ImageImageImageImage

Trade Big Baby Thread

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

BadMofoPimp
RealGM
And1: 11,574

Re: Trade Big Baby Thread 

Post#121 » by BadMofoPimp » Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:12 pm

tiderulz wrote:
BadMofoPimp wrote:Playing backup minutes against backup players doesn't make someone superior offensively. If Nicholson played with the starters now, he would get worked on both sides of the floor and hurt the team. That is why he isn't playing much. He is not ready to play with the big dogs. Vaughn and about every coach knows this.

no. But many players get better when they practice and play against better competition. And who cares if Nicholson and the team get worked right now, isnt this a tank year anyways? If Nicholson can cut his teeth, and the team can identify if he can get better and be NBA caliber PF or if he will be a backup/role player for a long time.

Tell that to The Owner, Orlando Magic Organization, The Coaching Staff, the other players on the team and most of the fans that attend games at the Arena if they don't mind tanking and getting whupped by 20 points just so we can develop young players.

FYI. NBA Franchises are not in the league to lose money or put out a bad product. Especially, after the past 7 years of success.

This is the entertainment business.

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
OrlandO
RealGM
And1: 16,421

Post#122 » by OrlandO » Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:27 pm

How about we bump Nicholson from 10 to 20 minutes a game as a backup before we throw him into the fire as a 30+ minute starter? What's with the all or nothing approach? It's too early for him to start... the coach won't start him over a veteran like big baby, so you're better off campaigning for a more realistic scenario. He could easily take minutes away from McBob/Ayon and that will give us a chance to see where he's at when given consistent time. He can try to earn the starting spot from there.
trebone
Lead Assistant
And1: 324

Post#123 » by trebone » Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:43 pm

OrlandO wrote:How about we bump Nicholson from 10 to 20 minutes a game as a backup before we throw him into the fire as a 30+ minute starter? What's with the all or nothing approach? It's too early for him to start... the coach won't start him over a veteran like big baby, so you're better off campaigning for a more realistic scenario. He could easily take minutes away from McBob/Ayon and that will give us a chance to see where he's at when given consistent time. He can try to earn the starting spot from there.

I like most on his board feel Nicholson needs more than the 9 min he got last night, he needs to be getting the 18-22 per IMO, I hope when/if Harrington comes back he doesnt take minutes away from AN.

I think the general consensus from the board is that if we are going to lose most nights lets at least see if we have a few young guys worth building the future with (Harkless, Nicholson, Vucci) and give them meaningful minutes to prove they belong in the league, I personally think Hark will be pretty good maybe a Granger ceiling, just seems to have a nose for the ball, not overly impressed with Vucci seems like he has the Kwame Brown hands condition.
BadMofoPimp
RealGM

Post#124 » by BadMofoPimp » Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:59 pm

It really is way too early in the season to really be arguing over how many minutes rookies should be getting.

Think about it. How would Henny be able to unload Ayon or McRoberts if they aren't playing because the rookies are thrown in prematurely. We are trying to build trade value for players Coaches are observing to decide if they will be kept. We know we are keeping Harkless and Nicholson.

If Nicholson is playing good and still getting 9mpg towards the 2nd half of the season, then this argument would be justified.

In my opinion, people are overreacting.

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
OrlChamps2030
General Manager
And1: 4,139

Post#125 » by OrlChamps2030 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:36 pm

BadMofoPimp wrote:It really is way too early in the season to really be arguing over how many minutes rookies should be getting.

Think about it. How would Henny be able to unload Ayon or McRoberts if they aren't playing because the rookies are thrown in prematurely. We are trying to build trade value for players Coaches are observing to decide if they will be kept. We know we are keeping Harkless and Nicholson.

If Nicholson is playing good and still getting 9mpg towards the 2nd half of the season, then this argument would be justified.

In my opinion, people are overreacting.

I agree with you here. And I think it stems from the anti-SVG crowd's #1 complaint about him: his lack of playing young players. However since it has been so many years since we have had anyone young that is actually worthwhile guys have forgotten that young players still have to earn and fight for their minutes. I share the same feelings as you, nonissue right now and I expect the rotation to get shifted around closer to the TDL. If Harkless and Nicholson keep playing like they are, they will get increased mins eventually.
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,079

Post#126 » by tiderulz » Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:45 pm

BadMofoPimp wrote:
tiderulz wrote:
BadMofoPimp wrote:Playing backup minutes against backup players doesn't make someone superior offensively. If Nicholson played with the starters now, he would get worked on both sides of the floor and hurt the team. That is why he isn't playing much. He is not ready to play with the big dogs. Vaughn and about every coach knows this.

no. But many players get better when they practice and play against better competition. And who cares if Nicholson and the team get worked right now, isnt this a tank year anyways? If Nicholson can cut his teeth, and the team can identify if he can get better and be NBA caliber PF or if he will be a backup/role player for a long time.

