Sixth Man
And1: 85

Pau Gasol for Millsap, Marvin, Raja 

Post#1 » by blackham9258 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:48 pm

UTAH OUT: Millsap, Marvin, Raja Bell
UTAH IN: Pau Gasol

LA OUT: Pau Gasol
LA IN: Millsap, Marvin, Raja

Would we be open to adding our own first rounder (not the GSW pick), or Randy Foye instead of Bell?

Thoughts?

I think this gives LAL a ton of depth and they fit D'Antoni's system and Pau Gasol gives us a top 10 player in the league and All Star to build around for the next 5 years.

In the off-season we sign and trade Jefferson to pick up a traded player exception.
The59Sound
Head Coach
And1: 917

Re: Pau Gasol for Millsap, Marvin, Raja 

Post#2 » by The59Sound » Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:11 pm

In 5 years, Pau Gasol will be 37. Even now, I don't think he's a player you build around; he's a top-tier second/third option. I definitely pass on this one.
R-DAWG wrote:Look guys, no matter what happens we know Fegan is a man of his word and Dwight Howard doesn't change his mind once he makes a decision.

The Quantifiable Connection: An Interstellar fan site.
http://www.quantifiableconnection.com
StocktonShorts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,551

Post#3 » by StocktonShorts » Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:16 pm

Every time I get tempted by Pau Gasol (I even recently thumbsed-up a Gasol trade in one of these threads) someone reminds me why it's a bad idea: he's getting old and he's expensive. He would've been great with the Deron Williams-era Jazz, but now? Jazz should pass.
Fido
Veteran
And1: 35

Post#4 » by Fido » Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:29 pm

No thanks. Really.
blackham9258
Sixth Man

Post#5 » by blackham9258 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:30 pm

Here is my thought:

Pau is a top 10 player and will be for 3 full years, then he starts to slide. At the end of the season we can either re-up Al Jefferson for 3 but likely 4 years at $12.5M per, or we can have one more year of Pau to bridge the gap to the younger generation. If over this next two years Kanter and Favors prove to be offensively up to the task by the end of next year then we move on. If we feel Kanter is just too far away then resigning a 34 year old Pau Gasol for 2-3 years at $11M per seems to be a better bet.

His skills will not diminish like other players who rely on their athleticism. He is a finesse player like Tim Duncan, but even if you compare him to Garnett who is still a key contributor at 36, even he just signed a 3 year deal at 36 like Duncan. We would be resigning a 34 year old Gasol. Either way I see it as a major upgrade over Paul, and Marvin and it eliminates the mistake of resigning Al Jefferson for 4 years... which I see as a complete and total surrender to mediocrity.

2013-2014
Gasol, Kanter
Favors, Perhaps resigned Paul Millsap, Draft Pick, Evans
Hayward, Darft Pick
Burks/Foye
Williams/Signed Maynor

That looks so much better to me than locking into mediocrity with either Sap or Jefferson resigned.
blackham9258
Sixth Man

Post#6 » by blackham9258 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:53 pm

I posted this on the LAL board and they love it. It just seems to me when you have the chance to get a top 10 player you do it no matter what. Remember to resign Millsap for $10M per which is what he is wanting is essentially inviting mediocrity. I love Millsap but he is a $6.5-$8M a year guy and a 3rd big. If you are paying him starters money to be a 6th man you have trouble.

As far as Jefferson goes he is going to be looking for 4/$56M, but will accept 4/$50M, and again here you are inviting mediocrity if you re-up Jefferson.

Let Jefferson expire, sign and trade him to get the traded player exception of $12-$14M per and move on.

Gasol gives you one more year to evaluate Kanter and Favors, and we will still likely resign him for 3/$33M like Duncan and Garnett got when they we 36, even though Gasol will be 34 when he signs on. That 5 years of Gasol, 3 at his prime, 2 slightly less. Thats far better than anything Millsap or Jefferson gives us. Also remember, if we want to go after Paul in the off-season we could but I would just move on to a 3 big rotation of Favors, Kanter, Gasol.

Losing Marvin just moves Hayward to the SF, and gives us more Burks and Foye.

I don't see how we lose and if LA is really that willing to do this deal, I think it is a no brainer for us.
DelaneyRudd
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 9,337

Post#7 » by DelaneyRudd » Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:01 am

Take out Marvin, add Watson instead. Jazz can then use Foye as third PG for the year. Or Demarre Carrol.
blackham9258
Sixth Man

Post#8 » by blackham9258 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:10 am

Marvin would have been a better deal had we got a first for taking on his extra year, but I just don't think he is worth the money and utlimately feel that Foye/Burks & Hayward/Carrol is better than not getting minutes and growth out of Burks.

Marvin is a luxury, and an expensive one that I think we need to correct not double down on.
reapaman
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,220

Post#9 » by reapaman » Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:42 am

Just doesn't make any sense at all to get more veterans unless they make us a contender sometime soon which Gasol surely doesn't especially if Jefferson is leaving the Jazz and we don't get an equal or better player for him.

