ImageImageImageImage

Game #7: New York Knicks(4-0) @ Orlando Magic(2-4)

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

SmiteaDwight
Banned User
And1: 14

Re: Game #7: New York Knicks(4-0) @ Orlando Magic(2-4) 

Post#361 » by SmiteaDwight » Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:50 am

Bensational wrote:
SmiteaDwight wrote:No offense, but this just outright stupid.

He was playing well. It was obvious. Just because Jacque Vaughn is the coach doesnt mean he wasnt once a basketball fan like the rest of us. It's not like he has superhuman basketball knowledge. It was OBVIOUS. The kid wanted to contribute and he was.

You want him playing through entirely extrinsic motivation? "coach said I did well"? I dont want to hear that, I want to hear him go out hungry to play well. There's a reason why were paying himn millions to play basketball, and that's because he can do it better than anyone else. He needs to have confidence in himself to do what he thinks is right, because that's what has gotten him here in the first p[lace.

i don't want to hear a rookie talking like he has a place in judging whether he should, or shouldn't be on the court. and going by everything Hennigan and Vaughn have said, that's exactly where their heads are at too.

i'll admit, it's harsh and an exageration of this one quote from him, but my main point was that i wouldn't take that quote as a sign of greatness or him having a great attitude.

SmiteaDwight wrote:Oh and by the way, you're comparison of Harkless to Josh Smith, Tmac and Rudy Gay on the other thread is horribly off.

All those guys came into the league with much more advanced skillsets than Harkless currently has, and were really all destined to become all stars. I don't believe Harkless has all star potential, and if he does he will be different player than those you mentioned.

Right now he needs to model his game after being a taller Ronnie Brewer with his finishing ability around the rim and defensive ability, Be cause he cannot shoot and has a very raw offensive game.

Tmac's jumpshot didn't develop until a couple of seasons in. his efficiency as a shooter is what blew everyone away when he got his exposure with us. he was primarily an athletic wing before that.

Josh Smith isn't what i'd consider a good shooter, by any means. he's manageable, but he's far from good. if Harkless can't replicate that level of performance, then he's doing something wrong.

all those guys came in with length and raw ability. Harkless has the same, and his jumpshot isn't beyond correction. PLENTY of players have developed better shooting ability since joining the league. Kobe, LeBron have even made a transition from their early years as big slashers, to their later years as all round threats.

You're comparing Harkless to guys who have good, fluid shooting form naturally. Harkless is raw offensively, none of those guys were ever raw offensively.

He's got alot of work to do and I think comparing him to guys who all became all stars is a bit premature.

another good comparison I can think of for Harkless is Trevor Ariza.
Clincher
General Manager
And1: 694

Post#362 » by Clincher » Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:54 am

I like Harkless as a Batum type too but again you guys have to wait a year for him to really get acquainted to the NBA. I still feel like he should have stayed for his Sophomore year at STJ.

I think he's got more potential than Ariza/Ronnie Brewer. I think his rebounding and post up game will be very good. Don't know if he'll ever develop that outside shot though.
T-Rob
Magic Forum Mock Draft Co-Champ
And1: 58

Post#363 » by T-Rob » Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:33 am

it sounds like Big Baby is acting during that interview.
MagicStarwipe
RealGM
And1: 12,041

Post#364 » by MagicStarwipe » Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:46 am

Big Baby sounds like that in every interview. Not to say he's acting, that's just how he talks. Not to say he isn't acting either.
RealGM Classics - Oladipo's "rude" celebration comes back to bite him: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1358414
NickAnderson
General Manager
And1: 2,922

Post#365 » by NickAnderson » Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:21 am

Harkless will be Deng with no shot.
Leaguepass
Starter
And1: 134

Post#366 » by Leaguepass » Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:42 pm

Hey guys I thought you played a good game. I really really like Afflalo and generally hope you guys get back on track sooner rather than later as you were the only good east team I could root for in the past years (Heat,Bulls,Celtics and Pacers aren't exactly teams a knick fan can root for). Still pissed at that missed Courtney Lee layup a few years back in the finals as I thought you could have definitely won the title that year and it was priceless to watch you guys beat Lebron despite that huge 3 point shot.

Anyways as for judging the Knicks....this was definitely our worst/most sluggish game of the season. Looked nothing like the defense of the first 3 games. For some reason our defense dropped some against the Mavs and was invisible against you for 3 quarters. I think you'll see a different knick team vs. the Spurs and Grizzlies.
Leaguepass
Starter
And1: 134

Post#367 » by Leaguepass » Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:49 pm

FFBlitzace wrote:The Knicks are pretty good, but like the Nets, they have absolutely no chance of beating a healthy Heat team. Honestly, unless the Lakers can get straightened out, the Heat are likely to just waltz their way to another title, like it or not.

1.I think the Knicks are much better than the Nets. In fact I think the Knicks would sweep them or win in 5 at most.

2.You are right about the Heat. I have huge trouble believing that even at full health,full chemistry that we'd have any shot against them. I think in order to take down Miami this current knick team minus Amar'e would need another top 10 superstar calibur player.Someone like a prime Garnett. I hope the Knicks can prove me wrong though.
magicman123
RealGM
And1: 722

Post#368 » by magicman123 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:35 pm

When i watch harkless I see a more athletic Scottie pippen ;)
adjacent2bench
RealGM
And1: 7,476

Post#369 » by adjacent2bench » Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:06 pm

NickAnderson wrote:Harkless will be Deng with no shot.