Tell that to The Owner, Orlando Magic Organization, The Coaching Staff, the other players on the team and most of the fans that attend games at the Arena if they don't mind tanking and getting whupped by 20 points just so we can develop young players.

FYI. NBA Franchises are not in the league to lose money or put out a bad product. Especially, after the past 7 years of success.

This is the entertainment business.

i think they understood that when the Howard trade brought back picks, rookies and a 2nd year center.
BadMofoPimp
RealGM

Post#127 » by BadMofoPimp » Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:01 pm

tiderulz wrote:
i think they understood that when the Howard trade brought back picks, rookies and a 2nd year center.

But, there would be a huge difference putting out a product that lose by over 20 every night with rookie players making a bunch of mistakes and putting out a product that is at least is competitive. Magic are in the business of trying to keep what fans they have left instead of scaring the remaining away.

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
Malik Starks
Junior
And1: 48

Post#128 » by Malik Starks » Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:26 am

trebone wrote:
OrlandO wrote:How about we bump Nicholson from 10 to 20 minutes a game as a backup before we throw him into the fire as a 30+ minute starter? What's with the all or nothing approach? It's too early for him to start... the coach won't start him over a veteran like big baby, so you're better off campaigning for a more realistic scenario. He could easily take minutes away from McBob/Ayon and that will give us a chance to see where he's at when given consistent time. He can try to earn the starting spot from there.

I like most on his board feel Nicholson needs more than the 9 min he got last night, he needs to be getting the 18-22 per IMO, I hope when/if Harrington comes back he doesnt take minutes away from AN.

I think the general consensus from the board is that if we are going to lose most nights lets at least see if we have a few young guys worth building the future with (Harkless, Nicholson, Vucci) and give them meaningful minutes to prove they belong in the league, I personally think Hark will be pretty good maybe a Granger ceiling, just seems to have a nose for the ball, not overly impressed with Vucci seems like he has the Kwame Brown hands condition.

I guess I'm in the minority but I don't think the team is destined to "lose most nights". I think if Jameer were in the lineup we'd be at least 4-3 right now. Even Jeff Van Gundy said on the radio this week that he thought the Magic could be pretty good this year once they got Nelson and Turk back.

As for Nicholson he will get more minutes in time. Baby is only 26, still in his prime, hardly time to toss him aside for a guy that's just a few years younger. He can be a crucial piece of a fully rebuilt Magic roster. Right now is Nicholson's time to learn what it takes to be a pro, develop in practice, weight room, and with limited playing time.

I still believe this is a playoff team this season.
IllMagic04
Analyst
And1: 1,796

Post#129 » by IllMagic04 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:16 pm

I'll say this. If the right deal comes along I'd consider trading baby. (draft pick, cap etc) but as of now I dont see why we should trade him. Lets see how he looks once Jameer comes back. He played well in the playoffs last year and the first game he look great. He seems to work well off Jameer. So lets reserve judgment untill then. I know he takes some bad shots here and there but his effort and passion for the game is something I want our young guys around.

As far as Nicholson goes is it possible that his conditioning isent up to par yet? Cause it doesent make sense for him to play 9 mins. And he isent even brought in untill either late in the 2nd quarter or in some cases not untill the 2nd half. Amost like they are conserving his energy. I think everyone agrees he should get more mins. If he gets killed on the defensive side then so be it. He gotta learn.
freespirit9
Banned User
And1: 4

Post#130 » by freespirit9 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:54 am

Dear god trade this guy. He's a black hole on offense and easily is the most blocked player in the nba. He can't defend against bigger players nor can he rebound. Literally all he can do is try and take charges and force up bad shots. His offensive repertoire makes Dwight look like hakeem. This joke needs to come off the bench on another team and in my books is the worst starting power forward in the nba.
SmiteaDwight
Banned User
And1: 14

Post#131 » by SmiteaDwight » Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:30 am

Baby has one bad game and this thread is popping off again.

