Why do we lock or move threads at every chance?

Want something added or changed? Let yourself be heard here!
RedX
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,947

Why do we lock or move threads at every chance? 

Post#1 » by RedX » Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:08 pm

Seriously,

I get the rules but the Raptor's board is becoming a pice of crap. We're locking anything any everything that's not another stupid moan about not drafting Drummond, or picking our starting 5, or discussing some misinterpreted quote.

This honestly needs to change.

I'm not saying leave all the garbage on here... but just the same, stop locking everything that's not linear in your guidelines. All the generic posts end up derailing anyway into one of the categories I listed above. Why not leave some threads unlocked and actually seeing where they go? Even if they are not crystal clear generic/common Raptors bs.

And if you're gonna move threads, you know what else would help? If it was easier to navigate between the trade forums / raptors forums / general forums. Right now we have to go way back to the main menu, than pick what category to view. If you're going to move threads at will, than at least make the navigation between the different forums a 1 click feature. Maybe add a drop-down on every page where you can switch the section, or another bar of links at the top that lists some of the main ones, or ones you most regularly visit.

Another thing that would help is being able to customize your forums. Create a forum that acts like an inbox. You can see all posts from the other main forum pages you like (not just the individual pages you posted in). For example, if I like the trade board / Raptors board, than let me customize an area where I see all posts from both of those pages. That way if you still want to move thread's it doesn't effect participation.

I've been on here for 3 years now and the interface hasn't evolved to suit the way forum's are being run. I feel there's less of a focus on building a better community, more thread locking / moving, and ultimately a lot of lame and reoccurring posts. Why would we need to visit different boards when our post is entered in the community we mostly participate in? If I'm posting on the Raptors board, than I want to hear from that board, not some other one that the thread gets moved to.

Hopefully something happens along these lines. More than anything else, if there's no structural changes to the web page, than at least stop being so damn anal about moving / locking. Give posts a chance and see if people are enjoying & participating.
Susp3ct
Veteran
And1: 2,058

Re: Why do we lock or move threads at every chance? 

Post#2 » by Susp3ct » Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:22 pm

this thread will be moved to the feedback section...
RedX
Lead Assistant

Post#3 » by RedX » Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:25 pm

Susp3ct wrote:this thread will be moved to the feedback section...

Of course it will. Because most of the community will participate there right?

How many of us actually go to the feedback section?

This is what I'm talking about. Give the thread a chance to get input form THIS community, than move it to the feedback section in a week when its dead and there's actual FEEDBACK accumulated.
Fusk
Sophomore
And1: 574

Post#4 » by Fusk » Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:28 pm

C'mon man; you started a thread because Garbajosa appears in a 6 year old picture regarding an article about Delonte West. Did you expect it to be left unlocked?

I'm not trying to get on your case, but what was your intention regarding the discussion to be had in a thread like that?
RedX
Lead Assistant

Post#5 » by RedX » Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:31 pm

Fusk wrote:C'mon man; you started a thread because Garbajosa appears in a 6 year old picture regarding an article about Delonte West. Did you expect it to be left unlocked?

I'm not trying to get on your case, but what was your intention regarding the discussion to be had in a thread like that?

No, I was f'n around on that one. Its safe to lock if it fills your glass.

However, who'se to say people wouldn't post links of other places that Raptors have been spotted? Maybe it becomes something entertaining?

Maybe it would have been stupid all-together, but give it a day, see where it goes, than lock it...
cl2268
Sophomore
And1: 337

Post#6 » by cl2268 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:31 pm

basketball reasons.
SHFT
Head Coach
And1: 4,956

Post#7 » by SHFT » Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:32 pm

Just logged in, tried to say Eid Mubarak to my brothers and sisters but alas I can not, is the thread moved?
RedX
Lead Assistant

Post#8 » by RedX » Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:32 pm

cl2268 wrote:basketball reasons.

Thanks for not reading my post. Carry on.
bigdirty2
Banned User
And1: 22

Post#9 » by bigdirty2 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:33 pm

It's mainly just 1 mod.
sanity
RealGM
And1: 1,812

Post#10 » by sanity » Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:34 pm

If Colangelo would get rid of Kleiza everyone would be happy
thebigv
Senior
And1: 30

Post#11 » by thebigv » Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:34 pm

I agree.
LittleOzzy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,197

Post#12 » by LittleOzzy » Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:35 pm

RedX wrote:Maybe add a drop-down on every page where you can switch the section.