His shot could be fixable. Kid has a lot of upside.
BadMofoPimp
RealGM
And1: 11,574

Post#370 » by BadMofoPimp » Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:35 pm

In the 2nd half when Harkless came in, he struggled. Vaughn wanted his best players out there for the 4th. It didn't work, but that is NBA basketball. At halftime, even Harkless admitted he doesn't know the system as he said he is just reacting. He missed pre-season n such. Plus, he is so young and like a kid in that interview. He has much growing up to do before he can be a consistent player. It is a long season and Harkless will have plenty of time to learn the system. Next year, I bet he can be that player.

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
Potterman
Lead Assistant
And1: 35

Post#371 » by Potterman » Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:51 pm

I think he has plenty of potential. He is one of the youngest players in the NBA right now. (Like top 5 I think was mentioned the other night.) Give a kid some time to actually develop. Right now, he is raw, but athletic.
:rockon: DEFCON - FIRESALE ON THE MAGIC! :rockon:
Leopold_Stoich
Freshman
And1: 1

Post#372 » by Leopold_Stoich » Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:45 pm

I think his offense is still up for discussion on the fact that he hasn't displayed much of it yet. He says he's still not 100% and performing at the level he wants to be. Like he said in the halftime interview he's more comfortable and he's able to do what comes naturally to him now. His offense will show once he gets his feet a little more planted in the NBA. His defense is going to blossom though in my opinion. He has a nack for going up for rebounds and being in the right spot for blocks. I wouldn't compare him to a Trevor Ariza though, I would say a more athletic Thabo with the ability to cut to the basket (watch his old videos).
method
RealGM
And1: 299

Post#373 » by method » Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:14 pm

MagicTownBaller wrote:
Clincher wrote:
FFBlitzace wrote:The Knicks are pretty good, but like the Nets, they have absolutely no chance of beating a healthy Heat team. Honestly, unless the Lakers can get straightened out, the Heat are likely to just waltz their way to another title, like it or not.

I agree but we did beat them on opening day without some pieces(Amare/Shumpert) to be fair.

To be fair, the Knicks play a lot better without Amar'e. I'll give you Shumpert though.
How about Camby to...:)

And Amare gonna come back strong...book it..:)
OrlChamps2030
General Manager
And1: 4,136

Post#374 » by OrlChamps2030 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:34 pm

Bensational wrote:
VGOSWAMI wrote:
John Denton ‏@JohnDenton555
#Magic Mo Harkless: "I wish I would have played more in the end because I thought I was doing a pretty good job on Carmelo."

this doesn't impress me at all. whether or not he did play well (and, i agree that he should have played more), it shouldn't be up to him to judge how well he played this early into his career. i want him saying "coach said i did well", not "i think i did well". that's a sign he's putting his own judgement ahead of the team.

i don't really care, as i'd rather just throw him into the deep end, but comments like these don't make me think we've got the next Durant/Duncan on the team in terms of attitude. still... it's great to see him displaying some of that potential.

Sorry man but I disagree with you 100%.

I am not even a Harkless fanboy.. I was spectacle when he first came here but his measurements and upside are promising.

I think confidence from rookies (especially 19 year old rookies) is a great thing. A young player being gun-shy is a great way to stunt development.
KnicksScholar24
RealGM
And1: 287

Post#375 » by KnicksScholar24 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:03 pm

I like Harkless. He has nice potential. The other rookie forward was solid too.
It's hard being a Knicks fan...
SmiteaDwight
Banned User
And1: 14

Post#376 » by SmiteaDwight » Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:03 pm

FYI

nbadraft.net compares Harkless to James Posey. Another good comparison for him, insures everyone's confidence that he can become a good shooter without the hubris of saying he will be a surefire all star.
mhectorgato
RealGM
And1: 574

Post#377 » by mhectorgato » Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:21 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJjl-9VD71A[/youtube]
NEM wrote: However, I'm a fan of my team winning so, keep the winning coming. All the "tank" fans can take their crap to another board. We are here to win.
OrlChamps2030
General Manager
And1: 4,136

Post#378 » by OrlChamps2030 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:43 pm

mhectorgato wrote:[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJjl-9VD71A[/youtube]

If McBob caught that the place would have gone nuts..
G-Heel
Head Coach
And1: 365

Post#379 » by G-Heel » Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:16 pm

mhectorgato wrote:[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJjl-9VD71A[/youtube]

That's like 3 blocks in 10 seconds of game time, although the 3rd one doesn't look like a block to me.
Fire Otis!
AdamTheGreek
RealGM
And1: 2,112

Post#380 » by AdamTheGreek » Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:19 pm

SmiteaDwight wrote:FYI

nbadraft.net compares Harkless to James Posey. Another good comparison for him, insures everyone's confidence that he can become a good shooter without the hubris of saying he will be a surefire all star.

I don't see the comparison at all actually. Athleticism nor style of play match by any means. Maurice will be way better than Posey when it's all said and done.
Twitter: @PapageorgiouMBO
Penny & Pops Podcast (Orlando Magic): https://soundcloud.com/137665379

Return to Orlando Magic