ImageImageImageImageImage

POLL: Who Should Be Our Closer?

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

Who should be our closer?

Kyle Lowry
64%
Andrea Bargnani
3%
Demar Derozan
22%
We don't have him yet
12%

Total votes: 110

TripleMKE
Sixth Man
And1: 3,342

POLL: Who Should Be Our Closer? 

Post#1 » by TripleMKE » Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:48 pm

The Raptors just keep forgetting how to play basketball in the 4th quarter when the game is close. So I wanna know who should have the ball in their hands when the game's coming down to the wire because I'm tired of these Aaron Gray pick and rolls.

The Raptors scored 5 points in the 4th quarter yesterday...that's just embarrassing. This needs to Stop!
Shaazzam
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,223

Re: POLL: Who Should Be Our Closer? 

Post#2 » by Shaazzam » Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:51 pm

Base it on matchups but we need a plan.
Imageprops to Turbo_Zone
Coach Smiley
Assistant Coach
And1: 980

Re: Who Should Be Our Closer? 

Post#3 » by Coach Smiley » Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:51 pm

The sad thing is it is there for the taking, but no one wants to step up, when you are a kid playing in the backyard this is what you should want, to take over and close games. It is such a luxury having a guy that will actually take that roll on. Listen to Doc Rivers in huddles at the end of games, all he he has to say is Paul take us home and Pierce does the rest. I wish Bargnani would be that guy but he looks as shook as anyone
KnickerBonkerz
Analyst
And1: 1,903

Post#4 » by KnickerBonkerz » Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:02 pm

Lowry is the best option for a closer the Raptors have. He hit a big shot in Indiana that woulda been the game winner, had George Hill not come back and hit his shot.

The guy just has so much confidence, and can create his own shot the best out of anyone we have. Easy
sanity
RealGM
And1: 1,812

Post#5 » by sanity » Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:04 pm

My vote goes to the walking corpse of a Bargnani who doesn't do anything other than rush perimeter 3pt shots
Death Knight
RealGM
And1: 3,129

Post#6 » by Death Knight » Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:09 pm

The first answer is Lowry. And as much as I don't trust DeMar during crunch time, I think it's worth a look if he has a smaller player on him. He has shown he's willing to take em in the post this season. Bargnani is no longer an option. The dude has consistently taken wild turn around fades that hit the side of the board, no thanks.
StevieWonderMic
Sophomore
And1: 24

Post#7 » by StevieWonderMic » Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:20 pm

Lowry with the ball in his hands and if it's there take it. Derozan should be first tho then Andrea. Derozan has been getting mad and I like that. It's not fake toughness either, he's legit pissed.
Qhawe
Sixth Man
And1: 1,697

Post#8 » by Qhawe » Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:27 pm

I think its pretty clear we dont have a consistent one yet. Demar is close but he's not there. he cant handle the double team yet. Lowry is probaly the closest but I just don't trust him either

Boogie Williams: Favourite Raptor
Undefeated
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,105

Post#9 » by Undefeated » Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:48 pm

I guess Lowry because he has the shot-creating and shot-making ability, and the explosiveness out of a triple threat/jab step game to attack hard when he has an angle to the rim. That deceptive crossover of his allows him to navigate to anywhere he wants to on the floor. Though, ISOs can easily be stopped especially when those guys don't look to pass which Lowry does have a tendency to do.

I wouldn't mind seeing DeMar or Terrence Ross either. With the way how defenses are playing against the Raptors by packing the paint I'd run some pindowns like screen-the-screener for those two guys to get the shot as soon as they explode off the pick. Even if DeMar isn't an efficient 3-point shooter right now he's shown the confidence to rise up and cooly shoot which is the biggest trait when you want your guys to close out. Can't be having players taking that last shot when they get shook up in the moment being hesitant and allowing the defense to recover for a closeout. But yeah, something like how the Spurs ran last night for Danny Green with the false action on the baseline with that brush screen, and flaring out to the wing for the catch-and-shoot after the pindown for Ross, Calderon, Lowry or DeRozan would work.
Basketball is like poetry in motion, cross the guy to the left, take him back to the right, he's fallin back, then just J right in his face. Then you look at him and say, "What?" - Jesus Shuttlesworth
evenflow
Junior
And1: 20

Post#10 » by evenflow » Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:53 pm

Whoever has a good shot.

There should be no one individual player who automatically gets the ball in those situations. Run a team orientated offense and just get a good shot. We have guys who can hit those shots, just make sure we get the best shot possible.

No more of this one on one and Iso BS.

*Is it Whoever? or Who ever? Grammar has never been my forte :(
'In the beginning the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.'
Indeed
RealGM
And1: 3,048

Post#11 » by Indeed » Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:05 pm

Lowry

I don't think scoring on the 4th is the problem.
Our problem was earlier in the game, where our bench lacked scoring.

Best would have another ball penetrator off the bench, rather than John Lucas, who I thought can take the job from pre-season. A stretch big like Kleiza would be useful as well.
billyc
Sophomore
And1: 125

Post#12 » by billyc » Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:22 pm

The one that has the best possibility of scoring given the spacing on the floor and the player's ability to score on that spot.
andrej perboski
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#13 » by andrej perboski » Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:23 pm

sanity wrote:My vote goes to the walking corpse of a Bargnani who doesn't do anything other than rush perimeter 3pt shots

Maybe this is Casey's plan
He shoot too much from the arc this year, the max in career (4.3 for game)
Just Win Baby
Senior
And1: 75

Post#14 » by Just Win Baby » Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:25 pm

Clearly, it should be Jose Triple Double Calderon
niQ
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 29,168

Post#15 » by niQ » Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:28 pm

1) Kyle Lowry
2) Whoever gets the ball happens to fall to between DeRozan/JL3/Ross.
lobosloboslobos
RealGM
And1: 17,793

Post#16 » by lobosloboslobos » Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:28 pm

evenflow wrote:Whoever has a good shot.

There should be no one individual player who automatically gets the ball in those situations. Run a team orientated offense and just get a good shot. We have guys who can hit those shots, just make sure we get the best shot possible.

No more of this one on one and Iso BS.

I agree with this. Iso ball bores me. But having said that, who would i want to have the ball with the game on the line:

1) Lowry
2) Val - I think we should build our entire offence around him and that includes the end of the game
3) Demar
Big Shot
Analyst
And1: 690

Post#17 » by Big Shot » Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:28 pm

At the moment, it's Lowry. DD might have a chance as time goes by and he improves. First he has to stop doing that 360 turn around jumper.
fredericklove
Banned User
And1: 6,398

Post#18 » by fredericklove » Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:28 pm

Lowry or Rudy Gay.
sanity
RealGM
And1: 1,812

Post#19 » by sanity » Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:31 pm

As much as it pains me to say Bargnani is actually shooting reasonably well from the 3 this season. Anything/everything else, he's been quite disastrous at
witnessraps
RealGM
And1: 4,650

Post#20 » by witnessraps » Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:39 pm

I think if we're talking fourth quarter in general, we need a steady dose of Lowry and DeMar almost every possession. They have proven they can make good things happen off the bounce going to the basket.

If we're talking last second shot kind of play then I'm going with Lowry then DeMar and Andrea a distant 3rd at this point

Return to Toronto Raptors