Gimme a break.
BadMofoPimp
RealGM

Post#132 » by BadMofoPimp » Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:09 pm

SmiteaDwight wrote:Baby has one bad game and this thread is popping off again.

Gimme a break.

Exactly. BBD just may be one of the most important player on the team. Some fans you can never satisfy. As if there are players that are capable of playing perfect basketball. If BBD was gone, then they would whine about the next player. Why not support the development of all players? Support the entire Magic team instead of just constantly crying about weaknesses without regard for their strengths.

I hope BBD is on the Magic long term just to spite all Magic Crybaby Fans! 8-)

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
Bo Outlaw
Pro Prospect
And1: 225

Post#133 » by Bo Outlaw » Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:26 pm

I think we should trade Davis the offseason we have too many young forwards for him to take there playing time.

I would trade him for a late 1st rounder honestly, not worth much more. Maybe 2 second rounders?
applash
Junior
And1: 47

Post#134 » by applash » Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:39 am

Bo Outlaw wrote:I think we should trade Davis the offseason we have too many young forwards for him to take there playing time.

I would trade him for a late 1st rounder honestly, not worth much more. Maybe 2 second rounders?

I wouldn't trade BBD for any picks in this upcoming draft.
fendilim
RealGM
And1: 5,002

Post#135 » by fendilim » Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:21 am

Bbd and aa is a valuable asset for us. They play with their hearts out every night. Enough to make us look like we're trying to win, but they are also bad enough being not able to make our team win.
G-Heel
Head Coach
And1: 365

Post#136 » by G-Heel » Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:02 am

applash wrote:
Bo Outlaw wrote:I think we should trade Davis the offseason we have too many young forwards for him to take there playing time.

not sure if serious... forgot the green font? or /sarcasm?
Fire Otis!
KillMonger
RealGM
And1: 9,854

Post#137 » by KillMonger » Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:29 am

wow someone bumped this? well for what it's worth i'm on board with trading him. Don't like selfish play and no matter how you want to slice it BBD has a LOT of selfish moments and is too inconsistent with his approach to the game. For like a 4-5 game stretch he'll play selfish me-ball, then for like 1 or 2 games he'll play within the offense and share the ball. The minute we think he's turning the corner and wants to play team ball he'll slip right back into playing me-ball. Don't know if i want him in the youth movement
applash
Junior
And1: 47

Post#138 » by applash » Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:40 am

G-Heel wrote:
applash wrote:

I'm not adverse to trading him, but not for picks in a very weak draft. The guy does do a lot of things right. He adds a toughness to our defense and has the ability to score. A mid to late 1st round pick in this draft will not bring us what he has.

However trading him for some proven young talent à la JJ Redick for Tobias Harris. I'm all for it.
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,818

Post#139 » by drsd » Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:09 am

applash wrote:I'm not adverse to trading him, but not for picks in a very weak draft. The guy does do a lot of things right. He adds a toughness to our defense and has the ability to score. A mid to late 1st round pick in this draft will not bring us what he has.

However trading him for some proven young talent à la JJ Redick for Tobias Harris. I'm all for it.

Davis and Harrington will be shipped in before the 2014/15 off-season. For Harrington, this might be the coming off-season. And as to your Redick statement, if Orlando could get a Kendall Marshall or Marquis Teague back, that would be ace.
G-Heel
Head Coach
And1: 365

Post#140 » by G-Heel » Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:13 am

applash wrote:
G-Heel wrote:
applash wrote:

I'm not adverse to trading him, but not for picks in a very weak draft. The guy does do a lot of things right. He adds a toughness to our defense and has the ability to score. A mid to late 1st round pick in this draft will not bring us what he has.

1. You said ANY picks. That's just crazy. I can partially understand if you meant mid-to-late 1st pick. I'd trade him for a bag of doritos, but I guess that's just me.
2. BBD is so overrated defensively. He's decent, but he isn't a difference maker on defense.
3. He also isn't a difference maker on offense. He an inefficient PF that loves to chuck up shots...

He was a good role player in Boston, but I don't know what happened. Now, he only do well if he takes a ton of shots and no team is going to contend if they have BBD taking 15-20 shots on 40-44% shooting. I'm sorry, but he's trash. Again, just my opinion and I'm sure a lot of you won't agree with me.
Fire Otis!

Return to Orlando Magic