obviously a good insider politician, otherwise he doesn't last nearly as long as he has.

b) Grunfeld is more than adept at working the phones and getting deals done involving overpaid veterans.He engages in a bunch of "activity" involving veterans that you assume he might know what he's doing. Sometimes he blows enough future assets to put together a 43-win team. But in the end, you mistake that "activity" for being a good GM.

Just my two cents. You guys won't get significantly better until you clean house and get a new front office.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,065

Post#16 » by nate33 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:50 am

There is no chance that EG gets fired this year. EG's biggest mistake of the offseason was the Okariza acquisition, which was something that Ted clearly signed off on. If you throw out that blunder, (which I certainly wouldn't, but Ted will,) the rest of his offseason was decent. He drafted Beal and signed Webster for cheap. Squandering 2nd round picks is rarely a fireable offense.

Don't get me wrong. I want him fired. I'm just sure it won't happen.
closg00
RealGM

Post#17 » by closg00 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:41 am

nate33 wrote:There is no chance that EG gets fired this year. EG's biggest mistake of the offseason was the Okariza acquisition, which was something that Ted clearly signed off on. If you throw out that blunder, (which I certainly wouldn't, but Ted will,) the rest of his offseason was decent. He drafted Beal and signed Webster for cheap. Squandering 2nd round picks is rarely a fireable offense.

Don't get me wrong. I want him fired. I'm just sure it won't happen.

What-if we go on another horrendous losing streak? Your probably right though, we're just desperate fans.
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#18 » by montestewart » Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:17 am

If Webster continues as he's played so far, it would be hard not to credit him for that. It may have been just a lucky roll of the dice, but some that didn't turn out might have been unlucky rolls.*

*The preceding post was not intended to convey support for a continuing EG reign.
Halcyon
Veteran
And1: 479

Post#19 » by Halcyon » Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:28 am

I think EG will get until the end of his contract to put together a playoff team at least. However I don't think Ted will sign off on a super veteran team to push towards the 8th playoff spot..I'm hoping Okariza is the last of the moves to get mediocre/average old players for a while. And hopefully leave the groundwork for the next GM and not a roster in shambles.
MJG
Assistant Coach
And1: 151

Post#20 » by MJG » Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:22 am

The fact that EG hasn't been fired already five times over, means that there's no good reason to suddenly think he's going to be fired now. It's rather unfortunate, I realize, but you got to be realistic about things like these.

Return to Washington Wizards