The forum already has that at the bottom of every thread, including this one.

We lock and move threads to keep people on topic. It's the Toronto Raptors forum and 99% of the time threads need to be related to the team in some way. Unless of course it's big NBA news.

That's not going to change.

If you want to talk about trades, general NBA stuff, whatever else we have plenty of other forums for that on RealGM.
Alfred
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,853

Post#13 » by Alfred » Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:06 pm

SHFT wrote:Just logged in, tried to say Eid Mubarak to my brothers and sisters but alas I can not, is the thread moved?

Yes indeed! The Eid Mubarak threat is on the Canada O.T. board:

viewforum.php?f=72
revvolutions
Starter
And1: 1,270

Post#14 » by revvolutions » Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:47 pm

I don't think the drop down menu works because its such a huge web board. However, a custom interface, much like having your own reddit frontpage, based on subscription to certain boards, and popularity would work great for all the moving/cross posting going on. I would make the mods job easier, because posters would only see the posts they want.

RedX wrote:More than anything else, if there's no structural changes to the web page, than at least stop being so damn anal about moving / locking. Give posts a chance and see if people are enjoying & participating.

Co-sign, if no one is going to invest time and has a vision to bring the communities together, then you need to cater to each community individually. And not in the way the raptors board is currently catered to.
[img]http://i57.tinypic.com/bfj4f4.png[/im2g]
vini_vidi_vici
RealGM
And1: 20,796

Post#15 » by vini_vidi_vici » Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:42 pm

I for one think you should lock more threads, and move them all out that are not Raps related. The forum is cluttered with OT posts, an things that may have the vaguest reference of the Raptors. I come because this is the best place the find the breaking news an the Raps and the subsequent posts about it. I think too many of you have a compulsion to start threads because its something you feel compelled to talk about and have no other venue, thus making a obscure reference to the Raptors.

And to reference the OPs previously and rightly so locked thread. You mean that a newspaper in the Toronto area would use Raptors pictures in their publications, very surprising indeed. Also, I frequently visit 2+2 (I guess poker doesnt count), HFBoards, Sons of Samhorn, and numerous other sports related forums, they wouldnt tolerate this garbage in most of those places either.
BossHoggin
General Manager
And1: 571

Post#16 » by BossHoggin » Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:45 am

I'd prefer to keep Raptors topics out of the Cavs forum. Our mods do a good job though.
Heat3Peat wrote:See this is why it's nice being a LeBron fan, no super hard allegiance to a team so there is no up and down emotions with me during a time like this.
Howard Mass
Site Admin
Site Admin
And1: 15,607

Post#17 » by Howard Mass » Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:24 am

I just wanted to stay that I stand behind The Raptors Moderators and the decisions they make.

They are an outstanding Moderator Team.
R.I.P. Dharam Raghubir (A.K.A. Magnumt)

:beer:
Mattd97
Head Coach
And1: 2,489

Post#18 » by Mattd97 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:52 pm

im gonna suggest that mods put a name to their locks just so if there is a question about why that we can PM them personally to try to get answers rather than ask the community at large
vergogna wrote:- game starts at 3.50
- nice passing at 4.15
- BARGS REBOUND at 4.47
- BARGS REBOUND (almost) at 6.23
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 19,945

Post#19 » by tsherkin » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:01 pm

I don't think that's necessarily appropriate. If they felt the need to explain a lock, then they'd have posted in the thread to make it clear. If it's an obvious violation of board policy, though, then it's not always necessary and it's not particularly fair to make themselves lightning rods for the ire of a board. The Raps board is one of the boards where there are a ton of posters who jump at the chance to make a fuss over nothing, for example, and I see no need to air out a mod because he locked a thread.
Mattd97
Head Coach
And1: 2,489

Post#20 » by Mattd97 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:35 pm

if theyre making the right call im not sure theres anything to hide from. my guess would be that many threads that get locked arent consensus decisions. accountability is rarely a bad thing, especially if its an easy decision that you stand by. certain mods already write a post when they lock a thread saying why, and its useful. when 18 'vince carter needs his jersey retired' posts put up in a day sure its pretty easy and universal decision, others arent as clean cut
vergogna wrote:- game starts at 3.50
- nice passing at 4.15
- BARGS REBOUND at 4.47
- BARGS REBOUND (almost) at 6.23

Return to Feedback and Suggestions