ImageImageImageImage

Trade Big Baby Thread

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

Blue_and_Whte
RealGM
And1: 9,226

Re: Trade Big Baby Thread 

Post#101 » by Blue_and_Whte » Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:01 pm

VGOSWAMI wrote:Davis is great when he is in a reduced role. But we actually count on him to score.

That's correct. He isn't a superstar but theyll need big night's from him to win games because we don't have one. Especially now with jameer and turk out.

Nicholson isn't really getting enough mins to say he's better already. Put drew in baby's role and see how well he does.

That being said if the right deal were in place I wouldn't mind them moving baby.
Faith, Family, Basketball
#2A
#Adopt
G-Heel
Head Coach
And1: 365

Post#102 » by G-Heel » Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:06 pm

Big Baby is loser that hog all the shots, I was hoping we trade him as soon as possible before the rest of the league figure he's just horrible. I hope he will plays better and Hannigan is smart enough to ship him out the 1st chance he got, all signs shows slim hope for either.

"Leadership" lawd! On the other hand, the more he plays, the better our chances are for the number 1 pick.
Fire Otis!
OrlandO
RealGM
And1: 16,421

Post#103 » by OrlandO » Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:15 pm

Maybe the coach is giving the rookie a lesson in humility. Starting him out playing garbage time will teach him what it's like at the bottom, so he works hard to never return there. If players leapfrog that phase, they may not appreciate the minutes as much. Unless you're a star, it's a privileged to play significant minutes, not a right. You gotta earn your place in this league because there is always someone waiting to take your spot. Nicholson will get his minutes in due time. His defense has been suspect, but we all know he has the potential to be lethal in the post.
Horcy
Lead Assistant
And1: 362

Post#104 » by Horcy » Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:19 pm

MoMM wrote:This board is really funny. In the start of the season he would be our leading scorer, BBD > D12 and now everyone wants to trade him for a ham sandwich.

It's not even funny at this point it's pathetic :lol:
BadMofoPimp
RealGM
And1: 11,574

Post#105 » by BadMofoPimp » Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:19 pm

OrlandO wrote:Maybe the coach is giving the rookie a lesson in humility.

Even Drummond, Lamb and most rookies in this draft class are playing less than 20 mpg. Most of them are not NBA ready. Players have to earn time on the court like everyone else. Obviously, these rookies are not good enough to beat out the players in front of them. And, I mean obviously to the coaching staff.

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
grayson11
Bench Warmer
And1: 58

Post#106 » by grayson11 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:08 pm

BadMofoPimp wrote:
grayson11 wrote:
BadMofoPimp wrote:You make it sound like he is just killing it out there. Tearing it up with all those moves and consistent offensive markmanship.

Not sure why Nicholson has to be "tearing it up" to warrant playing time on a rebuilding team. Besides, I'm sure if you gave most of our roster 20 shots a night they're bound to drop 7 buckets.

Don't get me wrong, BBD has a much better current ability than our young front-court. Only one concern with that though: we're not playing for the current title.

True that. But, a coach also has to play for his job to and to keep fans in the seats so the owner doesn't lose mad money either. Hence, it would be suicide to throw rookies in there and lose by 20-30pts every single night and play to an empty arena.

BBD may not be great, but he is a solid NBA player who fans like to watch even when he makes poor decisions, it gives people something to talk about. BBD does put a few butts in seats. Hence, makes money for the owner.

Yup, those reasons can't be denied. Everyone in the organization (including the players, JV, and RH) has their own reasons for taking up certain actions. But since I'm an unpaid supporter of this team, my preference remains as is. I don't get fired from being a fan just because I want the rooks to play. 8-)
Cigamodnalro
RealGM
And1: 66

Post#107 » by Cigamodnalro » Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:16 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Ls-A4zVyJ0[/youtube]
https://twitter.com/cigamodnalro
“A house pulled down is half rebuilt” - Ancient Proverb
"There's beauty in the breakdown" - Frou Frou
"We're going to turn this team around 360 degrees" - Jason Kidd
BadMofoPimp
RealGM

Post#108 » by BadMofoPimp » Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:29 pm

I loved it when the Commentators make comments about BBD when he is in the midst of taking a shot like "He didn't hesitate to take that shot" and I am just LOLOLOL afterwards. At least losing this way is funny.