Would be a complete waste of time and effort
BRING JAMAAL FRANKLIN TO UTAH!!!!!
QuantumMacgyver
Bench Warmer
And1: 42

Post#10 » by QuantumMacgyver » Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:09 am

Of course L.A. liked it. The bottom line may be that Paul needs to be moved before the end of the season, and I might entertain Paul/Raja for Pau and a future pick, but Lakers picks aren't too valuable and they already owe the next few years to Phoenix. Remember the Lakers are going to be pressing hard to move Gasol as the repeater tax kicks in next year. No reason for us to give them more when they are the ones eager to unload contracts.
Fido
Veteran
And1: 35

Post#11 » by Fido » Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:55 am

You do know that Gasol makes well over $19 mill next year, right?
DelaneyRudd
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 9,337

Post#12 » by DelaneyRudd » Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:59 am

Fido wrote:You do know that Gasol makes well over $19 mill next year, right?

Oh yeah....
habibadobe
Sophomore
And1: 3

Post#13 » by habibadobe » Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:17 am

This only works for me if you move both Jefferson and Millsap for him. Then the Jazz have a big rotation of Favors, Gasol, Kanter, Evans. Just need to sign an extra big for injury backup. I say keep Marvin Wiliams, he can play some back up 4 if you need as well. I think you need to find a 3rd team to take Jefferson and send something to LA along with Millsap.

Gasol has this year and next left of his deal. Would rather have Gasol next year for 20million then Jefferson 4 years for 60 milllion or Millsap at 4 years for 48 million. Gasol expires before any of our young guys need extentions. If you sign a free agent this summer with the cap room you may end up like the Thunder where you trade a great player because you overpaid a role player. Harden/? owns Perkins/K-Mart. All the good players got extended other then Howard and Paul and they are not coming to the Jazz.
Reckless
Analyst
And1: 564

Post#14 » by Reckless » Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:41 am

blackham9258 wrote:I posted this on the LAL board and they love it.

roll
Sophomore
And1: 3

Post#15 » by roll » Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:04 am

No.
It's time to jazz with Hayward and Favors!
UTJazzFan_Echo1
Lead Assistant
And1: 279

Post#16 » by UTJazzFan_Echo1 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:38 am

Swap Paul for Jefferson and you got yourself a deal.
Jerry Sloan >>>>>>>> Everything else.
sunevisions
Pro Prospect
And1: 107

Post#17 » by sunevisions » Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:57 pm

No from jazz!

1, Pau is top 10 player in Spain but not in NBA
2, Pau earning 19 million per year with 31, or 32!? still have 3 more year!

We dont trade big Al 1 on 1 for Pau coz the team direction!

You can go back lal forum and tell them Jazz turn down the trade!
blackham9258
Sixth Man

Post#18 » by blackham9258 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:03 pm

Freed from Kobe's chucking Pau is a top 10 player in the league. He only has one year left on his current contract, which means we can re up him for less money when Gordon and Favors kick in. He is better than Al and would average 18/10 immediately while giving us 3x the defense, 3x the passing, and he isn't a ball stopping black hole. He would give us better floor spacing and his length alone and ability to better handle pick and roll make him a huge and instant upgrade.
SoCalJazzFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,015

Post#19 » by SoCalJazzFan » Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:13 pm

A trade of Al for Pau would be great, but not going to happen. Lakers have zero need of Al with D12 there.

I think a more complicated trade with several teams could get Pau in Utah in place of Big Al.

For example:

UTAH
Out- Sap, Al and Raja
In- Pau, Hickson, 2 picks

LAKERS
Out- Pau
In- Sap, Raja

HOUSTON
Out- Asik, 1st rd pick
In- Big Al

PORTLAND
Out- Hickson, 1st rd pick
In- Asik

Why Utah does it- with Sap and Al this team is a borderline playoff team, 7th seed at best. Al is a great go to offensive player, but kills the team on defense. Sap is a great, albeit undersized player whose replacement (Favors) needs more minutes. Jazz don't have to pay Raja, and get Pau who will be a huge improvement with respect to ball movement, getting to the line, etc. Jazz can realistically only keep Al or Sap going forward, and neither will make them a low seed in the playoffs, let alone a contender. The extra year to determine the fate of Favors and Kanter is helpful too. Hickson is a way underrated PF, and could do really well combined with Kanter on the 2nd unit. If he works out well, Jazz could sign him to a reasonable contract. Jazz are no worse than a 7th/8th seed playoff team with new lineup, and perhaps better.

Why Lakers do it- Lakers would like to trade Gasol given his contract with tax implications and the fact that he probably doesn't have much of a role in a D'Antoni offense. They would save a ton of cash and get two players that could fit within their new system. Unfortunately, the Lakers could actually be a better team with this trade.

Why Houston does it- Big Al is a huge upgrade over Asik. Houston has their future PG, SG and plenty of young forwards. They are missing that above average center, though.

Why Portland does it- Hickson is their starting center- at 6'9"!! They lack frontcourt size and depth in a major way and Asik might actually appeal to them enough to give up Hickson and a 1st round pick.
StocktonShorts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,551

Post#20 » by StocktonShorts » Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:03 am

Is Big Al a huge upgrade over Asik? I'm not so sure. I don't think you'd get a consensus on that if you surveyed all the GMs.

Return to Utah Jazz