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
OrlandO
RealGM
And1: 16,421

Post#109 » by OrlandO » Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:00 pm

Cigamodnalro wrote:[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Ls-A4zVyJ0[/youtube]

Nobody wants him taking threes unless he has no choice, but I'll leave these here anyway... :lol:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cV9C9QhS20Y[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8rcMPCtYJs[/youtube]
BadMofoPimp
RealGM

Post#110 » by BadMofoPimp » Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:28 pm

i just saw this and Laughed so hard at when he tried to run to the bench and the ref stopped him, then had to hold him up and the look on BBD face right afterwards.

Got to give him credit though. He was completely out of it and still tried to run.

For all the crazy, zany things he does on and off the court, BBD is a warrior and will do just about anything coaches ask him to do. He goes all out and you can't teach that to people.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcGdnvhOfNg&feature=player_embedded#![/youtube]

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
richboy
RealGM
And1: 2,486

Post#111 » by richboy » Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:12 am

Bensational wrote:someone has to take the shots. we've got a team full of role players and rookies, so ultimately, someone will have to step up. whilst i'd prefer JJ to be taking them, it doesn't seem to be in his nature. he's the consumate team player, looking for other people as much as his own shot. Afflalo seems reluctant to want to take over a game. Meer isn't healthy, nor is Hedo (although, he's just as bad as Baby). Vucevic could, but his numbers don't indicate a desire to take a game over, just a desire to play his role. Moore can score in bunches, but will his volume attempts really be that much better than Baby? Harkless and Nicholson are way too inconsistent.

Baby isn't ideal, but if we had a better option that was prepared to take on a more dominant role, they've got no excuse for failing to step up so far. we're undermanned, and we're projected as a scrub team.

with a squad like this, i'm happy for any player to take their chance to become a star. that's what it's all about.

Davis on a good team is a 8 shot per game guy.
Davis on a pretty mediocre bad team is around 12 shots per game.
Davis on a horrible team would be 15-16 shots per game
Davis at 20 shots a game would be a joke. At 20 shots a game he taking at least 7 shots a game he has almost no shot to make.

The idea that well we don't have any great players means he can take all the shots is just crazy. He just isn't good enough to take a bunch of shots. Were talking about a player who offensive rating was 10 points less than the league average last year.

The stone reality is Glen Davis is a chucker. He is one of those guys at the YMCA who takes shots he can't make. Who thinks he is better than what he really is. He nearly led the team a year ago in shots per minute. That with Dwight Howard, Ryan Anderson, Jason Richardson on the team. Right now he taking 19 shots per game in 31 minutes. Kevin Durant only takes 16 shots a game and plays nearly 40 minutes a game. He is chucking them up faster than Carmelo Anthony. Kyrie Irving is pretty much a one man show in Cleveland and he getting them up faster than him.

You will notice almost all high volume shooters are guards or wing players. For you to take that many shots as a 4 or 5 is pretty crazy. Kevin Love was pretty much a one man show last year. He got up 20 shots a game but it took him 40 minutes. Glen Davis is getting nearly as many shots per game in 31 as Kevin Love did in 40. Love scored 24 ppg on 117 offensive rating. Glen Davis 16 ppg on a 88 offensive rating.

Were not the only team with a lot of role players. Chicago is similar but you don't see Boozer taking 20 plus shots a game. Kemba Walker is the only Bobcat right now that takes a lot of shots per game at 16 a game. Big Baby gets up a bunch of shots because he just a selfish chucker who thinks he is talented.
"Talent is God-given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful." John Wooden
Cigamodnalro
RealGM
And1: 66

Post#112 » by Cigamodnalro » Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:18 am

richboy wrote:
Bensational wrote:someone has to take the shots. we've got a team full of role players and rookies, so ultimately, someone will have to step up. whilst i'd prefer JJ to be taking them, it doesn't seem to be in his nature. he's the consumate team player, looking for other people as much as his own shot. Afflalo seems reluctant to want to take over a game. Meer isn't healthy, nor is Hedo (although, he's just as bad as Baby). Vucevic could, but his numbers don't indicate a desire to take a game over, just a desire to play his role. Moore can score in bunches, but will his volume attempts really be that much better than Baby? Harkless and Nicholson are way too inconsistent.

Baby isn't ideal, but if we had a better option that was prepared to take on a more dominant role, they've got no excuse for failing to step up so far. we're undermanned, and we're projected as a scrub team.

with a squad like this, i'm happy for any player to take their chance to become a star. that's what it's all about.

Davis at 20 shots a game would be a joke. At 20 shots a game he taking at least 7 shots a game he has almost no shot to make.

The idea that well we don't have any great players means he can take all the shots is just crazy. He just isn't good enough to take a bunch of shots. Were talking about a player who offensive rating was 10 points less than the league average last year.

The stone reality is Glen Davis is a chucker. He is one of those guys at the YMCA who takes shots he can't make. Who thinks he is better than what he really is. He nearly led the team a year ago in shots per minute. That with Dwight Howard, Ryan Anderson, Jason Richardson on the team. Right now he taking 19 shots per game in 31 minutes. Kevin Durant only takes 16 shots a game and plays nearly 40 minutes a game. He is chucking them up faster than Carmelo Anthony. Kyrie Irving is pretty much a one man show in Cleveland and he getting them up faster than him.

You will notice almost all high volume shooters are guards or wing players. For you to take that many shots as a 4 or 5 is pretty crazy. Kevin Love was pretty much a one man show last year. He got up 20 shots a game but it took him 40 minutes. Glen Davis is getting nearly as many shots per game in 31 as Kevin Love did in 40. Love scored 24 ppg on 117 offensive rating. Glen Davis 16 ppg on a 88 offensive rating.

Were not the only team with a lot of role players. Chicago is similar but you don't see Boozer taking 20 plus shots a game. Kemba Walker is the only Bobcat right now that takes a lot of shots per game at 16 a game. Big Baby gets up a bunch of shots because he just a selfish chucker who thinks he is talented.

QFE
https://twitter.com/cigamodnalro
“A house pulled down is half rebuilt” - Ancient Proverb
"There's beauty in the breakdown" - Frou Frou
"We're going to turn this team around 360 degrees" - Jason Kidd
Orium
Assistant Coach
And1: 349

Post#113 » by Orium » Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:47 am

I think the debate over whether he's a chucker is pretty cut & dry. I guess it comes down to if you think it's OK to let a selfish chucker feed his ego on your team. You can make the argument that because we have no one else, who cares really? Let him chuck. I personally would never want to have that type of player on my team no matter what the circumstances.
The curse of Fran Vasquez lives on
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,269

Post#114 » by Bensational » Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:36 am

richboy wrote:

you don't understand - i don't disagree. but the fact is that nobody is stepping up to take the shots away from Baby. you think any decent scorer would defer to Baby the way a lot of others on this team have? Baby isn't taking the ball out of their hands, and he's often dumped the ball in the dwindling seconds of the shot clock.

like i said - let someone step up and take over and take those shots. i really don't care.
Last Guardian
RealGM
And1: 3,829

Post#115 » by Last Guardian » Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:19 pm

Bensational wrote:
Last Guardian wrote:Nicholson is inconsistent? And what is Baby? Consistent....ly bad and inefficient? Not sure I get that line of thinking. I guarantee Drew would do a lot better with Babys shot attempts than Baby does. He has a better shooting stroke, a big wingspan and better post moves.

If you want to harp on defense....well, we aren't winning anyway!

I like Nicholson and i'm all for him getting big minutes (or all the minutes) to learn on the job. Vaughn hasn't been giving him many minutes at all for whatever reason - and I don't think it's because of his offense or because he's young. Baby is setting the standard for the defensive end, and maybe once Nicholson shows that level of hustle/effort/performance then he'll see more minutes. I can only imagine that this is a lesson in patience, effort and doing what coach says for him.

Personally, I'd be happy to watch a Vucevic/Nicholson/Harkless/JJ/Moore lineup all season.

I'm fine with that. It is just that these excuses people are making for Davis are baffling. Nich is better offensively, there is no question. I don't care if we bring him along slowly, but no one should be trying to argue that fact. Almost everyone in the league is better than Baby offensively.

As for that lineup, I agree with the frontcourt. Would rather Nelson and Afflalo starting.
BadMofoPimp
RealGM

Post#116 » by BadMofoPimp » Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:50 pm

Playing backup minutes against backup players doesn't make someone superior offensively. If Nicholson played with the starters now, he would get worked on both sides of the floor and hurt the team. That is why he isn't playing much. He is not ready to play with the big dogs. Vaughn and about every coach knows this.

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
Last Guardian
RealGM
And1: 3,829

Post#117 » by Last Guardian » Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:00 am

BadMofoPimp wrote:Playing backup minutes against backup players doesn't make someone superior offensively. If Nicholson played with the starters now, he would get worked on both sides of the floor and hurt the team. That is why he isn't playing much. He is not ready to play with the big dogs. Vaughn and about every coach knows this.

Shooting 7/21 and proving you are absolutely terrible offensively doesn't make someone superior offensively.

But whatever, at some point you have to realize when someone is just arguing for the hell of it and it really isn't worth going back and forth. Davis > Drew offensively, LOL.
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,079

Post#118 » by tiderulz » Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:22 pm

BadMofoPimp wrote:Playing backup minutes against backup players doesn't make someone superior offensively. If Nicholson played with the starters now, he would get worked on both sides of the floor and hurt the team. That is why he isn't playing much. He is not ready to play with the big dogs. Vaughn and about every coach knows this.

no. But many players get better when they practice and play against better competition. And who cares if Nicholson and the team get worked right now, isnt this a tank year anyways? If Nicholson can cut his teeth, and the team can identify if he can get better and be NBA caliber PF or if he will be a backup/role player for a long time.
Hilltop
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 731

Post#119 » by Hilltop » Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:57 pm

Things will likely settle down once Turkoglu and Nelson are back in the lineup. At least one could only hope that would be the case.

I'd feel more strongly about this if I wasn't okay with losing and accumulating ping pong balls but I still throw up a little bit in my mouth when I watch Davis try to do his best impression of Nowitzki. His efficiency is as disgusting as it was last year and I wasn't afraid to call him out then. Being a bad team isn't an excuse for him to take this many FGA. Coach needs to keep him and check and take shots away from him even in the absence of our primary ball handlers.
Hilltop
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 731

Post#120 » by Hilltop » Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:11 pm

Bensational wrote:
richboy wrote:

you don't understand - i don't disagree. but the fact is that nobody is stepping up to take the shots away from Baby. you think any decent scorer would defer to Baby the way a lot of others on this team have? Baby isn't taking the ball out of their hands, and he's often dumped the ball in the dwindling seconds of the shot clock.

like i said - let someone step up and take over and take those shots. i really don't care.

To be fair, Davis' shooting percentage is just as terrible in other ranges of the shotclock (even worse in some of them).

This was the case last season as well. People said his FG% was being sabotaged by last-second prayers but that isn't exactly true. In no range of the shotclock is Baby even close to being efficient.

IMO his only redeeming qualities are his passion and hustle. But I'm not sure those can overcome the harm he causes the team on the offensive end. Even his defense seems to have taken a slide this year.

Return to Orlando Magic